Does Super get as much hate as GT?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Does Super get as much hate as GT?

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 am

This has been on my mind lately, because when I tend to watch DB/ Z / GT clips on Youtube, the majority of the comment section is just bashing on how bad Super is. The amount of rant videos being uploaded is insane too. So, does this even mean Super gets more hate than GT now? Imo I'd just rank them at the same level, both series have their pros and cons and it all comes down to personal taste in the end, but...the hate. It's everywhere regarding Super. Fans criticize every new piece of footage, which I can understand to a certain degree.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does Super get as much hate as GT?

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 am

No way. Not even back in the BOG and FNF Arcs.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:45 am

I hate GT.

I don't hate Super.

No.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 am

Not really, those same comment section praises the dub of super saying how good it is..
Most of them have a problem with super because of Japanese Voices, not super itself..

As for me personally, GT dosen't deserve to be called Dragonball and super is explained in my sig..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am

I personally don't hate GT, moreover I think Super won't get anywhere close to GT's ending's level, but I don't hate Super either... I think Super has a better story than GT, but GT has it's own great advantage in it's ending.

I guess, Super and GT always get compared with each other, but Super is kinda better... especially counting the last, Future Trunks/Goku Black Arc.

I think Super gets slightly lesser hate than GT, but maybe due to nostalgia factor. In my view, Super it's mediocre at best along with GT...
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 am

No.
Gt's boring, and at least for me Super never bored me. Not even when I rewatched the retellings.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 am

Back then Super was hated because of Episode 5 animation & the retellings but now not that much ...At the beginning it was crazy you have seen so
many videos and facebook posts about how bad the animation was etc There is hate especially if you watch youtubers who does reviews but not only
Dragonball different animes you can see some other anime fans hating on Dragonball Super Reviews saying Super sucks etc

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:33 am

YouTube is not the majority. They're a vocal minority that just like to hate everything. So, don't pay attention to anything what the YouTube crowd says.

There's no way to say for sure which is more liked or hated, but if sales are anything to go by DBS is in a much better place than GT was. Of course, sales don't reflect quality, but factually speaking that's the only criteria which can be used to compare the two products.

Personally, both are poor products that get a lot of things wrong. There are few things I find myself enjoying in both products, but neither of them are good.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:YouTube is not the majority. They're a vocal minority that just like to hate everything. So, don't pay attention to anything what the YouTube crowd says.

There's no way to say for sure which is more liked or hated, but if sales are anything to go by DBS is in a much better place than GT was. Of course, sales don't reflect quality, but factually speaking that's the only criteria which can be used to compare the two products.

Personally, both are poor products that get a lot of things wrong. There are few things I find myself enjoying in both products, but neither of them are good.
In my humble opinion Super is comitting suicide being stuck in the this 10 years of "peace"!

Let's make a revision:

1. Uub is mentioned, so EoZ is on the table -> we already know the ending -> there are no real stakes
2. Goku and Vegeta are already too overpowered -> virtually no room for real threats even if they pass through the time when they meet Uub.
3. The Supreme being (Omni-king/Zen'o) and the whole reality(the 12 universes and their alterante timelines and governors) are already introduced, there's no room for any true surprises.

These facts aside, characters are essentially caricartures of themselves and the producers rely too much on the fanservice... Now they are under the necessity to introduce a Saiyan form(LSSJ) from one of the movies, which even if it turns out not to be the exact same form, it truely represents what a crisis really exists... Let's be honest, it really does.

In my view, Super can no longer be saved in the sense to become a comparable masterpiece to DBZ(DB) anime... It's too late! It can be enjoyable, but that's it, it has failed to gain the capacity to inspire...

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:11 pm

It's a real shame though, because the Super manga is leagues better. I keep hitting myself because think how good it would be if Super was actually done like the manga in Z's style. The manga has that Z violence and atmosphere going for it.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Low Tone G wrote:

2. Goku and Vegeta are already too overpowered -> virtually no room for real threats even if they pass through the time when they meet Uub.
In my view, Super can no longer be saved in the sense to become a comparable masterpiece to DBZ(DB) anime... It's too late! It can be enjoyable, but that's it, it has failed to gain the capacity to inspire...
1.Black says hello :lol:
2.Also db/dbz are more like a one time thing, i mean, the atmosphere and all that, super it's modern dragon ball and it'll never be old dragon ball.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:

2.Also db/dbz are more like a one time thing, i mean, the atmosphere and all that, super it's modern dragon ball and it'll never be old dragon ball.
I'd ask you one question: Does Super inspire you?

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Super is a roller coaster. GT is a merry go round.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:

I'd ask you one question: Does Super inspire you?
What do you mean?

I mean, i like super but so far, my feelings about how it could "inspire me" are really mixed. The only two things that i found inspirational were:
-Goku's never dying spirit in ep 14.
-Future Trunks/Mai not giving up in the Ft Trunks arc.

But this are pretty much basic things and pretty much the most basic thing i look for in any series.

But the things behind the scenes do inspire me. I mean, the schedule is hell for the animators, they really put a lot of effort in their work. People like Higashide who work in many episodes are the type of person i want to be, hard working.

Then again most of the things that i like in super are things that i pretty much want to see on the show and not necessarily anything inspirational.

Pretty much a mixed bag.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:YouTube is not the majority. They're a vocal minority that just like to hate everything. So, don't pay attention to anything what the YouTube crowd says.

YouTube is majority or closet thing too, if you ever wanna find a consensus for something gaming or TV related your best is go to YT.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:13 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:

YouTube is majority or closet thing too, if you ever wanna find a consensus for something gaming or TV related your best is go to YT.
Even then that isn't really true.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Super is worse than GT for me but it is more entertaining to watch despite being the mother of all pieces of shit Dragon Ball wise. That's why I'm not surprised people aren't so feverishly against it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:19 pm

TheMathemagician wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:

Even then that isn't really true.
Then tell me how it isn't.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:35 pm

The only thing we can do to truly messure which one is hated more is through their financial results and we all know Super has faaaaaaaaar surpassed anything GT did financially.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:36 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:It's a real shame though, because the Super manga is leagues better. I keep hitting myself because think how good it would be if Super was actually done like the manga in Z's style. The manga has that Z violence and atmosphere going for it.
I wouldn't say your completely objective opinion too loudly around here...

But no matter how "bad" Super gets it will always have the distinct advantage of being considered "canon" and "from Toriyama"... no mattter how many Toei ideas they cram into it. So by default, for some people, Super is better because its "authentic" and "genuine" :roll: