DBZ vol. 26 (comments on the actual book this time)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

DBZ vol. 26 (comments on the actual book this time)

Post by Domon » Wed May 24, 2006 12:22 pm

Ok, it does seem a bit strange to have this up so soon after making the topic about Viz's announcement for the final volume of the series, but dicussion on the final volume itself certainly warrents a topic of its own, eh?

Anyway, I just got this today, and while I haven't read through it yet, I have skimmed through some of the more questioned about aspects, and there's at least a couple of things some may not be too happy about.

First off, while Bra is still named Bra, Vegetto's name underwent a revision(reversioned?). They've named him... Vegerot. While I see where they got this from("Vegeta and Kakarrot combined... I guess that makes us... Vegerot?"), it just doesn't work. Doesn't even roll off the tongue very well. It'll certainly fuel the "it should be spelled Kakarrotto" debates...

Second, the ending is the original version. The recent Kanzenban version is nowhere to be seen here. Not even as a "bonus feature", which would've been nice. I guess it'll give people an extra incentive to buy the Kanzenban versions if they ever come out here, as they'll have differences other than just the packaging.

Still, this marks the end of an era, as we're finally done with the manga and Viz's involment in it(at least until if/when the Kanzenban versions comes out). It certainly went through several phases, from "pretty dur' near exact translation" to "okay, but with some annoying aspects" which...erm, is still pretty decent, I guess.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 24, 2006 12:29 pm

:lol: Vegerot EX could be like Vegetto EX's evil twin with a goatee.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm

"Vegerot?"

I officially now dislike Viz more than I do FUNimation.[/i]
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Wed May 24, 2006 12:46 pm

How'd you get it so soon? I thought it didn't come out for another 2 weeks.

Vegerot...grr... :x

KameHouse

Post by KameHouse » Wed May 24, 2006 12:55 pm

Wasnt sure of the release date but I got mine last week at the mall, Walden Books.

I was kinda confused as since I got it last week and read it that day, that there wasnt any discussion about it here.
Come on inside....the Kame House.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 24, 2006 12:57 pm

"Vegerot". Just wonderful. -_- The most powerful being in the universe has been reduced to "agricultural blight".
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed May 24, 2006 1:00 pm

That naming is totally understandable since the japanese name would just not be equivalent in english unless you wanted to call him Vegit but still, it's pretty awkward. The lack of kanzenban ending is a little annoying but hey, who hasn't seen it? And for people unaware of it's existence....well, what they don't know can't hurt them. It's really not so incredibly different that it would worry people.

I don't actually collect Viz so I don't really know how well they translate but the few I've read in the bookstore seem to have the right idea. Overall I think they did a good job.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed May 24, 2006 1:01 pm

Vegerot?? Um... er... no. I'm still going to buy it just to complete my collection, though.

And as for the Kanzenban ending, I knew they weren't going to use it, since Viz only got the tankoubon version. All in all, I think Viz did a pretty good job with the release, with the exception of the name changes and mild content edits. I know that most of the chapters up until after the Freeza saga had damn near perfect translations.

Though, I could see a Kanzenban "re-release" (hopefully unedited) in the future from them just so they could make some more money off of DBZ. I sure want them too.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed May 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Vegerot...? Oh well, I have the Japanese version anyway!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 24, 2006 1:42 pm

Wow. Even FUNimation got 'Vejitto' right. This is a sad day indeed.

*goes back to reading Kanzenban*

-Corey

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed May 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Why? After years of good translating "Viz" is screwing up. Late Cell/Buu Arc is definitely not their best of translations so I'm not suprised of the name change, but still...I'm speechless.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:Why? After years of good translating "Viz" is screwing up. Late Cell/Buu Arc is definitely not their best of translations so I'm not suprised of the name change, but still...I'm speechless.
Eh, their translations were always hit or miss. Chi Kung Cannon? Light of Death?

This is just another example. Oh well.

-Corey

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed May 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Does Viz even care about their Dragonball liscense anymore?

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed May 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Eh, their translations were always hit or miss. Chi Kung Cannon? Light of Death?
Well, in fairness, they did change that first one to its original name in the reprints. But yes, it is odd that they come up with names even when "official" spellings has been out for years and years(I'm looking at the Djinn thing here... :roll: )

As for how I got it so early, well the bookstore had it out early. Simple as that.

Does Viz even care about their Dragonball liscense anymore?
It's funny you ask that, considering the other thread about Viz's plan to hype the hell out of the end of the series. Of course, they probably weren't expecting copies of the final volume to come out so early(d'oh!). :P

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed May 24, 2006 2:49 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Sebastian (SB) wrote:Why? After years of good translating "Viz" is screwing up. Late Cell/Buu Arc is definitely not their best of translations so I'm not suprised of the name change, but still...I'm speechless.

This is just another example. Oh well.

-Corey
I'm familiar with "Light of Death", but "Chi Kung Cannon"?....unless your'e talking Tenshinhan's "Kikoho" or "Chi Kung Pao".

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Wed May 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Oh well. At least Vegetto only appears in a few chapters...and he doesn't mention his name much, so...it's still not a complete waste of money. Plus I want to complete the collection.

Well, as long as we know the real name already, so it's not like we're gonna start calling him "Vegerot" either.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 24, 2006 3:05 pm

It's a completely unnecessary change, too; that's what really pisses me off. All it would have taken would have been a "*" next to Vegetto's name, and a simple footnote. That's it.

:::Starts making plans to bomb Viz headquarters:::
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed May 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Yeah, Viz (as well as other companies) are known for releasing stuff well before what they intended... or at least the book stores that supply them do.

Eh... Vegerot indeed. I'll buy the manga, anyway, just to finish the spine image. And I'll compare every nook and cranny to the original JP volume (the only JP volume I have, actually).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 24, 2006 3:16 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:I'm familiar with "Light of Death", but "Chi Kung Cannon"?....unless your'e talking Tenshinhan's "Kikoho" or "Chi Kung Pao".
I never read Viz's version (my friend collected them way back), but I could have sworn I heard they called the Kikoho the 'Chi Kung Cannon' at one point.

Oh well, either way it's bad ;p

-Corey

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Wed May 24, 2006 3:42 pm

I didn't realise it was out already. It's available on Amazon as well, so i'll get it along with a copy of Sandland (can anyone recommend this one?).

Vegerot? I can understand the change, but it just sounds retarded.