Which movie do you prefer, 12 or 13?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Which movie do you prefer, 12 or 13?

Post by Doctor. » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Those two are usually agreed to be the best films out of the original 13, but there's not really a consensus on which one's the best. Which one do you like most?

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Which movie do you prefer, 12 or 13?

Post by kinisking » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 pm

12! Janemba and Gogeta are some of the best characters in the series.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:22 pm

13 is my favorite cause its plot fits with the manga's, it has an interesting story with an interesting new character (Tapion) & Ssj3 was fully relevant and was the key to winning the fight.

It was also the last time Gohan was important which is a big deal now due to how badly he's been treated afterwards.

The only issue I have with the movie is Piccolo's absence, he's nowhere to be seen for some reason which is a shame cause I would've liked to see him kill that little troll who helped bring back the monster.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 pm

12. Lots of good interaction between Gokû and Vegeta in that one. I don't think they say one word to each other in 13.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Thirteen, without a shadow of a doubt.

It's the only one that actually feels like a real film. Tapion's great, and he's someone you truly care for. His relationship with Trunks is very well done, and the film has just the right amount of spectacle. I adore it.

I say this a lot, but I actually don't like 12 very much, and I don't think I'll ever understand it outside of a simple 'these things look cool', which doesn't mean very much when it's very derivative. It's also all over the place, tonally.

I find Bojack to be better as its imaginary and villains are more interesting to look at -- they're things you so rarely see in Dragon Ball. It's far more focused, too.

Anyway, yes. Movie 13, absolutely!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:44 am

Both are great but Movie 13 feels like a "real movie." It actually has a plot. Its not just fighting.

Movie 12 is fun though, its almost like a parody movie. I also like how its set in an alternate timeline where Vegeta succeeded in killing Fat Buu when he sacrificed himself, so Goku also just returned to the afterlife. In this timeline both Goku and Vegeta actually stay dead. A lot of people don't seem to bring that up much, but Movie 12 is actually quite a depressing timeline where neither Goku nor Vegeta are alive.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 am

sintzu wrote:13 is my favorite cause its plot fits with the manga's, it has an interesting story with an interesting new character (Tapion) & Ssj3 was fully relevant and was the key to winning the fight.

It was also the last time Gohan was important which is a big deal now due to how badly he's been treated afterwards.

The only issue I have with the movie is Piccolo's absence, he's nowhere to be seen for some reason which is a shame cause I would've liked to see him kill that little troll who helped bring back the monster.
I'd say Gohan was pretty important in ROF too, even though that movie treated him horribly.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:35 am

kinisking wrote:I'd say Gohan was pretty important in ROF too, even though that movie treated him horribly.
That's the problem with RF, it had Gohan but it treated him horribly while M13 didn't.

He didn't beat the main villain or anything like that but he wasn't direspected in it like he was in RF.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:38 am

Also Super Saiyan 3 actually beats the main villain in the movie, whereas Super Saiyan 3 never won a fight anytime else in the series.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 am

13 has implied character development. It always wins for me. Plus, it makes Goten and Trunks act seriously and show actual concern over the wider plot.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:44 am

Movie 12 does introduces Gogeta. The villain was stronger than SSJ3 Goku. Moreover Hitler was portrayed somewhat like a gag character.

Movie 13 introduced the Dragon Fist. Tapion's story was good. The movie focused more on Kid Trunks.

Somehow I prefer movie 13 over 12.

But can someone tell me why Bulma gave a spaceship shaped as a time machine to Tapion

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:01 am

SuperKirillin wrote:But can someone tell me why Bulma gave a spaceship shaped as a time machine to Tapion
Because it was a time machine. She gave it to him so he can back to the time where his friends are alive.

I prefer 13. It fits with the manga and has a very good story.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:30 am

Mnich wrote:Because it was a time machine. She gave it to him so he can back to the time where his friends are alive.
So DBS contradicts this movie

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

SuperKirillin wrote:So DBS contradicts this movie
It doesn't particularly contradict it, no. Dragon Ball Super's continuity has no relation to Dragon Ball Z Movie 13's establishment. The film's story exists in a "different dimension" from all other Dragon Ball stories, including the main tale. It can only, if applicable, contradict its own self-contained continuity.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:52 pm

Movie 12, no doubt about it. Best villain, best scenario, best theme (the one which plays when Janemba is hit by Soul Punisher)... Well, Movie 12 is almost flawless, it just needed more of that Gogeta.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:42 pm

For me, DBZ Movie 13 is one of worst movies (I don't like Kid Trunks, and i find Tapion to be very boring, plus that deus ex machina Dragon Fist crap Goku pulled) as opposed to DBZ Movie 12, with is one of the best :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:01 pm

I liked kid Trunks better than the future one, Gohan's treatment as a student and crime fighter, the Super Saiyan 3 as the strongest, Tapion's design and backstory, and a freaking giant monster for a villain. I didn't like the ties to future Trunks by merit of the sword and time machine, but since Tapion departed in what seemed to be another, the ending is merely a neat reference to him. With that being said, I'm glad that Piccolo was absent and didn't save Gohan from Hirudegarn, because he overstood his welcome with that kind of treatment. Vegeta's appearance was actually nice!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:59 pm

I'm very conflicted. I love the chemistry that Goku and Vegeta have in Movie 12. Janemba is also an awesome villain, especially in the abilities department, and Gogeta steals the show. But Movie 13 was the first DBZ that had actual substances to the story. Not to mention Tapion was a wonderful character, in both design and personality. I'd guess I have to go with Movie 13 because that was only DBZ movie, before BOG, that got me genuinely engaged in the story beyond a superficial level.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:06 pm

It's a tough choice to be sure. I love both movies so much. 12 is so much fun, but I'll give the win to 13 because I think it's the better story. Plus I found the fights and the villain really cool.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:25 pm

13 felt more like an actual movie, and not just a special episode. It had characters with a backstory that you could believe and wasn't as rushed as the other 'films'.