How would you rewrite Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ExtremeJiangBr

How would you rewrite Dragon Ball Super?

Post by ExtremeJiangBr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:47 am

I love DBS, but it has many problems, and i want you to comment how would you rewrite DBS
Well, i don't want to make it sound like a fanfic with goku turning ssj4 rainbow broly mode, so i won't change much, i will just expand some things and add some details
So, i would let vegeta turn into a ssj3, but i don't it to seem so fast, cause it would seem like a fanservice, he would train by some episodes, almost turning into a ssj3, but just in the "bulma scene" he would transform
And i would elaborate the ssj god concept, not just a ritual, and i would make beerus destroy the Earth, so goku could go all out against him, but whis would rewind time, why? cause i would skip the golden frieza arc, there's nothing so good in it, i would've miss the vegeta vs frieza scene, only this
I would expand the goku and vegeta training, it was funny, and was good to see they doing something like "rival friends!
I wouldn't change much about the champa arc, i like the wish they made but, it didn't change much at all, what i would like to see is gohan (somehow) wishing android 16 back to "life"
the black arc is already complicated and good, but i would expand more, the mistery was good but the conclusion was "meh" he was zamasu from a timeline no one could even imagine, so, i would make black be someone else, (fanfic mode) - a makaioshin get out of the makai realm (or whatever is the name of it) and pretends to be a kaioshin, zamasu and this makaioshin fuse together, and this "zakai" tries to kill goku but they fail, so they change bodies with him, go the the trunks timeline etc
goku beerus and zamasu go to the universe 10 realm, and they don't know if black is zamasu or the makaioshin, so, when black explains to us, we would explode cause he wasn't zamasu neither makaioshin, but the 2 together, and the makaioshin wanted to get revenge from the "makaioshin god/devil! for some reason, so he wanted to use zamasu's power, but when they fused zamasu was controlling the body, so the makaioshin is really an idiot (fanficmode off) that's all, yeah, i love to write long stuff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: How would you rewrite Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:06 am

Damn, that is really loaded question. Lets see:
- Add a slice of life episode featuring 17 (and his family) with Krillin, 18 and Marron. And a filler episode based around Lunch and Tien.
- Have Vegeta turn SSJ3 when Beerus slaps Bulma
- Scrap the Namekian Book Of Legends nonsense, unless that plan is that will lead to Piccolo getting a power up from it (A point I will refer to later)
- Scrap the bullshit 10% line Beerus gave
- Vegeta does the Super Saiyan God ritual after Battle Of Gods arc ends
- Explain how God ki works when Goku and Vegeta train with Whis (I can't stress this enough. Half of the issues I have with Super are tied to this. And the power scaling became an almighty mess because of the lack of explanation for this).
- Freeza destroys Namek and the Namekian Dragon Balls before arriving to Earth in the Resurrection F arc
- Have Freeza train for more than four months and train with Tagoma and Shisami, leading them to becoming much more powerful
- Gohan doesn't lose his Ultimate Power-Up/Form
- None of the Ginyu(Frog) swapping bodies with Tagoma bollocks happens, as it adds nothing to the story and is anticlimactic as hell
- Tagoma lives and is killed by Gohan and Shisami is taken down by Piccolo in hard battles
- 17, 18 and Yamcha join in fighting Freeza's army
- The whole "Krillin needs confidence to defeat Freeza's mooks" bullshit angle never happens
- Goku actually dies from the Sorbet's Laser Ring.
- When Whis rewinds time, change it so that he can't rewind the moments of Goku's death and have a team attack from Ultimate Gohan, 17, 18, Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo killing Final Form Freeza
- Have Goku's death lead up to the cast needing find a way to bring him back to life as Namek is gone and Goku was already brought back to life with Shenron once. This can wonderfully lead into the introduction of the Super Dragon Balls which the cast will need to bring him back to life. This will make the Universe 6/7 Tournament feel like it has more stakes and meaning.
- Have Gohan train with Whis (To learn how to tap into God Ki) and King Kai (To learn the Kaioken)
- If the Namekian Book Of Legends is going to be a plot point, use for the means of Piccolo discoviering an acient Namekia method of him becoming stronger. You can even throw in a new outfit as a bonus.
- Each Universe 6 fighter has episode dedicated them for building up their character and learn more about their background
- Swap in Gohan for Goku's place for the Universe 6/7 Tournament, thereby making him more relevant to the story. And have everything pan in the tournament as it did in the anime/manga, concluding with the cast using the Super Dragon Balls to revive Goku.
- The stupid Copy Vegeta/Monaka arc never happens
- Scrap the whole Time Paradox bullshit that plagued the narrative of the Future Trunks arc
- Give Future Trunks SSJ3 because I can't stand the idea that SSJ2 Future Trunks can given SSJ3 Goku a run for his money
- Have the Mafuba actually seal Future Zamasu leading to Goku Black to break the Mafuba Jar and release him
- Have Future Trunks train with Whis so that his Rage Transformation has more of basis for existing
- Merged Zamasu take no damage from anyone until he battles SSJB Vegetto
- The SSJB Vegetto/Merged Zamasu fight lasts 10 more minutes
- Have Goku gather the energy for Genki Dama and then channels the energy into Future Trunks' sword as he uses it to kill Merged Zamasu, just like the original story.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 am

[spoiler]
Lord Beerus wrote:Damn, that is really loaded question. Lets see:
- Add a slice of life episode featuring 17 (and his family) with Krillin, 18 and Marron. And a filler episode based around Lunch and Tien.
- Scrap the Namekian Book Of Legends nonsense, unless that plan is that will lead to Piccolo getting a power up from it (A point I will refer to later)
- Explain how God ki works when Goku and Vegeta train with Whis (I can't stress this enough. Half of the issues I have with Super are tied to this. And the power scaling became an almighty mess because of the lack of explanation for this).
- Freeza destroys Namek and the Namekian Dragon Balls before arriving to Earth in the Resurrection F arc
- Have Freeza train for more than four months and train with Tagoma and Shisami, leading them to becoming much more powerful
- None of the Ginyu(Frog) swapping bodies with Tagoma bollocks happens, as it adds nothing to the story and is anticlimactic as hell
- Tagoma lives and is killed by Gohan and Shisami is taken down by Piccolo in hard battles
- The whole "Krillin needs confidence to defeat Freeza's mooks" bullshit angle never happens
- When Whis rewinds time, change it so that he can't rewind the moments of Goku's death and have a team attack from Ultimate Gohan, 17, 18, Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo killing Final Form Freeza
- Have Goku's death lead up to the cast needing find a way to bring him back to life as Namek is gone and Goku was already brought back to life with Shenron once. This can wonderfully lead into the introduction of the Super Dragon Balls which the cast will need to bring him back to life. This will make the Universe 6/7 Tournament feel like it has more stakes and meaning.
- Have Gohan train with Whis (To learn how to tap into God Ki) and King Kai (To learn the Kaioken)
- If the Namekian Book Of Legends is going to be a plot point, use for the means of Piccolo discoviering an acient Namekia method of him becoming stronger. You can even throw in a new outfit as a bonus.
- Each Universe 6 fighter has episode dedicated them for building up their character and learn more about their background
- Swap in Gohan for Goku's place for the Universe 6/7 Tournament, thereby making him more relevant to the story. And have everything pan in the tournament as it did in the anime/manga, concluding with the cast using the Super Dragon Balls to revive Goku.
- Scrap the whole Time Paradox bullshit that plagued the narrative of the Future Trunks arc
- Give Future Trunks SSJ3 because I can't stand the idea that SSJ2 Future Trunks can given SSJ3 Goku a run for his money
- Have the Mafuba actually seal Future Zamasu leading to Goku Black to break the Mafuba Jar and release him
- Have Future Trunks train with Whis so that his Rage Transformation has more of basis for existing
- Have Goku gather the energy for Genki Dama and then channels the energy into Future Trunks' sword as he uses it to kill Merged Zamasu, just like the original story.
[/spoiler]

Out of curiosity, do you like Super?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 am

PelicanDynasty wrote:[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Yeah, I like it. I actually like it a lot. But it has many rough edges that could being smoothed over and ironed out to make it more pleasurable experience.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 am

[/spoiler]

Lmao. I actually spat my drink out after reading these 2 posts in succession

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
[/spoiler]

Yeah, I like it. I actually like it a lot. But it has many rough edges that could being smoothed over and ironed out to make it more pleasurable experience.

Ah okay. I haven't actually watched it yet (about to start) so I was just wondering if all the little stuff adds up to ruining the show or not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:16 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ah okay. I haven't actually watched it yet (about to start) so I was just wondering if all the little stuff adds up to ruining the show or not.
Depends of your perspective. If you haven't watched the movies Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F, then the movie re-tellings are at the very least a serviceable way to getting into the show before the actual "new" content is introduced.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:49 pm

[*]Vegeta turns SSJ3 against Beerus
[*]Freeza's "training" is his mutated cells being manipulated through experiments on his home planet
[*]All Z Senshi fight Freeza's army, Ginyu does not come back
[*]Gohan and Piccolo have a 2 VS 2 match against Tagoma and Shisami; they fight really well but Gohan is not as skilled through lack of training, still they win
[*]Low-Form Freeza fights Gohan who goes from Ultimate to Super Saiyajin as that form is stronger by now, Freeza transforms into his true form and one-shots Gohan
[*]Sorbet tries to shoot at Goku just so Goku can block it, not realizing that Freeza stabs his chest with his hand
[*]Freeza destroys the Earth but Whis does not rewind time, he sees it as a good lecture for Goku and says he should continue training
[*]Freeza terrorizes the universe meanwhile, he finds New Namek and wants to wish for immortality
[*]Goku and Vegeta interfere and beat him
[*]Massive improvement of the first 4 rounds in the tournament
[*]Flesh out the combo of bootstrap-alternate timeline-timering-paradox more
[*]Make Black and Zamasu a team but eventually no longer rely on each other because their ego-centric means that they really only love their individual self; so while they can colaborate for a while through both being Zamasus, each Zamasu really loves only the one and only person he himself is
[*]They fuse by accident which is literally the worst that could happen for them
[*]The result is the most narcissistic person ever, the newborn god, Neo Zamasu, who, through his corrupted Kaioushin power is more connected to nature than ever, basically transcending to the universal state that we see in the final episode but still being able to manifest in that one form; no one can actually harm him though Vegetto is somewhat good against him
[*]Trunks is able to destroy the body but it does not matter because of Neo Zamasu's transcendence, only Zenou can disconnect this supernatural bond
[*]Trunks time is wished to be fine again, somewhat
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 am

there are only 3 things in super that I would improve to make it great.

Preproduction.
Super was rushed and this is best displayed in the animation and the direction aspect of the show. They should have taken the entire 2015 to iron out the details and plans then release the series this year in January.

Logic
Super is entertaining. Super is funny. Super is illogical. Things don't male sense that could easily make sense. Things aren't explained that could easily be explained. Just have things make sense.

Movies
Super should never have touched the movies mostly because it could never be as technically good even if it was better written. The time and energy spent on those arcs should have been placed on new content.

The rest can stay the same with these things added.

all in all though, super is what it is, we will probably look at this like the star wars prequels but hey at least it's new dragon Ball and it opens the door for maybe a third sequel that will be the dragon Ball a majority of fans will love.

s-shield

Post by s-shield » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Wow, get out of my head. That is eerily similar to my own personal rewrites for the series.

To that, I would add this: Instead of a time-limit on the Potara earrings, I would have said that Vegito was simply too strong for the Potara to handle. So you have him powering up his final attack, or maybe even getting ready to transform into a new form (Super Saiyan Blue 3, perhaps?) when Gowasu notices the earrings starting to crack. He realizes that no Kaioshin was ever this strong and they cannot contain this much power. He shouts a warning but it's too late, they shatter right at the critical moment and Vegito defuses.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:19 pm

I wanted to make a post about something similar but I would have loved if Super's 1st episode included Zamasu appearing out of nowhere after taking Goku's body and kills Goku (in Zamasu's body), Goten and Chichi. That would have been messed up yet, fantastic.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

s-shield

Post by s-shield » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:33 pm

If I were to rewrite Super, I would have two main sticking points.

1) Remove the "rehash" arcs. Freeza and Future Trunks are fun and popular characters, but their stories are pretty much rehashes of stuff they've already done. Don't bring Freeza back at all. And if you do bring Trunks back, don't have it be because there is some unstoppable foe in the future he can't deal with. Already seen that. Move his story forward. I would have rather seen a leveled up Time Patroller Trunks who solves problems all over the Multiverse, if we had to see Future Trunks at all.

2) Set it after End of Z. I like the idea that Goku spent the ten years waiting for Uub to grow up bored out of his mind, and that meeting Uub relit a fire in him. Setting Super beforehand shoots that plot point down and forever keeps the series trapped in a limbo where it is both sequel and prequel. It's not as good as the original AND you know no one is going to die (for long). At this point, it still just feels like a side-story, like the Tarble anime.

So for me, it would basically be Battle of Gods, Universe 6 Tournament, and probably this upcoming Universe Survival Arc.

If I were to do a Radical Rewrite, it would probably be something like...

Beerus comes to Earth, Goku becomes a God, loses the fight and Beerus actually destroys the Earth. The survivors go to Namek to use their DBs to restore Earth, but Porunga says he can't help, once the God of Destruction destroys a Planet, it stays gone. Whis (being all enigmatic) shows up and suggests they go find a more powerful Dragon, i.e. the Original. There are only 7 Universes in the Multiverse, and each one has a Super DragonBall. The survivors have to go to each Universe to find their DB, fighting the powerful people that protect them, collect them all, etc. Maybe Time/Multiverse Patroller Trunks is the one who takes them to each world in his souped-up Time Ship.

Whatever the case, I would try to return that sense of urgency and stakes to the series, instead of general sitcom/sparring matches it's been for the majority of the time. But that's just me, lol.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:23 pm

As I write this before the "Universal Survival Arc" begins...
1) Battle of Gods arc
*Get rid of any mention of Super Saiyan God and the Pilaf Gang
*Let the story focus of Beerus being curious about who defeated Majin Buu and giving Goku the opportunity to fight him.
*As lame as it sounds, I prefer that Goku wishes to have God-ki and use it to transform into an actual "Super Saiyan God" that looks like Super Saiyan Blue, instead of using the whole Five Saiyans stupidity. I would also like to add some line about how the color Blue is the "color of the gods" and Goku's appearance is a Saiyan manifestation of it.
*Make everyone look reasonably older...

2) Resurrection F arc
DOES NOT EXIST. PERIOD!

3) Future Trunks arc
*Ugh... If we are going to have him back, then I can see one of two ways it can be done.
3a. If Goku Black is going to be involved, then let him be some kind of possessed evil version of Future Goku that was wished back by Future Zamasu after he visits the afterlife and learned about who Future Goku was. Details about how it came about can be added later without some time-loop. Let Gowasu's potara earrings have a temporary fusion ability that is unique to Universe 10. I'm okay with Trunks killing Merged Zamasu but Goku should be given a scene where he collects whatever energy remains and transfer it to Trunks's sword.
3b. OR... just let the story revolve around Future Zamasu. Simplify it to make it more coherent.

There is probably more but it's all just a general idea of changes.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:34 pm

I usually find threads like this pointless, as there are any number of degrees to which you could propose changing the material, and you don't want to get too far away from the original vision, but in Super's case, I think there are a number of really simple, cut-and-dried improvements that could be made. Ex.:

- Just cut the movie adaptation arcs, as in an ideal world that time would have gone toward pre-production. At the very least, shorten them. Don't omit material that was important in the movies (Pilaf gang in Battle of Gods), and take advantage of the added episode count for more meaningful or fun additions.

- Clarify Goku and Vegeta's new tier of power to at least some vague degree. Not for power-level minutia, but so we can understand the scope of the action in the same way post-Freeza manga arcs allowed for (once visual capacity to display increasingly large-scale powers tapped out), and to make clearer the relative standings of different characters in the Universe 6 tournament, for example, which impacts tension and drama. The manga presents a pretty reasonable take that can still be mined for good action.

- Be a bit clearer with the time-travel mechanics in the Future Trunks arc. The only major offenders here are Black implying he'd fought Goku and attributing the new timeline split to Beerus' murder of Zamasu, rather than Trunks' arrival. Easily cleaned up.

- Write fewer gags at Goku/other characters' expenses, as their frequency and structure don't mesh with the way the series has ever been written previously. You could literally comb through each script for small beats along these lines that would be better taken out or rewritten.

- Nearly every good joke could afford to have one or two lines of dialogue cut from it at a minimum. Super's scripts love to run gags into the ground.

- Remove that truly abominable Copy-Vegeta filler arc.

There are a handful of more major plot elements I'm a bit baffled by, such as the convenience of the final Super Dragon Ball's location, or letting the climax of the Trunks arc come down to a forgotten Mafuba seal when Black could easily have freed Zamasu to remove culpability from the main cast, but c'est la vie. Those are things that don't seem worth getting into, when in so many ways Super could be drastically improved by slightly editing its episodic writing.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm

BoG arc
- Have an episode dedicated to the Krillin household INCLUDING 17. This may happen in the upcoming arc.
- Shorten the damn fight between Goku and Beerus. It felt too long and slow paced for such a dangerous battle.
- All the Saiyans involved in the ritual get a taste of the God ki. Would explain how Vegeta learnt to master it.

RoF
- Have King Cold revived and train a bit too.
- Frieza's army should have included some Saibamen. Wasn't the whole point of them being cheap soldiers that could be manufactured? If Frieza's army is struggling that much why not MAKE an army?
- On that note; bring Yamcha. Like Krillin have him suffer from crippling fear at the sight of his murderer. To Yamcha's surprise he easily knocks their heads off with a punch, and in doing so regains his confidence as a fighter. Would be a nice character arc moment.
- Have Krillin be terrified, but have it specifically of Frieza. The mooks don't frighten him, but his fear of Frieza is real. I'd probably have Frieza send out Sashimi to torture Krillin, but even with his new and improved tougher body, Sashimi's attacks are slow mo compared to Beerus and SSG Goku, both of whom Krillin has seen up close. He easily avoids all of Sashimi's attacks.
- On that note, have Piccolo and Tagoma not so ridiculously mismatched, whilst Gohan fends off Frieza. Tenshinhan and Yamcha can team up with Krillin to fight Sashimi and overcome him between the three of them.
- Piccolo fights Tagoma to an almost defeat whilst King Kold muses he may need to get involved at this rate. Ginyu shows up and takes over Tagoma's body and uses it to it's maximum potential, stealing a senzu off of a surpised Krillin, sucker punching him in the process. Yamcha and Tenshinhan are also knocked flying.
- Gohan doesn't lose his ability to go SSJ2 for no reason and manages to keep first form Frieza on his toes for a short while. I wouldn't make first form Frieza that much more ridiculously powerful than the rest. There's no need for it. Frieza spouts off about how Gohan will suffer for his father's sins.
- Have Tagoma Ginyu knock the socks off of a worn out Piccolo, and Gohan get distracted by his defeat. Frieza knocks him down and King Kold fires a blast at him too, knocking Gohan into a crater.
- The Z fighters are now defeated without any of them looking particularly awful(each managed to basically, and Frieza begins torturing the felled Gohan to get him to call for his father.
- Goku and Vegeta come to Earth in the same way they did in RoF. Have Goku knock Frieza off his son. Stops Goku looking like he doesn't care about his family.
- Vegeta and Goku rock paper scissors to see who gets to fight Frieza, and who takes on Kold.
- Vegeta loses and faces off with Kold. He tells Goku that he'll defeat both of them. Kold does some impressive looking attacks, but Vegeta withstands them, before smacking him around as a regular Super Saiyan.
- Other Z fighters recover and finish off the last of the mooks, before facing off against Tagoma-Ginyu. Six on one, Tagoma-Ginyu gets overpowered. He realises this body isn't strong enough and tries to Change bodies with Gohan, having seen him taking on Frieza briefly. Vegeta throws King Kold into the way of the beam, Ginyu body swaps with him, and Vegeta blows up Kold's body.
- Piccolo goes in to OHKO Tagoma-Kold(who unlike Ginyu is not used to have other bodies to adapt to and thus weaker than regular Tagoma) but Vegeta orders him to move aside as Kold was his opponent. Piccolo argues that Tagoma was his enemy and thus he should finish him off. They bicker for a bit comically. Before Vegeta suggests they settle it with rock paper scissors. Piccolo lets Vegeta do it since he has no intention of doing such a silly thing.
- Goku Vs. Frieza takes place as we saw in RoF with everyone now watching and Frieza only mildly amused that even his father was killed. Rest of the fight happens as before after Frieza transforms into Golden Frieza.
- Frieza blows up the planet killing himself in the process. Whis does not reverse time but he does save everyone including Vegeta. Piccolo also doesn't die. Earth's survivors: Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Roshi, Bulma, Jaco, Beerus, Whis.
- Earth now destroyed, and with Goku unable to locate New Namek, the group hear of the Super Dragonballs which could restore the planet from Beerus. His brother, Champa has challenged him to a tournament...

Universe Tournament arc
- The Tournament now has actual stakes. The remaining fighters want to restore their deceased love ones and their planet and with no other choice, enter the tournament.
- Buu being dead from the planet's explosion(if he is indeed dead...his regeneration is a difficult one to pin down) doesn't enter. However this isn't really a change since Buu didn't get to fight anyway.
- U7's team is Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin. With Videl, Pan and Satan dead, Gohan wishes to enter the tournament, and Krillin likewise for his family. The other humans also want to enter for the sake of their loved ones, but realise their best chances are with the saiyans, Piccolo and the 'strongest human'.
- The fights would probably go much the same way, except I sure as hell wouldn't let Vegeta win 3/5 fights. His battle with Cabba is the one that matters most, whilst everyone is more hostile towards Frost due to his similarities to Frieza and hence why they're all there in the first place. Botamo would probably fight either Gohan or Krillin. Let them overcome his hax ability.
- Speaking of; I wouldn't make Frost a cheating villain. He'd be a bit more interesting as someone who wasn't sinister, but simply pragmatic in a fight.
- Give all the U6 fighters motivations about why they want to fight for Champa and Vados.
- Final battle is Goku Vs. Hit. Goku wins due to Hit not being allowed to kill him in the fight. Goku comments that it was incredibly close and they only just made it.
- No Monaka because frankly Monaka is a pointless character. If Goku needs motivation to get stronger there's Hit, Beerus and Whis. Also Beerus wasting a slot on someone who is probably weaker than even Roshi for the sake of motivation would make him seem heartless towards the planet whose food he loves.
- Earth is restored, big reunion with the survivors revived loved ones. Spend time with each in order to get the feels in there.

Goku Black/Zamasu/Future Trunks arc
- More focus on Gohan and Trunks. Don't have Gohan not even wonder why Trunks is there. What the hell man?
- The events with present Zamasu remain the same.
- Have Future Zamasu still struggle rather with his feelings about mortals. Black can be the one who pushes him over, but the two ought to behave slightly differently despite being the same person.
- Don't have Future Yajirobe. We saw him die in the original Future Androids timeline. Roshi meanwhile wasn't dead. Have him instead rather than retconning. Makes little difference, but it's a pet peeve.
- Have Future Shuu and Pilaf as allies to the future gang. Doesn't make much difference, just swap out the generic soldier men for those two. Mai can still be the super competent one.
- Goku doesn't forget everything repeatedly. Have Black steal the senzus from him instead and make Goku and Vegeta retreat ONLY ONCE back to the present.
- Black and Zamasu don't merge and Vegetto doesn't appear. Instead have Zamasu reconsider his position on humans upon seeing someone like Eighter(who is still alive) try to protect the the injured.
- Black and Zamasu turn on one another as Black has become overtaken by Goku's saiyan genes telling him to cause mass chaos, and Zamasu is a God who wants to protect and fulfill justice.
- Have Black be the one to seal Zamasu away. With the Senzus he stole earlier he plans to use Goku, Vegeta and Trunks to gain an insane amount of Zenkai boosts.
- Supreme Kai and Gowasu try to free the trapped Zamasu whilst the Saiyans fight. Eventually they free Zamasu who blocks a sure kill move upon the heroes.
- Trunks still slices Black in two with a spirit sword. Honestly I liked this. Goku comments on how painful that was to watch. Vegeta is proud of his boy. Zamasu is torn still but becomes present Gowasu's apprentice who hopes to help him through this. Zamasu agrees to keep an open mind about mortals but won't tolerate their destruction if they go too far. Trunks promises to use his power only to protect the planet.
- No downer ending. Black dies and tries to destroy the future afterlife, but gets a beat down by Future Goku, Future Gohan and Future Vegeta who are chilling in the afterworld. Black is tormented; even in death he cannot be free of mortals tormenting him.

Wow, I didn't realise I wanted so many changes when I started this. BoG despite being one of my least favourite arcs(great movie though) was the one I was most pleased with.
I guess I just want a lot of fanservice and stakes. Despite that I genuinely enjoy Super, I just think I'd tweak it in certain areas.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 am

In My humble opinion, the only reason why there's more complaining than usual about Super is because we had to suffer through drawn out plots of the movies. I would have one to two episodes recapping the movies for the casual viewers to get up to speed, then the first two slice of life episodes after that, then go straight into the U6 tournament, while allowing Buu to fight. Then more slice of life episodes including the Jelly Arc, then go to Black, the Mafuba wouldn't be used until after Zamasu ascends to a higher plane of existence. Then more slice of life until this upcoming arc. That's about it I suppose

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I wouldn't rewrite Super as I consider it quite good, but I would change some things here and there:

BoG:

- Remove any mentions of Beerus using percentages of his power, just have him state at the end of the fight that he didn't even fight seriously
- Gohan tries to fire ki blasts at Beerus before getting knocked out
- Explain as soon as possible why Pilaf and his gang are kids
- Gotenks turns SSJ3 when going against Beerus
- Keep the line from BoG where Goku states his distaste for powering up through the help of the others

RoF:

- Freezer's arc doesn't last as long as it did. Honestly 4 episodes would be fine and events would play EXACTLY like in the movie, but it is stated Goku used God Ki in his base when fighting final form Freezer, and the scene where Freezer destroyed Earth and when Vegeta beats him up play out like the anime. I would keep Goku and Vegeta's training the same as in the anime and Goku going back to his base before being shot by Sorbet

U6 vs U7:

- Goku and Vegeta's training for the tournament actually lasts an entire episode
- Vegeta's beard is not the same as Goku's but actually more like his father's (not an important bit)
- Cabba isn’t asked by Champa if he knows about Super Saiyan. Not huge but would have made Vegeta vs Cabba less predictable
- Vegeta vs Hit is longer
- Audience comments that they cannot sense Goku’s ki when in base against Hit
- Beerus isn’t afraid of Kaio-Ken x10 Goku, but still says it’s an useful technique

Black Arc:

- Trunks is only able to turn SSJ against Black as he has low energies due to the lack of food
- Trunks tells Goku and the others that Black has ascended Super Saiyan and is much stronger than Gohan was against Cell. Asks them where Gohan is but they tell him he is retired
- Goten studies with Kid Trunks and reaches Future Trunks with him, gets to meet him properly
- Kid Trunks wonders when he is going to become an adult like Future Trunks, Vegeta explains how Saiyans grow. Everyone is surprised, but Future Trunks comments he had a human growth and also knows Gohan had too, then states things probably played out differently in the future maybe because of him changing things up
- Black goes SSJ2 against Goku. Goku goes SSJ3 to match Black’s power
- Black goes SSJ vs SSJ2 Trunks in the flashback
- Trunks asks the kids to show him how powerful they are and is surprised to see both can go SSJ, tells them it actually took him his mentor's Gohan death to snap and achieve SSJ through rage, thinking about it reminds him he should probably pay Gohan a visit
- SSB Vegeta fights SSJ2 Black and the battle plays out like in the anime
- Trunks tries to attack SSR Black but is knocked back immediately
- When Black fires the Kamehameha, Goku is able to free himself from Zamasu and shields Trunks
- Back in the present Vegeta gives Trunks more training while Goku and Beerus investigate Zamasu
- When Goku rages he actually punches Black several times making him bleed too
- Trunks fires a Burning Attack to Black instead of a Galick Gun
- Black fires a ki blast to Trunks when he rescues Zamasu when Trunks it trying to blow himself up, Vegeta arrives and fires a ki blast to save Trunks
- Goku is the first who tries the Mafuba against Zamasu but fails because Black intervenes with his copies, Trunks watches it and he is the one to ask Bulma if she knows how it’s performed and she shows him Piccolo’s tutorial
- Zamasu is successfully sealed so Black puts his potara on the other ear to break the seal
- Merged Zamasu comments how it’s a shame 10% of his power wasn’t enough to beat Father-Son Galick Gun
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:04 am

I suppose I'm of minority opinion here, but the ONLY thing I would change about Super would be that I would have it start with the Universe 6 arc. There was no need to redo the two movies, but if you HAD to include the movies in super just pull a Transformers Season 3 and cut up the existing movies.

Other than that, maybe give the animators more time to work on the show before release (which I suppose cutting Battle of Gods and Resurrection F as is into parts would certainly have allowed for this).
-Laserkid

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:13 am

I'd entirely remove the first 2 arcs. They're pointless. We already have the movies and they should be the canon versions and not the garbage arcs. -_-

Then in the universe 6 arc I'd have Piccolo actually win his fight. He'd still get hit with Frost's poison, but instead of actually falling victim to it, he'd rip his own arm off and announce that there's foul play going on. He'd continue on to fight Magetta and his strategy would be to try to knock him out of the ring, but in the end, Magetta would end up winning. Afterward Buu would fight Magetta since in my version the test wouldn't have even happened. Buu would have a hard time and end up insulting Magetta as he gets more angry, and Magetta would lose due to his insult weakness. Buu would get beaten by Cabba because Cabba would outsmart him somehow and get him off the ring. Vegeta would be impressed by whatever Cabba's strategy was, and then step up to fight him. The rest of the arc would continue as usual.

I'd keep the Copy Vegeta arc, but make Gotenks beat Copy Vegeta and have Goku not show up at all.

In the Future Trunks arc I'd have Trunks train with Vegeta in the time chamber so his power increase might actually make a bit of sense. Then I'd get rid of the potara retcon. Vegito would unfuse later due to the dragon balls, Zamasu or Zeno magic or something. Maybe spend some filler time with Vegito trying to live everyday life. Trunks would still use his Genki Dama sword thingy, but he'd have been taught about the Genki Dama by Goku earlier in the arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm

DB focused on Goku's development by having him collect the DB's and trying to win the Tenkaichi torunament.

Z focused on Gohan going from a cry baby to taking over from his father as earth's protector, Piccolo and Vegeta went from villains who wanted nothing more than earth's destruction to giving up their lives to protect it & Trunks trying to save his future from the androids.

Super doesn't have much development, it's mostly characters who are completely developed just fighting random villains, it doesn't have a cerntral character who's developing throughout the arcs who makes them feel more connected like the original did so that's the main thing I'd change about Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.