Is Goku to be blamed if anybody dies in the Tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is Goku to be blamed if anybody dies in the Tournament?

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:21 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Can I ask why fans don't like Goku being a hero anyway?
Sir, I do like that... Super Goku is too one-dimensional... My Goku is something more than this battle-junkie...
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:24 pm

HeroR wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
HeroR wrote: Actually, no one mentioned sealing Piccolo after he lost to Goku. Kami was going to outright murdered Piccolo.

And Toei did hero Goku too, especially in the movies.
Granted it might be a mistranslation on my part, but the manga I have right now has Krillin yelling at Goku for not sealing up piccolo right after piccolo flew off.

Toei for sure did make Goku more heroic, but didn't the dub turn up the hero dial quite a bit? Or am I imagining things?
So Krillin didn't mention this until after Piccolo left? Why didn't he mention this before when Kami was going to kill Piccolo? By that time, sealing Piccolo wasn't an option since he can reflect it. I don't think sealing would be on Goku's mind since Goku saw the Evil Containment Wave fail against Piccolo.

Goku was practically the messiah in some of the movies. Funi only took it to Superman levels during the Frieza Saga and then dialed it down afterward. Although he was still portrayed as more heroic overall.
The moment where Krillin yells at Goku is such a small panel that it seemed like just an after thought. Goku doesn't even acknowledge him and just keep watching Piccolo fly away. So yeah, sealing him was far away from Gokus mind.

You might be right. One of the few Superman moments I can think of from the top of my head is the Ally to good speech.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Why do people compare Goku to Superman? Superman is never obsessed with fighting. Goku has nothing to do with Superman except both can fly and fight villains. And there are thousands of other superheroes who can do that as well
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Why do people compare Goku to Superman? Superman is never obsessed with fighting. Goku has nothing to do with Superman except both can fly and fight villains. And there are thousands of other superheroes who can do that as well
Because Toriyama literally made his back story the same as Supermans

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm hoping this universe destruction rule is some sleight to make fighters battle at their absolute best. With their home universes at stake these characters will fight with everything they've got and with little regard for their opponent's safety or their own. Someone like Hit will have no problem instantly murdering someone with his assassin tech for instance. But then everyone who died fighting gets wished back, so it's okay. Kinda. Still a little screwed up.

If the destruction rule turns out to be real though. yes, Goku is to be blamed, he had ample warning about bothering Zeno. After all this is done Goku just might become one of my most hated characters of all time . Its hard to imagine the hero of the story could be so selfish. Even Vegeta in that very same episode showed us that fighting isn't always the most important thing, fucking Vegeta of all people. I hope someone gives Goku a nice smack in the face and a little heart to heart about how fucking stupid this all was . I mean what an ass, his death count might be the highest in all of fiction after this. Zamasu might have been right after all.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Colonel Silver wrote:I'm hoping this universe destruction rule is some sleight to make fighters battle at their absolute best. With their home universes at stake these characters will fight with everything they've got and with little regard for their opponent's safety or their own. Someone like Hit will have no problem instantly murdering someone with his assassin tech for instance. But then everyone who died fighting gets wished back, so it's okay. Kinda. Still a little screwed up.

If the destruction rule turns out to be real though. yes, Goku is to be blamed, he had ample warning about bothering Zeno. After all this is done Goku just might become one of my most hated characters of all time . Its hard to imagine the hero of the story could be so selfish. Even Vegeta in that very same episode showed us that fighting isn't always the most important thing, fucking Vegeta of all people. I hope someone gives Goku a nice smack in the face and a little heart to heart about how fucking stupid this all was . I mean what an ass, his death count might be the highest in all of fiction after this. Zamasu might have been right after all.
You mean higher than Zen'o who has already destroyed six other universes in the past or Future Zen'o who nuked an entire timeline? And Goku isn't even the one killing anyone. You can't just pretend Zen'o is there or he's some kind of force that doesn't count.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:11 pm

HeroR wrote:
Colonel Silver wrote:I'm hoping this universe destruction rule is some sleight to make fighters battle at their absolute best. With their home universes at stake these characters will fight with everything they've got and with little regard for their opponent's safety or their own. Someone like Hit will have no problem instantly murdering someone with his assassin tech for instance. But then everyone who died fighting gets wished back, so it's okay. Kinda. Still a little screwed up.

You mean higher than Zen'o who has already destroyed six other universes in the past or Future Zen'o who nuked an entire timeline? And Goku isn't even the one killing anyone. You can't just pretend Zen'o is there or he's some kind of force that doesn't count.
His kill count of innocent people will be the highest of any hero is what I should've said. And yes, Goku, will be at fault for the death of those people. His stupid selfish decision is what lead to these events.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 am

[quote="Colonel Silver"

His kill count of innocent people will be the highest of any hero is what I should've said. And yes, Goku, will be at fault for the death of those people. His stupid selfish decision is what lead to these events.[/quote]

Zen'o is the one at fault since he's the one actually doing the killing. Especially since Zen'o was using planet for balls long before Goku even got there.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:03 am

Saturnine wrote:A better question would be "how the hell would he infer that Zeno would impose such a drastic rule just from Beerus' and Whis' vague warnings?"
Because Goku has been told Zeno destroyed six entire universes on a whim? Because he destroyed Future Trunks' version of the Universe because he didn't like what it became? Really good hints that he doesn't exactly put a lot of value into universes.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:10 am

Low Tone G wrote:
Sir, I do like that... Super Goku is too one-dimensional... My Goku is something more than this battle-junkie...
*Implying that Goku was anything but a selfish, battle junkie.*

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:31 am

Mewzard wrote:
Saturnine wrote:A better question would be "how the hell would he infer that Zeno would impose such a drastic rule just from Beerus' and Whis' vague warnings?"
Because Goku has been told Zeno destroyed six entire universes on a whim? Because he destroyed Future Trunks' version of the Universe because he didn't like what it became? Really good hints that he doesn't exactly put a lot of value into universes.
He destroyed Trunks' timeline because Zamasu infected it like a plague. It wasn't even overkill since Zamasu was spreading into other timelines. And how is not putting a lot of value into universes equal, loser get their universe destroyed. The more logical conclusion would be Zen'o having death matches, not nuking the losing universe.
Kanassa wrote:

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:09 am

Gog wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:
It was always part of him but he also had sense. He could have fought Cell to the death for example but instead let Gohan take over.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:27 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Gog wrote:
Low Tone G wrote: Sir, I do like that... Super Goku is too one-dimensional... My Goku is something more than this battle-junkie...
It was always part of him but he also had sense. He could have fought Cell to the death for example but instead let Gohan take over.
And then gave Cell a sensu bean instead of giving Gohan an advantage by leaving Cell damaged from their fight.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Kanassa wrote:And then gave Cell a sensu bean instead of giving Gohan an advantage by leaving Cell damaged from their fight.
And then Cell goes full power and kills Gohan. Good thing he didn't listen to your pussy boy advice.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:33 pm

It's boring.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:40 pm

People being contrarians for the sake of it by saying Goku wasn't meant to be a hero despite that Goku even in the original manga was repeatedly shown as benevolent and heroic.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
People being contrarians for the sake of it by saying Goku wasn't meant to be a hero despite that Goku even in the original manga was repeatedly shown as benevolent and heroic.
Pretty much, he had amoral streaks but and wasn't perfect but not to the extent we are trying to retroactively portray him now

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:16 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:And then gave Cell a sensu bean instead of giving Gohan an advantage by leaving Cell damaged from their fight.
And then Cell goes full power and kills Gohan. Good thing he didn't listen to your pussy boy advice.
You mean what Cell did originally? :lol: and pussy boy advice? To what? Goku's brain dead decision? It would have been better if he had listened to this 'pussy boy advice'

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 am

Gog wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
You mean what Cell did originally? :lol: and pussy boy advice? To what? Goku's brain dead decision? It would have been better if he had listened to this 'pussy boy advice'
If you want Gohan dead then yes it's better.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:27 am

I don't know about others, but for me it's mainly

a) due to the disloyalty of such a portrayal to the source material
b) probably hatred by proxy of sorts, because I hate GT and Goku in GT was as heroic as they can get