Is it ironic the current FUNI/VA dub is well received now?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Is it ironic the current FUNI/VA dub is well received now?

Post by precita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:21 am

I posted this in Super's thread, but I want to hear more opinions on this, particularly now that Super's dub is confirmed:

Man, its so surreal to see hardcore Dragonball fans get excited about a FUNimation dub of the anime. I mean I expect this from casuals who grew up with the dub on Toonami/Cartoon Network, but here on kazenshuu its so weird after the dub and its voice cast was so vehemently hated for years. Even just a few years ago people wouldn't be caught dead saying they like the dub.

Its so funny what a difference a single decade can make. I guess we're not in the early 2000's anymore. How times change.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is it ironic the current FUNI/VA dub is well received now?

Post by email2003 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 am

I couldn't stand hearing the English cast from 12 years ago. But since Kai and the 2 new movies, the voices are way better now!!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:33 am

In no sense of the word is it ironic, but it is gladdening to have decent dubs nowadays.
Retired.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:57 am

Funimation has come a long way since 1999. They went from being on the same level as Saban, 4kids and DIC to a good anime company after 2004 if you ask me. Dragon Ball finally got a serious treatment from them since 2010.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:27 am

It's to the point where I want to experience Super through the dub. While it totally made sense to watch a subbed version of Dragon Ball - GT, the way Super's dub is shaping up, I think that I could just relax my peepers a bit and just watch the series while listening to it in a language that I understand. All respect to the original voice cast, but I don't watch any other anime subbed and I'm glad that Funimation got to the point where I know I'm not missing out on anything but listening only to the dub.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:21 am

I thought it was a pretty popular opinion here that the English dub became good ever since the Kai dub. I'm not excited for the dub because that's the way I want to watch Super, I'm excited because I want to see how certain characters and scenes are handled. I want to see how Schemmel changes his approach on Black and all that type of stuff.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 am

The CURRENT (Caps are for emphasis not yelling) team? That's not ironic at all! They are all very talented and do an amazing job.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:14 am

I don't know if I would say ironic. A lot of the actors were well cast from the beginning (some, but not all of the miscasts were replaced with appropriate choices, most prominently Chris Ayres as Freeza), they were just inexperienced in 1999 and needed experience. If experience was what was needed for the actors to grow into the roles they were given and do it right (as they've done since Kai) I'm glad they had so many years to dub the series.

Accurate scripts were also hard to come by back then, but thankfully they have them now whenever Funimation do dubs.

I couldn't be any more excited for the Super (and of course Buu Kai) dub. If they are as ambitious as they seem it could turn out to be their best dub yet.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:26 am

I don't find it ironic. They are very well received now because of their massive improvement since 1999, and they have earned it. I couldn't be any more excited for the Buu Kai and Super dubs.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Biggest testament to this is Kanzenshuu's podcast review of the last movie. None of the had seen the Japanese version yet were discussing movie proper not just talking specifically about the dub and one of them realised this and said it was great they can finally watch the show in English and know they're getting virtually the same experience.

In regards to Super they're obviously gonna market the show like the old days that can't be helped but it's good to know they're gonna treat the actual show with respect for the source as evident with the likes of Rial returning and presumably Ayres too. Just hope Doc Morgan (I believe that's who it is) will return as the narrator for the series.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:07 pm

I think the reason people are excited for the english dub now is because FUNimation has redeemed themselves with Dragon Ball ever since the Kai dub. I personally thought the Kai dub was pretty good. Not perfect, but much much better than their initial attempts from the late 90s/early 00s with the original DBZ dub. That one was simply terrible. Nostalgic now, but terrible once you take off the nostalgia goggles. The Kai dub was good and these last two new movies were good, so people are expecting the Super dub to be just as good, too.. I know I am. Viewing cast interviews, they have learned from the mistakes of the initial dubs which they're embarrassed of and have tried to fix them with the new dubs.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:12 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I couldn't be any more excited for the Super (and of course Buu Kai) dub. If they are as ambitious as they seem it could turn out to be their best dub yet.
At this rate, Buu Kai dub isn't happening... it's been how many years now since the original Kai was dubbed? And now FUNi has the rights to Super but still no word on Buu Kai.

It's about as likely as the american release of the Movies Dragon Boxes. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:43 pm

What if Super has changed scripts like DBZ?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:48 pm

Daimakku wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I couldn't be any more excited for the Super (and of course Buu Kai) dub. If they are as ambitious as they seem it could turn out to be their best dub yet.
At this rate, Buu Kai dub isn't happening... it's been how many years now since the original Kai was dubbed? And now FUNi has the rights to Super but still no word on Buu Kai.

The Funi Kai Buu saga will more than likely be released once the Cell arc finishes up on Toonami.
precita wrote:What if Super has changed scripts like DBZ?
I'm guessing Funimation will take slight liberties with the script, but otherwise it is highly unlikely the Super scripts will be on the level of accuracy as the original DBZ dub. Funi are not that kind of company anymore.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Daimakku wrote:

The Funi Kai Buu saga will more than likely be released once the Cell arc finishes up on Toonami.
I hope so.. but if this is the case, then why do this? Wouldn't it make more sense to put the Bluray release out and then put it on Toonami? Why the hold up for all these years..

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Daimakku wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Daimakku wrote:

I hope so.. but if this is the case, then why do this? Wouldn't it make more sense to put the Bluray release out and then put it on Toonami? Why the hold up for all these years..
Seen as how TOEI loves TV deals I have a feeling they won't let Funimation release the Blu-Rays until the Buu arc has at least begun airing on Toonami. And this arc probably wasn't announced because Super has taken all the hype. Regardless I'm confident we'll still get it albeit in an unannounced fashion.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:46 pm

They used to release the DVDs and VHS before airing the original Z. For Kai, they definitely had a TV deal first. I hope they get the Blu-rays out soon. I don't even care about Boo Kai at this point -- too little too late. I'm not excited for an updated version of something I've seen a million times over something new. So if they push out Boo Kai after Super, at the same time as Super, or not at all, I really wouldn't mind either way.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:47 pm

precita wrote:What if Super has changed scripts like DBZ?
It won't. The scripts in the old dubs were a product of their time, that's just how things were handled back then. DBS is a product of today, a time where faithful scripts are more important, and it will be handled accordingly.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:02 pm

So I watched bits and pieces of the first episode of Super on FunimationNow. I found one thing pretty interesting and it makes me feel that the dub will be very accurate, but will keep their original names.

It was weird, but they're using "Frieza," "Ox King," and "Beerus." This makes me feel like since they're doing that, their dub will probably be pretty identical to the subtitles -- I mean, otherwise, why use those spellings on there? None of the other series that they have up there use the dub names in their subtitles. And if they do go by the subtitles that are up for Super now, it has to be accurate because that's those are the only subtitles that they're putting up right now, so if they're not as accurate as possible, that would just be strange. Imagine if they put up a Japanese version of Z with the original dub subtitles? That wouldn't make any sense.

If they use the subtitles that they made for Super and just read off of them (making the subtitles universal for both the Japanese and dub versions), that would be great. Then again, they do still include "sama," "san," etc. so obviously they won't dub that in.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:04 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:So I watched bits and pieces of the first episode of Super on FunimationNow. I found one thing pretty interesting and it makes me feel that the dub will be very accurate, but will keep their original names.

It was weird, but they're using "Frieza," "Ox King," and "Beerus." This makes me feel like since they're doing that, their dub will probably be pretty identical to the subtitles -- I mean, otherwise, why use those spellings on there? None of the other series that they have up there use the dub names in their subtitles. And if they do go by the subtitles that are up for Super now, it has to be accurate because that's those are the only subtitles that they're putting up right now, so if they're not as accurate as possible, that would just be strange. Imagine if they put up a Japanese version of Z with the original dub subtitles? That wouldn't make any sense.

If they use the subtitles that they made for Super and just read off of them (making the subtitles universal for both the Japanese and dub versions), that would be great. Then again, they do still include "sama," "san," etc. so obviously they won't dub that in.
The subtitles are done by Toei, anyhow. Unless Funimation's using a different version than the others.
Retired.