Krillin's best friend

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Krillin's best friend

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:58 am

I know that Goku seems (or seemed to pre Vegeta) to regard Krillin as his best friend, but I've been thinking that perhaps he isn't Krillin's best friend.

Sure they trained together for like 9 months, then fight in the tournament and spend a couple of days together in the RRA arc.

But it's at this point that Yamcha, who Krillin had met only briefly really, trains with him under Roshi for the next 3 years. Then after the King Piccolo arc spends another 3 years training with him.

Krillin barely sees Goku over the events of 6 years in DB, then proceeds to not see him for 5 more years. (I always find this stupid considering that Goku's friends are just as capable of visiting him as he is them).

Sure Krillin is devastated at Goku's death by Piccolo, but going back to his friendship with Yamcha (who I'm certain that he's seen over the 5 year gap between DB & DBZ) look how devastated Krillin is at Yamcha's death by the Saibaman.

I'm not detracting from Goku being Krillin's friend. It's just that I feel ironically Goku values the friendship more than Krillin does despite putting minimal effort into it.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Krillin's best friend

Post by B » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm not sure Goku is capable of thinking about it in those terms. If anything, I would say Kuririn places "extra" importance on their relationship versus how he(Kuririn) feels about everyone else, and Goku cares about everyone pretty much equally. And if you want to try and quantify a relationship with time spent, you could also say Goku and Kuririn have experienced a lot more life-and-death situations together. There's the pirate cave, the fight with Vegeta, and the fight with Freeza. Yamcha is either absent or taken out very soon in all those instances. Plus you have the the 22nd tournament where Yamcha is hospitalized, and Goku and Kuririn have their match-up and the chance to truly test their abilities against each other. Yamcha and Goku have had scraps together too, but it was less one-on-one. Goku gives Kuririn the Genki Dama when fighting Vegeta, and of course watched him die by Freeza's hands.

At the end of the day, I don't think any of the involved parties are too worried about it. I don't want to over-generalize, but the core cast are all kind of big, dumb jocks.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Krillin's best friend

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:I know that Goku seems (or seemed to pre Vegeta) to regard Krillin as his best friend, but I've been thinking that perhaps he isn't Krillin's best friend.

Sure they trained together for like 9 months, then fight in the tournament and spend a couple of days together in the RRA arc.

But it's at this point that Yamcha, who Krillin had met only briefly really, trains with him under Roshi for the next 3 years. Then after the King Piccolo arc spends another 3 years training with him.

Krillin barely sees Goku over the events of 6 years in DB, then proceeds to not see him for 5 more years. (I always find this stupid considering that Goku's friends are just as capable of visiting him as he is them).

Sure Krillin is devastated at Goku's death by Piccolo, but going back to his friendship with Yamcha (who I'm certain that he's seen over the 5 year gap between DB & DBZ) look how devastated Krillin is at Yamcha's death by the Saibaman.

I'm not detracting from Goku being Krillin's friend. It's just that I feel ironically Goku values the friendship more than Krillin does despite putting minimal effort into it.
I feel like Goku would say something like:

Best friend? Whats that? We're all friends here right guys?

And everyone would go "Ugh" have anime X eyes and fall over :lol:
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"