LGBT Dragon Ball Fanbase Experiences and Talk

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Re: LGBT Dragon Ball Fanbase

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Cipher wrote: I'm going to second Gaffer Tape on this. We may not delve far into any of them, but heterosexual relationships are very much present in the series.

I think there's a bit of a false equivalence that goes around when people discuss the difficulties of adding gay characters to popular fiction. There's an odd assumption that to do so, you'd have to delve into the romantic or sexual side of their relationships in a way that has never been true for the portrayal of straight couples.

Which is to say, Dragon Ball could absolutely have some coupled gay characters. Their relationship wouldn't need to be any more foregrounded than Bulma and Vegeta's, Videl or Gohan's, Kuririn or 18's, etc. Hell, a male fighter in the upcoming multiversal tournament could simply walk back to his boyfriend in the stands.

Whether that light a depiction gets into tokenism or would simply be an equivalent representation and a natural one to include given the expansive size of the cast is another matter, and really one that comes down to execution.

This is veering back into the territory covered by the recent "Queerness in DB" thread. I don't want to take it back onto that track, but I did want to throw some support behind this post.
One of the main reasons they haven't touched it, I assume, is because it is always going to be seen as tokenism by a large part of the fanbase. When they showed Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend at the NFL draft, people were up in arms with the "Oh man they don't need to rub in our face that he's gay" kind of talk, even though they had no problem with the media showing a player kissing his girlfriend at the same event.

I'm not saying that is a good reason to not do it, but in your example at the tournament I can guarantee the talk of the episode would be the 5 second clip of the fighter and his boyfriend, rather than the 20 minutes of action.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:02 am

Cipher wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:But heterosexual relationships, desires, and urges ARE addressed in Dragon Ball, all the time: Goku and Chichi, Blooma and Yamucha, Blooma and Vegeta, Lunch and Tenshinhan, Gohan and Videl, Oolong and Kame'Sennin with anything with a vagina. Yes, it's shallow, but it's ever-present, often crucial to the plot, and yet they certainly don't seem shoehorned in. After all, the entire story of Dragon Ball is set in motion by a teenage girl's heterosexual desires.

I freely admit I'm no fan of tokenism, and sometimes it's all too easy for an inclusion of an under-represented group to feel that way instead of the organic outgrowth it needs to be in order to be successful. But it's hard for me to accept an argument against homosexual relationships with the justification that Dragon Ball doesn't need any sexuality at all. Because it's there. And using that reasoning often belies the true reason for hesitation: that they perceive heterosexual relationships as the norm and all else as a jarring deviation at best. It's an unconscious bias that allows people to look at a smorgasbord of heterosexuality examples and not even notice them but perceive any incursion of other sexualities as something that is jarring and can't be ignored.

Unless, of course, I'm misreading your statement, and you are expressing a wish that Dragon Ball literally hadn't addressed sexuality at all, including all of the heterosexual examples it has included over the years.
I'm going to second Gaffer Tape on this. We may not delve far into any of them, but heterosexual relationships are very much present in the series.

I think there's a bit of a false equivalence that goes around when people discuss the difficulties of adding gay characters to popular fiction. There's an odd assumption that to do so, you'd have to delve into the romantic or sexual side of their relationships in a way that has never been true for the portrayal of straight couples.

Which is to say, Dragon Ball could absolutely have some coupled gay characters. Their relationship wouldn't need to be any more foregrounded than Bulma and Vegeta's, Videl or Gohan's, Kuririn or 18's, etc. Hell, a male fighter in the upcoming multiversal tournament could simply walk back to his boyfriend in the stands.

Whether that light a depiction gets into tokenism or would simply be an equivalent representation and a natural one to include given the expansive size of the cast is another matter, and really one that comes down to execution.

This is veering back into the territory covered by the recent "Queerness in DB" thread. I don't want to take it back onto that track, but I did want to throw some support behind this post.
The real question is "would it add anything of value"? This is obviously a touchy subject, so I'm going to say my piece and be done with it. My answer to my question is "no". The type of genitals a character likes to play with or which hole they want to stick it in does not mean anything in a series about saving the world from destructive gods and aliens. The world exists because of hetero procreation, most fictions has a world that exists on the same basis. So you literally cannot have a world exist without heterosexuality being explored by some people's measure. Even if that is the case, I don't have much interest in seeing the complexities unfold.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:36 am

While this topic was not meant for "WE WANT REPRESENTATION DAMMIT" in fact, this topic was mean to see how LGBT Dragon Ball Fans exist OUTSIDE of the Canon of the show, In the real world we had to represent ourselves in a world where we are not seen as the norm, that's kind of a sad way to think... IF I got you right., Even Toriyama had a badass gay villain who wasnt a horndog over Bulma, what Toei did to him be damned.

Could you please elaborate more? Are you saying "I dont care or want any gay characters at all" which again, is kind of a sad way to think or "I dont really lose any sleep over there not being gay characters,its just not that big a deal to me" which is a happier train of though. I dont really buy into the Tumblr "IF YOU DONT HAVE GAYS IN YOUR SHOW YOU ARE ERASING US". I wanted people to come here and share meaningful Dragon Ball related experiences with Lesbian,Gay, Bisexual or Trans experiences and memories

Again,this isnt for gay representation or militant whining. I just wanted a place(NOT one of those Safe Spaces) here on Kanzenshuu for that sort of thing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:59 am

ecrockedboston wrote:
The real question is "would it add anything of value"?
Why does it need to add some mythical value to justify its existance? What unattainable value has Kamesennin watching dirty magazines with bikini girls versus hypotethical Kamesennin brother watching dirty magazines with speedo guys?

Marron will never be a relevant fighter (or even a non-fighting character, she said about 5 words in the past 20 years since introduced into the franchise). Kuririn/18's plot in Cell arc was not about procreating to 'create' a fighter who will kill Cell. It was about romantic interest. Would've worked the same if Kuririn was into 17 instead.

There are multiple instances of heterosexual context in DB franchise (and other fictional stories) where procreation has no part in the content's reason for being presented. I thought stating the obvious wouldn't be needed but here it is - sexuality, romantic interests, love etc. do not equal solely procreation as you present it. Not in real life and thus not in fiction either (which is always based in real life). Of course you're free to think love/sex should ONLY mean procreation. But that's not how majority of the planet thinks or acts, gay or straight.
Last edited by Basaku on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: LGBT Dragon Ball Fanbase Experiences and Talk

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:01 am

But then we wouldnt have cute lil' Marron and I say that as a gay guy lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:02 am

I'm heterosexual. You're not. Awesome. Not a whole lot more to say on the subject, is there?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:06 am

Okay, that was kind of rude.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:25 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But then we wouldnt have cute lil' Marron and I say that as a gay guy lol.
You don't have to be straight to say "Man, that girl is pretty good looking", just like how you don't have to gay to say "That is one handsome man".
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 am

I see. Thanks for the tip. Glad you like participating in this conversation.

EDIT: I realized that you may may have meant I'm attracted to Marron,but I'm not. I meant that in a "Awwww such a sweet kid" way. I'm really sorry for assuming this of you but I had to make myself clear lol.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:39 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I see. Thanks for the tip. Glad you like participating in this conversation.

EDIT: I realized that you may may have meant I'm attracted to Marron,but I'm not. I meant that in a "Awwww such a sweet kid" way. I'm really sorry for assuming this of you but I had to make myself clear lol.
I was speaking a general sense :P
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:41 am

Oh Ok. Thank god. I was scared for a minute. But yeah.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:38 am

Thanos wrote:I'm heterosexual. You're not. Awesome. Not a whole lot more to say on the subject, is there?
Considering there has already been three pages of conversation on the subject, it looks like you're wrong. And needlessly rude. If you don't like a thread, you don't have to read it or post in it.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:02 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: I wanted people to come here and share meaningful Dragon Ball related experiences with Lesbian,Gay, Bisexual or Trans experiences and memories
But like others have said, what difference does it make? It's gonna be the exact same experiences and memories as a hetero's.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm

I guess is easy to fall for all those hot muscles <3

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:28 am

Thanos wrote:I'm heterosexual. You're not. Awesome. Not a whole lot more to say on the subject, is there?
Dude, that was pretty uncalled for. I get what you're saying, but you're not exactly adding to any discourse yourself.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Sorry for reviving a two month old thread but I thought the topic of LGBTQA characters in Dragon Ball interesting.

For one thing Dragon Ball is one of the few kids animated series where the main character is explicitly not heterosexual but asexual. Goku never expressed any sort of sexual desire. He married Chi Chi simply because he promised her when they were kids and he keeps his words even when he doesn't understand the promise. I don't think Goku would have mind if he married a dude if it was a promise. They obviously have sex (at least twice anyways) but you get the feeling Chi Chi initates it and Goku just goes with it. Goku cared about her and may love her like he loved any of his friends but he has no attraction to her. Asexuality seems to be a species wide thing as Saiyans seem to care more about fighting than romance and sex and sex is only for procreation purposes to make more warriors. We don't really know the full extent of what happened between Bulma and Vegeta that led to Trunks. Did Vegeta have a sexual interst in Bulma? Did he just want a child to carry on the Saiyan bloodline and she was there? Did he just need to get off? Or did Toriyama just want Vegeta to have a half-saiyan son and he only had a limited number of female characters? (the last one)

but we do know half-saiyans do have romantic desires (Gohan x Videl and Goten and Valace) I dont think Dragon Ball is the kind of series to do anything as controversial (for the 80s and 90s) as include a gay character but would have really changed anything if it turned out Goten or Trunks were a couple? I don't think so.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Gog wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Gog wrote:I've always been a fan of Freeza for literally walking around naked, all the time
Cell did the same thing.
Cell was covered with the armor. Freeza was one step away from his penis flopping out
Whatchu talkin' about? We see Freeza letting that thang hang out all the time. He even smacks Goku with it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Gog wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Cell did the same thing.
Cell was covered with the armor. Freeza was one step away from his penis flopping out
Whatchu talkin' about? We see Freeza letting that thang hang out all the time. He even smacks Goku with it.
So does that make Freeza the biggest out of them all?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Gog wrote:So does that make Freeza the biggest out of them all?
Yes. That's one of the many reasons Vegeta hated him (because his thang's too little).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Sorry for reviving a two month old thread but I thought the topic of LGBTQA characters in Dragon Ball interesting.

For one thing Dragon Ball is one of the few kids animated series where the main character is explicitly not heterosexual but asexual. Goku never expressed any sort of sexual desire. He married Chi Chi simply because he promised her when they were kids and he keeps his words even when he doesn't understand the promise. I don't think Goku would have mind if he married a dude if it was a promise. They obviously have sex (at least twice anyways) but you get the feeling Chi Chi initates it and Goku just goes with it. Goku cared about her and may love her like he loved any of his friends but he has no attraction to her. Asexuality seems to be a species wide thing as Saiyans seem to care more about fighting than romance and sex and sex is only for procreation purposes to make more warriors. We don't really know the full extent of what happened between Bulma and Vegeta that led to Trunks. Did Vegeta have a sexual interst in Bulma? Did he just want a child to carry on the Saiyan bloodline and she was there? Did he just need to get off? Or did Toriyama just want Vegeta to have a half-saiyan son and he only had a limited number of female characters? (the last one)

but we do know half-saiyans do have romantic desires (Gohan x Videl and Goten and Valace) I dont think Dragon Ball is the kind of series to do anything as controversial (for the 80s and 90s) as include a gay character but would have really changed anything if it turned out Goten or Trunks were a couple? I don't think so.
I don't think Saiyajins are all asexual or are even intended to be asexual. Goku, sure, but I've always thought Vegeta is very heterosexual. Also, there's no evidence to suggest Bardock and King Vegeta were asexual.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu