Is any villain in the franchise irredeemable?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Is any villain in the franchise irredeemable?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:22 pm

At first, we could have all said that Vegeta and Piccolo were irredeemable monsters, but they changed with time. Are any villains in this series truly monsters that can't change for the better?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is any villain in the franchise irredeemable?

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:25 pm

Freeza. They brought him back and he still couldn't change.

As of right now I'm tempted to say Gokû Black, but I don't know his full back story yet so.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 pm

As long as the writer wills it, nope.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:49 pm

So far as I know, Frieza, Cell and Buu fill that category.

(I mention Buu since he had to be reborn to become good.)

And maybe the movie villains apart from BoG and RF count? I'm not sure.
Last edited by DragonBallFoodie on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 pm

In DB, Tao is irredeemable.
In Z, Cell is irredemable.
Of the movie villains, Garlic Jr., Turles, Lord Slug, Cooler, Android 13, Android 14, Android 15, Bido, Bojack, Hoi, and Hirudegarn are pretty irredeemable.
In GT, Eis Shenron/Sān Xīng Lóng was an irredeemable scumbag.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:06 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:In Z, Cell is irredemable.
There's a game where Cell becomes good, though.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Freeza is definitely irredeemable as already pointed out.

Future Androids 17 and 18 are pretty irredeemable; they are vastly different than their present counterparts. Those monsters just like to destroy. They killed all of the Z fighters and kept the planet practically hostage for 13 or so years.

I would say Kid Buu is irredeemable too; he was a brainless monster with no real purpose to destroy and actually blew up the Earth.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:10 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Sorry to bother, but which game is that?

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:20 pm

Kanassa wrote:As long as the writer wills it, nope.
Its an in universe discussion.

In my opinion, I would say Freeza would be the obvious choice. Evil Buu (Grey Buu) comes to mind although I'm not 100% sure about him. Kid Buu seems somewhat redeemable considering he was reincarnated as Uub.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:41 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

I don't know, if someone could tell me which game this gif is from.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Doctor. wrote: There's a game where Cell becomes good, though.

I don't know, if someone could tell me which game this gif is from.
Thanks, and that might be from Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Chuquita wrote:Freeza. They brought him back and he still couldn't change.
I wouldn't sell Freeza too short just yet. Piccolo and Vegeta were slowly redeemed trough being forced to team up with the good guys.

Freeza was never blessed with that opportunity.

----

You know, I just had another thought. Freeza could always be reincarnated as a good person. Why doesn't Goku ask Enma for another favor? He's saved the universe one more time since Buu, he deserves another one. Imagine him training Buu's reincarnation along with Freeza's reincarnation.

And then Cell could be reincarnated and become Gohan's student at a university.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:37 pm

Freeza, King Piccolo, Tao, Babidi and Cell are revelled in their evil and showed no remorse for their actions and given the chance, they would just kill and wreak as much havocas possible until someone stopped them.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:36 am

Chuquita wrote:Freeza. They brought him back and he still couldn't change.
I want begrudging good-guy Freeza so, so bad.

Every time one of those silly "What would you change about ... ?" threads pops up, I now have a legitimate answer in "Have Beerus revive Freeza for the Universe 6 tournament because he's an asshole and is like, 'Hey. Did you see how strong this guy is? You want me to leave him off the team because you don't like each other?'"

Real answer, though: Dragon Ball's approach to redeemable and irredeemable villains seems to be all in the presentation. Future 17 and 18 are portrayed to the end as complete monsters, even though in the main timeline they turn out just fine. We have people in this thread calling Tao Pai Pai irredeemable, but just last arc, Goku displayed respect toward Hit. Vegeta is a mass-murderer who gloats about the fact he wiped out a Namekian village that is never revived, and now he's protagonist #2.

Basically, anyone can be redeemed as long as they're not a transforming big-bad. Unless they magically split or reincarnate from one. And even then who knows. Beerus and Whis are technically monsters on a cosmic scale, but being around Goku and Vegeta seems to have mellowed them out.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Freeza, King Piccolo, Tao, Babidi and Cell are revelled in their evil and showed no remorse for their actions and given the chance, they would just kill and wreak as much havocas possible until someone stopped them.
So... Like Vegeta?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:40 am

Freeza came back for revenge twice after Namek and didn't change. Even more if you count the anime and GT.

I don't see why people think Freeza would ever concern himself with helping others or saving people. He's a tyrant looking only to further himself. He's also willing to kill his followers (as also seen with his anger toward Zarbon for losing the dragonballs) and so forth.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:33 am

The only reason Piccolo and Vegeta were put on the path of good is because stronger enemies showed up. I think Cell and maybe even Future 17 and 18 would have eventually become good if for example Dabura and Babidi had showed up in their eras.

With Kid Buu it's more complicated since the creature is barely sentient at all... The trick may have been for him to absorb someone immensely good. Or maybe his reincarnation into Uub just counts.

Freeza probably would never ally himself with the Z Fighters, but, if the Androids were already active when he landed on Earth, I think it's possible through a series of long-winded events that he would chose to leave the planet. He is arrogant and shit but not above fear. In RoF he didn't look like he was planning to attack Beerus and Whis next.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:02 pm

If Vegeta is redeemable in peoples eyes, then I can't see how anyone who put in an effort to change can't be redeemed. I mean Vegeta probably killed millions of living things just cause he could, so I guess kill count can be negated by changing your ways. The only people who can't be redeemed are the ones who refused to change. Frieza wouldn't be redeemed, but he could be I guess. Piccolo jr was surprisingly tame all things considered. He never killed anyone on panel. Although that city wide blast may have killed someone. He also probably never caused any trouble prior or post 23rd budokai.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:09 pm

For me, both Freeza and Cell are irredeemable. Freeza was spared by Goku and try to sneak attack the latter, was revived twice with only revenge in his mindset and even if he was fighting a common enemy, he would find a way to backstab his ally. I think if Vegeta was put on the same shoes as Freeza in namek, he would have used Goku's energy to retreat.

As for Cell, he would rather blow himself up up than to accept his loss to Gohan - that pretty much says everything.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:30 am

Broly. His father had to strap him with a fucking mind-control device just to kind of, sort of tame him. In the 2nd and 3rd movies, he's pretty much brain dead, but in the first one, he was conscious enough to purposely destroy the planet of innocent extraterrestrials he never even interacted with for the single pleasure of watching them suffer. He gleefully murdered his father in cold blood. He openly regards himself as the devil, and I think at one point tries to kill Gohan to torment Goku.

As he is presented in the movies, there is no way to redeem Broly. He's possibly the most evil villain in the entire series.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super