So has GT been forgiven yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Travis Touchdown
Regular

So has GT been forgiven yet?

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:51 pm

One of the things I really don't understand is how GT is hated and Super is loved for the exact same reasons.

Since Super makes the same sins as GT such has inconsistent power scaling, choosing what plot points to accept and ignore, etc., has GT been forgiven yet?
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

404FILENOTFOUND
Not-So-Newbie

Re: So has GT been forgiven yet?

Post by 404FILENOTFOUND » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:57 pm

I don't know, if Super is making the same sins as GT then GT is not going to be better for making the same sins that Super is following. From what I see GT and Super are in the same tier of disappointment but that is my observation, I could be wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Forgiven by whom?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Forgiven by whom?
The majority fan base. I try to enjoy just about all things Dragon Ball which includes GT but I usually find I am alone when it comes to GT, which has, by my observation, an almost unanimous dislike from the majority of fans I talk to.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Nobody cares about it too deeply anymore, so I'd say so. The only people who I think still care about it in a negative way, are those who have a problem with people who like it more than Super, or just like it at all.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:29 pm

I do not need to forgive GT more than any other part of Dragon Ball. As a matter of fact, there is nothing to forgive. The entire show is not perfect. That's it. Do I like all aspects? No. But Dragon Ball is what it is.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:28 pm

GT has left a bad mark on the series for a long time. I think it will be like the Star Wars prequels where it has it's fans, but most people still dislike it. I do think Super is doing a better job than GT has done. The new characters are better in my opinion and I think the story is more interesting. The best saga in GT was the Shadow Dragon arc and even that could have been better in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:38 am

I cant forgive both of them because they both throw aside the rest of the Z fighters

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:52 am

GT had too many sins:

- Goku becoming a kid
- Pan's GT personality was not appealing to some (although I personally didn't mind her)
- Vegeta's awful haircut
- Gohan, Goten and Trunks not doing much
- Oob being wasted
- The beginning of GT was filled with boring episodes
- Super 17 arc was awful and nonsensical
- Final arc had some good ideas but was executed poorly
- Bra, Marron, etc. just being background

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 am

Super has made me see that GT isn't as bad as I thought so yes, I've forgiven it.

In terms of why Super gets a free pass for making the same mistakes as GT and more, it has Toriyama's name on it while GT doesn't.
Hellspawn28 wrote:GT has left a bad mark on the series for a long time.
The mark Super is leaving on it is a lot worse.
precita wrote:GT had too many sins:

- Goku becoming a kid
Goku is a retarded idiot in Super.
They alongside piccolo do a lot less in Super.
Super as a whole is filled with boring episodes.
The copy arc makes it look like gold.
Super as a whole is executed poorly.
Super is putting everyone minus Vegeta in the background.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:45 am

There's nothing to forgive. The show has its faults but other shows have it too. Personally, fans constantly look at Dragon Ball GT as if it should be destroyed. The concepts that Toei introduced in Dragon Ball GT were very interesting and it was a different approach. They couldn't execute their designs to the standards of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:38 am

I don't know if I'd say forgiven, but I definitely think Super made people reconsider GT. No one can deny it has its flaws, but that's a problem Dragon Ball has in general.

Don't get me wrong I love the Dragon Ball fandom, but there's always a vocal group who will dismiss whatever part of the series they can, hell there are Faulconer purists who hated Kai.

Super would be hated A LOT more if Toriyama's name wasn't attached to it though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:43 am

Super has genuinely good arcs and ideas. The movie adaption episodes were a low point.

The Champa arc was pretty decent and the Goku Black saga is great so far. Many of the slice of life episodes were also good.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:43 am

I think GT isn't a sin that the fandom makes it out to be. As far as i am concerned GT doesn't need anyone's forgiveness. It is kinda its own thing a side story an a very enjoyable one.

Super isn't that praised either but it slightly overcomes GT cause of the "Toriyama bias".

- Travis
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:48 am

No I simply have forgotten about it.

The only thing good and I will remember is Super Saiyan 4.

It is far better in cecept and uniqueness than red and blue hair

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:09 am

I can't say much about Super, but I've always liked GT since I watched it back in November.
precita wrote:GT had too many sins:

- Goku becoming a kid
- Pan's GT personality was not appealing to some (although I personally didn't mind her)
- Vegeta's awful haircut
- Oob being wasted
That haircut only lasted for 4 or 5 episodes, for the rest of GT, Vegeta had one of his best designs IMO.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:06 am

GT has its problems so does Super. Don't think one should be forgiven because of the other.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:23 am

I certainly think a fair few criticisms from non-Kanzenshuu users come from the dub of GT which is terribad in a lot of ways. Once I saw the Japanese version of GT, I liked it considerably more.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:39 am

Well it's not something I need to forgive, some shows are good and some are bad. GT is and will always be bad.

Super is much better, for now at least.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 am

It's way too soon to make any kind of assessment there. Super is a current, on-going production that people are experiencing new, on a weekly-basis, collectively, worldwide, for the first time in the franchise's history; that's going to shape its discussion like nothing before. Dragon Ball GT has been over for nearly twenty years and was known inside-and-out before it ever made its way to most international territories.

Without the hindsight of time from a wide group of fans, it's irresponsible to say one way or the other.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::