"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote: What does the year have to do with anything, exactly?
Because the dub in terms of writing, acting and production is a million times better now than when DBZ was first dubbed in the U.S. back in 1997.
Just because it's better doesn't mean there aren't flaws. I don't know what the deal is with this anti-detraction attitude that's been developing, but it's backwards and wrong. Why not debate relevant criticisms instead of using buzz-words to write off criticism as a whole?
No, but there are significantly less flaws nowadays than back then to the point that what people now argue about is casting decisions. Also, sometimes translation stuff, especially Goku's lines, but that's usually reserved for specific cases.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Alee9977 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Although I never liked the english dub of Dragon Ball (not because of the voices, just because they add some unnecessary lines all the time, like in Gohan SSJ2 transformation or Goku's goodbye to Buu, also because of the OST) I'm glad that it has finally arrived.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Here's the ADR Approvals credit that I was talking about
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Also, it looks like Toei Animation's president is executive producing the dub with Gen Fukunaga
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This tells me that this is very much the dub Toei will consider "the dub" seeing as they don't seem to have this level of control over Bang Zoom's. It reminds me of how the companies behind Doraemon had control over the dub for the 2005 series and had the dub be the global standard but the UK still had a different dub for certain reasons. Like, I've seen them be very involved in the One Piece dub but in there they only control the final casting decisions and provide the translations because of the simulcast. They don't approve ADR changes or Executive Produce that dub despite being involved in it so it's weird to see them doing it now but this is a big series so they probably want it to launch successfully and as stated before, have the dub be the global standard for the English dub of the show except for the countries that can't get it for whatever reason
I remember something like this happened now with BoG, FnF and Kai 2.0 here in Latam, Masayuki Endo and the president of Toei Latam worked to bring the original cast for both movies and for Kai and they were listed as Executive Producer too, they seem to worry a lot about the dub for Dragon Ball series and I'm glad they give DB that importance. They also worked to bring the original cast for Super although the dub didn't start yet.

I saw the OP of the dub version and I was surprised that it wasn't dubbed, also the same with the ending.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Alee9977 wrote:Although I never liked the english dub of Dragon Ball (not because of the voices, just because they add some unnecessary lines all the time, like in Gohan SSJ2 transformation or Goku's goodbye to Buu, also because of the OST) I'm glad that it has finally arrived.
Just for the Z dub & probably DB, DBGT, & the movies from before Kai. Kai on though, great dubbing.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm

simtek34 wrote:Is it weird that I was more excited for Kai TFC and thought it was better than the Super Dub? Was anybody else?
Nope. Felt the same way, actually.

Besides the green tint, which obviously isn't on FUNi, I had little to no issues with how Episode 1 of TFC was. The voices and dialogue were all on point and it's left me very excited for how the rest of the show plays out.

Super, while still good, felt like it missed the mark from being great. I've already explained how I didn't like the "keep you guys safe" line, although it was a minor complaint I had. I just felt like the delivery and voices of some of the actors, notably Cranz's Chi-Chi and Edwards' Goten, felt very awkward and disjointed. Even Schemmel's Goku, while great, also sounded kinda rusty. Tipton's Trunks performance seemed to slip in and out of trying to imitate Bailey into being its own voice several times, which was kind of jarring. Personally, I hope she commits to the latter. Rager's Mr. Satan, Edwards' Videl, Doc Morgan's narration, Douglas' Beerus, Hebert's Gohan and Sinclair's Whis were all wonderful and I found nothing wrong with their performances.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
simtek34 wrote:Is it weird that I was more excited for Kai TFC and thought it was better than the Super Dub? Was anybody else?
Nope. Felt the same way, actually.

Besides the green tint, which obviously isn't on FUNi, I had little to no issues with how Episode 1 of TFC was. The voices and dialogue were all on point and it's left me very excited for how the rest of the show plays out.

Super, while still good, felt like it missed the mark from being great. I've already explained how I didn't like the "keep you guys safe" line, although it was a minor complaint I had. I just felt like the delivery and voices of some of the actors, notably Cranz's Chi-Chi and Edwards' Goten, felt very awkward and disjointed. Even Schemmel's Goku, while great, also sounded kinda rusty. Tipton's Trunks performance seemed to slip in and out of trying to imitate Bailey into being its own voice several times, which was kind of jarring. Personally, I hope she commits to the latter. Rager's Mr. Satan, Edwards' Videl, Doc Morgan's narration, Douglas' Beerus, Hebert's Gohan and Sinclair's Whis were all wonderful and I found nothing wrong with their performances.
Disjointed is the perfect, all-encompassing word for Episode 1 of the Super dub. I've been trying to articulate for days, and you gave me the perfect word.
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Well Super is a disjonted series. So even though I disagree, it works. I guess?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Well Super is a disjonted series. So even though I disagree, it works. I guess?
The first episode's dub was especially disjointed in its own right, separate from DBS episode 1, which is actually a decent episode.
Retired.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:37 am

To anyone who say my stupid "Official English Dub" thread, I'm so sorry, I didn't notice there was already this one. I'm so ashamed lol.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:01 am

Seen/heard the dub three times now and absolutely no where does it feel "disjointed or rusty" overall everyone sounds great. Edwards isn't being "rusty" she's just doing something different, her Goten sounds just as young as Nozawa makes him, Chichi I guess is the closest to sounding "rusty" even then it's fine since Cranz doesn't look like she's voiced much since BoG, give it a few eps to find her feet.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seen/heard the dub three times now and there's absolutely no place where I think it feels "disjointed or rusty". Overall, everyone sounds great. Edwards isn't being "rusty" she's just doing something different, her Goten sounds just as young as Nozawa makes him, Chichi I guess is the closest to sounding "rusty" even then it's fine since Cranz doesn't look like she's voiced much since BoG, give it a few eps to find her feet.
I don't think Goten sounds bad either. Some people hear a baby, I hear a kid. Sorta. It's a good enough voice. I'd consider it a step up from the old one. As for Cranz, I think she's a bit deeper and, dare I say, a tiny bit weak. But I think the voice itself, and the acting that went along with it, was perfectly fine.

I'm afraid I can't quite understand fully the "disjointed" POV. Maybe Jinzoningen MULE could elaborate a bit?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Noah wrote:
I don't think is that bad Goku expressing in this dub that he trains to protect his loved ones instead of just saying that is because of his fighting boner (may well include both). As a matter of fact I disliked Toriyama reveal that Goku see his family as just friends, so in my headcanon Goku has a bit of heroism and cares much for his family.
Yeah I don't like that reveal either. I'm with you there
Jesus Christ, I just reread that. That's just fucking awful that that's how he sees Goku's character. He clearly doesn't remember that there were spots that Goku showed genuine love for Chi Chi & his sons, plus his adoptive Grandfather, especially after he reread the manga from what I've heard, is just heartbreaking & character damaging.
Like I said though, at least the dub's trying to minimize, or balance out, the damage done with Goku's personality shift to make him a more rounded character. Wonder what that scene where Goku freaked out & beat the shit out of Black Zamasu when he revealed he killed Chi Chi & Goten after he switched their bodies was supposed to mean then. Was it in the manga, or has that yet to be seen? If it was, then Toriyama must've backtracked a bit. If it's not, then that's Toei trying to rerail Goku a bit.
Even though I appreciate what you said mate, could you remember me where exactly did Goku expressed love for Chichi in the original run?
Black_Liger wrote:To anyone who say my stupid "Official English Dub" thread, I'm so sorry, I didn't notice there was already this one. I'm so ashamed lol.
No need to be ashamed, man! Everyone makes mistakes :thumbup:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:25 am

Noah wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yeah I don't like that reveal either. I'm with you there
Jesus Christ, I just reread that. That's just fucking awful that that's how he sees Goku's character. He clearly doesn't remember that there were spots that Goku showed genuine love for Chi Chi & his sons, plus his adoptive Grandfather, especially after he reread the manga from what I've heard, is just heartbreaking & character damaging.
Like I said though, at least the dub's trying to minimize, or balance out, the damage done with Goku's personality shift to make him a more rounded character. Wonder what that scene where Goku freaked out & beat the shit out of Black Zamasu when he revealed he killed Chi Chi & Goten after he switched their bodies was supposed to mean then. Was it in the manga, or has that yet to be seen? If it was, then Toriyama must've backtracked a bit. If it's not, then that's Toei trying to rerail Goku a bit.
Even though I appreciate what you said mate, could you remember me where exactly did Goku expressed love for Chichi in the original run?
Outside of the original Z dub, or maybe it was the dub of the first Budokai game, where he told Gohan, "tell your mother that I love her very much," as I know people in these forums just LOVE dub dialogue changes, he DID tell Gohan to tell her he was sorry he acted so selfishly when he was about to teleport Cell away before he blew up in the original Japanese. That shows she means something to him.
On a more recent example, he beat the shit out of Black when he found out he killed Chi Chi & Goten, but then again, that's not the question.
You have to remember, their relationship is a simple, subtle one & not what the series is focused on, or brings up too often. Plus, Goku's a simpleton who operates on a simple level. He shows his love in his own ways, I'm sure.
Here's the thing, if he didn't love her, why would he stay with her, why would he have 2 kids with her, why would he allow Gohan to study as per her request, & why does he beat the shit out of people who kill her in alternate timelines, or almost destroy the Earth? Sure, he's thinking on a global/cosmic scale when it comes to stopping beings who'll destroy the planet, or the universe, but I'm sure his friends & family are top priority. He just gets a good fight out of defending the Earth, but as we see, when he realizes the Earth is doomed, he knows his friends & family will die. If he didn't, he'd just go off to somewhere else with no regard for them.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seen/heard the dub three times now and there's absolutely no place where I think it feels "disjointed or rusty". Overall, everyone sounds great. Edwards isn't being "rusty" she's just doing something different, her Goten sounds just as young as Nozawa makes him, Chichi I guess is the closest to sounding "rusty" even then it's fine since Cranz doesn't look like she's voiced much since BoG, give it a few eps to find her feet.
I don't think Goten sounds bad either. Some people hear a baby, I hear a kid. Sorta. It's a good enough voice. I'd consider it a step up from the old one. As for Cranz, I think she's a bit deeper and, dare I say, a tiny bit weak. But I think the voice itself, and the acting that went along with it, was perfectly fine.

I'm afraid I can't quite understand fully the "disjointed" POV. Maybe Jinzoningen MULE could elaborate a bit?
In can't speak for JM but since I also found some of Ep 1 to be disjointed, I'll try to elaborate on what I meant.

Sometimes, it doesn't feel like the characters are naturally speaking to the person they're next to. Some of Goten and Trunks' scenes suffered from that, along with Goku and Goten. They felt like they were talking aloud to themselves instead of to the character that shared the scene with them.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:41 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:

In can't speak for JM but since I also found some of Ep 1 to be disjointed, I'll try to elaborate on what I meant.

Sometimes, it doesn't feel like the characters are naturally speaking to the person they're next to. Some of Goten and Trunks' scenes suffered from that, along with Goku and Goten. They felt like they were talking aloud to themselves instead of to the character that shared the scene with them.
I just thought some of the voices were a bit off from how they normally were for whatever reason they were.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 am

Bansho64 wrote:I'm afraid I can't quite understand fully the "disjointed" POV. Maybe Jinzoningen MULE could elaborate a bit?
It sounded like a bunch of VA's were in their own individual closets reading their scripts, which is pretty much what they do. However, in Kai, and to their credit, in the older DB dubs, there was a feeling of genuine interaction between the voices. There was no chemistry between the characters all in episode 1 of the DBS dub. Also, Schemmel's tone seems to have a narrower range than usual, which could be his take on Super's more lighthearted Goku, but it's not working for me. Those are my only problems with the dub so far.

However, I'm not looking forward to next episode, since I know from the Boo Kai trailers that I don't like Sabat's latest take on Vegeta. However, I do look forward to Monica's take on Bulma. Will she use the older, raspy voice that we heard in the Boo Kai trailers? Or will she revert to the voice she used for Kai 1.0?

All of that said, I'm still giving this dub a fair chance. I'll at least wait until the end of the retellings before making my ultimate verdict.

P.S: I don't have a problem with any of the cast changes, or most of the script edits. However, given the current model of the timeline, a few years should have passed between the time when everyone forgets Boo and the beginning of DBS, not a few months. Script changes like that aren't deal-breakers, but they do break the immersion.
Retired.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:I'm afraid I can't quite understand fully the "disjointed" POV. Maybe Jinzoningen MULE could elaborate a bit?
It sounded like a bunch of VA's were in their own individual closets reading their scripts, which is pretty much what they do. However, in Kai, and to their credit, in the older DB dubs, there was a feeling of genuine interaction between the voices. There was no chemistry between the characters all in episode 1 of the DBS dub. Also, Schemmel's tone seems to have a narrower range than usual, which could be his take on Super's more lighthearted Goku, but it's not working for me. Those are my only problems with the dub so far.

However, I'm not looking forward to next episode, since I know from the Boo Kai trailers that I don't like Sabat's latest take on Vegeta. However, I do look forward to Monica's take on Bulma. Will she use the older, raspy voice that we heard in the Boo Kai trailers? Or will she revert to the voice she used for Kai 1.0?

All of that said, I'm still giving this dub a fair chance. I'll at least wait until the end of the retellings before making my ultimate verdict.

P.S: I don't have a problem with any of the cast changes, or most of the script edits. However, given the current model of the timeline, a few years should have passed between the time when everyone forgets Boo and the beginning of DBS, not a few months. Script changes like that aren't deal-breakers, but they do break the immersion.
I think the problem you have is that it's a dub, you were probably expecting it to sound more natural like a normal cartoon but you forgot it was a dub. Your problem probably lays in the fact that Super is a little awkward at the start and you may have just forget about how weird it is in the beginning with all the recent stuff. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to explain why you probably felt this was "disjointed" when it's produced how dubs have been produced for years
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:36 am

Clifford Chapin seems too enthusiastic about playing Cabba for a video game DLC, he has it in his bio and his header image is the U6 poster... Probably been cast already hopefully they're already dubbing, they should be since they started in July. He's pretty perfect casting imo. This probably means that Hit and Frost will likely reprise roles in Super too and I don't have any problem with their casting either. Still though the big one who will play Champa? Hmm.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:08 am

I'd love to see John Swasey play Champa, personally. I really liked his rendition of Crocodile from One Piece.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:06 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I think the problem you have is that it's a dub, you were probably expecting it to sound more natural like a normal cartoon but you forgot it was a dub. Your problem probably lays in the fact that Super is a little awkward at the start and you may have just forget about how weird it is in the beginning with all the recent stuff. Not saying you're wrong, just trying to explain why you probably felt this was "disjointed" when it's produced how dubs have been produced for years
I haven't had any major problems with any other DB dub since 2010. I even like the Boo Kai dub so far. As we know, the dub of Boo Kai was probably being produced between 2014-2015, either something changed in-between those two dubs, or episode 1 was just a bad day.

Either way, don't lump me in with people who hate the dub just for the sake of hating the dub. Not only have I specifically referenced the Kai dub as a model several times in this thread, going so far as to include the dub of Boo Kai, which is being released at the exact same time as Super.
Retired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I just rewatched the first dubbed episode a third time and I honestly think it's fine. The only real problem I had was Chi-Chi's voice but I'll wait and see her work in Buu Kai and the rest of Super to make a final judgement, it may have simply been a bad day. Schemmel did a great job at portraying the childish aspects of Goku, particularly his excitement at Chi-Chi allowing him to go train with King Kai. All the other characters voices worked, in addition to Schemmel, Chris Rager and Jason Douglas were exceptional in their performances. The sound mix was also on point.
It all felt as natural as the dubs have been for the last 7 years. I'm excited for the next episode and seeing Sabat knock it out of the park.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: