How would you like Super to end?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yomi
Regular

Re: How would you like Super to end?

Post by Yomi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:26 pm

I would like it to be open ended, what I didn't like about the GT ending, and GT in general was how sad it was.
Everyone was old and dried up, and the adventure was over. When Goku met Krillin for the last time and
he looked like he was 98 years old it was very disheartening, because I remember when he was just a little twerp
carrying milk.
:clap:

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Yomi wrote:Everyone was old and dried up, and the adventure was over.
There was some realism in a sense, though. Goku and his friends had passed and made way for the new generation (Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr.).

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:38 pm

It does depend on if they're going to make a "Super Z" or a "Z Reborn" shameless plug after Super's end or not. If they will, then I hope for a light-hearted and simple end which lets EoZ happen as normal, and then the next show begins after that as a sort of "canon GT".

For the final ending, and this works in both cases: The Dragon Ball Online-style ending that people have mentioned before. Goku and Vegeta, sensing that they're growing old, go out into space and have an all-out final battle that ends up killing them both. I'd like that. The final fight ending allows us to see the definite end of something without closing off everything like GT did by going 100 years forward and killing everyone we know except Pan off. In my opinion, Z's ending was too open and GT's was too closed. This would be able to fall between the two extremes.

That ending also happens around Age 800, which allows for several (many, even) arcs that aren't stuck in the same part of the timeline like Super is right now. It'd also directly overwrite GT, so that's another bonus.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:48 pm

With the way Super has portrayed Goku and Vegeta's relationship, is there even any meaning in a rematch between the two? I mean, they've sparred together, Goku's fought a clone of his (soon, Vegeta will fight a clone of Goku's!), they're both students of Whis, and they even bickered in the middle of the Frieza battle (at least in the movie; I never watched the shitty arc). Top that with the show trampling on Vegeta's pride, time and again. The novelty is gone, thanks to Super. Can anyone even imagine a dramatic showdown in a series like this? I sure as hell can't.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:52 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:With the way Super has portrayed Goku and Vegeta's relationship, is there even any meaning in a rematch between the two? I mean, they've sparred together, Goku's fought a clone of his (soon, Vegeta will fight a clone of Goku's!), they're both students of Whis, and they even bickered in the middle of the Frieza battle (at least in the movie; I never watched the shitty arc). Top that with the show trampling on Vegeta's pride, time and again. The novelty is gone, thanks to Super. Can anyone even imagine a dramatic showdown in a series like this? I sure as hell can't.
Doesn't change the fact that Vegeta is still Vegeta, and although he's shown to encourage his fellow Saiyan men (Cabba) to become as strong as him, this isn't the case for Goku. After Goku's SSJGSSJ Kaio-ken stunt in the Universe Tournament arc, I doubt he's let that slip passed him.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Finish it before EOZ, then start new post-EOZ series that focuses on new generation (Goten, Bra, etc)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:09 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:1 fight I have wanted to see throughout the whole series is Piccolo vs Vegeta.
There was tension between them during the battle with Freeza and the androids so I'm actually surprised it never happened, it felt like a natural direction to take the characters in.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:20 pm

ryou766 wrote:
JoeCapricorn wrote:I want the final arc to involve Pan going Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 8 against Evil Zeno fused with Zarama, restoring the 12 Universes to peace at last.
Pointless and tasteless posts like these aren't in any way contributing to the thread. Please refrain from typing away said posts. Thank you.
No. Also, you're not a freaking mod, you joined last week.

I was actually serious... somewhat.

I'm in the camp that does not really want the series to end, so an open-ended "ending" would be cool.

But I also would like for Super to not only go beyond EOZ but rewrite the events of GT. The new major heroes of Dragon Ball at EOZ were implied to be Uub and possibly Pan, so having her in a major role defeating a major villain would be neat. I don't want a repeat of GT Pan (even though I'm not as critical of that character as others around here, my biggest complaint is her lack of Super Saiyan transformation despite having a considerable amount of power). Dragon Ball Super could go from being the Goku and Vegeta show to the Uub and Pan show. Can you imagine those two as rivals for the fun of it?

Sure, SSGSS8 is probably hyperbole, as well as an Evil Zeno, but I was just thinking of new horizons that seem ridiculous for Dragon Ball Super even though at the moment Goku and Vegeta are basically gods with the ability to destroy the Universe. It's also reasonable to expect villains in the far future might not be as powerful as Beerus or even Majin Buu, but still pose a threat because there would be different heroes - and Goku and Vegeta aren't going to be around forever.

Although I also don't think Dragon Ball could continue without Goku. Hmm.
Last edited by JoeCapricorn on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:1 fight I have wanted to see throughout the whole series is Piccolo vs Vegeta.
There was tension between them during the battle with Freeza and the androids so I'm actually surprised it never happened, it felt like a natural direction to take the characters in.
Exactly the reason why I want it and it can be called the battle of the crossed arms!

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Buu wakes up and it was just a horrible, horrible dream. Think about it: the over simplified & overused character tropes, constant food obsession, nothing really makes any
sense, characters that are just hollow caricatures, the childish and brain dead gags, etc. It fits right in with Buu's child-like understanding.

And of course, a formal apology by Akira and Toei to the fans.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Goku and Vegeta, on the verge of realising their prime fighting years are almost over, fighting to death and in the process creating a supernova as a result of their battle, just like what happened in Dragon Ball Online. That would be the perfect way to send off the Super, if it gets that far.

EDIT: I just realised that apparently the supernova was visible from Earth, and if that is the case, then the planet should be toast if it's close enough to view a supernova-esque explosion. My dream ending just became hilariously horrifying. :lol:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku and Vegeta, on the verge of realising the prime fighting years are almost over, fighting to death and in the process creating a supernova a result of their battle, just like what happened in Dragon Ball Online. That would be the perfect way to send off the Super, if it gets that far.
That would be the perfect way to end DBZ or GT, not Super. Just reading that seems so out of place for this series. Maybe an ice cream eating contest where they both lose consciousness from brain freeze would be more fitting.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Raditz

Post by Raditz » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:35 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:With a formal apology.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Raditz wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:With a formal apology.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:59 pm

With a final showdown of Goku and Vegeta being old on another planet far far away from Earth similar to DBO. I don't think Toei and Toriyama will care about if it over shadows Goku. They probably treat Super as it's own thing than a sequel set after DBZ and before GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:42 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Maybe an ice cream eating contest where they both lose consciousness from brain freeze would be more fitting.
With Super's lighthearted tone, I wouldn't be surprised if Goku and Vegeta's battle ended up like this.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:02 pm

End the series before they announce Uub! Leave the EOZ alone and don't destroy it! Leave it as it is with the 1990's art and animation. It was a great way to round off DBZ.
They can't possibly milk this series anymore after this Trunks arc && We all know this series was just a quick cashgrab.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:39 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:End the series before they announce Uub! Leave the EOZ alone and don't destroy it! Leave it as it is with the 1990's art and animation. It was a great way to round off DBZ.
They can't possibly milk this series anymore after this Trunks arc && We all know this series was just a quick cashgrab.
Yeah, i was about to say this. End it before EoZ, so it can be skippable like GT. And EoZ stays as official ending.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:06 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:End the series before they announce Uub! Leave the EOZ alone and don't destroy it! Leave it as it is with the 1990's art and animation. It was a great way to round off DBZ.
TOEI have already screwed with EoZ by throwing Goku's reference to Uub in episode 30.
HybridSaiyan wrote:They can't possibly milk this series anymore after this Trunks arc && We all know this series was just a quick cashgrab.
This series will be milked as long as it makes money, it's becoming like Pokémon, and they will find a way mark my words.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:32 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:They can't possibly milk this series anymore after this Trunks arc.
We have a 12 universe tournament and possibly a visit to U6's Saiyan planet at the very least so this show isn't going anywhere.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.