Shueisha's 'Dragon Ball' Room, New Department Focused on Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Shueisha's 'Dragon Ball' Room, New Department Focused on Dragon Ball

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Very slim chance of happening, but I would love to see more Great Saiyaman Stuff. That was probably some of my favorite stuff in the series.

Also, now that I think about it I kind of like the idea of a New Dragonball for a younger generation. If this helps towards that, then here is hoping all goes well.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:45 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:So, Toriyama will no longer write story outlines for Super now?
Why do you think that? There's a new studio that, in itself, doesn't have much to do with Toriyama. There's no reason he should stop sending outlines.
Because of this:
The department is working to provide new ideas for content for Dragon Ball, and to optimize and expand the brand. Iyoku commented that the department is "only thinking about Dragon Ball."
Dragon Ball creator Toriyama commented on the new department, saying that the team was one he could put his trust in. He joked, "It's really great that I don't have to do anything now."
Sounds like with what happened with Star Wars, George Lucas was writing the main canon stories (Episodes I-VI, The Clone Wars), but now the Story Group is responsible for the canon stories. Here, Toriyama seems to be replaced with the "Dragon Ball Room".
ArchedThunder wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:So, Toriyama will no longer write story outlines for Super now?
Toriyama was just joking because there is a whole department of Shueisha focused on Dragon Ball. Depending on the staff though they might help him out with designing characters though, as well as fleshing out his ideas.
I guess we'll have to wait & see this "Dragon Ball Room's" exact role.
This was bound to happen sooner or later, you have an elderly author who in all honestly gets burnt out very easily these days and rightfully so. I think Shueishia will work closely with Toei and pump out tons of new manga and anime to go alongside it. This is kind of been going on all along but we now have confirmation on it, Toriyama got suggestions and you had Toei filling in the gaps with the mini arcs, and you have tons of different artist doing tons of manga spin offs. It's just a confirmation of what we more or less already knew. Having said that I don't see them ending Super, but coming up with ideas for the series and getting Toriyama's green light for the suggestion. That's more or less what It's been slowly turned into if it hasn't been that way all along. I'm just glad Dragon Ball isn't dying anytime soon, I'd like to think judging by the filler arcs that Toei and Shueishia has a good idea of what Toriyama would do or wouldn't do.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:50 pm

My crazy guess as to how things will go is that that come December the next arc of the anime will be announced with a message from Toriyama confirming that it's based on an outline of his and it will still take place before the end of Z. Toyotaro will finish up the Future Trunks arc in a few more months and then move to doing a post end of Z weekly manga in Weekly Jump that is based on outlines from Toriyama and fleshed out by himself and the others at Dragon Ball Room. The anime of Super will continue for about a year while the sequel manga is running in Jump, then when Toei has enough of a buffer to work off of they will create an anime based on the new manga and tie the ending of the Super anime into the start of the new series. Then years from now Toriyama will step down, but not in the immediate future, making Dragon Ball Room completely in charge of the story of Dragon Ball going forward.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:52 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Why do you think that? There's a new studio that, in itself, doesn't have much to do with Toriyama. There's no reason he should stop sending outlines.
Because of this:
The department is working to provide new ideas for content for Dragon Ball, and to optimize and expand the brand. Iyoku commented that the department is "only thinking about Dragon Ball."
Dragon Ball creator Toriyama commented on the new department, saying that the team was one he could put his trust in. He joked, "It's really great that I don't have to do anything now."
Sounds like with what happened with Star Wars, George Lucas was writing the main canon stories (Episodes I-VI, The Clone Wars), but now the Story Group is responsible for the canon stories. Here, Toriyama seems to be replaced with the "Dragon Ball Room".
ArchedThunder wrote:
Toriyama was just joking because there is a whole department of Shueisha focused on Dragon Ball. Depending on the staff though they might help him out with designing characters though, as well as fleshing out his ideas.
I guess we'll have to wait & see this "Dragon Ball Room's" exact role.
You can draw a comparison, but Toriyama isn't Lucas, and this wasn't announced as a replacement for him. It very well could be that one of these days, but replacing him now would be idiotic. His name recognition is a large part of what jump-started the Dragon Ball Renaissance to begin with, they'll hold on to him as long as possible.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:53 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:My crazy guess as to how things will go is that that come December the next arc of the anime will be announced with a message from Toriyama confirming that it's based on an outline of his and it will still take place before the end of Z. Toyotaro will finish up the Future Trunks arc in a few more months and then move to doing a post end of Z weekly manga in Weekly Jump that is based on outlines from Toriyama and fleshed out by himself and the others at Dragon Ball Room. The anime of Super will continue for about a year while the sequel manga is running in Jump, then when Toei has enough of a buffer to work off of they will create an anime based on the new manga and tie the ending of the Super anime into the start of the new series. Then years from now Toriyama will step down, but not in the immediate future, making Dragon Ball Room completely in charge of the story of Dragon Ball going forward.
I really think Toyotaro could pull off a weekly run with a few assistants! Hell, bring in Young Jijii to help.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Xeztin wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:My crazy guess as to how things will go is that that come December the next arc of the anime will be announced with a message from Toriyama confirming that it's based on an outline of his and it will still take place before the end of Z. Toyotaro will finish up the Future Trunks arc in a few more months and then move to doing a post end of Z weekly manga in Weekly Jump that is based on outlines from Toriyama and fleshed out by himself and the others at Dragon Ball Room. The anime of Super will continue for about a year while the sequel manga is running in Jump, then when Toei has enough of a buffer to work off of they will create an anime based on the new manga and tie the ending of the Super anime into the start of the new series. Then years from now Toriyama will step down, but not in the immediate future, making Dragon Ball Room completely in charge of the story of Dragon Ball going forward.
I really think Toyotaro could pull off a weekly run with a few assistants! Hell, bring in Young Jijii to help.
That would be my wet dream. Either way, I want more manga, they're my favorite version of DB.
Retired.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Xeztin wrote:I really think Toyotaro could pull off a weekly run with a few assistants! Hell, bring in Young Jijii to help.
He certainly couldn't pull off any worse than one of Kishimoto's former assistants has done with the Boruto manga, at least art-style wise, from what I've seen. :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Xeztin wrote:I really think Toyotaro could pull off a weekly run with a few assistants! Hell, bring in Young Jijii to help.
He certainly couldn't pull off any worse than one of Kishimoto's former assistants has done with the Boruto manga, at least art-style wise, from what I've seen. :crazy:
It is not like they do not have any people talented enough. They have Yamamuro-san, Nakatsuru-san, Toyble-san, Oiishi-san, ... the possibilities are endless.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Xeztin wrote:
That would be my wet dream. Either way, I want more manga, they're my favorite version of DB.
Young Jijii's doing about 70-80 pages a month, him and Toyotaro on a weekly manga would be insane! I don't think Young Jijii wants to work for the company though, I'm sure by now he's at least been looked up by them if Toyble/Toyotaro got the job within 5 volumes to where as Young Jijii has over 20 out.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Nothing has been said about Super and this thing was set up and I presumme running since June so if Toriyama was leaving the creative process of Super we'd have gotten some announcement by now especially since we're nearing the end of the current arc (it seems).

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Chuquita wrote:I liked Pan's EoZ personality. She can be a cheerful, battle hungry character without being a female Gokû. If they replace Gokû, I'd pick her to be it.

I still don't want Gokû replaced at all though. ^^;
In the event that Pan were to ever become the main character of a Dragon Ball series, I agree with you that she can be what you described, without being a female Goku.

As a matter of fact, I feel like a series focusing on Pan would be great if she had a personality similar to that of Sakura Kasugano from Street Fighter.

Very outgoing and respectful in personality, as she is most of the time happy, energetic, cheerful, positive, hard-working and focused in combat. She has a noble spirit and a very determined attitude, either in studies or in martial arts training. She sees Goku as an idol and teacher, rather than an opponent, since she always watches him fight and mirrors herself on his philosophies in battle.

In my eyes, Pan would probably become so much more likable than her GT counterpart if she had a personality like this.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Let's see the currect state of the franchise for a moment:
  • Current on-going anime series: Dragon Ball Super
    Current on-going manga series:
    • Dragon Ball Super
      Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission
      Dragon Ball Discross: Jinryoku God Max!!
      Dragon Ball Fusions: The Manga
      Dragon Ball SD
      Dragon Ball GT Anime Comic
    Latest arcade video-game: Super Dragon Ball Heroes
    Latest console video-game: Dragon Ball XenoVerse 2
    Latest handled video-game: Dragon Ball Fusions
    Latest theatrical movie: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection "F"
The franchise has already been really active so far, I wonder how it will become even more active.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

olympia

Post by olympia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Cipher wrote:I had a weird negative visceral reaction to this. Like Dragon Ball's taken the next step into full-on zombie franchise mode. It was only a matter of time until that happened, ever since it proved itself so renewable, but

... eugh. I don't like it.
I'm mostly in agreement with this sentiment, but I also have positive thoughts about it, too. I think a big new spin-off series (not based on a video game or anything like that) would be majorly fascinating.
Dream job.
Last edited by olympia on Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jedi Knifed

Post by Jedi Knifed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:So long as we get quality product it should be fine.
Cipher wrote:I had a weird negative visceral reaction to this. Like Dragon Ball's taken the next step into full-on zombie franchise mode. It was only a matter of time until that happened, ever since it proved itself so renewable, but

A franchise is meant to be milked.
Unfortunately we haven't been getting much quality DragonBall content since at least 2009. Of course every franchise gets milked, the problem is where they decided to take the story and the characters. I still think that Vegeta having a little brother makes no sense whatsoever, that DragonBall Minus was a huge piece of shit and a terrible way to introduce Goku's mother, and that Freeza's revival and his 4 months of training was awful fan-fiction level writing.

There were some good ideas, I actually liked Beerus and Whis. However making Beerus responsible for almost everything that ever happened in DragonBall was NOT a good idea. Turning ChiChi back into a crazy soccer mom in DragonBall Super, after she mellowed out in the Buu Saga, was NOT a good idea. And quite frankly introducing a new enemy who just happens to be immortal is NOT a good idea, it's one of the lamest cliches in fiction.

Akira Toriyama and the scriptwriters at Toei Animation need better editors.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm currently idling in "wait-and-see" mode. Maybe it'll bring out some good content.
Retired.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:01 pm

I would really love to see Muten Roshi specials, with him becoming a martial artist, pervy antics, rivalry with the Crane Hermit, climbing Karin Tower, fighting off Piccolo Daimao, and becoming the hermit that he is in Dragon Ball. It would be so good (if done right).
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Make a Freeza prequel. With Cooler, Cold and all that is good. And show me when Freeza got bitchslapped by Beerus for being a cocky little shrimp.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Cetra wrote:Make a Freeza prequel. With Cooler, Cold and all that is good.
I'd like to see their involvement with Beerus, and perhaps some female Frost Demons.
(EDIT: You sly post editor...)

Speaking of Beerus, some insight on how he became the God of Destruction and met Whis would be cool.
Last edited by Anime Kitten on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Cetra wrote:Make a Freeza prequel. With Cooler, Cold and all that is good.
I'd like to see their involvement with Beerus, and perhaps some female Frost Demons.

Speaking of Beerus, some insight on how he became the God of Destruction and met Whis would be cool.
Pretty sure Whis bought Beerus in some intergalactic pet shop.

"For the price of 10 Freezas you now get one Beerus! Don't miss this chance!"
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm very worried for how this will pan out, since I have enjoyed very little of the new Dragon Ball content aside from Battle of Gods. I think there is great opportunity to expand on characters' backstories and such, but I have very little faith in the writers unless its Toyotaro since I think his Super manga is good enough.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ