Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: In this clip of the Brazilian Portuguese dub, their Buu is kind of lackluster as well when it comes to screaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLizsfrr4c
The Vegeta's really nice. That Buu though.....yikes.

mcdjbeatz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdjbeatz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

Mr Satan, most of the time he just eats up screen time contributing nothing to the plot, during his appearances in the cell and early buu arc's he annoys me to the point of either skipping ahead or muting and thinking about how he took the credit of the defeat of several villans makes me want to gnash my teeth. I understand that the z fighters don't want the credit but the fact that Mr Satan did it without even consulting them is what gets me.
All of the Pilaf Gang's appearances in super, once again I feel like they eat up screen time and contribute nothing to the plot most of the time and I feel that they detract from how charming they were in early dragon ball.
Battle of gods and Revival of F being retold in super, in the first place this was quite unnecessary as I thought BOG was near perfect and that ROF was passable from a story standpoint and the fact that the arc's didn't noticably improve on the stories of the movies and how it made ROF worse means I'm never watching these arc's in full ever again.
The future trunks arc, there are so many problems I have with this arc, the amount of fanservice towards Trunks and in general (Fusion, Rose, Evil Goku), the power scaling becoming even more out of wack and the power increases being insane and the retcons and some of the info that was introduced (Fusion, Supreme Kai and Beerus being linked which makes Supreme Kai seem reckless in the Buu Arc), the pacing and the ending of this arc makes me want to stick my head in sand and pretend like this arc never happened.
Goku abandoning his family and friends to train Uub, a person who he had just met. Why couldn't have Goku done it the other way around and taken Uub away from his family.
New characters being introduced instead of developing old ones and then those characters being shafted along with the old ones. #MakePiccoloGreatAgain

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

Something that grind my gears ? :think:
The DB community being a broken base :x

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Fans bashing other people for not liking the series or not liking it as much as they do. This applies to other fanbases as well IMO.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:13 pm

When someone tells me I'm jumping the gun with "Super's gonna fuck this up" predictions. How many times does a show have to prove itself in this regard before you don't get jumped down your throat for assuming the worst?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:When someone tells me I'm jumping the gun with "Super's gonna fuck this up" predictions. How many times does a show have to prove itself in this regard before you don't get jumped down your throat for assuming the worst?
There needs to be some sort of cycle named after this. Can't count the numerous times it's basically used a silence mechanism more than anything else. Not to mention the worst predictions tend to happen more often than not.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:32 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:When someone tells me I'm jumping the gun with "Super's gonna fuck this up" predictions. How many times does a show have to prove itself in this regard before you don't get jumped down your throat for assuming the worst?
There needs to be some sort of cycle named after this. Can't count the numerous times it's basically used a silence mechanism more than anything else. Not to mention the worst predictions tend to happen more often than not.
I Super Cycle seems appropriate.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
What do we call the cycle of when the opposite happens equally as often?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Good storytelling.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:54 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I Super Cycle seems appropriate.
Good storytelling.
what is good storytelling,I never heard about​ that word in my life, and here's the super cycle
    Jinzoningen MULE wrote:1-A poster is revealed, HYPE!!!
    2-High expectations
    3-Insane, misguided fan speculation.
    4-"This is the make or break for DBS." (Has literally happened every time)
    5-First few episodes are good, collective fanbase orgasm
    6-Shit falls apart, nothing makes sense, too much padding, premise gets exhausted
    7-SHIDA!!! (the newest addition to the cycle)
    8-Arc ends, everyone's happy. Good filler episodes for a few more weeks.
    9-NEW ARC ANNOUNCED WTF THAT'S CRAZY SHIT!!!
    1,2,3,4 and 5 already happened, and now 6 is almost there because the recruitment episode are padding,ssb dilemma doesn't make sense still the arc didn't fall apart imo
    Last edited by The gr on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

dbzfan7
    Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
    Kanassa wrote:
    ekrolo2 wrote: I Super Cycle seems appropriate.
    Good storytelling.
    So....extremely sporadic story telling then?
    Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Jinzoningen MULE
    I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:55 pm

The gr wrote:
    ekrolo2 wrote:
    Kanassa wrote: What do we call the cycle of when the opposite happens equally as often?
    Good storytelling.
    what is good storytelling,I never heard about​ that word in my life, and here's the super cycle
      2-High expectations
      6-Shit falls apart, nothing makes sense, too much padding, premise gets exhausted
      1,2,3,4 and 5 already happened, and now 6 is almost there because the recruitment episode are padding,ssb dilemma doesn't make sense still the arc didn't fall apart imo
      Surprised anyone actually used that thing, it wasn't particularly well put-together, despite being 100% accurate. Anyway, going against my past self here, I don't think this arc is going to collapse on itself. We've gotten very conservative work this far, lots of outsourcing too. The series director seems to be actively trying to ensure that everything holds together long-term. Since it's a very basic premise for a story, I don't see it crumbling in on itself either. I'm confident that this arc will hold up just fine, though I doubt it will deliver on the drastic overhype it was given.
      Retired.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
      The gr wrote:
      ekrolo2 wrote: Good storytelling.
        2-High expectations
        Surprised anyone actually used that thing, it wasn't particularly well put-together, despite being 100% accurate. Anyway, going against my past self here, I don't think this arc is going to collapse on itself. We've gotten very conservative work this far, lots of outsourcing too. The series director seems to be actively trying to ensure that everything holds together long-term. Since it's a very basic premise for a story, I don't see it crumbling in on itself either. I'm confident that this arc will hold up just fine, though I doubt it will deliver on the drastic overhype it was given.
        I agree since is a very simple story arc, toei is better suited for simple stories like u6,if the cast usage is great,if the battle royal deliver and if we get a legit ending, then i would consider This decent at best, that's all I want, but this better not be the last arc, and after this they need to pass the eoz
        Mostly active on discord.

ekrolo2
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:41 am

When comicbook.com pretends like they know what they're talking about in their DBSuper articles. Case-in-point, they say Super *finally* referenced Oob but they already did that, about 50 episodes ago.

Baggie_Saiyan
        Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:When comicbook.com pretends like they know what they're talking about in their DBSuper articles. Case-in-point, they say Super *finally* referenced Oob but they already did that, about 50 episodes ago.
        Yeah I saw that on my TL this morning, not a fan of these types of sites just churning out articles just piggybacking off DB's success, Geekdom recently did a video breaking down another common site's "facts you didn't know about DB", it was quite funny actually! :P . With Super being legal now guess it was only inevitable we would get stuff like this.

Guesswhoo
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 am

Toei being OK with average thus shitting all over Akira Toriyama's good work :x

TheGodfather93
        Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 am

The fact that "Female Broly" exists.
        If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Jinzoningen MULE
        I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:45 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:The fact that "Female Broly" exists.
        I could understand this at first, but come on? It's cool for the kids and it's funny, there's no harm.
        Retired.

TheGodfather93
        Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
        I could understand this at first, but come on? It's cool for the kids and it's funny, there's no harm.
        I just really don't like Broly. Super could've done so much with the first female Super Saiyan in the series (outside of video games), and yet it made her SSJ form an almost exact copy of Broly's. I honestly doubt this was Toriyama's idea. It was probably Toei being Toei, taking a hugely marketable - but polarising - character such as Broly and somehow integrating him into Super without actually using him. I'm used to the blatant fanservice by now, but anything with Broly in it just irks me. I can't help it.

I'm going to reserve my final judgement on "Female Broly" (ugh, I hate that name too) until we actually see her in the series and find out more about her, but still, I don't like the fact that she exists in the first place.
        If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

dbgtFO
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:14 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
        Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
        I just really don't like Broly. Super could've done so much with the first female Super Saiyan in the series (outside of video games), and yet it made her SSJ form an almost exact copy of Broly's. I honestly doubt this was Toriyama's idea. It was probably Toei being Toei, taking a hugely marketable - but polarising - character such as Broly and somehow integrating him into Super without actually using him. I'm used to the blatant fanservice by now, but anything with Broly in it just irks me. I can't help it.

I'm going to reserve my final judgement on "Female Broly" (ugh, I hate that name too) until we actually see her in the series and find out more about her, but still, I don't like the fact that she exists in the first place.
        It's certainly up in the air as of now, if the Broly-like design really is Toriyama's idea. A few months back, when we got a sneak peak at some of the new fighters, femaleBroly had a slimmer frame, much like Broly's regular Super Saiyan design.
        It could of course just be her regular Super Saiyan form, but she was drawn with green hair, so who knows :think: