Does Toriyama regret creating Goten?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does Toriyama regret creating Goten?

Post by precita » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 am

We know Toriyama doesn't even like using Gohan much anymore, saying "He didn't seem fit to be the hero over Goku" and even Gohan got sidelined.

And now it seems Goku's second son, Goten, has it even worse. We know he was originally created to give Trunks a friend his age, or Gohan to have a younger brother while Goku was dead...and then he came up with the idea of Fusion as the series progressed. But since then....there's been nothing for him. Its very strange to me, but then I see how Gohan is treated so I know Goten has no hope.

I honestly never would have imagined Goten be treated so poorly to the point where he may as well not exist. At least Gohan is still there even if he was sidelined for a while.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does Toriyama regret creating Goten?

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:02 am

Gohan went through a character arc and played a very major role in Z so I can see why he'd regret focusing so much on someone he ended up not using but Goten is such a nobody that he probably doesn't care enough to even remember his name.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:03 am

Goten had a better image in GT, amirite?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:08 am

Teen/adult Goten is basically Yamcha 2.0. I mean, there's not much difference between Goten's adult personality and Yamcha.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:09 am

sintzu wrote:Gohan went through a character arc and played a very major role in Z so I can see why he'd regret focusing so much on someone he ended up not using but Goten is such a nobody that he probably doesn't care enough to even remember his name.
"This so called Son Goten is he a Saiya-jin?" - Akira Toriyama

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:11 am

I'm not getting the impression that Toriyama "doesn't like" Gohan's character as many are presuming. The story provided about changing his mind about his main character role read simply as a matter of not thinking he could easily create the stories he wanted with him. Making things as easy as possible is his mantra, after all. It just so happens narrative conflict is simpler with Goku's character, in his mind.

Concerning Goten, I believe it's as basic as not having a story to tell for him. I don't really see how he's "treated poorly" just because he doesn't have an active role. If the author doesn't have ideas for the character, then I don't see it fit to force something out of him. Let it be natural. I'm personally interested in his transition from wanting to be exactly like his father to moving away from those boyish thoughts though. That's a story that could be explored provided the proper setup for it is executed. The upcoming story doesn't seem to lend itself towards detailing that nor did previous arcs. It should blend into the story with purpose instead of utilizing characters for the sake of a so-called "fanservice quota", I think. That's not to say I don't appreciate the minor details with character interactions. I just don't think there's urgency for concern or injustice against what's established presented in these current developments.
Last edited by Nejishiki on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:12 am

precita wrote:Teen/adult Goten is basically Yamcha 2.0. I mean, there's not much difference between Goten's adult personality and Yamcha.
[spoiler]Yamaha without scars :wtf: :crazy: :wtf:[/spoiler]

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 am

Does anyone else find it odd that both of Goku's sons are compared to Yamcha? Goku you poor bastard, too stupid to realize none of your saiyan children are yours. And Chi Chi? Oh I have some choice words for you! :lol:

Great Question OP. Depends if Toriyama regrets creating Chaozu. Goten's treatment reminds me of Chaozu, not Yamcha.

1st, Chaozu, like Goten was created as a tool first, character second. Chaozu was made to even up the Crane and Turtle School Rivalries if you consider Goku mastered the school and no longer a student of Master Roshi (Yamcha - Tenshinhan, Krillin - Chaozu) And possibly when Toriyama first decided to make Gohan the hero, he likely made Goten to be Gohan's Gohan, or maybe he knew he would use fusion in his next story no matter if Gohan was the hero or not and created Goten specifically to be Trunks' partner. As you can see, the ends justified the means, Toriyama needed a device for his story and molded them into characters.

2nd, So what happens when those tools are no longer needed? Well, for Chaozu, he was shelved. His greatest and only fight in the series completed, he took on Yamcha's Mr. Exposition role for Tenshinhan's abilities and showed he potentially could beat Goku with his psychic powers, then was a background character for the rest of the series, and except for one moment of awesome in Super, has done jack. Now look at Goten. Well, after the Buu Saga, his and Trunks fusion is shown to be worthless since all the opponents now are stronger than a fused SSJ3 substantially. And while for most of Super he and Trunks are sideline characters, used for dialogue and comic relief, Trunks has a girlfriend (who's...like older than his mom...technically :lol: ) and was a key figure in what may be one of the greatest arcs in the franchise, so Trunks has far more than a fusion to be a character while Goten can't even be bothered to rebel against Chi Chi when forced to become a scholar.

So in conclusion? In My Humble Opinion? No. Toriyama doesn't regret creating Goten. I don't think he regrets creating anyone including Chaozu. But did he drop the ball on Goten for the reasons OP stated? Yes. Yes so much.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:16 am

precita wrote:We know Toriyama doesn't even like using Gohan much anymore,
No, we don't.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:43 am

He probably does.
That is the reason bra isn't born yet I assume, he is going to recton her, why bring in a character who he can't even use
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 am

Maybe it´s just simply Toriyama not having any plans for the character, I don´t know why it´s so far for fans to grasp this concept?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:56 am

precita wrote:Teen/adult Goten is basically Yamcha 2.0. I mean, there's not much difference between Goten's adult personality and Yamcha.
Yamcha don't have luck with women, adult Goten is quite a charming man who has a way with ladies :wink:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:19 pm

I don't see why he should.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:26 am

Yeah, I don't think that's the case, but I do feel like Goten DOES need SOME character development so he's not just.....there. I love Goten, he's one of my favorite characters, but you don't know how bad I want Toriyama to just do SOMETHING with him already.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:03 pm

He obviously regrets the half saiyans. They make his pride and joy, Goku, look less special in comparison.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Why should he regret creating him?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:22 pm

kinisking wrote:He obviously regrets the half saiyans. They make his pride and joy, Goku, look less special in comparison.
Isn't Piccolo his favorite character ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
kinisking wrote:He obviously regrets the half saiyans. They make his pride and joy, Goku, look less special in comparison.
I have no clue actually. Would be surprising if that was the case considering how irrelevant piccolo is.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 pm

kinisking wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
I have no clue actually. Would be surprising if that was the case considering how irrelevant piccolo is.
He said in the 90's that Piccolo and MR.Satan were his 2 favorites.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Isn't Piccolo his favorite character ?
He said in the 90's that Piccolo and MR.Satan were his 2 favorites.
If someone other than goku was his favorite, I'd immediately guess them to be a gag character. I'm not surprised by Mr Satan because of that, but piccolo? Interesting. I wonder why he doesn't treat him better. I also wonder if his opinions have changed.