Why all the Gohan hate recently ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Why all the Gohan hate recently ?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:20 pm

Yes, I know, it's probably just a vocal minority, and that many people don't hate Gohan, but still, I've seen all Gohan hate crop up on here since I first joined. Is it because of rabid fans who want "WHY CANT GOHAN GO SSJ 2 LIKE IN THE CELL ARC" ? Is it because on review you think that's he's not a great character ? Or is it something else entirety ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: Why all the Gohan hate recently ?

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:46 pm

I think there's a lot of reasons; his role in Super is probably one of them. You've got some people who were convinced every time he coughed, it meant he would 'come back', some people who were just sick of hearing about that, and some people who thought even if it was true, Gohan as a character probably didn't deserve the attention in the first place.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 pm

I haven't noticed much hate, but there's definitely a counter-culture forming.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Its a vocal minority. Gohan is the third most popular character in the series after Goku and Vegeta. No other characters, bar maybe Piccolo and Krillin, have anywhere the amount of following Gohan has.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:31 am

Very small amount of people actually hate the character.
People who want ssj2 gohan action all the time do not care much about the character for them to develop hatred.

From what I have noticed it's Gohan's most Hardcore fans who joke about him most of the times..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:04 am

I don't hate Gohan I just hate fanbase who constantly bring him up in everything.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29 am

The Patrolman wrote:I don't hate Gohan I just hate fanbase who constantly bring him up in everything.
Well its not like he was built up as the secondary main character in Dragonball Z or anything....

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:50 am

There are two groups hating:
A. The ones who want Gohan to be great again, and not some background nerd who does nothing.
B. The ones infected with what I call "Broly syndrome": Fans who get so fed up by other fans frequently praising or discussing a certain character that they grow to heavily dislike the character spoken of, rather than simply the fans who ramble on about said character.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:27 am

precita wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:I don't hate Gohan I just hate fanbase who constantly bring him up in everything.
Well its not like he was built up as the secondary main character in Dragonball Z or anything....
I'd argue PRIMARY.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:48 am

Gohan is the new Yamcha. This is why I dislike internet culture in general.

All of a sudden a character gets some criticism and then it somehow becomes a meme and gets popularized and never goes away. Dragonball had the benefit of ending back in 1995 before the internet became a thing.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:11 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Very small amount of people actually hate the character.
People who want ssj2 gohan action all the time do not care much about the character for them to develop hatred.

From what I have noticed it's Gohan's most Hardcore fans who joke about him most of the times..
This.

Gohan was always or almost always forced to fight. Those "Gohan fans" are not "Gohan fans", are fans only of his edgy moments. Gohan is not a natural fighter like Goku and Vegeta. He foughts only when it's necessary.

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:40 am

Mostly because people won't shut the **** up about him already.

Gohan's schtick was getting angry, doing something cool that ultimately accomplished nothing, and then went back to being irrelevant again. Then the Cell Games happened and Gohan gets to be the big man on the block for a bit.. Except that as soon as his awesome transformation sequence is over, he fucks that situation up even more. We're supposed to sit there and be in awe about how powerful he is, but that entire string of episodes wasn't that interesting nor well animated. Instead Gohan acts like a jackass and gets his father killed for it.Toriyama tried to replace Goku with his son and it didn't pan out. We see the same crap happen when Gohan eclipses the entire cast due to Old Kai's asspull power-up... And he botches that opportunity just like he did against Cell. He learned absolutely nothing, despite all the schooling he's had.

Gohan was never the fighting junkie that Goku & Vegeta are nor was he thrust into a shitty world like Future Trunks. He was simply doing what was necessary at the time. He's just a self-insert for a lot of people who watched Dragonball growing up, and they want to see the character they identified with grow and progress with the series & remain relevant. Gohan fading into the background with a happy life makes sense within the context of the story. Sure it's unfortunate, but unless he starts dishonestly competing in sports to make huge sums of prize money, he can't provide for his family just by being super powerful (why they need money is anyones guess, given who Videl's dad is). I think he should have maintained the level of power he had against Majin Buu so that he can protect them when his dad is gone, but it is what it is.

People just need to let go.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:48 am

He's a really boring character but his fans don't half drive me up the wall and just made me actually dislike-hate the character but now he's "back" but not at the expense of Goku as MC hoping his fans simmer down now & I am hoping my opinion reverses on him and he'll go back to being a character that's just there to me, I came to terms with Vegetto's appearance last arc after being so vehemently against it so aslong as Gohan does interesting things I shan't complain much about his involvement.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:15 pm

precita wrote:Gohan is the new Yamcha. This is why I dislike internet culture in general.

All of a sudden a character gets some criticism and then it somehow becomes a meme and gets popularized and never goes away. Dragonball had the benefit of ending back in 1995 before the internet became a thing.
Yeah, it's an overblown thing about Dragon Ball that has become a meme, just like calling TFS an official dub and also the best dub, overblowing DBS ep 5's bad animation and the show's animation as a whole, etc.

Dragon Ball has a very bandwagon style community...depending on where you're at of course. I don't get that feeling here too much

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:37 pm

Given that I've always been a Goku fan, it never bothered me that Gohan relevance (or lack thereof) in the story after the Cell Saga faded into becoming a glorified, background character.

What has surprised me is just how popular he is to warrant such a delusional hope that he will "come back" full-time as a fighter.

In-universe wise, he is at best a semi-retired individual who places his family and studies above the life as a martial artist and if he's needed as an extra ally to defeat a villain, then he'll be there.

It is very hateful that ever since Super began, we've seen Gohan being hyped up for something and then being under-utilized in the most embarrassingly stupid of ways. Toei/Toriyama should either use him appropriately or not use him at all.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:37 pm

RedShift wrote:Mostly because people won't shut the **** up about him already.

Gohan's schtick was getting angry, doing something cool that ultimately accomplished nothing, and then went back to being irrelevant again. Then the Cell Games happened and Gohan gets to be the big man on the block for a bit.. Except that as soon as his awesome transformation sequence is over, he fucks that situation up even more. We're supposed to sit there and be in awe about how powerful he is, but that entire string of episodes wasn't that interesting nor well animated. Instead Gohan acts like a jackass and gets his father killed for it.Toriyama tried to replace Goku with his son and it didn't pan out. We see the same crap happen when Gohan eclipses the entire cast due to Old Kai's asspull power-up... And he botches that opportunity just like he did against Cell. He learned absolutely nothing, despite all the schooling he's had.

Gohan was never the fighting junkie that Goku & Vegeta are nor was he thrust into a shitty world like Future Trunks. He was simply doing what was necessary at the time. He's just a self-insert for a lot of people who watched Dragonball growing up, and they want to see the character they identified with grow and progress with the series & remain relevant. Gohan fading into the background with a happy life makes sense within the context of the story. Sure it's unfortunate, but unless he starts dishonestly competing in sports to make huge sums of prize money, he can't provide for his family just by being super powerful (why they need money is anyones guess, given who Videl's dad is). I think he should have maintained the level of power he had against Majin Buu so that he can protect them when his dad is gone, but it is what it is.

People just need to let go.
Could not have said it better myself

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:57 pm

I don't hate him. I'm neutral to him if anything. I like his Great Saiyaman shtick, but that's about it.

I actually find Yamcha more interesting than Gohan simply because life panned out really well for Gohan, ultimately (family, job, personal goals), but Yamcha's still struggling and it's like I want to see things work out for him. That's why I'm kinda disappointed he's not in the upcoming arc.

Though I guess "Gohan is boring." is somehow worse than saying you have negative opinions of him because it means he doesn't stir any reaction from you.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:19 pm

I notcied a lot of people saying "fans won't shut the fuck up about him" as a reason they may resent the character, but, he was one of the main characters of the series and was the MC for a short period, so it's not unresonable that people wanna see him do something. Do some people take it to far ? Yes. Are people being unreasonable ? I don't think so.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:15 am

People only hate him because of his fanbase that its. Fans can make people who at best feel neutral to hating the character due to how obnoxious and annoying the fans happens in every series :roll:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:I notcied a lot of people saying "fans won't shut the fuck up about him" as a reason they may resent the character, but, he was one of the main characters of the series and was the MC for a short period, so it's not unresonable that people wanna see him do something. Do some people take it to far ? Yes. Are people being unreasonable ? I don't think so.
Literally ever youtube video talking about the 12 universe tournament has a huge section talking about while neglecting the others. The problem is that people are living in the past and not the present with Gohan.