Yeah, I prefer the name Super Saiyan Red over Super Saiyan God

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Yeah, I prefer the name Super Saiyan Red over Super Saiyan God

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:33 am

Honestly, since Dragon Ball's newer depictions of a Super Saiyan transformation display different colors: Super Saiyan God (Red), Super Saiyan Blue (Blue, obviously), and Super Saiyan Rose (Its name suggests the color "pink") - I think it'd be better if they just went that way from the beginning with the names. I'd rather have them be simple with the names then have it be what it is now.

However, I do understand Super Saiyan Blue is just the power of Super Saiyan God mixed with the Super Saiyan transformation. Still, since Goku's hair does not change as a SSJG - I think it should have just been Saiyan God and then Super Saiyan Blue could have been Super Saiyan God AND SO ON.

Still, since they chose to go with colors - I think I just prefer Super Saiyan God being known as Super Saiyan Red, especially since apparently Goten called it just that at one point in DB Super. Going by colors just makes it easier for fans, especially since I imagine a young kid not calling Super Saiyan God its original name, but instead going by Super Saiyan Red in comparison with Super Saiyan Blue.

SO YEAH, from time to time - I'm just going with the name "Super Saiyan Red", even if it's not official. Also, keep in mind - Most fans used to call Super Saiyan Blue the name: Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (which sounds completely stupid to me). But now, for YouTube / Reddit / and even on Kanzenshuu - Many fans just go by the name Super Saiyan Blue. I think the same can be applied to Super Saiyan God. Only problem is that fans need to understand that Super Saiyan God introduced the concept of god transformations before moving on to colors - So, perhaps the SSJG name works.

AND OFF-TOPIC: I KNOW THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID, BUT HOW DOES THE SAIYAN RITUAL AUTOMATICALLY WARRANT "SUPER SAIYAN" BEING IN THE TITLE "SUPER SAIYAN GOD" WHEN PREVIOUSLY, THE SAIYANS MIGHT NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN ABLE TO GO SUPER SAIYAN? Another reason why Saiyan God might've been better.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: Yeah, I prefer the name Super Saiyan Red over Super Saiyan God

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:52 am

Super Saiyan Rosé's name strongly hints towards the alcoholic beverage instead of the color specifically. It's a factor, since they're colored the same, but it meshes better with the godly connotations Dragon Ball Super is full of. I think Super Saiyan God's story is acceptable how it is now. As it was written, it was never meant to stick around and it served to progress Goku's character for Dragon Ball's ending. Dubbing it "Super Saiyan Red" strips it away from its original intention and suggests early on it's a conscious theme to be followed upon later. Dragon Ball, for better or worse, is always in the now. I think you underestimate children, too. I often see the common argument that kids never understand anything but that's probably further from the truth. They pay attention to odd details. Sure, the minority may seek those reasons for why events are strange, but I find the thought of patronizing them entirely unnecessary. In any event, it sounds like we're just adding to the synonym catalog that is Dragon Ball terminology, for motives without meaningful impact. I'd vastly prefer if our references were universal. I've lived through that ordeal enough, interesting as they are, with dozens of alternate takes.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am

Goku Black's SSJ transformation should be called Super Saiyan God. Him calling Super Saiyan Rose makes him look like a pretentious dickhead.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:01 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Him calling Super Saiyan Rose makes him look like a pretentious dickhead.
Yes. The character of Zamasu literally says this about himself in episode 63. This is the whole point.

You don't have to like it, but for what they've written so far, this is all totally in-character.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:21 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku Black's SSJ transformation should be called Super Saiyan God. Him calling Super Saiyan Rose makes him look like a pretentious dickhead.
That's literally Zamasu's character in a nutshell: a pretentious dickhead. Super Saiyan Rosé is totally appropriate.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:28 am

I personally can't wait for Super Saiyan Grey Goose. That'll be the Vegeta clone that pops up at some point.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am

snaku wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Goku Black's SSJ transformation should be called Super Saiyan God. Him calling Super Saiyan Rose makes him look like a pretentious dickhead.
That's literally Zamasu's character in a nutshell: a pretentious dickhead. Super Saiyan Rosé is totally appropriate.
Yeah, but the name's overselling it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Super Saiyan God is the Super Saiyan transformation into a god via at least one method (the ritual).
Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is (essentially) the Super Saiyan God transformation into a Super Saiyan via intense training.
Super Saiyan Blue is a nickname for the mouthful Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
Super Saiyan Red is unnecessary because Super Saiyan God isn't a mouthful and doesn't need a name change.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Regardless of preference, the official name is Super Saiyan God. You can call it whatever you'd like as long as a) people know what you're talking about, and b) you don't try to force it on others.

For example, we all know what "Mystic Gohan" means, but that's not the official name. You can use it as long as you don't bash someone for calling him "Kai-Powered Gohan," for example. You saying "Super Saiyan Red" is self-explanatory, though I'd argue that it's more of Super Saiyan Fuscia (I'm not good with color names as I never studied the Crayola box, but it's a red-pink, not full blown red).

divad86

Post by divad86 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:41 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I personally can't wait for Super Saiyan Grey Goose. That'll be the Vegeta clone that pops up at some point.
When Toei starts doing out of continuity movies like they did for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, expect that to be a candidate for a movie plot.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:28 pm

I have to say this completely solves the problem of SSG on a kids Net. Did you think of that when making this thread? Because its pretty clever if Its true. I know you are a major enthusiast in that area, as I am.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I have to say this completely solves the problem of SSG on a kids Net.
Would a kids network really censor "god"? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I'm just curious. How come Super Saiyan God couldn't be used?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:02 pm

It really cant be used. Only exception I know is Yu Gi Oh with their Egyptian Gods, but that was a long time ago. God is verboten on Kids Cartoons.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:41 am

snaku wrote:
Zamasu is the Doflamingo of Dragon Ball, It's almost the same shade of pink!

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 am

The problem isn't the name, but the manga depiction of it being accessible well after its purpose, which was to turn SSJ into SSJB by mastering its power. We wouldn't try SSJ Red with SSGSS being kept nor before SSJB was made official.
mecha3000 wrote:And off-topic: I know this might sound stupid, but how does the Saiyan ritual automatically warrant "Super Saiyan" being in the title "Super Saiyan God" when previously, the Saiyans might not have been able to go Super Saiyan? Another reason why Saiyan God might've been better.
Super Saiyan God refers to a transformed being of the Saiyan race with the lineage of a God. He transformed to become stronger, which is the same thing as Super Namekian belonging to its race, although without the God lineage. In other words, Super means transformed or above, which Goku was with SSJG.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I have to say this completely solves the problem of SSG on a kids Net.
Would a kids network really censor "god"? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I'm just curious. How come Super Saiyan God couldn't be used?
If I'm not mistaken, whether or not it's allowed depends on the context it's being used in. I distinctly remember that Transformers Prime was allowed to have one of the villains call himself a "god" when it was pretty clearly used in a metaphorical context, but they couldn't call the actual gods present or mentioned in the series "gods". Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes also calls Thor the "prince of thunder" instead of the god of thunder in its opening. Then again, I also remember Eris from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy explicitly being called the goddess of chaos, so I'd have to imagine that this might be network-specific censorship, or maybe "goddess" just gets a free pass while "god" doesn't. Since the one example I can think of where it was allowed aired on Cartoon Network, I'd have to imagine that calling Goku a Super Saiyan God would be fair game, but that's about the least of your worries with respect to censorship. Super would probably be considered too visually graphic by current broadcast regulations to air uncensored on any American network other than Adult Swim.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Super Saiyajin Lord
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller