Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aspiring-Creator

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm

DHM211 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:54 pm Not at all trying to sound like I'm knocking milkman, but he could have saved himself a ton of effort if he just used the default Kai TFC video source and either removed the green tint himself or used the green-tint free(and stabilized at that) version that was posted online back in 2017. What milkman did was astronomically hard because Toei, in addition to cutting filler entirely, also trims frames off of pretty much every scene left to make each episode fit a perfect 23:07 runtime.

People rightfully take issue with the remaster TFC had, but I doubt anybody thinks funimation did a better job with their remaster. At least what Toei produced still looks like film rather than a low resolution water color painting. The only benefit of the funimation remaster is the 4:3 AR, and honestly the 16:9 used in TFC was done so well with Toei giving extra room on the sides that it was a non-issue for me, unlike the times funimation attemepted a 16:9 crop.
The 16:9 definitely wasn't bad but also I get it comes down to ultimately what is desired and in this case, 4:3 obviously was used because it matches with the previous Kai episodes which people do contest in terms of remasters. The problem is, you're not guaranteed to win with any of the DB footage that one can use and unless he wanted to wait and see what AB Groupe might've pulled off years down the line or for SoM to finally put out the CC DBox stuff of DBZ? This was the probably the best choice for HD DBZ in terms of necessity. It's not perfect certainly but for the sake of getting Boo Kai in 4:3 cut down to a reasonable length? It's a concession one has to deal with and I think compared to what could've happened? I personally am just glad we got it and have it still be high quality because now we're getting to the realm of finding the nits to pick.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:08 am

Aspiring-Creator wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm
DHM211 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:54 pm Not at all trying to sound like I'm knocking milkman, but he could have saved himself a ton of effort if he just used the default Kai TFC video source and either removed the green tint himself or used the green-tint free(and stabilized at that) version that was posted online back in 2017. What milkman did was astronomically hard because Toei, in addition to cutting filler entirely, also trims frames off of pretty much every scene left to make each episode fit a perfect 23:07 runtime.

People rightfully take issue with the remaster TFC had, but I doubt anybody thinks funimation did a better job with their remaster. At least what Toei produced still looks like film rather than a low resolution water color painting. The only benefit of the funimation remaster is the 4:3 AR, and honestly the 16:9 used in TFC was done so well with Toei giving extra room on the sides that it was a non-issue for me, unlike the times funimation attemepted a 16:9 crop.
The 16:9 definitely wasn't bad but also I get it comes down to ultimately what is desired and in this case, 4:3 obviously was used because it matches with the previous Kai episodes which people do contest in terms of remasters. The problem is, you're not guaranteed to win with any of the DB footage that one can use and unless he wanted to wait and see what AB Groupe might've pulled off years down the line or for SoM to finally put out the CC DBox stuff of DBZ? This was the probably the best choice for HD DBZ in terms of necessity. It's not perfect certainly but for the sake of getting Boo Kai in 4:3 cut down to a reasonable length? It's a concession one has to deal with and I think compared to what could've happened? I personally am just glad we got it and have it still be high quality because now we're getting to the realm of finding the nits to pick.
I especially don't think Milkman was running low on motivation the longer the project took and I don't think waiting for a AB Groupe or SoM cc release was going to increase the chances of the project getting finished. So the compromise seems justified, especially if he didn't trust his ability or patience to edit the Dragon Box manually (that's its own can of worms).

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:32 pm

I can only imagine what's going through Milkman's mind after all this time. Exhaustion? Apathy? It's worrying that he hasn't bothered posting in the thread since the update. Hats off to him for pulling it off, but dear god, it could not have been pleasant.

I worry someone else will have to take up the mantle for the OG DBZ Recut. But if they do, it'll be understandable.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:57 pm

If Milkman retires, maybe some members of the Naruto Resealed Team will make their own Dragon Ball Recut and their own Dragon Ball Z Recut one day.

There is a guy from the Fan-Kai Team doing his own recut of Z, it will be called Dragon Ball Z Saitegen, but it will be in movie format and I don't know if it will include english subtitles.

HulkTySSJ5

Post by HulkTySSJ5 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:38 pm

This is an incredible project! Thank you for this.
I'm no good with tech, but if I had, I think I could edit out a far chunk more out.
GT could even be 2x 1-1/2 to 2 hour films with proper cuts.
Even if I could collab and just make the visual cuts while the others do the voice and music, that'd be great.
One easy fix could simply removing OPs, eye catches, and EDs except for the first and last episodes.

I wonder if it's possible to edit a decent 1-1/2 hour movie per major saga? Hmmm...

SaqibSaab

Post by SaqibSaab » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:38 pm

Posting back on the forums after 19 years to say, thank you, Milkman, for Dragon Ball Recut and Dragon Ball Kai Recut. Incredible project that fans who've been in it for a few decades would daydream about.

Have gone through DB and watching the show with my kids, who are experiencing what is arguably one of the best ways to watch this series.

Looking forward to going through Kai Recut, really impressive work to take dialogue from Z and from Super and work it in to fix the dub oddities.

Bravo after all these years, it's a lot of work of true fan passion!

SaqibSaab

Post by SaqibSaab » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:01 pm

I noticed something in the dub of DB Recut that I wonder if others also caught. There is newly recorded dialogue that you added, I think.

I caught it in the file for episode 71 of the dub. I only noticed it because I was playing around with reformatting /editing some of the episodes for myself using Adobe Premiere. I happened to see for this episode, the audio track for the dub was longer and kept going after the credits. And it had all these lines of Goku saying, "I could have sworn he died in that big explosion," referring to Tao Pai Pai, spoken multiple times, like voice acting.

I thought at first it was Sean Schemmel and somehow there was a mistake made from Funimation in that they left his own recorded dialogue on the DVD track. But not only is that not likely, after some careful listening I noticed it's not Sean but someone else sounding very similar. Then I went back to the actual episode section and there it was. At one point, Goku's dub dialgoue is re-dubbed, with what I'm assuming is fandub.

Digging up the dubtitles for this episode from opensubtitles.org confirmed, it was to replace this line (sub translation added for comparison):
Funimation: There was a big explosion, and then he was gone.

Recut: I could have sworn he died in that big explosion.

Subtitles: I could have sworn I beat him!
Then when watching episode 73, I actually noticed Goku's voice change just a bit. I dug up the dubtitles for this episode on opensubtitle.org, too, and looks like it did. Here's how it compares to the Recut dub, and the Japanese subs.
Funimation dub

Goku: I remember! I did say it! It was back--back when we were children, that I told you I wanted a bride.

ChiChi: I remember. I was there.

Goku: [sighs] But I... I don't think you understand. I thought bride meant something to eat.

ChiChi: Something to eat?

[BULMA, ,PUAR, OOLONG groan]

ChiChi: Then the promise you made was a mistake?

Goku: Sometimes my brain doesn't know what my mouth is saying.

Goku: Good thing my heart does. Will you marry me?

ChiChi: Yes!
Milkman re-dub

Goku: I remember! I did say it! It was back--back when we were children, that I told you that I wanted to get married.

Goku: [sighs] But I... don't think you understand me. I thought marriage was something you eat.

ChiChi: [sighs] Something to eat?

Goku: But, well, I guess I did make you a promise all those years ago.

Goku: You wanna get married?

Japanese translation from subtitles

Goku: Now I remember! I did! I did tell you that I'd come and make you my bride!

ChiChi: Now you finally remember!

Goku: Now I remember... but I always thought a bride was some sort of food!

ChiChi: Food?!

ChiChi: So then... what about the promise?

Goku: But, well, I did make you a promise.

Goku: So, want to get married?

ChiChi: I sure do!
Has anyone else noticed this, or was this at all mentioned by Milkman as part of the Recut? If not, pretty slick. I wouldn't have noticed the difference had I not opened the audio track for my own editing experiments. And only if someone was watching the dub of this Recut and really paying attention would they have noticed this re-dub.

I could see why this specific dialogue was re-recorded. You would think the word bride would have been kept, but Funimation's removal of the promise and what they added in was one of the many poorly written lines throughout this era of its dub for Dragon Ball.

But it's interesting that this was even done at all, because your write up mentioned that you didn't focus too much on the dub for DB Recut. Yet here's an effort to re-record some very specific dialogue.

Makes me wonder what other bits from the dub were re-recorded, it at all.

If this is accurate, who's the fandub actor for Goku? Is it you, Milkman? Haha. It's pretty good. Got that silly/confused Sean Schemmel going on, without trying too hard.

Goes to show what a thorough job you did for Recut, and no one would have even known about it.
Last edited by SaqibSaab on Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:50 pm

That's incredible that that's there, I didn't know because I haven't seen DB Recut since V1.

There are a few dub lines in recut that don't work with the context removed, one that's stuck in my mind all this time is when Roshi tells the story of Mutaito sealing away Piccolo and Oolong says "where did you say those mountains were again?" - no mountains had been mentioned because those lines had been removed.

I've often wondered about the viability if using AI voice changing to fix some of the worst dubisms.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:53 pm

SaqibSaab wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:01 pm I noticed something in the dub of DB Recut that I wonder if others also caught. There is newly recorded dialogue that you added, I think.

I caught it in the file for episode 71 of the dub. I only noticed it because I was playing around with reformatting /editing some of the episodes for myself using Adobe Premiere. I happened to see for this episode, the audio track for the dub was longer and kept going after the credits. And it had all these lines of Goku saying, "I could have sworn he died in that big explosion," referring to Tao Pai Pai, spoken multiple times, like voice acting.

I thought at first it was Sean Schemmel and somehow there was a mistake made from Funimation in that they left his own recorded dialogue on the DVD track. But not only is that not likely, after some careful listening I noticed it's not Sean but someone else sounding very similar. Then I went back to the actual episode section and there it was. At one point, Goku's dub dialgoue is re-dubbed, with what I'm assuming is fandub.

Digging up the dubtitles for this episode from opensubtitles.org confirmed, it was to replace this line (sub translation added for comparison):

Then when watching episode 73, I actually noticed Goku's voice change just a bit. I dug up the dubtitles for this episode on opensubtitle.org, too, and looks like it did. Here's how it compares to the Recut dub, and the Japanese subs.
Funimation dub

Goku: I remember! I did say it! It was back--back when we were children, that I told you I wanted a bride.

Goku: [sighs] But I... I don't think you understand. I thought bride meant something to eat.

Milkman re-dub

Goku: I remember! I did say it! It was back--back when we were children, that I told you that I wanted to get married.

Goku: [sighs] But I... don't think you understand me. I thought marriage was something you eat.

Goku: Now I remember! I did! I did tell you that I'd come and make you my bride!

Has anyone else noticed this, or was this at all mentioned by Milkman as part of the Recut? If not, pretty slick. I wouldn't have noticed the difference had I not opened the audio track for my own editing experiments. And only if someone was watching the dub of this Recut and really paying attention would they have noticed this re-dub.

I could see why this specific dialogue was re-recorded. You would think the word bride would have been kept, but Funimation's removal of the promise and what they added in was one of the many poorly written lines throughout this era of its dub for Dragon Ball.

But it's interesting that this was even done at all, because your write up mentioned that you didn't focus too much on the dub for DB Recut. Yet here's an effort to re-record some very specific dialogue.

If this is accurate, who's the fandub actor for Goku? Is it you, Milkman? Haha. It's pretty good. Got that silly/confused Sean Schemmel going on, without trying too hard.

Goes to show what a thorough job you did for Recut, and no one would have even known about it.
Yes, Milkman did mention the redubbed lines. KalsKingdom did the voice match for Goku, but Milkman did redub a few lines himself for Kami disguised as Shen/Hero. I don't remember which lines they were though.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

HulkTySSJ5

Post by HulkTySSJ5 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:33 am

Curious...
How much more time would be cut if you removed the following:
Eyecatchers
All but 1 OP
All but 1 ED
All before episode recaps
All after episode previews

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:47 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:53 pm
SaqibSaab wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:01 pm I noticed something in the dub of DB Recut that I wonder if others also caught. There is newly recorded dialogue that you added, I think.

Funimation dub

Milkman re-dub

Yes, Milkman did mention the redubbed lines. KalsKingdom did the voice match for Goku, but Milkman did redub a few lines himself for Kami disguised as Shen/Hero. I don't remember which lines they were though.
Wow, pretty sick to fix in fandub into the English track!

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:03 pm

Does anyone know if there is any group out there that has any plans to do a similar project to MilkMan's but for Super in both Japanese and English dubs?

Also, do we know at this point in time if MilkMan will eventually release Z and re-release DB?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:56 pm

Goku1085 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:03 pm Does anyone know if there is any group out there that has any plans to do a similar project to MilkMan's but for Super in both Japanese and English dubs?

Also, do we know at this point in time if MilkMan will eventually release Z and re-release DB?

Didn't he recently release dbz using 30 anniversary set?

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:38 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:56 pm
Goku1085 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:03 pm Does anyone know if there is any group out there that has any plans to do a similar project to MilkMan's but for Super in both Japanese and English dubs?

I think that's actually Kai since he used the Kai dubs and OPs/EDs. If he does end up doing Z I believe he would use either the future AB Blu-rays or SoM's upcoming CC release. Though I really hope if he ended up doing Z, he would still use the Kai English dub since it's more accurate to the manga.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:49 am

If he's even coming back at all, he's probably going to take a lot of time off first. Dude sounded wiped out when he released this.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:21 am

Goku1085 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:38 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:56 pm

I think that's actually Kai since he used the Kai dubs and OPs/EDs. If he does end up doing Z I believe he would use either the future AB Blu-rays or SoM's upcoming CC release. Though I really hope if he ended up doing Z, he would still use the Kai English dub since it's more accurate to the manga.
If he comes back in the first place, I'd assume he'd use the Z dub. Since using Kai dub again would mean all that would change would be the soundtrack most likely. Or at least, other negligible changes that aren't really worth a whole new multi-year project. It'd be easier to justify doing a big project again if it's a different dub.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:04 pm

Escavalien wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:21 am If he comes back in the first place, I'd assume he'd use the Z dub. Since using Kai dub again would mean all that would change would be the soundtrack most likely. Or at least, other negligible changes that aren't really worth a whole new multi-year project. It'd be easier to justify doing a big project again if it's a different dub.
He doesn't like the Z dub, which is why when he was here he did plan to use Kai's. What you're forgetting is that Kai and Z have completely different JP performances too, which most people agree were better in Z.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Man, this Boo saga Kai edit made it incredibly watchable for me. Head and shoulders above normal Kai TFC.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

HulkTySSJ5

Post by HulkTySSJ5 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:29 am

Dang. Still no reply. Really curious on the math. Every minute saved is a blessing.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:38 pm

So since Milkman has seemingly abandoned this for the time being, can we expect someone to make a v3 with the AB bluray footage once volume 2 comes out?