Back to the level sets again

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Emiliow

Back to the level sets again

Post by Emiliow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:48 am

Hello everyone
In my attempt to drown the sorrow of not being able to purchase the illusive Dragon Boxes, I am thinking of getting myself the Level Sets. I know the thing that they're not complete, not even close, not even the first story arc... But then again, maybe I don't need a complete set. I own the Blu Ray Season Set (they're not close to perfect, I know) and the manga in my native language.
Maybe the Level Set can satisfy me, a look into what could have been. I'll probably still keep a look out for the Dragon Boxes but at this moment my finances won't allow it, as I'm a student, I can't justify spending that amount of money, maybe one day when I get a "real" job...

Enough rambling though, I just wanted to share my feelings. I've read here that episodes 35 - 39 of Dragon Ball Z, from these Level Sets, was available for Xbox, and some claim PSN. Are they still available or possible to find? I do have a PS3, and just looked for them on the store, and everything is offered in SD and HD, but the episodes could very well be taken from the Orange Bricks and the Blu Ray Season Sets, and I don't want to spend money without certainty.

To summarize, does anyone know if the last couple of episodes, 35 - 39, are still available on PSN, if they ever were?
If so, then I might be getting myself these Level Sets!

Thanks for your time, and have a great day! :)

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Back to the level sets again

Post by TheBalishChannel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:33 am

Episodes 35 through 39 on the PlayStation Video service still use the Level Set footage. Just be sure you purchase the episodes in HD and are able view them on a PlayStation Video compatible device that allows for HD download/streaming. There is no telling when they will update these to use the new "Season Blu-ray" footage but I suspect it will be rather soon considering they just updated the entirety of Seasons 1-5 on the XBOX Video service about a month or two ago.

To date, the only device capable of downloading HD video from the Playstation Store is the PS3. Every other device that has access to the PlayStation Video service can only stream HD video over the internet and the quality is usually butchered by a poor bitrate and/or constant buffering. Downloading them on the PS3 is definitely the best way to go since the episodes are saved directly to your harddrive, which means you're not only getting the best image quality but you also don't have to worry about them being updated as long as you don't delete them.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:Episodes 35 through 39 on the PlayStation Video service still use the Level Set footage.
Has anyone capped those yet?

I have an HDCP stripper and a cap card that I used to use back when PS3s were a thing. Wondering if it's worth my time capping them if they're likely to be gone soon.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Emiliow

Post by Emiliow » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:47 am

Seems like the service isn't available in Europe, even when using a US account. I'll probably still buy the Level Sets, they are pretty neat, and at least I'm in the know so I won't feel cheated about buying them.
One day I want to buy the Dragon Boxes but no way at the moment. :o
Thanks for answering my question! :thumbup:

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Emiliow wrote:Seems like the service isn't available in Europe, even when using a US account. I'll probably still buy the Level Sets, they are pretty neat, and at least I'm in the know so I won't feel cheated about buying them.
I would definitely agree with your decision of getting the Level Sets, even though they are not the complete series they're still very cool to own for a fair few reasons.

1. Excluding the crushed blacks it's the highest quality DBZ has ever been (I think it looks better than Kai)

2. It has better colours than Dragon Boxes

3. It's still relatively inexpensive, likely will rise in the future
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm

thomas1up wrote:
Emiliow wrote:Seems like the service isn't available in Europe, even when using a US account. I'll probably still buy the Level Sets, they are pretty neat, and at least I'm in the know so I won't feel cheated about buying them.
I would definitely agree with your decision of getting the Level Sets, even though they are not the complete series they're still very cool to own for a fair few reasons.

1. Excluding the crushed blacks it's the highest quality DBZ has ever been (I think it looks better than Kai)

2. It has better colours than Dragon Boxes

3. It's still relatively inexpensive, likely will rise in the future
I agree with all three of these points. I own both the Season 1 Blu-Ray set as well as both available Level sets and there is no comparison in the quality. Yes, the blacks are a bit crushed and it can at times be a tad dark (particularly with episodes in 1.1) but the amount of detail you gain in maintaining the grain, accurate color grading, and 4:3 aspect ratio in the Level sets are worth the cost of admission imo.

My opinion is slightly biased, however, since the Saiyan Saga is my favorite part of Z and the only one I was dying to physically own in the first place (though I would be over the moon and back if Funi decided to re-continue the Level sets for the other seasons, and the original DB as well). The prices on the Level sets also seem to fluctuate greatly, I've seen the lowest price on each set be close to ten dollars and close to fifty dollars on Amazon at varying points. Conclusion: If you see them for cheap, snatch them up.

That's very interesting that the unreleased episodes are still available on PSN.... I don't have a PS3 but I may have to hit up a friend of mine who does now. It'd be nice if someone did capture them, or if they were available somewhere on the internet as well since its a bit awkward leaving the first season unfinished in that quality.

As a side note, does anyone know if Funi has any plans on releasing the original DB or the DB movies on Blu-ray?
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:42 am

Ajay wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:Episodes 35 through 39 on the PlayStation Video service still use the Level Set footage.

I have an HDCP stripper and a cap card that I used to use back when PS3s were a thing. Wondering if it's worth my time capping them if they're likely to be gone soon.
Someone we both know have capped these, Ajay.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:06 am

sangofe wrote:
Ajay wrote:

Someone we both know have capped these, Ajay.
Great!!! a hope to see them publicly?

edit: i know there is a 720p rip somewhere on a public tracker i talk about it here : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33841

but there is no grain so if better version exist i am interested

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:55 pm

The encoding on streams like that typically kill off all grain anyway. The bitrate just isn't enough to preserve it.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Ajay wrote:

I've recorded all 5 episodes. I've made reference to it before but Kanzenshuu kept deleting my comments on the matter.

Here's a sample of what I've recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLZpZglC2o
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 am

Arian wrote:
Ajay wrote:

I've recorded all 5 episodes. I've made reference to it before but Kanzenshuu kept deleting my comments on the matter.

Here's a sample of what I've recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLZpZglC2o
One of my favorite scenes from the Saiyan Saga, and the quality is fantastic!
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW