Dragonball Retelling

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball Retelling

Post by Zeru14 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 pm

You know I was wondering if one the writers of Naruto, Bleach or One Piece were to rewrite the Dragonball/Z/Super. What changes would they make, it be like what Gundam Wing is doing with the Glory of Losers manga, retelling the TV series, the outline of the story is the same, but certain events are altered along the way.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Dragonball Retelling

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Honestly, i don't see much point. One of the ideas of manga (and really everything) is to make something only you could make. You can't really have Dragonball without Toriyama. Even if the other author is skilled, it would just be almost-dragonball-but-not. If they are so good they can make a way better series, have them do that and not be tied down by what already exists.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 pm

I don't know about the writers but I'd love the Naruto Shippuden staff (animators, directors, composers, etc) to work on Super.
It would look and sound amazing.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 am

Well, a quick Google search tells me that the writer of the Endless Waltz series, Katsuyuki Sumisawa, wrote multiple episodes of Dragon Ball, Z, and Naruto, he wrote the first Naruto film, and the Bardock TV Special. So... We have definitive proof another writer(who worked on two series you name-dropped) can take Toriyama's world and write something good? Of course, you can make the argument that the Bardock special is inherently a story Toriyama would never write; he says as much himself; so you run into the problem RedRibbonSoldier presented.

(The first Naruto movie is pretty, but I remember it being fairly dull when I watched it once almost a decade ago)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Akira Toriyama lets Ooishi Nado write Dragon Ball-related manga, but I don't think he'd let anybody write something Dragon Ball related if he didn't like it or have a say in it. Granted, he wasn't able to do anything with Dragonball Evolution but that was completely American and I'm sure they didn't even tell him much about it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:38 pm

I won't be interested in that sort of retelling. But, talking about retellings, I would like to see movies following the three DB movies. See how they handle Piccolo and the DBZ sagas in this (slightly) different continuity.
Anyone else feels the same? :roll:

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Majin Jator wrote:I won't be interested in that sort of retelling. But, talking about retellings, I would like to see movies following the three DB movies. See how they handle Piccolo and the DBZ sagas in this (slightly) different continuity.
You have a like-minded friend here. It certainly won't happen now, but I'm interested how Dragon Ball Movie 3 would branch off from where it ended myself. As the movies progressed, they've shown an increasing willingness to explore directions that normally wouldn't be considered. It would be fun to see how wildly off-course the original story would become in that continuity. My only concern is pacing and brevity. It would do them well to loosely follow Toriyama's story so that they aren't cramming in multiple elements.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:22 pm

I think Kishimoto would handle the characters better and Oda would do a lot more with the world and gives us new locations.
Majin Jator wrote:I won't be interested in that sort of retelling. But, talking about retellings, I would like to see movies following the three DB movies. See how they handle Piccolo and the DBZ sagas in this (slightly) different continuity.
I'd love to get a 9 part movie series that covers the entire manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Looking at the Big 3's works, you can get a good idea on how Kubo, Oda, and Kishimoto would do.

Oda's would be the Hunt for the Dragonballs Arc, on steroids. All Seven Dragonballs scattered all over the world, low tech setting to keep the cast from getting around way too fast. I can easily see the Tenkaichi, Red Ribbon, and Piccolo Daimao Arcs all happening and completing before the seventh dragonball being found. And after that? Time for Space, Black Star Dragonballs with a Freeza backdrop I'm sure. After 20 years, the series would end with Goku coming back to Earth with his friends, having beaten Freeza. It's possible the story would pick up again a la Super, as now, there's more universes to explore. Super would be nothing but exploring the other 12 universes and the fun and the adventure.

Kishimoto's would probably be the closest to Toriyama's vision, except maybe some angst with Goku knowing he's an alien,. Perhaps in the background, Jaco is still around, searching for Goku, coming to kill him. Jaco may still be the comedic force, but will take on Goku when he would still be a threat. Bulma would definitely work towards pulling Goku out of his funk, and maybe would be a better friend than canon Bulma ever was. Arcs would more or less be like Toriyama's, maybe instead of Goku going back to Master Roshi, he goes to live with Yamcha, Bulma, Oolong and Puar as they are his family now. a lot of the story would focus on nature vs nurture, Freeza probably wouldn't be around, the Saiyans would be the space napoleohitlers of the universe, and Goku would be the one accepting of Earth and with Jaco's help, tells his race that he's an Earthling

Kubo could very well go Dragonball Evolution, and make it work-initially. He has problems keeping steady as Bleach shows. But his candle in the wind ways would be okay if the series is kept to one to three arcs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 pm

sintzu wrote:I think Kishimoto would handle the characters better.
Except everyone would have sob story which is one of the things I personally dislike about Naruto (mainly Shippuden)

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:00 pm

I don't trust any of the 3 with Dragon Ball. Oda's a good writer, but I don't want sob stories and overdramatic panels 24/7 and a bloated cast of characters. I'd only trust Yoshihiro Togashi or Tetsuo Hara to write a retelling as far as shonen writers go, because I see the spirit of certain characters in their works; maybe Sorachi too. I'd love to see a Naoki Urusawa version too, like how he did Pluto for Astro Boy.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Lol, no one likes to cry around here apparently. :P

I'm kidding a bit. Sometimes it's okay to have a little angst. Maybe Oda and Kishimoto can go overboard, and Kubo won't stop with those flashbacks, but I'd still trust Oda and Kishimoto for a long series, and Kubo for a short series.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:19 pm

I would definitely like to see Dragon Ball retold in a more mature setting with darker themes and a well-written plot. I hesitate to use the word "seinen" here but something resembling it is okay.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:10 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Except everyone would have sob story which is one of the things I personally dislike about Naruto (mainly Shippuden)
Yeah Kishi does go overboard with the whole emotional backstory thing but still he would do a good job. I think other characters would be more relevant which is what sintzu wanted to say.

- Travis

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:37 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Unless you're Tenten.
Despite Kishimoto saying that Tenten was his favorite female character, we know almost nothing about her.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:42 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Despite Kishimoto saying that Tenten was his favorite female character, we know almost nothing about her.
I think it's like with Toriyama saying Piccolo is his favorite, they like these characters above the rest but the don't know what to do with them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:16 am

I don't think we could ever see something like that, but if it were to happen I would be all for it. Dragon Ball has evolved past a point where it no longer is just Toriyama's work. It only happens that the work he is usually attached to turns out to be better than what other writers come up within the story. GT had great concepts and passion put behind it, however the direction they went in was bad. The Bardock special is insanely good without Toriyama writing it and I've never heard anyone say it's "almost" Dragon Ball. The History of Trunks TV version is better than Toriyama's (though you could argue that being his story, but still). A lot of the old movies are great, with interesting concepts, but lack time to develop anything. There is precedence in the series of other people than Toriyama handling it well, so I don't see why not? Take the old DB (not Z) movies. They are pretty much what the OP presents: retelling the original story but also putting a new spin on it and they range from entertaining at least, to great.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:42 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Honestly, i don't see much point. One of the ideas of manga (and really everything) is to make something only you could make. You can't really have Dragonball without Toriyama. Even if the other author is skilled, it would just be almost-dragonball-but-not. If they are so good they can make a way better series, have them do that and not be tied down by what already exists.
This really. The main idea of any form entertainment is to make something only you can do or make, you can't have any series without person who created it in the first place eg, One Piece would not be op without Oda,Naruto would not be Naruto without Kishi,hxh would not be hxh without togashi,Blizzard would not be Blizzard without Chris metzen. Also like you said if they are so good that they can that they can make a way better series have them do that and not be tied down.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:03 am

Wasn't there that "Cross Epoch" manga crossover with dragon ball and one piece that was written by Toriyama and Oda in collaboration? How did that work, did Toriyama draw all the dragon ball characters and Oda draw all the one piece characters? Did Oda draw the whole thing while Toriyama and him both worked on story and character designs? Because that would count as an example of someone else writing Toriyama's characters

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:01 am

Deathbringer wrote:Wasn't there that "Cross Epoch" manga crossover with dragon ball and one piece that was written by Toriyama and Oda in collaboration? How did that work, did Toriyama draw all the dragon ball characters and Oda draw all the one piece characters? Did Oda draw the whole thing while Toriyama and him both worked on story and character designs? Because that would count as an example of someone else writing Toriyama's characters
Here's a guide with some of their roles expanded upon. Toriyama drew his own characters while claiming Oda "did almost everything".