Dragon Ball GT - What Are Your Favorite Episodes/Moments?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball GT - What Are Your Favorite Episodes/Moments?

Post by MajinMan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:35 pm

I haven't really seen many positive GT threads lately and wanted to make one talking about its positives. So, what are your favorite episodes/moments in GT?

My list would be:

Baby/Black Star Dragon Ball arcs

1. Episode 15/Pan runs away. This was the first episode in GT that I really, really liked. The artstyle, Pan's situation, and music made for a wonderful and emotional episode. This is probably my favorite episode overall.

2. Gill/Giru's "betrayal." I liked how believable it seemed at first, even though I knew he wasn't actually evil the whole time. Pretty good plan set up by Trunks and Gill.

3. Baby's reveal. This was probably the creepiest scene in GT. The way Baby was shown in his fetal position with those bulging eyes was disturbing. Great introduction for the best villain in GT.

4. Baby takes attacks Earth. Baby's attack on Earth could have been handled a bit better, but I liked how he slowly took out the strongest Z-Fighters and made them his slaves, along with the rest of the Earth.

5. Entire Super Saiyan 4 sequence. One of the best transformation sequences in the entire franchise. The beautiful music, emotional flashbacks, and just overall coolness makes it THE defining moment for GT.

Super 17 arc

1. I liked the beginning of the Super 17 vs Goku fight, with that sunset backdrop. Sadly I got nothing else to say about this arc.

Evil Dragons arc

1. The whole Blue Shenlong scene. Like many other people, I really love the premise for this arc. It started out with loads of potential.

2. Goku's inner battle against the 7-Star Dragon. Any moment that involves Goku and Pan in some sort of struggle, I like. This is one of the better ones.

3. Episode 63/Universal Genkidama. I think this episode was fantastic and a great way to kill the final villain. Loved every bit of it.

4. The ending. The mystique that surrounds GT's ending is one the behold. It always makes me emotional, and is probably the saddest episode in Dragon Ball for me.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball GT - What Are Your Favorite Episodes/Moments

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Goku turning SSJ4 and Goku doing the Genki dama

From what I remember, Goku doing the super dragon fist on Eis and him fighting Nova was cool.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:19 pm

I like quite a bit, but:

-Love episode 2
-Episode 15 and the arrival on M2 probably best deliver the aesthetic the early part of the series tried to go for: A kind of relaxed, pastel-colored space adventure with mysteries here and there. Both episodes 15 and 16 are really enjoyable, the former being an animation highlight
-Although it drags a bit, I like a lot of the beats at the Luud Cult's planet -- Goku's instant win against the giant robot lion, the fight against Mutchi-Mutchi, who has a rather creative power set, etc.
-Goku vs. Rilld is start-to-finish great. It's fairly light on action, when you break it down, but the direction is just stellar. It's really visually pleasing.
-I'm not sure how I would have felt about them airing on TV for two consecutive weeks, but I get a kick out of the Sugoroku Space episodes
-Baby is ... okay. I like how amazingly creepy he is early in the arc. As soon as he takes over Vegeta, both he and the arc become less interesting for me. I like the setting of the Tuffle planet quite a bit, aesthetically, but the fight between Goku and Baby doesn't do a whole lot for me. It's a serviceable climax.

-As a six-episode interlude, I don't find anything about the Super 17 arc overly offensive. I really enjoy its climactic fight, particularly its first episode, with the sunset background mentioned above. The constant change of locales is refreshing.

-I kind of like Piccolo staying in Hell. Mostly for his final scene with Goku in episode 64.

-The whole Evil Dragons arc is an enjoyable ride. The only dull spots, really, are the fight against the Five-Star Dragon and the Vegeta clipshow episode. Every other episode would earn fairly high marks from me, and I don't mind at all the way it shifts from an episodic format into a more drawn out climax. It does feel like they missed a low-hanging fruit by not having more of the cast split up to fight the weaker dragons, but what we get from Goku and Pan is entertaining and in line with the series' earlier character focus. The last two episodes are fantastic, and the TV special is a nice epilogue to the series.

-In particular, Goku and Kuririn's moment near the end of the last episode is one of the best scenes in anything bearing the name Dragon Ball.

I also love--love--what they did with the sky in the Evil Dragons arc, and in general the entire color palette for the series. GT took some bizarre risks, going in directions both design- and story-wise Toriyama never would have ventured, and I largely mean that as a compliment, especially for the way they allow it to feel like an epilogue. There are times you can tell a team of writers is at the helm rather than a single author, but it's frankly shocking it came out as distinct as it did.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Episode 64 would have to be my favorite.

Although it's been speculated for years on end, I'm one of the people who believe Goku had died during his battle with Yi Xing Long; but made a deal in which he would give his life to Shenron in exchange for Yi Xing Long's defeat and Earth's safety. He returns, defeats Yi Xing Long, says farewell to each of his friends (with only a select three understanding the situation: Piccolo, Vegeta and Roshi), and ultimately becomes a vessel for the Dragon Balls.

Anyways, I found his farewells to Kuririn, Roshi and Piccolo to be a touching one. I also liked how Roshi and Piccolo truly understood what had happened to Goku while Kuririn was left clueless.

Here is the scene.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:31 pm

Goku and Vegeta going Ssj4.

Ssj4 Goku's battle against baby.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:16 pm

I need to rewatch it, but off the top of my head, Episode 30 where Goku winds up in the Sugoroku Space is dumb fun, along with whatever episode he fights Freeza and Cell. Oh, and looking at the episode list on the main site, Uub makes his triumphant return immediately after Sugoroku Space. That portion was fun, if just a distraction/letdown while we wait for Goku.

Really, for all he amounts to, Uub's few seconds in the spotlight never feel like a total waste. He more or less leads the charge against the hoards of Hell until 17 wipes out all non-Goku folks, and of course, Papaya Man. He expresses a confidence you'd want to see from Goku's handpicked successor.

Beyond that, everyone else's favorites line up with my own. The final episode, Piccolo's death, the Four-Star Dragon being cool... I'm not as keen on Super Saiyan 4 as most, though. Oh, and the TV special is good.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 pm

1. Goku Turning SSJ4 for the first time.
2. Majin Buu and Uub Fusing.
3. Gogeta SSJ4 Five minute footage.
4. Goku dying but coming back to finish off Omega.
5. Goku leaving with Shen long. The moment he says " Shenlong's back sure is warm" really brought tears to my eyes since it made me overthink his remark as to why Shenlong's back felt so warm and it was because Goku was stone cold (dead) and felt Shenlong's back really comforting.
6. The fact that Goku was defeated really made me upset but the way they handled Goku's death that it really can pass by to almost everyone since it was subtle. It wasn't that obvious specially when you see the episode for the first time.
7. Keeping up with the subtle Death reference, Goku saying good bye to Piccolo and Co.Both Muten Roshi and Piccolo realizing Goku was dead all along was a really nice touch.
8. Funny moment? Trunksette.

By the way, Goku's death plot thing, was completely ignored by Funimation. So, keep that in mind.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Oh, that's another thing I had unfortunately forgotten to include. Goku's transformation to SSJ4 was one of the best transformations in all of Dragon Ball history in book.

Exclude Nozawa's terrible Oozaru screams, this scene had a majestic feel to it in addition to the "Dan Dan" slow instrumental in the background.

Clip.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:10 pm

From the original.

*Pan sheds some tears feeling Goku is alive, feeling the Genkidama*

"Granpa ...!"

*Pan sees the Universal Genkidama*

"Granpa, you look like a god!"

He is, Pan, he is.

Dub:

Vegeta:

"This is for Kakarott!"
"And I admire your ability to die!"

Goku in both versions:

"Who uses a taxi and does not pay afterwards?"
Goku: "I know, that's Vegeta!"

- the part where the camera scrolls to Baby's container and revealss that in a dark corner of the universe the demise of the Saiyajin has been sleeping
- the raining part of the battle Goku vs Baby
. the ending
and many more
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Cetra wrote:From the original.

*Pan sheds some tears feeling Goku is alive, feeling the Genkidama*

"Granpa ...!"

*Pan sees the Universal Genkidama*

"Granpa, you look like a god!"

He is, Pan, he is.

Dub:

Vegeta:

"This is for Kakarott!"
"And I admire your ability to die!"

Goku in both versions:

"Who uses a taxi and does not pay afterwards?"
Goku: "I know, that's Vegeta!"

- the part where the camera scrolls to Baby's container and revealss that in a dark corner of the universe the demise of the Saiyajin has been sleeping
- the raining part of the battle Goku vs Baby
. the ending
and many more
Bebi opening his eyes was a really scary moment.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Episode 64 is the standout episode of GT and one of the standout episodes of the entire anime franchise. For all the shit I and several fans give GT, I will defend that episode as one of the greatest episodes the anime franchise has ever produced. The final five minutes in particular just kill me. It was just masterfully handled. And if they reused that episode for the final episode of Super, I honestly wouldn't mind one bit. GT ended story perfectly.

Other moments I also really liked but not as much:
- Goku's SSJ4 transformation scene
- Goku blasting Baby into the sun with a Kamehameha
- Everything lead up to the Goku killing Omega Shenlong with the Genki Dama
- SSJ4 Gogeta's shenanigans
- Majin Boo saying goodbye to Mr Satan and fusing with Oob

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Majin Boo saying goodbye to Mr Satan and fusing with Oob
Boo saying "I love you" to Mr. Satan broke me inside.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:17 pm

ryou766 wrote:
I really wish we could trade GT Majin Boo for Super Majin Boo.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:22 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Another thing I like about GT is how Piccolo and Buu weren't wished back somehow, it was great to see something unfortunate be permanent and not fixed at the end by Shenron.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Now that you mentioned it, Piccolo causing chaos in Heaven to go to Hell in order to help Goku escape was also a nice touch they added.

Granted, I felt as though Piccolo's role could have been more properly used in GT, but I'm not one to complain since he didn't do much in the Boo arc.