I'm considering just reading the manga.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Re: I'm considering just reading the manga.

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Draconic wrote:You know you can just do it right? You don't have to contemplate or announce it to the world. It's just a cartoon, it's not like it matters, much less for other people.
This!
Also I would add if people get so worked up about a children's cartoon, they really need to think deeply about what they are doing with their lives.
Its really not meant to be taken so seriously. When I was still a kid watching Dragonball z I really didn't notice or care about things like characterization or plot, I just wanted to see awesome fights and cool characters because that was the appeal for me as a kid which is the intended audience of the show!
As an adult I can enjoy Super for what it is, a kids cartoon and there's nothing wrong with adults enjoying kids shows, some of it is better than stuff meant for adults, like I rate Dragonball Super more highly than the CW Arrowverse even though I follow all four of those shows as well.
I just find it really pathetic seeing people get so worked up about a kids cartoon, I mean if you are under 12 or even slightly older I can understand that you would take kids cartoons seriously but if you are older???Really, just get a life.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:43 pm

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I caught up all the way to the Black arc, and I catch some stuff every now and then, but I just got bored. The manga I'd mainly what I go to and I find myself more entertained with it.
Lujin_16 wrote:I never understand why poeple think a manga is better than a anime i mean in a anime you can do so much more than in a manga
I think that it goes both ways and that both the anime and manga mediums each have their own pros and cons. In this case, I personally think the anime has more cons and the manga has more pros.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:52 pm

You're absolutely free to read the manga, and even prefer it to the telling of the events based from Toriyama's outline, should you choose to do so. As I've said before: different strokes for different folks. I like the manga a lot for its more consistent art style, streamlined story and workable power scale. But it comes at the cost of actual character development or breather periods which helped the story feel more engrossing and less rushed. Yes, the manga has better pacing but the overall narrative, especially if you imagine a scenario where the anime doesn't exist, feels so half baked. Nevertheless, I think the manga and anime do well in complementing each other and cancelling out their weakness and playing up to their strengths and both mediums deserves their fair share of praise and criticism form what they've done well and what they haven't done well. Plus, considering that the manga is basically a promotion tool for the anime, the fact that it manages to handle some aspects of the story better than the anime is something that truly had to be admired for what is basically a glorified advertisement of a show that was blatantly created for the purpose of pimping out more toys and cards.

Just always remember this: you can like both of the manga and anime.

And as I've said before, whatever you think is better is entirely your opinion, and not any others.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:You're absolutely free to read the manga, and even prefer it to the telling of the events based from Toriyama's outline, should you choose to do so. As I've said before: different strokes for different folks. I like the manga a lot for its more consistent art style, streamlined story and workable power scale. But it comes at the cost of actual character development or breather periods which helped the story feel more engrossing and less rushed. Yes, the manga has better pacing but the overall narrative, especially if you imagine a scenario where the anime doesn't exist, feels so half baked. Nevertheless, I think the manga and anime do well in complementing each other and cancelling out their weakness and playing up to their strengths and both mediums deserves their fair share of praise and criticism form what they've done well and what they haven't done well. Plus, considering that the manga is basically a promotion tool for the anime, the fact that it manages to handle some aspects of the story better than the anime is something that truly had to be admired for what is basically a glorified advertisement of a show that was blatantly created for the purpose of pimping out more toys and cards.

Just always remember this: you can like both of the manga and anime.

And as I've said before, whatever you think is better is entirely your opinion, and not any others.
The best comment I've seen in a long time! Kudos :clap:
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Draconic wrote:You know you can just do it right? You don't have to contemplate or announce it to the world. It's just a cartoon, it's not like it matters, much less for other people.
The sage don't listen at words, try to find the reason they are spoken out.

It was only an excuse to, AGAIN, tell us that he doesn't like Super and to find someone that agreed.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:19 pm

The manga is good for explaining things that the anime leaves unexplained
- it solved the "two base" issue by reintroducing SSj God
- it explained SSj Rosé

It does also take some game-changing liberties compared to the anime, though, such as Trunks' empowered SSj2 form which honestly makes little sense - if anyone's good at figuring out that kind of stuff it's Goku. He should also have gone that route as a remedy to SSj3's problems. The fact that he didn't makes it not very believable.

But what the manga has got spot on is the art. SSj Trunks' hairstyle is actually equivalent to his FPSSj hairstyle from his return to the future after the Cell Games, while the anime chose to emulate his initial appearance instead. Also, the anime did a shitty job of conveying SSj2 Trunks, while in the manga the appearance of the form is the logical continuation to FPSSj, and clearly distinguishable from it. I wonder how Toyotaro will draw SSj Rage.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 pm

your not a real dragon ball fan

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:12 pm

gohan_black wrote:your not a real dragon ball fan
What is a real Dragonball fan and why are you keeping the definition away from us? I must have it all wrong if I think a real dragonball fan equates to enjoying Dragonball which he does.
Last edited by kinisking on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:12 pm

And you're think you're special enough to create a thread announcing that because...?

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:25 pm

kinisking wrote:
What is a real Dragonball fan and why are you keeping the definition away from us? I must have it all wrong if I think a real dragonball fan equates to enjoying Dragonball which he does.
well a real dragon ball fan. one who really have passion for it would never give up on a new episode. never. I've been a dragon ball fan for 15 years. i grew up with it. new anime fans who start watching dragon ball z now dont really understand it. your a casual dragon ball fan not a real fan

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:34 pm

gohan_black wrote:
kinisking wrote:
well a real dragon ball fan. one who really have passion for it would never give up on a new episode. never. I've been a dragon ball fan for 15 years. i grew up with it. new anime fans who start watching dragon ball z now dont really understand it. your a casual dragon ball fan not a real fan
Out of curiosity, how many years of Dragon ball experience does one need to have to upgrade from mini Dragon Ball fan to Ultimate Dragon ball Tenkaichi Budokai supreme fan? I'd like to know so I know when I can register for my fan card and start purchasing merchandise.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:36 pm

gohan_black wrote:
kinisking wrote:
No, everyone's a real fan as long as they enjoy something. This splitting of unreal and real just segregates the fanbase and creates unneeded animosity due to it's elitist nature.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
kinisking wrote: What is a real Dragonball fan and why are you keeping the definition away from us? I must have it all wrong if I think a real dragonball fan equates to enjoying Dragonball which he does.
Out of curiosity, how many years of Dragon ball experience does one need to have to upgrade from mini Dragon Ball fan to Ultimate Dragon ball Tenkaichi Budokai supreme fan? I'd like to know so I know when I can register for my fan card and start purchasing merchandise.
i never bought any merchandise ever. i do own all the good dragon ball video games. i do watch the series in japanese and in english over and over. you can be a relativly new fan and love it to death it is not something that depended on how much time your a fan of it. but yes if you dont get excited to a new dragon ball super episode. i mean after almost 20 years of nothing then yes. you arnt a real dragon ball fan. period. thats why i pointed out the 15 years. because a new fan cant understand the dragon ball hunger that the dragon ball fandom had for almost 20 years.

I'm an anime fan in general but i dont consider dragon ball in any level has the others. its way way above there. i guess the only ones who can understand it are maybe star wars fans who grew up in the 70's and 80's. they expirienced the same hunger for new content that the dragon ball fandom had.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Wow what a pointless thread is this
    can we enjoy both versions of DBS.The manga may have good artwork, amazing fighting choreography, goku characterization is great and is simple and grounded but at a cost of rushed pacing,odd power scaling and zamasu/goku black motivation is so underdeveloped regardless I enjoy both versions of DBS like what Lord beerus said the manga would feel so half baked without the anime and both versions could compliments very well by cancelling out there weakness
      sometimes I fell like I'm the only person who enjoys both versions.
      Mostly active on discord.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 pm

*you're*

And please don't question someone's love of the franchise simply because they prefer to read the manga instead.
      "Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SaiyanGod117
      Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Why not just read the manga and watch the anime simultaneously? Are you really ok with waiting a month just to enjoy Dragon Ball, when you can just slash that time in more than half by just watching the anime. There's also could be that one bad chapter that just doesn't click with you or maybe too convoluted . Than you would have to wait another agonizing month, hoping the next one is good. Sounds like watching anime, I know. Aside from the month long intervals.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 pm

The anime does have its shortcomings, as did Z. But I personally don't feel those shortcomings are enough to warrant boycotting the anime altogether.

TheMathemagician
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Yes, I talked about dropping the anime before but this time it's for real.

I don't want to hate the anime I really don't but it keeps giving me reasons to do so. Between the illogical power scaling, lousy characterization (Goku, Chi-Chi, Frost are prime examples), mediocre-to-bad animation, and blatant pandering... it's a real bummer. I know the anime adaptations were always flawed compared to the manga but Toei would learn from their past mistakes however they instead multiplied them by 10 fold.

The manga, on the other hand, suffers almost none of the aforementioned problem. It honestly feels much closer to Toriyama's original image than the cheap imitation of it Toei has going on. Akira Toriyama even said Toyotaro and his manga is the true successor to his heavy-hitting manga while he publically complained the anime.

But as a die-hard Dragon Ball fan, I feel obligated to anything with Toriyama's label on it (especially with people pressuring me to like the anime) but even I have limits.
      For the most part, Goku's characterization hasn't really been any worse than it has been in Z. Though, I'm not a fan of them legit regressing Chichi. You're also entitled to your opinion, and I respect it.
      "Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Kogu 87
      Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 am

The gr wrote:Wow what a pointless thread is this
        can we enjoy both versions of DBS.The manga may have good artwork, amazing fighting choreography, goku characterization is great and is simple and grounded but at a cost of rushed pacing,odd power scaling and zamasu/goku black motivation is so underdeveloped regardless I enjoy both versions of DBS like what Lord beerus said the manga would feel so half baked without the anime and both versions could compliments very well by cancelling out there weakness
          sometimes I fell like I'm the only person who enjoys both versions.
          You're not the only one friend, i feel the same way.

I feel like both mediums complement each other, and the best way to experience super is to go through both the anime and the manga.
          "Oh dear...."

MathSSJ
          Beyond Newbie

Post by MathSSJ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 am

TheMathemagician wrote:
          DBZAOTA482 wrote:Yes, I talked about dropping the anime before but this time it's for real.

I don't want to hate the anime I really don't but it keeps giving me reasons to do so. Between the illogical power scaling, lousy characterization (Goku, Chi-Chi, Frost are prime examples), mediocre-to-bad animation, and blatant pandering... it's a real bummer. I know the anime adaptations were always flawed compared to the manga but Toei would learn from their past mistakes however they instead multiplied them by 10 fold.

The manga, on the other hand, suffers almost none of the aforementioned problem. It honestly feels much closer to Toriyama's original image than the cheap imitation of it Toei has going on. Akira Toriyama even said Toyotaro and his manga is the true successor to his heavy-hitting manga while he publically complained the anime.

But as a die-hard Dragon Ball fan, I feel obligated to anything with Toriyama's label on it (especially with people pressuring me to like the anime) but even I have limits.
          For the most part, Goku's characterization hasn't really been any worse than it has been in Z. Though, I'm not a fan of them legit regressing Chichi. You're also entitled to your opinion, and I respect it.
          I'll go a step further, Goku's characterization, barring the bad gags, are idential in both manga and anime.

While said gags absolutely detract from him, Toei makes up for it by having him be more then a background prop for exposition dumping that occasionally comes in handy as a beatstick.
          Last edited by MathSSJ on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.