Why does Tenshinhan never get any filler episodes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why does Tenshihan never get any filler episodes?

Post by TheMathemagician » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:06 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Akyon wrote:Because Tien is, frankly, not a dynamic character at all.

He's less of a people person than Piccolo and Vegeta so the episode of his daily life would be rather limited in character interactions
He's more stoic than Piccolo and Vegeta so he somehow gets even less gags than them
He's not got any big personal issues to overcome unlike Krillin or even Gohan, his only issue is not being a Saiyan
He's not a memetic character with a special skill like Yamcha(baseball in this case)
His career is the same as Goku's; a farmer. So we see that daily life through Goku.
The only person he interacts with on a daily basis us Chiaoutzu who is considered by many to be a flat character. Flatter than even Puar.
He's aromantic so he doesn't have any romantic angles like Goku, Vegeta, Krillin or Gohan
He doesn't really have any quirk to focus on.

That doesn't mean you CAN'T do things with Tien of course. Personally I'd love to see him(and Chiaoutzu) and Goku have a farming rivalry episode, but there's not as much base material with Tenshinhan to bounce off of as there are with other characters.

Tien is kinda dull really personality wise ever since he became a heroic figure.
I liked his personality in the King Piccolo arc and even when he was first introduced. But yeah, ever since then its been downhill for the character. He's background decoration at this point like so many other characters now.
He is in the background, but so is Yamcha. I find Yamcha far more entertaining than Tenshinhan. Ten was pretty cool during the 22nd, and he was pretty funny with the volleyball move.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Why does Tenshinhan never get any filler episodes?

Post by kinisking » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Although I love him, he's not relevant or popular.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:46 pm

He is the only serious character in this show, that's the joke!!!

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:24 pm

He's less of a people person than Piccolo and Vegeta so the episode of his daily life would be rather limited in character interactions
He's more stoic than Piccolo and Vegeta so he somehow gets even less gags than them
He's not got any big personal issues to overcome unlike Krillin or even Gohan, his only issue is not being a Saiyan
He's not a memetic character with a special skill like Yamcha(baseball in this case)
His career is the same as Goku's; a farmer. So we see that daily life through Goku.
The only person he interacts with on a daily basis us Chiaoutzu who is considered by many to be a flat character. Flatter than even Puar.
He's aromantic so he doesn't have any romantic angles like Goku, Vegeta, Krillin or Gohan

That doesn't mean you CAN'T do things with Tien of course. Personally I'd love to see him(and Chiaoutzu) and Goku have a farming rivalry episode, but there's not as much base material with Tenshinhan to bounce off of as there are with other characters.

Tien is kinda dull really personality wise ever since he became a heroic figure.
There's Launch, whose situation with Tenshinhan has been described inconsistently over the years by Toriyama (in an earlier interview he said that she eventually managed to make him accept her feelings, while in a more recent one he said Tenshinhan had no interest in romance at all, but she still visits sometimes).

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:25 am

Neon Z wrote:

There's Launch, whose situation with Tenshinhan has been described inconsistently over the years by Toriyama (in an earlier interview he said that she eventually managed to make him accept her feelings, while in a more recent one he said Tenshinhan had no interest in romance at all, but she still visits sometimes).
Are you certain about that? From Toriyama's account, Tenshinhan didn't accept Lunch's feelings during any point in history. You may have misinterpreted what was recorded. Tenshinhan's disinterest in romantic venues is consistent throughout Dragon Ball's story.
A Public Movie Celebration For “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods”! wrote:Tenshinhan’s Epilogue:
Stoic Tenshinhan mainly does farming in addition to his training. He can split into multiple bodies and grow extra arms, so harvesting the crops goes quickly. He was found by Lunch, who fell in love with him at first sight and had been constantly pursuing his whereabouts, and even reluctantly lived together with her; but she wasn’t cut out for farming, and Tenshinhan has no interest in romance, so she left after just a few days. After that, it seems Lunch apparently stops in from time to time.
Dragon Ball Full Color: Majin Boo Arc Volume #06 (04 July 2014) wrote:Lunch went off chasing after Tenshinhan. Since Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu moved around from place to place as they trained, they really gave her the slip.
EDIT: Personally, I don't understand the issue with Tenshinhan deciding to reject Lunch. He's not obligated to wine & dine her because she's interested in him nor does it automatically insinuate he's romantically involved with Chiaotzu. Let the man live his own life! He values his hobbies more than romance. :D

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:43 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8555&p=192211&hilit=Yamcha#p192211

There's the interview I was talking about. It's from Dragonball Forever, so from way back during 2004.
Q2. Did Lunch ever manage to meet up with Tenshinhan?
A. I wonder...Tenshinhan gave Lunch the cold shoulder, but she tenaciously persisted, and ultimately they were together! Couldn't that be it? (laughs)

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:49 am

Dragon Ball is a gag series. Tien is not a funny character, nor he has interesting background or motivation. He's a cool guy but there's nothing to show about Tien. He will only train on screen or do his job.

Youtube is obsessed with power levels, but outside youtube Tien is neither popular no relevant. He's an empty character
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:44 am

He had great episodes in DragonBall. He's just got it all together. Looking forward to him kicking *** in the tournament.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:Dragon Ball is a gag series. Tien is not a funny character, nor he has interesting background or motivation. He's a cool guy but there's nothing to show about Tien. He will only train on screen or do his job.
I think they could actually do good character drama showing how he feels regarding being left behind due to stuff like SSJ, trying to surpass his limits and such. Vegeta in the original Z had some scenes kind of like hat in spite of them being much more unfitting for a Saiyan like him. There's also Lunch who could be thrown there if they want some humor.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Tenshinhan really is a very good character for serious filler. These Kuririn episodes had some gags but were mostly about his internal struggles and fears.

Ten definitely deserves an episode.
He's honestly a depressing character at this point, since he's the only one who didn't achieve his goal:

1. Yamcha got over his fear of girls.
2. Kuririn got married.
3. Bulma found a "good" husband.
4. Piccolo killed Goku.
5. Chiaotzu spent the rest of his life with Ten.
6. Goku won the 23rd Budokai and became the strongest on Earth, then in Space, then in the Otherworld! Now he's aiming to be the best in the realm of the Gods.
7. Majin Boo found a good friend in Satan.
8. Mr. Satan actually legitimately helped save the world.
9. Gohan became a scholar.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.
Ten on the other hand NEVER surpassed Goku for even a single second, which was literally his goal.
It's really sad.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:50 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:Ten on the other hand NEVER surpassed Goku for even a single second, which was literally his goal.
It's really sad.
A bit unrealistic to be expecting this at this point, and a depressing episode where Tenshinhan mopes around about being a failure wouldn't really fit his character.

Sadly, there's not much they can do with him.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Tenshihan realized he would never surpass Goku by the last Dragonball tournament. I don't think he's losing any sleep over it.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:54 am

Episode 89. He just did. Going to be Epic.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:58 am

JulianStyles wrote:Episode 89. He just did. Going to be Epic.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's coming Tenshinhan fans! I'm hyped aswell.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 am

omaro34 wrote:Tien is unfortunately neglected, I'm not surprised in the slightest. Don't expect anything significantly different.
That's it, he will be neglected again.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Rubens wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's coming Tenshinhan fans! I'm hyped aswell.
I can't wait for that episode, too. My favourite bald headed three-eyed bastard is finally get some major screentime. :mrgreen:

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Not to offend anyone who might be a fan of the character but i find Tien one of the most boring characters on the show,Krillin and Yamcha are more entertaining.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:Not to offend anyone who might be a fan of the character but i find Tien one of the most boring characters on the show,Krillin and Yamcha are more entertaining.
I agree, especially with Yamcha. Heck, the most interesting thing for me in the spoilers is that Goku is going to find Muten Roshi. With that said, this is the perfect chance to make Tenshinhan more of an interesting character. Him opening up a dojo is certainly nice. But yeah, I'm more excited for Goku + 17 saving Yellowstone Park, and Gohan + Piccolo training.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Hirovoid

Post by Hirovoid » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Considering these episodes are recruitment for the upcoming tournament, I don't think I'd consider them filler episodes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:Not to offend anyone who might be a fan of the character but i find Tien one of the most boring characters on the show,Krillin and Yamcha are more entertaining.
Well it's true Tien isn't really THAT interesting outside of fighting, but maybe this episode will change that.