Your favorite outfits/Dogis in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Your favorite outfits/Dogis in the franchise?

Post by Xeztin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:13 pm

What are your favorite outfits/dogis of the characters in the franchise? My favorites would have to be EoZ Goku and Goku and Vegeta's RoF outfits. I don't know why but I like Kuririn's taco shirt. My absolute favorite is an unofficial one that Goku has in that SSJ5 AF drawing, I thought it looked very different and futuristic.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Re: Your favorite outfits/Dogis in the franchise?

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Goku Black's is an instant favorite of mine.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Goku's classic orange and blue dogi will never be topped for me, but I loved Goku's ROF outfit as well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:53 pm

The ROF dougi and armor are my current favorites.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Orange and white from the first arc. Of course the classic Orange and blue will always be amazing. I'm also quite fond of the purple one.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Xeztin wrote:My absolute favorite is an unofficial one that Goku has in that SSJ5 AF drawing, I thought it looked very different and futuristic.
I didn't like it personally because I thought it looked way too over designed with the random symbols all over it and the belt, it doesn't have the East Asian/Monk vibe the outfits should have. Its generally my problem with the fanfic outfits. I do like the DB Absalon outfit for Goku though with the rope-belt. It looks very Samurai-esc to me.

As for favourite canon Dogi, I like Goku's EoZ blue one and the Chinese-Styled shoes he had with it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Goku's Orange and Blue outfit, Vegeta's Cell arc armor & Piccolo's outfit.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Tenshinhan Boo arc clothes are pretty cool. Mirai Trunks in the Bojack movie is just swag. Vegeta's RoF armor suits him great, never like the blue one.
There could be more that I'm forgetting.

Oh and of course, sexy bunny Bulma. :thumbup:

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Piccolo's getup has always had me envious. He shows up with it a the 23rd Budokai, and he never needs to change it. He even keeps it for GT and Super, even when everyone else has had a wardrobe change.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Yamcha's bandit outfit was pretty cool. I also really like Chi-Chi's 23rd Budokai outfit. Gohan-in-Piccolo's-outfit (including the cape) is not only badass but also adorable. Future Trunks's Super outfit is also great. It's different enough from his old outfit to feel new, but still familiar enough to be nostalgic.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:32 pm

This is a tough one.

Might have to go with Resurrection 'F' Goku & Vegeta, or GT Pan. I'd like to see Beerus'/Champa's clothes on someone else though.

Also, does Mecha Frieza count? :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

NothiaBlue

Post by NothiaBlue » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 pm

I like Bulma's Buu arc look, her 2008 OVA outfit, Goku's Cell Arc/Buu arc Gi, Vegeta's ROF battle suit, and i'm very fond of Gohan's child outfit he had as a toddler. One thing I like in general about outfits in Dragon Ball is that they have baggy pants.

One thing I remember about Z when I was little; I really loved (and still do) Chi-Chi's Saiyan arc to Cell arc outfits. Especially her hair; I really liked her hair bun. I even liked her name!
I also love the Gi she wore at the 23rd budokai. I like her present outfit, but I prefer the the earlier 2 I mentioned.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:08 am

In no particular order whatsoever:

1) Yamucha's bandit attire is just fantastic and straight out of a vintage Shaw Bros. epic.

2) Tenshinhan and Chaozu's full Tsurusennin changshans are incredibly distinctive and iconic to me.

3) Tao Pai Pai. Ripped almost directly and wholly out of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

4) Kuririn's original Orinji robes are essentially just a straight up classic Shaolin monk's outfit, but he looks great in it. A pint-sized Gordon Liu in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter or 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

5) Piccolo. With the full turban and cape. As noted, he's never had to change it: for damn good reason. Gohan in the Cell Games wears this outfit rather well also.

6) I'm also rather fond of Old Daimao's full red cloaked getup. An evil version of what Kami would end up looking like obviously, but it works.

7) A very underrated one: Gohan's blue and red training dogi from the early-early Boo era. I really, REALLY loved this one and very much wish it was used way more.

8 ) Gonna second whoever brought up Chi Chi's 23rd Budokai look. Definitely the best era for that character in general.

9) Grandpa Gohan's is a very commonplace Kung Fu "Sifu" garb, but I like the fancy, decorative design Toriyama gives it. I always immediately first think of Chao Chi-Hao's master in King Boxer, who wears the same outfit (though far less elaborately colored).

10) Hard to argue with the original, classic orange Kame dogi. Its iconic for a reason and its what I and virtually everyone else always thinks of first when they think DB. I also do like how Goku subtly modifies his over the years, going from Kanji logo to Kanji logo, subbing out the martial arts belt for a sash, the kung fu slippers for boots, etc. I've always tended to mentally associate the small changes in his dogi with his ever improving strength and mastery.

11) Kaioshin. Kaioshin Kaioshin Kaioshin. Might just be my all time favorite single outfit in the whole damn franchise. The perfect blend of regal and otherworldly, which is totally befitting.

12) I like Brolli's outfit. Always have. Its somewhat Saint Seiya-esque (not that I'm a particularly huge Saint Seiya guy, but the aesthetic definitely works for him). Bleh to the Brolli Backlash Brigade on that one.

13) #18's original outfit from her first appearance and her Boo arc outfit. I think its the sleeves. Simple yet stylish. Also I love the fact that they're both cool looking outfits for a major female character that aren't in the least bit creepily fetishy or sexualized. We could use way, way more of that in general.

14) Mirai Trunks. Giving him a Capsule Corp jacket was a very nice touch.

15) The Freeza army armor/uniforms, as a general whole, are too iconic and enduring to not mention. I love how many different variants of it there are and how some characters, like Zarbon and Tullece's henchmen, add their own personalized touches to them.

16) The Boo arc in general added a very neat Persian aesthetic to a lot of characters (Persian visual motifs in general was, for a period of time in the late 80s/early 90s, a very popular design trend in Japanese anime/manga/video games/media that I've long dearly missed), but overall I most liked the Fusion outfits. They combined the Persian aesthetic via the pants and sashes along with the vests which are just PURE otherwordly, inexplicable Toriyama weirdness.

17) As ridiculous as the Great Saiyaman costume is, when stripped of the helmet and cape it actually does kinda make for a pretty cool green & black dogi.

18) Dr. Gero as #20 (and I suppose #19 by extension). Has a very odd Russian Cossack-like vibe to it, but I dig it. Typically when I think DB I think Chinese, but I'm also in favor of going more international with the flavor of various characters from time to time. Nothing wrong with a bit of eclecticism (so long as the overall central focus on Chinese design aesthetics isn't entirely overwhelmed), especially with a series as already pastiche-laden as this one (though 19's actual physical, non-clothing-specific appearance seems more Chinese-inspired).

19) Gohan's Mandarin scholar robes as a child are rather beautiful and elegant (as dorky as they're supposed to be).

20) Garlic Jr.'s full pre-transformation regalia is pretty visually memorable.

And lastly, since we've now the newer material to consider: if nothing else I REALLY do love a lot of Super's new robes and dogi for various characters. Tenshinhan and Kuririn's new changchans are WONDERFUL, and need to be playable costumes in the next (actually good) Dragon Ball game. I wish Kuririn got to fight more in his rather than switching back to his classic old Kame dogi for the big RoF battle. I also love how Yamucha is now taking after Enter the Dragon Bruce Lee these days.

Image Image

Goku's is fine, but I'm not too big on putting Vegeta back in Freeza armor. Not sure how many people have ever noticed this, but Vegeta's costume evolution over the course of the series, whether intentionally or not (and neither would surprise me really), followed a very specific and cool pattern: when he first appeared as a major villain, he wore full Saiya-jin/Freeza army battle armor with all the elaborate trimmings. Slowly, gradually, the more and more he distances himself from his days as a Freeza merc, his armor gets smaller and smaller and smaller and less and less ornate, until by the Cell arc (via Bulma's design) its barely there, and by the Boo arc he's ditched the armor entirely, but still retains the blue undersuit and the gloves and boots. This weirdly matches up with where he is in that arc: a heavily changed man, but still clinging to and unable to entirely let go of his past as a barbaric killer to some degree. GT kept this up by having him finally ditch all trace vestiges of the Freeza uniform and just wear regular Earth street clothes: matching up with his full conversion by this point.

Whether this was 100% accidental or a conscious choice that was just forgotten about over time, I've always liked it a lot and wish it wasn't reneged on in the newer stuff. Its a VERY minor fanboy-ish nitpick, but still.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:32 am

Goku Orange Dogi (Buu Saga)
Vegeta (Buu Saga)
Ultimate Gohan Orange Dogi
Goku Yardrat Attire
Gohan Orange Dogi (Boajck Movie)
Bulma on Namek
Bulma Red Dress (Buu Saga)
Vegeta on Arlia
Bardock Nakatsuru Design
Future Trunks (Mecha Frieza Era)
Future Trunks (Semi-Perfect Cell)
Future Trunks (Free the future)
Tien Android Saga & Buu Saga
Yamcha Android Saga
Piccolo Driving School
Vegeta BJ Princess Shirt
Gotenks
Majuub

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:08 am

Vegeta's buu saga and ROF outfits.
Goku's old gi (I don't like the l ack of an undershirt in his new one. Looks more like something Gohan would wear. I know he's worn similar things in the past but still.)
Piccolo's outfit without the cape
Future trunks in his black undershirt!
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 am

1) Future Gohan's outfit. It's generally the same as the classic Goku but the longer sleeves and emblem make it unique enough to be one of my favourites.

2) Turles Armour. I just really love the colour scheme of his armour plus the unique gauntlets he has. Overall it's probably my favourite looking Saiyan armour.

3) Future Trunks minus the jacket.

4) Gohan's violet training outfit with the red accents (Buu arc).

5) Goku's Yardrat outfit. It's so bizarre looking yet I've always thought it had a royal quality to it.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 am

Goku's end of Z dogi and Yamcha's kung-fu outfit.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:43 am

-Goku's dogi in the title page for 173 is really cool. It's more flashy than a character like Goku would bother wearing, which is probably why it's only in an out-of-context title page. The Full Color version decides on an orange/red color scheme, but I always envisioned it orange and black. Vaguely related, but I wonder if Justin Chatwin's look in Evolution was a result of James Wong or whoever literally opening up the manga and seeing this.
-Goku's dogi at the end of the series is always nice, if only because we see him in it for such a short period of time, and after years of orange. Toriyama used a dull green for Chapter 519, while DBZ brightened it up to a full-blown aquamarine blue. I don't have a preference there. Also, it's ever-so-slightly different on the 42nd volume cover; the wristbands are dark red/burgundy as opposed to orange, his pants are a greyish blue, and his boots are burgundy and they don't have bandages around them. I guess Goku's dogi in GT also borrows from this look, but it's difficult in my mind to reconcile them with Goku's major tan in that series. I can't pictured GT-tanned Goku wearing anything but his GT garb, and vice versa. And yet, he literally transforms into his "End of Z" clothes, and loses the tan, in the fourth GT ending...
-I really like that Kuririn in the Cell arc adopts Goku's look from the previous two arcs. He's still got the Kame logo, but I like to think of it as his way of paying homage to a friend that saved his life, plus an acknowledgement of where he'd like to end up in regards to his training; Goku is a still a great goalpost at this point. Kuririn grabs a blue umdershirt and swaps the sandals out for boots. Also, while I don't think there's any deeper meaning to it, it should be pointed out Yamcha sticks with "no shirt underneath and sandals", just for that visual pop against Kuririn, who's noticeably different.
-I'm not sure if it's an "outfit" but Pui-Pui, plus all of Babidi's henchmen, plus all of Slug's foot soldiers in movie 4, look really great. I wonder if one inspired the other sometimes.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 am

Goku's End of Z and GT Dogis

Kuririn's outfit from BoG/BoG Arc in Super.

Chi-Chi's Boo/Super outfit

GT Videl's jeans look

Both Vegeta and Goku's Whis training Dogi

Champa's outfit :D

This silly train-wreck of an outfit Gyumao is wearing. He tried at least!

The fused Kaioshin's outfit. I don't think it's any different than Kibito's but it looks a whole lot better on the fused Kaioshin.

And Goku's radish farmer outfit. The new classic to be honest guys.

...Hopefully that's not too much, but those are all my favorites I could think of, at least I think its a pretty diverse list. :)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:00 am

Something pretty cool I only recently noticed about Vegeta's Super outfit (that definitely improves my opinion of it tremendously):

The gray bodysuit underneath his new armor is actually a Kung Fu uniform, with muted trimmings to make it more subtle and not so immediately noticeable.

This is actually the first genuine martial arts dogi that Vegeta's ever worn I think. Before it was always either some variation on his Freeza merc armor or street clothes. I really love it: it keeps the "wearing his character progression" theme of his previous outfits I mentioned earlier in this thread, and I like how its not designed to immediately jump out at you. And I also love the clash of mixing a martial arts dogi with elements of the Freeza army garb (armor, gloves, boots).

If nothing else, Super's costume/dogi designs are really, really cool in general.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.