Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

321gametime

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Post by 321gametime » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:58 pm

Thank you so much for finishing this Milkman. Really hope we can get an update to Dragon Ball Recut with the color corrected footage. When it comes to Z, while I would 100% welcome a Z Recut to be able to watch the series with the original Japanese performances and the Kikuchi score, I understand that it's going to be a LONG process. If you want to retire from edits, you definitely deserve it. It might even be worth it to take a break from editing until the SOM Z color correction is released, or if AB Groupe ever decides to remaster Z if you prefer that footage.

Either way, thank you again so much for this incredible edit, and please go and get some much deserved rest.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:59 pm

Where can I find the Kai recut?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:20 pm

At last, I can watch a version of Boo that actually doesn't take an eternity to finish.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:05 pm

Does anybody know what audio was used for this outside of DBZ Kai? Vegeta's respect scene in particular (Episode 35) and theres some voice acting that isnt present in either the Kai or og Funi Dub.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:44 pm

DHM211 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:05 pm Does anybody know what audio was used for this outside of DBZ Kai? Vegeta's respect scene in particular (Episode 35) and theres some voice acting that isnt present in either the Kai or og Funi Dub.
I believe earlier in the thread Milkman was hinting at this edit (doesn't say much about it though), I can't exactly tell if it's AI voice cloning or a voice line from other DB media (like the games).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:13 pm

What's the video source for Buu? Is it color-corrected Dragon Box footage?

Also, considering that TFC was originally intended for the international market, but aired on Japanese TV because they needed a last-minute replacement when the Toriko anime got cancelled, wouldn't it have made sense to use 'Fight It Out' for the theme song?

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:54 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:13 pm What's the video source for Buu? Is it color-corrected Dragon Box footage?

Also, considering that TFC was originally intended for the international market, but aired on Japanese TV because they needed a last-minute replacement when the Toriko anime got cancelled, wouldn't it have made sense to use 'Fight It Out' for the theme song?
Dragon Box footage.

This isn't based on The Final Chapters. The audio is from it, but it's more in line with the Japanese release as The Final Chapters contained a lot of filler that wasn't in Japanese Boo Kai. The project as a whole has always been based on the Japanese version; all of Kai Recut contains the Dragon Ball Kai logos from the Japanese version rather than the Z Kai logos from the international version. If anything, I think the English versions of Makafushigi Adventure and Dragon Soul from the English dubs should have been replaced with the Japanese versions for consistency with Boo Kai, though back when he started the project there was no way he'd know we'd get a completely different OP outside of Japan.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:16 am

MistaL wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:54 pm Dragon Box footage.

This isn't based on The Final Chapters. The audio is from it, but it's more in line with the Japanese release as The Final Chapters contained a lot of filler that wasn't in Japanese Boo Kai. The project as a whole has always been based on the Japanese version; all of Kai Recut contains the Dragon Ball Kai logos from the Japanese version rather than the Z Kai logos from the international version. If anything, I think the English versions of Makafushigi Adventure and Dragon Soul from the English dubs should have been replaced with the Japanese versions for consistency with Boo Kai, though back when he started the project there was no way he'd know we'd get a completely different OP outside of Japan.
I saw on the download page for it that someone said it was filtered 30th anniversary footage. I don't think it is because it doesn't look like an overly DVNR'd watercolor mess that makes my eyes bleed, but I'm glad if it IS color-corrected DBox footage.

I mean, why switch out the English covers of those songs for the originals on the English dub track? The English covers are actually good, so no loss there for those who watch the dub imo & I prefer them.

While I can understand that point of when the project started, we've had the FUNimation releases of TFC for 6 years now. I'm sure he could've got someone to photoshop the JP Kai logo into the openings from the English release. And considering he pulled the English dub audio from Kai, I'm assuming he has the FUNi home releases of the series & if not, there are always torrents he could download. Point is that I don't buy the excuse you present. My assumption is that it's for consistency or his preference over anything else.

321gametime

Post by 321gametime » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:16 am

I saw on the download page for it that someone said it was filtered 30th anniversary footage. I don't think it is because it doesn't look like an overly DVNR'd watercolor mess that makes my eyes bleed, but I'm glad if it IS color-corrected DBox footage.

I mean, why switch out the English covers of those songs for the originals on the English dub track? The English covers are actually good, so no loss there for those who watch the dub imo & I prefer them.

While I can understand that point of when the project started, we've had the FUNimation releases of TFC for 6 years now. I'm sure he could've got someone to photoshop the JP Kai logo into the openings from the English release. And considering he pulled the English dub audio from Kai, I'm assuming he has the FUNi home releases of the series & if not, there are always torrents he could download. Point is that I don't buy the excuse you present. My assumption is that it's for consistency or his preference over anything else.
It's definitely 30th Anniversary. The filters make it look better than the original, but you can still tell it's DNRed, at least I can. For Kai at least, it does make sense why he went with this option, so all of Kai looks somewhat consistent. If you don't believe my word, Ikaos on the download page says it's 30th Anniversary and they know their shit.

As for the whole OP thing, I think it's genuinely just a preference.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:24 am

321gametime wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:16 am

It's definitely 30th Anniversary. The filters make it look better than the original, but you can still tell it's DNRed, at least I can. For Kai at least, it does make sense why he went with this option, so all of Kai looks somewhat consistent. If you don't believe my word, Ikaos on the download page says it's 30th Anniversary and they know their shit.

As for the whole OP thing, I think it's genuinely just a preference.
Ah, really? I thought it was just his own upscale or something tbh since he said he'd use Dbox footage

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:53 am

321gametime wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 am It's definitely 30th Anniversary. The filters make it look better than the original, but you can still tell it's DNRed, at least I can. For Kai at least, it does make sense why he went with this option, so all of Kai looks somewhat consistent. If you don't believe my word, Ikaos on the download page says it's 30th Anniversary and they know their shit.
Ah, really? That's disappointing.

vanner64

Post by vanner64 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:21 pm

Lots of discussion on the footage. It is for sure 30A video source with some changes.

Goku

Gohan

Crew

Note the black bars in the Kai recut images are due to the widescreen used for the OPs and EDs.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 pm

vanner64 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:21 pm Lots of discussion on the footage. It is for sure 30A video source with some changes.
Note the black bars in the Kai recut images are due to the widescreen used for the OPs and EDs.
Its is bad that I think Recut's version looks worse? Pretty strong blue tint.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:35 pm

DHM211 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 pm Its is bad that I think Recut's version looks worse? Pretty strong blue tint.
TBH, I think he would've been better off editing & color correcting the DBox footage.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:32 am

Woah, I've been following this thread for years and somehow missed the Buu release by a week? Holy shit. Bravo, Milkman. Hope the exhaustion from all this hard work doesn't get you down too much. I'm excited to watch, though it's been long enough since I watched anything Dragon Ball that I might just restart from recut ep. 1.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 am

If you go to download Buu recut Miklkman said this:
"Not everyone will be pleased with my choices here, but they work best for me, so that’s why I made them. Sorry if you disagree."

I'm personally satisfied that there's a version of Buu kai that looks better than what we officially got and has Milkman's editing, especially since it seems like this project burned him out completely which is sort of implied by the lack of changelogs or communication that he usually had before back when he was more enthusiastic about the project. It's worth it for the pacing improvement alone imo.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 pm

DHM211 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:43 pm Its is bad that I think Recut's version looks worse? Pretty strong blue tint.
Nah, you're right. The filtering isn't the best; it's definitely added stronger tints across the board than the original. I think just desaturating the original footage would have served the colour work better. Unfortunately, that's the least of the issues for me. The 30th sets are just a mess all around and end up having less detail than even a Dragon Box upscale.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:11 pm

Honestly, the use of the 30th anniversary footage is the teeniest price to pay to watch a version of the Boo Saga that's not an ungodly long slog. I'd imagine at a certain point maybe he considered other options but since he had to as he put it do basically frame-by-frame editing? At a certain point realizing you're using not the best video source with all the work you put in is like hearing you're about to get a colonoscopy right at that exact moment.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:54 pm

Aspiring-Creator wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:11 pm Honestly, the use of the 30th anniversary footage is the teeniest price to pay to watch a version of the Boo Saga that's not an ungodly long slog. I'd imagine at a certain point maybe he considered other options but since he had to as he put it do basically frame-by-frame editing? At a certain point realizing you're using not the best video source with all the work you put in is like hearing you're about to get a colonoscopy right at that exact moment.
Not at all trying to sound like I'm knocking milkman, but he could have saved himself a ton of effort if he just used the default Kai TFC video source and either removed the green tint himself or used the green-tint free(and stabilized at that) version that was posted online back in 2017. What milkman did was astronomically hard because Toei, in addition to cutting filler entirely, also trims frames off of pretty much every scene left to make each episode fit a perfect 23:07 runtime.

People rightfully take issue with the remaster TFC had, but I doubt anybody thinks funimation did a better job with their remaster. At least what Toei produced still looks like film rather than a low resolution water color painting. The only benefit of the funimation remaster is the 4:3 AR, and honestly the 16:9 used in TFC was done so well with Toei giving extra room on the sides that it was a non-issue for me, unlike the times funimation attemepted a 16:9 crop.
There are scenes Toei re-framed to fit 16:9 as well:
Once again, not at all knocking that incredible job milkman did, and while I didn't watch this portion of recut yet I'm sure content wise its way better than the official cut.
Ajay wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 pm
Nah, you're right. The filtering isn't the best; it's definitely added stronger tints across the board than the original. I think just desaturating the original footage would have served the colour work better. Unfortunately, that's the least of the issues for me. The 30th sets are just a mess all around and end up having less detail than even a Dragon Box upscale.
Not suprising at all that even an AI upscale would look better than funimations "attempt" :D . Can't wait to see what AB groupe does with Z.(would love to have the Kai TFC dub synced up to that).

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:31 pm

As someone who ended up watching the steelbooks for their first full viewing of Z, I do not mind the source footage. Maybe I'm just desensitized to its problems, but I thought the release was at least a serviceable presentation. So I'm fine with what Milkman did here