"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Bang Zoom Dragon Ball Super Dub

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 am

I think Richard Epcar could play the role of Piccolo pretty well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Richard Epcar could play the role of Piccolo pretty well.
He easily could. I want to give Ray Chase a chance though, he has the potential for something more unique. With Richard Epcar we would pretty much know what to expect.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:42 am

Richard Epcar would make for a fantastic Piccolo, I've often thought he has a devilish quality to his voice which fits the bill of Piccolo's demonic origins perfectly. I think he'd be better than Sabat if given the right direction.

Ray Chase's Piccolo might work if they go in a similar direction to his Arbiter from Killer Instinct. It's basically just a Keith David impersonation but it could work if he lightens it up in certain places. I think speaking in a similar accent would be the best way to differentiate his voice from the versions we have already.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 am

Richard Epcar as Piccolo would be pure awesome, but I'm curious how Chase will do.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 am

NitroEX wrote:Richard Epcar would make for a fantastic Piccolo, I've often thought he has a devilish quality to his voice which fits the bill of Piccolo's demonic origins perfectly. I think he'd be better than Sabat if given the right direction.

Ray Chase's Piccolo might work if they go in a similar direction to his Arbiter from Killer Instinct. It's basically just a Keith David impersonation but it could work if he lightens it up in certain places. I think speaking in a similar accent would be the best way to differentiate his voice from the versions we have already.
He used similar tone for his Justice league dark's jason blood role... Man i am telling you if he uses similar tone on piccolo, No offence to Sabat but this guy might turn out to be my new favorite piccolo VA...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
NitroEX wrote:Richard Epcar would make for a fantastic Piccolo, I've often thought he has a devilish quality to his voice which fits the bill of Piccolo's demonic origins perfectly. I think he'd be better than Sabat if given the right direction.

He used similar tone for his Justice league dark's jason blood role... Man i am telling you if he uses similar tone on piccolo, No offence to Sabat but this guy might turn out to be my new favorite piccolo VA...
I'm interested to hear Chase's take, but none of Piccolo's dub actors thus far can top Scott McNeil. I still wish he could have another shot at the character (Ocean Kai may have been just that but sadly it seems we'd need a miracle for that dub to ever come out). Sabat's Piccolo in Kai and the new movies would be a close second as its a phenomenal performance in its own right.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:

I'm interested to hear Chase's take, but none of Piccolo's dub actors thus far can top Scott McNeil. I still wish he could have another shot at the character (Ocean Kai may have been just that but sadly it seems we'd need a miracle for that dub to ever come out). Sabat's Piccolo in Kai and the new movies would be a close second as its a phenomenal performance in its own right.
Sabat actually wanted McNeil to voice Piccolo in Funi Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sabat actually wanted McNeil to voice Piccolo in Funi Kai.
Where have you got that information from? He could've might as well wanted Drummond to voice Vegeta then.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:31 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sabat actually wanted McNeil to voice Piccolo in Funi Kai.
Allegedly. Although there's very little evidence of a direct statement where he said that, I certainly couldn't find one. Either way, it's not wise to take everything that these actors say at face value as most of the time they'll state things publicly just to virtue signal and improve their public perception amongst fans.

If guys like Chris Rager and Sean Schemmel are occasionally expressing resentment and being passive aggressive towards other actors who've played "their" roles then it isn't out of the question to think that others within the Funimation camp would also feel the same way. I would think that Sabat would likely also be very protective of his DBZ roles, especially after playing them for so long. Yes, they are a lot of work for him and he's probably straining his voice more than he needs to by doing them however, they're also probably big money makers for him and at the end of the day that's what these actors want to do. Make a living. If Sabat wants to keep these roles all he has to do is point to the Toonami/casual audience who will always be in his corner. Funimation are probably also much happier paying one actor to play Piccolo & Vegeta versus two equally talented, but equally expensive actors who might just ruffle some feathers amongst their nostalgia driven target audience.

But hey, if Sabat was being genuine when he said that then realistically it still wouldn't have been a possibility anyway. Not only was Scott working in another country and likely very busy with other work commitments (being an acclaimed voice actor in Vancouver, Canada) but he had also just been brought back to play Piccolo in Ocean's Kai dub around that same time. There's no way he would have turned his back on his local studio just to dub the same exact show in Texas, which doesn't have a union and would probably pay him less than what he'd make from Ocean.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:46 am

I mean I get the absurdity of McNeil having to dub Kai twice in two studios that are over 2,000 miles apart but if Ocean recorded uncut dialogue with McNeil Funimation could theoretically have ported over the audio of Piccolo in Ocean Kai to their own dub.

It probably didn't happen because doing so would have meant promoting a dub that isn't their own but if Sabat really wanted McNeil in Funi Kai that would have been the ideal, cost-effective solution.

I hope Geekdom101 is reading this, he hopes to get another interview with Sabat on his channel this year, the McNeil in Funi Kai rumour would be a great question to address.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:42 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I mean I get the absurdity of McNeil having to dub Kai twice in two studios that are over 2,000 miles apart but if Ocean recorded uncut dialogue with McNeil Funimation could theoretically have ported over the audio of Piccolo in Ocean Kai to their own dub.
Doing something like that would probably violate Ocean's contract with their client. In the past they didn't choose to copy and paste audio from the Saban version of Tree of might when it came time to make an uncut version of the same film for Pioneer, instead they redubbed the entire thing from scratch. This was probably done for good reason and I'm willing to bet it was because the companies in charge who pay for the dub want full ownership of everything, including all audio on the voice track.

Aside from potential legal complications, Having McNeil's performance in another dub would only serve to water down the bargaining power of the Ocean Kai dub. Imagine a company pitching that version to television networks by saying "well we've got a fantastic cast of actors including ... Scott McNeil, who voices Piccolo in this dub", they would be unimpressed as the Funimation's dub would offer the same exact thing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:17 am

NitroEX wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I mean I get the absurdity of McNeil having to dub Kai twice in two studios that are over 2,000 miles apart but if Ocean recorded uncut dialogue with McNeil Funimation could theoretically have ported over the audio of Piccolo in Ocean Kai to their own dub.
Doing something like that would probably violate Ocean's contract with their client. In the past they didn't choose to copy and paste audio from the Saban version of Tree of might when it came time to make an uncut version of the same film for Pioneer, instead they redubbed the entire thing from scratch. This was probably done for good reason and I'm willing to bet it was because the companies in charge who pay for the dub want full ownership of everything, including all audio on the voice track.

Aside from potential legal complications, Having McNeil's performance in another dub would only serve to water down the bargaining power of the Ocean Kai dub. Imagine a company pitching that version to television networks by saying "well we've got a fantastic cast of actors including ... Scott McNeil, who voices Piccolo in this dub", they would be unimpressed as the Funimation's dub would offer the same exact thing.
Fair enough, hadn't considered all of that but it does make sense. Its still a shame the uniqueness of having iconic Vancouver actors seemingly hasn't convinced any Canadian TV networks to buy the dub, but I'll leave it there because I don't want to carry this topic any further away from the Bang Zoom dub of Super.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the dub when someone gets a chance to record it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 am

The dub of episode 1 will finishing airing 3am UK time, hope to wake up to a surprise! (Probably not though).

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:54 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The dub of episode 1 will finishing airing 3am UK time, hope to wake up to a surprise! (Probably not though).
I am hoping someone will record it too (i want to see it as soon as possible lol), either way you will get to watch at least one episode on sunday that's for sure!!! Again I hope someone would post both episodes online, i want to listen kaiji tang's performance as vegeta at any cost this week!!!

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:35 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The dub of episode 1 will finishing airing 3am UK time, hope to wake up to a surprise! (Probably not though).
I am hoping someone will record it too (i want to see it as soon as possible lol), either way you will get to watch at least one episode on sunday that's for sure!!! Again I hope someone would post both episodes online, i want to listen kaiji tang's performance as vegeta at any cost this week!!!
Isn't that Toon Anime India page posting it?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:56 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:
Isn't that Toon Anime India page posting it?
Yeah same, they said they would record and post even if it's already posted by someone else online... So you'll get to watch atleast 1 episode no matter what...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Even if I think Lang isn't the best choice for Goku, and would have preferred Sinterniklaas to voice him, I'm willing to give him a chance if that clip wasn't the best in acting quality.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Even if I think Lang isn't the best choice for Goku, and would have preferred Sinterniklaas to voice him, I'm willing to give him a chance if that clip wasn't the best in acting quality.
I know for fact that lang would make a great goku because he faced criticism pretty boldly, I mean which actor would come out and face fans negativity unless he has confidence in himself... Sure it would be different but performance wise he wouldn't cut any corners!!!

What i am little worried about is beerus, he sounded little too stiff in preview!!! I hope i am proved wrong in actual premier though... He has little appearance in episode 1 right?

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Ok toonami asia is absolutely has the worst marketing team ever!!! They are still uploading 2 year old yo-kai watch clips and not dragon ball super even if today is supposed to be its big tv premier...don't expect you will get to watch at least some some sample clips officially lol, These guys aren't gonna upload none!!!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:01 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Even if I think Lang isn't the best choice for Goku, and would have preferred Sinterniklaas to voice him, I'm willing to give him a chance if that clip wasn't the best in acting quality.
I know for fact that lang would make a great goku because he faced criticism pretty boldly, I mean which actor would come out and face fans negativity unless he has confidence in himself... Sure it would be different but performance wise he wouldn't cut any corners!!!

What i am little worried about is beerus, he sounded little too stiff in preview!!! I hope i am proved wrong in actual premier though... He has little appearance in episode 1 right?[/quote]
Haven't rewatched the episode, but I don't think he appears.