Gruesome Dragon Ball moments

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Gruesome Dragon Ball moments

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 pm

It did intend to get dark, gory and terrifying. Most of these repulsive kills and beatings had me on the edge of my seat as a kid.
What are the gruesome scenes you remember most when you were watching Dragon Ball? It's kinda scary that Toonami and Cartoon Network let most of this slide. They'd never get away with it nowadays lmao. Makes me glad I was a 1990's kid!

A big one for me was when Badidi used his magic to..obliterate Spopovich into pieces. You can't argue the fact that was gut wrenching just the way he pumped up with his eyes slowly popping out of position. Ew, such a painful death! :shock:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Gruesome Dragon Ball moments

Post by Tian » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 pm

For me, one of the most gruesome moments of DB was Babidi's death : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBU10ZYyZJ4

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:59 pm

Cell absorbing that guy in front of Piccolo is the first thing that comes to mind for me. That and when Goku kicked off part of Drum's head.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:06 pm

In the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai when Piccolo ripped off his useless arm.
In the manga when Dr. Gero squeezed that guy's neck until his head popped off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:16 pm

I never really saw anything that was outright gruesome in the anime, but the manga is completely different story. One particular scene that always sticks out in my mind is when SSJ2 Gohan kills the Cell Jrs and you would see parts of their brain splatter all over the place.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yikes.

The Videl/Spopovich fight was also quite difficult to watch. Just seeing Videl getting the crap beaten out of her, while no one could really do anything to stop it as Videl didn't want to quit the fight make the whole affair difficult to stomach.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 pm

None of the villain deaths were too bad. Although it was surprising to see Freeza chopped in half on Namek I suppose.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:06 pm

The only thing I can think of that came closest to unsettling is the slaughtered family near Babidi's ship from the manga, who are omitted from the anime. Apparently you're not allowed to be skeeved out at Videl getting tortured anymore, but that is also up there. There really isn't much in the way of gore here.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Tao Pai Pai killing Blue with his tongue and Freeza getting chopped in half are the most gruesome moments imo, but Dragonball never was overly gruesome. Besides some moments in the Cell arc, of course.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 pm

B wrote:The only thing I can think of that came closest to unsettling is the slaughtered family near Babidi's ship from the manga, who are omitted from the anime. Apparently you're not allowed to be skeeved out at Videl getting tortured anymore, but that is also up there. There really isn't much in the way of gore here.
That happened? What chapter was that scene in?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:15 pm

B wrote:The only thing I can think of that came closest to unsettling is the slaughtered family near Babidi's ship from the manga, who are omitted from the anime.

They're in the anime. Gohan looks aside and sees their corpses lying in front of their home and winces. Episode 220 I think.

Also how in the hell does Kuririn's impaling against Freeza not come up in a thread like this? That's played up especially in the anime for all the horror that its worth.

DB's no Fist of the North Star or anything like that by any stretch, but its certainly had its moments. Gero's impaling of Yamucha and his squeezing off some poor sap's head, Daimao's egg laying, Piccolo's 23rd Budokai arm tear, Dende's brothers' death, Zarbon's death, Dodoria's killing of the first of the three Namekian warriors, Spopovitch's Videl beat down, Spopovitch's death, the Cell Juniors' death in the manga, Kuririn getting gored by Freeza, Vegeta's disemboweling execution of the first Saibaiman, Goku and Raditz' blood soaked Makankosappo impaling in the anime... this stuff does add up after awhile.

DB's nowhere near the 100% cheery sunshine its been played up as in certain corners of fandom round here, just like its not the "hardcore xtreme" shit that lot of the dub fandom likes to play it up as. The truth was always somewhere in the middle and a mix of the two.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
B wrote:The only thing I can think of that came closest to unsettling is the slaughtered family near Babidi's ship from the manga, who are omitted from the anime. Apparently you're not allowed to be skeeved out at Videl getting tortured anymore, but that is also up there. There really isn't much in the way of gore here.
In the anime Gohan notices their bodies all lying out on the front yard. Though their bodies are still intact. In the manga however the father is missing a hand, and the mother has been either ripped or blasted in half because only her upper half is shown. Her legs are either off panel or have been destroyed.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:35 pm

When Babidi made that guy at the tournament's head explode was pretty gruesome.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:02 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh God. I wasn't quite sure what was the most gruesome thing in the series, but now I'm positive that this page is by far the most disturbing. Geez, and to think this started out as a gag manga...

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:01 am

You know what, I'll throw in Cargo, Dende's brother, getting burned alive by Dodoria/Freeza as also pretty damn bad. Ignoring the fact it's a kid, it's one of, if not the only time, you really see the heat-based effects of ki blasts, outside of obviously destroying buildings/scenery.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:10 am

Does anyone have the anime screenshot of that scene outside Babidi's spaceship? I want to compare it.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:40 am

TheQuazz wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh God. I wasn't quite sure what was the most gruesome thing in the series, but now I'm positive that this page is by far the most disturbing. Geez, and to think this started out as a gag manga...
Wow that's pretty awesome. Is it in the coloured version of the Manga?

For the Anime, I think Yamcha getting impaled during the Android saga was brutal. Not sure if the sound effect is on the original, but in the 'Murican edition you hear all the bones cracking before his hand pops out the back.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:13 am

Oh another obvious one: the gunmen's rampage in the Boo arc. The scene where they murder the elderly couple is one of the single sickest, grisly things in the whole series (a moment like that wouldn't be out of place in a grindhouse movie), the anime has additional scenes of them mass shooting their way through a town or two, all culminating with their shooting a puppy. Gotta love their nihilistic motivation for the killing spree too.

We can then add to the tally Super Boo's killing of the short, fat gunman via pouring himself down the guy's gullet until his entire torso grotesquely expands and bursts like a scene out of Monty Python's Meaning of Life.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:08 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Damn. That is... Damn. :shock:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:24 am

The most gruesome moment I can remember that hasn't been mentioned yet is the filler nightmare scene Goku has in the Cell arc. Either 17 or 18 grabbed Chi-Chi and broke her neck, and the show just goes silent with no music. It was a very chilling scene.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.