Beerus = Toguro?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blackstripe
Regular

Beerus = Toguro?

Post by Blackstripe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:30 am

So, the topic title probably confused a lot of people. To explain, Younger Toguro is a character in Yu Yu Hakusho. During his fight against main character Yusuke Urameshi, he constantly notes what percentage of his power he is using. 50%, 70%, 100%...

At one point during the fight, he goes to 100% power, only to reveal that this was in fact not his true limit, and was in fact closer to 85%, and that his true 100% was in fact much greater.

Rewatching this episodes made me think...what if it's something similar for Beerus? What if past 70 or 80% or his power, the amount he receives from each percentage vastly increases? Mathematically this makes little sense, but by the sort of shonen Anime logic presented in the above example, it could certainly be the case. So, Beerus at 80% could literally be worlds apart from Beerus at 100%, explaining why Gokuu, even with the SSBKKX10, is STILL not equal to Beerus.

Thoughts?

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Beerus = Toguro?

Post by nite_jay » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:07 am

I always had something like this in the back of my mind. I saw somewhere that if DB Super were to powerscale with something like the richter scale (each number is 10x the last i think) then a lot of it's mathmatic powerlevel inconsistencies could be solved.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:52 pm

nite_jay wrote:I always had something like this in the back of my mind. I saw somewhere that if DB Super were to powerscale with something like the richter scale (each number is 10x the last i think) then a lot of it's mathmatic powerlevel inconsistencies could be solved.
Technically that's the way it worked when power levels were a part of the series in early Z. It was never acknowledged though.

For instance, Farmer with Shotgun was stated to be a 5. Piccolo used a basic ki blast to destroy the moon when his power level was 408. This doesn't mean that 80 Farmers with Shotguns would be able to destroy the moon by attacking at the same time.

Despite Piccolo's power level being about 80x greater than the Farmer, the gap in power is actually much larger than 80x.

Assuming all growth in power is exponential, then "2" isn't exactly twice as strong as "1". It would be a bit more than that. The distance between One and Two is smaller than the distance between Two and Three which is smaller than the distance between Three and Four, and so on and so forth. Once you get into the level of Universe Busters like Beerus and SsjG Goku, then the gap between them is massive.

I believe the main problem with this theory (at least in Z) is that the exponential growth isn't constant and can't be calculated properly. (I might be wrong about that) The concept still stands for people who lose sleep over power levels.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:22 pm

MadSaiyantist wrote:
nite_jay wrote:I always had something like this in the back of my mind. I saw somewhere that if DB Super were to powerscale with something like the richter scale (each number is 10x the last i think) then a lot of it's mathmatic powerlevel inconsistencies could be solved.
Technically that's the way it worked when power levels were a part of the series in early Z. It was never acknowledged though.

For instance, Farmer with Shotgun was stated to be a 5. Piccolo used a basic ki blast to destroy the moon when his power level was 408. This doesn't mean that 80 Farmers with Shotguns would be able to destroy the moon by attacking at the same time.

Despite Piccolo's power level being about 80x greater than the Farmer, the gap in power is actually much larger than 80x.

Assuming all growth in power is exponential, then "2" isn't exactly twice as strong as "1". It would be a bit more than that. The distance between One and Two is smaller than the distance between Two and Three which is smaller than the distance between Three and Four, and so on and so forth. Once you get into the level of Universe Busters like Beerus and SsjG Goku, then the gap between them is massive.

I believe the main problem with this theory (at least in Z) is that the exponential growth isn't constant and can't be calculated properly. (I might be wrong about that) The concept still stands for people who lose sleep over power levels.
Yeah all of the explainations you gave are true. This is why I find power levels in a series like this a mistake in the long term. For example, Goku barely beat Freeza with a PL difference of 30,000,000, but earlier in the series a difference of 10 could lead to a curbstomp. It sometimes seems as if higher power levels nullify smaller PL gaps, but there at the same time there are many examples where PL seem to grow exponentially too. Toriyama was never too keen on consistency, and powerlevels being so inconsistent really proves it.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 am

This inconsistency between different ranges of power levels is exactly why scouters are basically useless in-universe and everyone who's any good at fighting learns "natural" ki sensing rather than relying on them. Heck, even the scanning system in Android 16 seems to be drastically better than Freeza and company's scouters, since rather than spitting out a bunch of numbers that can be misinterpreted as a linear scale (or a perfectly regular exponential scale, for that matter) he actually ends up with a pretty accurate measurement of "who can beat who" as far as raw power goes, just like master ki-sensers like Goku (knowing that Cell's true power was too much for him even though he could fight suppressed Cell pretty well for a while, predicting that Gohan's rage would boost him enough to overcome Cell even if Goku himself failed, and so on.)

So yeah... basically, unless you're #16 with his superior "scouter-like" technology or you have the kind of actual fighting experience and ki-sensing skill to know how powerful you really are compared to your opponent, all you've got is some arbitrary numbers that might not be accurate even on a purely mathematical basis (due to ki suppression, power amplifying techniques like Kaio-ken, and so on plus the "this % gap is not always the same sized gap" factor added on top of all that.)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:18 am

Toguro was just lying about what percent of his power he was using. Just like Beerus was.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Toguro was just lying about what percent of his power he was using. Just like Beerus was.
That's the theory I've always rolled with in regards to Beerus. It's the only to make sense of the power scaling issues in the Super anime.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:06 am

I finished the Dark World tournament a couple of days ago and I think it's possible that Beerus has a true 100%.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller