Manga Translations?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Manga Translations?

Post by Danfun64 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:00 am

Information on the various dubs subs and fansubs of the DB anime is fairly easy to find (Examples: AB Groupe French dub being the source of most DB DBZ and DBGT dubs throughout Europe with bad scripts filled with strange dub errors and poorly done censorship, Italian dub uncut and accurate but simplifying things (apparently), Toei Engrish scripts used by Funi and the various spain dubs (and possibly the Speedy dub as well), Funi English dub being the source of most DBZ Kai dubs, Anime Labs having poor translations at best and !@#$*()&$@#& at worst (so bad it's good?) etc)...

However, finding info on the various translations and scanlations of the manga is much harder. I know that the Viz English translation is fairly accurate, if loose on the translation, and the German/Dutch(?) translations are even more accurate (or at least more literal) but what about other regions and languages? Is the French version of the manga just as bad as the anime dubs (not counting Kai and beyond, of course)? How accurate is the Latin American manga translations compared to the European Spanish/Portuguese translations? What about the other countries around the world?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Manga Translations?

Post by Adamant » Sat May 14, 2016 3:00 am

I believe the recent French retranslation of the manga is generally hailed as one of the best.
Not knowing French, I can't really personally vouch or it, but I'm sure others here can.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat May 14, 2016 4:13 am

The current Spanish translation, used in the Kanzenban edition, is quite good. It's the same one used in the Tankobon edition, and IIRC, it partially keeps the first translation done in the 90s, only refined and spot-checked for mistakes.
The Full Color editoons are being retranslated from scratch by a well-known translator, but their reception has being mixed. They're really faithful to the source material and don't hesitate to correct some terminology (Kami-sama to God is the only example I can think about right now) but some people complain that the language is too modern-sounding, and it may look a bit out of place in some characters. Personally, I've only read the first volume of the Saiyan arc, and enjoyed it.

There are, at least, one Mexican translation and another one made in Argentina, but I haven't read anything of them, so I really can't compare. Also, the Tankobon Spanish translation was translated to Portuguese for one of their editions of the Tankobons.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun May 15, 2016 10:04 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Also, the Tankobon Spanish translation was translated to Portuguese for one of their editions of the Tankobons.
And it was terrible. The person who translated from Spanish to Portuguese was utterly incompetent, using literal translations of several Spanish idioms. It reads really poorly.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Sun May 15, 2016 10:36 am

The Danish translation was most likely based off of the German translation, which I haven't read, but apparently it was pretty accurate. The Norwegian translation might have been based on the Danish one.

As for the Danish translation itself, it seems pretty accurate as well, although the language seems a bit "spiced up" from the Japanese version, but that might be a holdover from the German source. Personally, I thought the translation was great. It flowed very well, and there wasn't a moment of jarringly out-of-character dialogue. The readers seemed to agree, as they praised the translation in "Dragon Ball Corner", a mailbox section at the end of each volume.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 16, 2016 2:26 am

DragonDuck wrote:The Danish translation was most likely based off of the German translation, which I haven't read, but apparently it was pretty accurate. The Norwegian translation might have been based on the Danish one.
It flipflopped a bit between which sources it used, I believe. Either way, it's extremely poorly written and fans generally advocated importing the Danish version instead.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm

In Brazil, we had three publications. Conrad released the tankobon in 2000, dividing in two parts (Dragon Ball and DBZ, just like Viz did), and the kanzenban in 2005, incomplete because the publisher bankrupted. I can't say anything about those, since I never put my hand in an edition. However, Panini Comics did their own tankobon release in 2012 (releasing vol 42 in october 2015), which I got it complete just 3 days ago (yay!). I was unaware if we had the tankobon format with kanzenban corrections (the "WELL COME" sign is there), but I checked myself and it still have the 20k power level Vegeta in Namek, Trunks still says #19 and #20 to Goku in his first arrival (maybe only China had this corrected), but I'm confused because the Cell Games date here is May 26th. Maybe the only correction
I'm still reading it and I'm on vol 4. They translated direct from the japanese release, and I could say it's the best translation you could have, official or not, anime or manga. Some liberties here or there were taken, like adaptating Gyumaou and Chi-Chi provincian accent to a "caipira" (country bumpkin) way to speak. Just checked some other volumes and we have some anime translation influences, so we still have saiyajin and namekuseijin (and ALSO Namekusei) in this translation. For the script, I can't find anything wrong. Every single detail is faythful to the source