Where do all the Ki blasts that missed and sail off into space go?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Where do all the Ki blasts that missed and sail off into space go?

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 pm

I notice that when a Ki blast in a fight misses it just flies off into space. Do these blasts blow up planets/asteroids/the moon (again)? If so, then the solar system is very different in the Dragon Ball Universe, and there are so many missed Ki blasts that I'm sure they could have blown up other planets in the universe too.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Where do all the Ki blasts that missed and sail off into space go?

Post by Gog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 pm

They either destroy a planet, or like everything they slowly get weaker and weaker until the blasts dissipate harmlessly in the infinite void.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah, I'd imagine the easiest and most obvious answer is that they just lose their power and fizzle out before they get too far.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Most ki blasts appear to be basically hard light cannonballs. Not something that would really 'fizzle out' in a vacuum.

I dare to assume that people here know that space is empty. Once you fire that hunk of spiritual energy, it keeps going 'till it hits something. That can be a martial artist, or the planet behind that martial artist. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you fire it, you are ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime.

Or it'll probably just go sailing through blackness forever. Space is big.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 am

If they work anything like light they become weaker and weaker and weaker.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:38 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Most ki blasts appear to be basically hard light cannonballs. Not something that would really 'fizzle out' in a vacuum.

I dare to assume that people here know that space is empty. Once you fire that hunk of spiritual energy, it keeps going 'till it hits something. That can be a martial artist, or the planet behind that martial artist. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you fire it, you are ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime.

It could also always hit an asteroid, or a lifeless planet.

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:45 am

Zephyr wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Most ki blasts appear to be basically hard light cannonballs. Not something that would really 'fizzle out' in a vacuum.

It could also always hit an asteroid, or a lifeless planet.
It could, but in real world at least the space is so empty that it likely wouldn't hit an asteroid or a planet even travelling millions of years.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 am

saunasolmu wrote:It could, but in real world at least the space is so empty that it likely wouldn't hit an asteroid or a planet even travelling millions of years.
Right, I was just pointing out that it hitting something isn't guaranteed to ruin someone's day.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:26 am

I wonder, if a stray ki blast was approaching Earth, could it be sensed and intercepted?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:33 am

Idk, they all seem to lose their stability the longer and farther they travel. Almost every ki blast we've seen seems to detonate at some point particularly with contact.

If I had to guess, part of the formation of the ki blast is to formulate it into a stable energy projectile. The concentrated energy in the projectiles seem to only remain stable for a short time of period and distance. I imagine the pulsating energy isn't static and eventually collapses on itself resulting in the detonation. It also appears the energy collapse could be forced prematurely through contact with other energy sources and objects. Further it also appears they have the unique ability of entering a start of equilibrium when meeting an opposing energy force until one inevitably overwhelms the other.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I wonder, if a stray ki blast was approaching Earth, could it be sensed and intercepted?
It's basically ki, they sensed freeza coming to earth, if blast is powerful enough why not, it can be intercepted
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 am

Don't we see some dissipate in the anime? Am I making that up?

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 am

It goes on and on until it gets weaker.

Bonus scenario, a black hole might drag it if it passes nearby.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Some dissipate and some go on.

Blasts that separate from the shooter keep going once thrown, whereas beams connected to the shooter will flicker out. That's been my observation, anyway. :thumbup:
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 am

doesnt the user decide that?

if goku shoots a kamehame into space he decides if it explodes midway or keeps going.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 am

Tsufuru wrote:doesnt the user decide that?

if goku shoots a kamehame into space he decides if it explodes midway or keeps going.
Yeah, if the blast thrower decides to make it explode, but I imagine they may not be able to detonate it if it gets super far off into space unless they have really good ki control.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:05 am

*Immature joke inbound*

They go to Uranus.

But for real though, they probably fade out while traveling through space.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

arromdee

Post by arromdee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Ki blasts that hit the ground don't destroy the planet, so we pretty much have to assume that the ki blast is going to dissipate after some distance.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:52 am

I wonder if any of them make it to other universes. I could see Vegeta's Final Flash being the real reason for U6 Earth's destruction.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Gog wrote:They either destroy a planet, or like everything they slowly get weaker and weaker until the blasts dissipate harmlessly in the infinite void.
But how can anything get slowly in space?
Vados Sama!