"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

Slut_Muffin wrote:
Sean Schemmel wrote:I get to do whatever, the licensor, and my director allows me to do. We work hard with very little data to interpret the original source material and preserve it to the best of our ability whilst making it palatable for English speaking audiences.
Yes, you are wrong. You are dubbing an existing show, you don't get 'artistic license'. This isn't the 90s, Mr Hope of the Universe.
Wow, that was quite unnecessary response. I'm not a huge fan of the english dub neither Schemmel, but that was just rude. People should respect his work.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: The only time they did it with One Piece was when they said Zoro "killed" Daz Bones. Other than that, it's been 100% faithful
You're missing some of the creative license that went into one of the CP9 agents. In the Japanese version, he spoke like an old man from the rural. In the Funi dub, he spoke like someone from Leave it to Beaver. It's creative license to create the 'proper' effect without being 100% faithful.
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Black was stated to be his own character. He's clearly not Goku but at the same time he isn't Zamasu. Goku Black is Zamasu in soul yes, but being in Goku's body had corrupted him, he has the pride of a Saiyan now, the thirst for battle. Again, it's been a while since I watched the Goku Black Arc. But I know I didn't think of Black as a separate character on my own. If Black was just Zamasu in Goku's body, why do we still call him Goku Black? They did in the show too after the reveal.

Point is. Sean's logic is Rose' causes Goku Black to suddenly gain an accent because Zamasu is inside of him and Rose' causes Zamasu to take over more. This has never been stated ever in any material and it's the dub and Funimation taking too many liberties with the characters.

Where? In the show, he's Zamasu and is never treated as his own character once the reveal is made. He also never called himself 'Goku Black' or 'Black'.

Sean always changes the 'voice' of a Super Saiyan. So him doing so with Rose isn't surprising, even if he's reasoning is wonky. But even the Japanese version have artistic license in that Goku's Japanese VA gave Goku a hint accent, yet he never had one in the original manga. His dialog was casual, but normal.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 pm

HeroR wrote:Sean always changes the 'voice' of a Super Saiyan. So him doing so with Rose isn't surprising, even if he's reasoning is wonky. But even the Japanese version have artistic license in that Goku's Japanese VA gave Goku a hint accent, yet he never had one in the original manga. His dialog was casual, but normal.
You bring up a very good point actually. Unlike the example you gave there was in fact no basis/source for Black's voice in DBS and Nozawa obviously did what Sean is trying to do now, interpret the character. Yet one get's praised the other gets criticised. Fair play to Sean for recognising that Black and Zamasu should have at least some synergy between them and his reasoning isn't entirely wonky either, SSR Black debuts when Zamasu and he are finally onscreen together at so it makes sense for him to see himself and then subconsciously try and act like him and in that case it means adding a (hopefully subtle) accent.

Nozawa can have artistic license but Sean can't? Seems a bit unfair if you ask me. If Sean interprets SSR like that then let him, no way does this suggest the dub will bring this explanation up it is just his own head canon for what he perceives is happening. Instead people jump on his back and then quick to call him a tool and ignore when their own buddies are similarly rude to him, it is this tit for tat attitude I hate and I expect more from these people especially ones who have influence in the DB community. If a kid is swearing at the parent you don't expect the parent when scolding to kid to swear back, do you? Not to mention Sean's responses weren't even that rude to begin with.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: You bring up a very good point actually. Unlike the example you gave there was in fact no basis/source for Black's voice in DBS and Nozawa obviously did what Sean is trying to do now, interpret the character. Yet one get's praised the other gets criticised. Fair play to Sean for recognising that Black and Zamasu should have at least some synergy between them and his reasoning isn't entirely wonky either, SSR Black debuts when Zamasu and he are finally onscreen together at so it makes sense for him to see himself and then subconsciously try and act like him and in that case it means adding a (hopefully subtle) accent.

Nozawa can have artistic license but Sean can't? Seems a bit unfair if you ask me. If Sean interprets SSR like that then let him, no way does this suggest the dub will bring this explanation up it is just his own head canon for what he perceives is happening. Instead people jump on his back and then quick to call him a tool and ignore when their own buddies are similarly rude to him, it is this tit for tat attitude I hate and I expect more from these people especially ones who have influence in the DB community. If a kid is swearing at the parent you don't expect the parent when scolding to kid to swear back, do you? Not to mention Sean's responses weren't even that rude to begin with.
I say wonky since Black is never treated differently than Zamasu in the actual source. So while I can see what Sean is saying, it isn't supported in the story. If anything, Black gets closer to Goku after he gets Rose and less like his true self.

Nozawa have artistic license since her view on Goku isn't the same as Toriyama. In fact, they had a discussion about this in one QA. And as I pointed out in a panel, Nozawa and Sean had a discussion on how they view Goku. They came up with two different interpretations and shared notes. Nozawa also encouraged Sean to do his own thing with Goku instead of trying to copy her.

Sean could have been more 'professional', but if someone talked to me like that, I wouldn't hold anything back. Being a fan and buying a produce shouldn't be used as an excuse to shit talk someone and then play victim when they give a natural human response.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: You bring up a very good point actually. Unlike the example you gave there was in fact no basis/source for Black's voice in DBS and Nozawa obviously did what Sean is trying to do now, interpret the character. Yet one get's praised the other gets criticised. Fair play to Sean for recognising that Black and Zamasu should have at least some synergy between them and his reasoning isn't entirely wonky either, SSR Black debuts when Zamasu and he are finally onscreen together at so it makes sense for him to see himself and then subconsciously try and act like him and in that case it means adding a (hopefully subtle) accent.

I say wonky since Black is never treated differently than Zamasu in the actual source. So while I can see what Sean is saying, it isn't supported in the story. If anything, Black gets closer to Goku after he gets Rose and less like his true self.

Nozawa have artistic license since her view on Goku isn't the same as Toriyama. In fact, they had a discussion about this in one QA. And as I pointed out in a panel, Nozawa and Sean had a discussion on how they view Goku. They came up with two different interpretations and shared notes. Nozawa also encouraged Sean to do his own thing with Goku instead of trying to copy her.

Sean could have been more 'professional', but if someone talked to me like that, I wouldn't hold anything back. Being a fan and buying a produce shouldn't be used as an excuse to shit talk someone and then play victim when they give a natural human response.
I think I may have seen that panel on YT not sure but I do remember one where Nozawa was doing a line in Goku's voice and Schemmel was proper geeking out that was pretty hilarious :lol: Might have been the same panel you're talking about.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I think I may have seen that panel on YT not sure but I do remember one where Nozawa was doing a line in Goku's voice and Schemmel was proper geeking out that was pretty hilarious :lol: Might have been the same panel you're talking about.
Yeah, that's the panel. Honestly, anyone who is a fan of Dragon Ball, sub or dub, should watched it.

There is also another panel with several voices from both the sub and dub. It was funny since the voices of Videl both loved the same scene and even voiced it in-character in their respective language. It was also touching since the Japanese actors were talking about how they had this giant family with the voices who play Dragon Ball across the globe. It really highlights how petty the dub vs sub debate is.
Kanassa wrote:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:10 pm

please delete this
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Both sides went too far. "Mr. Hope of the Universe" is just an immature jab. Like wow. Really Ajay? Are you 15?

And while I dont completely agree, I 110% see where Schemmel is coming from. He gets criticized no matter what he does, and has been for the past 20 years. From fans that don't like the dub, never have and never will. It really gets wearing on a person. So him being snippy to criticism isn't really out of left field.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm kind of dissapointed in Ajay. I've looked up to him a lot regarding the animation and creative direction of the show and respected him too but to throw a little jab like that was unwarranted and rude. Schemmel does get shit on constantly, the guy is just sick of it, let him be
My thoughts exactly.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Both sides went too far. "Mr. Hope of the Universe" is just an immature jab. Like wow. Really Ajay? Are you 15?

And while I dont completely agree, I 110% see where Schemmel is coming from. He gets criticized no matter what he does, and has been for the past 20 years. From fans that don't like the dub, never have and never will. It really gets wearing on a person. So him being snippy to criticism isn't really out of left field.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm kind of dissapointed in Ajay. I've looked up to him a lot regarding the animation and creative direction of the show and respected him too but to throw a little jab like that was unwarranted and rude. Schemmel does get shit on constantly, the guy is just sick of it, let him be
My thoughts exactly.
As someone who post on Reddit, Slut_Muffin seems to be Ajay's real personalty when they're not under a mob. They often make smartass and snippy posts when someone don't agree with them and is regularly down voted. When I say the name, I went 'oh, is that jackass'. I was surprised to find out it was Ajay. Really, thought they were more mature than that. Especially since I thought Slut_Muffin was a teenager going by their posts.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Sean Schemmel has been voicing Goku for 18 years and he still doesn't know the difference between the dub and the sub. Why does he insult fans? I don't think any of the other FUNI VA's do that.

If he wasn't Goku he'd probably be fired.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 pm

precita wrote:Sean Schemmel has been voicing Goku for 18 years and he still doesn't know the difference between the dub and the sub. Why does he insult fans? I don't think any of the other FUNI VA's do that.

If he wasn't Goku he'd probably be fired.
He knows the different, wtf are you talking about? And you keep saying this, but VAs have been dick to fans before and those fans purposely egged him like Ajay.

Being a fan doesn't give you permission to be jackass and the person is supposed to just take it. Especially if you would get aggressive if someone talked or treated you in such a way.
Kanassa wrote:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

HeroR wrote:
As someone who post on Reddit, Slut_Muffin seems to be Ajay's real personalty when they're not under a mob. They often make smartass and snippy posts when someone don't agree with them and is regularly down voted. When I say the name, I went 'oh, is that jackass'. I was surprised to find out it was Ajay. Really, thought they were more mature than that. Especially since I thought Slut_Muffin was a teenager going by their posts.
That doesn't surprise me, to be honest. I recall a few years back before he became a mod here, similar types of comments came from him. It's a shame really. Ajay doesnt seem like that person at all during his animation videos. Oh well.

And precita, people bash Sean endlessly. Yes he could have been more professional but it's natural human reaction to bite back when so many people jump at you for every little thing. So please stop.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: That doesn't surprise me, to be honest. I recall a few years back before he became a mod here, similar types of comments came from him. It's a shame really. Ajay doesnt seem like that person at all during his animation videos. Oh well.

And precita, people bash Sean endlessly. Yes he could have been more professional but it's natural human reaction to bite back when so many people jump at you for every little thing. So please stop.
Could be a case of Ajay knowing when to be professional. Not the first mod to be somewhat two-faced.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: That doesn't surprise me, to be honest. I recall a few years back before he became a mod here, similar types of comments came from him. It's a shame really. Ajay doesnt seem like that person at all during his animation videos. Oh well.

Could be a case of Ajay knowing when to be professional. Not the first mod to be somewhat two-faced.
How do you know that is Ajay? Either way, people often act different on different forums so...eh.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

precita wrote: Either way, people often act different on different forums so...eh.
Well if they do, they shouldn't. Why act like an asshole in one place but try to act like an upstanding member of the community everywhere else? It's just silly.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:29 pm

I'd really rather folks refrain from making bizarre assumptions about me as a person, especially since many of the more specific ones demonstrably don't ring true from even a cursory glance at my posts over the past year. Am I far less patient on reddit than I am on other sites? Sure, a degree of anonymity + no rules is a bad concoction. Have I been immature with people at times over the past few years? Absolutely. That extends to this website, too. Anyone who's been around on this forum for some time will remember how blunt and emotionally-driven I could be back in the day. I like to think I'm very far removed from that on the whole these days, but like anyone, moods change - everyone has their moments. That's a part of my personality, and while I can't say I'm proud of losing my cool, I'm not totally ashamed of it, either. Pretending to be a perfect level-headed robot at all times is an impossible and aimless task. People get under my skin sometimes... I hold my hands up to that. Getting better at managing that, particularly with more eyes on me than ever these days will obviously take time.

I'm not going to address the Schemmel comment in any real way; I think it speaks for itself in context. What's said was said. He made a snide comment to a perfectly level-headed criticism, so I sunk to his level instead of rising above it, and it escalated from there. As has been mentioned: both sides went too far. I admit to that, and considering Schemmel deleted his tweets from last night regarding the situation, it seems like he also realised that, too.

Another mod may nip discussion of this incident in the bud. I'm not going to assert any authority over that - I made my bed - but I will ask again that you keep your comments strictly related to the subject matter, and not try to extrapolate analysis of me as a person from it.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Thanks, all.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Noah wrote:
Slut_Muffin wrote:
Sean Schemmel wrote:I get to do whatever, the licensor, and my director allows me to do. We work hard with very little data to interpret the original source material and preserve it to the best of our ability whilst making it palatable for English speaking audiences.
Yes, you are wrong. You are dubbing an existing show, you don't get 'artistic license'. This isn't the 90s, Mr Hope of the Universe.
Wow, that was quite unnecessary response. I'm not a huge fan of the english dub neither Schemmel, but that was just rude. People should respect his work.
People don't have to respect his work if they don't like it. Respect is earned. If he does a poor job, then he shouldn't expect to be respected as an authority on the subject, especially after being confrontational towards every critic he gets.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Doctor. wrote: People don't have to respect his work if they don't like it. Respect is earned. If he does a poor job, then he shouldn't expect to be respected as an authority on the subject, especially after being confrontational towards every critic he gets.
And it doesn't make you look mature or well informed to mock Sean for a line that he didn't write or when he had much control of the produce. That and the poster was straight-up wrong about a dub not having artist license, which makes it look worse.

There is a different between being bluntly wrong and being a smartass about it, and disagreeing with someone's work. And by that same logic, Sean doesn't have to respect someone on Twitter just because they're fans since they haven't earned his respect.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I think I may have seen that panel on YT not sure but I do remember one where Nozawa was doing a line in Goku's voice and Schemmel was proper geeking out that was pretty hilarious :lol: Might have been the same panel you're talking about.
Yeah, that's the panel. Honestly, anyone who is a fan of Dragon Ball, sub or dub, should watched it.

There is also another panel with several voices from both the sub and dub. It was funny since the voices of Videl both loved the same scene and even voiced it in-character in their respective language. It was also touching since the Japanese actors were talking about how they had this giant family with the voices who play Dragon Ball across the globe. It really highlights how petty the dub vs sub debate is.
I also enjoyed the recent panel at AX with Schemmel, Sabat, Douglas and Horikawa. It's always nice two sides of the same coin when it comes to DB.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm

HeroR wrote:
Doctor. wrote: People don't have to respect his work if they don't like it. Respect is earned. If he does a poor job, then he shouldn't expect to be respected as an authority on the subject, especially after being confrontational towards every critic he gets.
And it doesn't make you look mature or well informed to mock Sean for a line that he didn't write or when he had much control of the produce. That and the poster was straight-up wrong about a dub not having artist license, which makes it look worse.

There is a different between being bluntly wrong and being a smartass about it, and disagreeing with someone's work. And by that same logic, Sean doesn't have to respect someone on Twitter just because they're fans since they haven't earned his respect.
I'm not really defending Ajay's comment nor do I really care. I'm talking about Schemmel's attitude towards the situation, the AMA in general and his overall attitude towards the critics he encounters on social media. He's immature and unprofessional. I don't really care if Schemmel respects his fans or his critics either, but I expect him to have a modicum of professionalism when engaging with the fandom. He doesn't and that response to Lippti's complaint was a perfect representation of him getting unnecessarily confrontational when faced with criticism.