Have your favorite characters in DB-DBZ changed as you've gotten older?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Have your favorite characters in DB-DBZ changed as you've gotten older?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:12 am

Anime Kitten wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Theres already been multiple "Favorite character" threads. Once I post in one, I feel no need to post in another.
I created the thread because there's no current one of the like, so it's good to post in there to have an up-to-date record of what could potentially be every user's favorites.
I'm good thank you. :thumbup:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:00 am

I like Mr. Satan, Fat Buu, Super Buu, and Saiyan/Namek era Vegeta a lot more, and like Android/Buu era Vegeta and Goku less.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:49 pm

When I was a kid, I hated Mr. Satan and Fat Buu. I also thought that Cell arc Vegeta was awesome. Today, I love Mr. Satan and enjoy Fat Buu, but I hate Cell arc Vegeta. The one thing that has remained absolutely true till this day is that Goku is still my favorite character. Always was and always will be.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 am

I don't like the way they treat Piccolo in Super. I mean, he was once a threat and such an important, strong character of the series and now he's just like Yamcha, Tien, Gohan and Krillin. Nothing but a weakling and now used for comic refilef at times.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:47 am

My favorite characters as a kid haven't really stopped being my favorite characters. It's just the ones I thought were inconsequential and/or annoying as a kid are more entertaining as an adult for some reason. haha They all happen to be gag characters. Mr. Satan, the Pilaf Gang, etc.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:17 pm

It used to be
Goku
Gohan
Piccolo
Cell
Vegeta

now it's
Piccolo/Gohan
Gohan/Piccolo
Future Trunks
Vegeta
Goku

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:39 am

My top six changed greatly in 2005, when I first watched the original Dragonball.

My favourite characters in my childhood:

Bulma
Future Trunks
Goku
Gohan
Goten
Piccolo

My favourite characters since my teenage years:
Yamcha
Bulma
Goku
Tenshinhan
Kuririn
Lunch

I still love Gohan, Piccolo Trunks and Goten, but my top six has changed greatly since watching the original DB. these four are still in my top ten.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:47 am

I mean, I haven't really 'grown up' with this series; I've only been a fan for about 3 years. But the one thing I've been realising is I've been enjoying Goku a lot more than I used to. Maybe because I wasn't as familiar with the Dragon Ball portion of the story, but Goku seemed like someone who'd just show up and beat the villain really unsatisfyingly. I think nowadays, I understand his character a lot more. And I enjoy those moments for what they are.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix