Should Goku stop being irresponsible jerk?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Should Goku stop being irresponsible jerk?

Post by coola » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:02 pm

One of main things i don't like in anime in general, is zero progress in character, ever since Piccolo Jr. arc, Goku become manchild who loves fight, and is ready to spare foe, so that he can fight him again, i was kinda hoping after Golden Freeza, where his actions resulted in Earth destruction, he would evolve, but sadly, he immediaely joke about teaming up with Vegeta and finish threat faster, i would really like Goku to evolve from that phase, he was honestly better when he was kid/teen, he was still naive, but at least then, when someone was evil, he would kill them.
Last edited by coola on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Should Goku stop being irresponsible jerk?

Post by TheMikado » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm

coola wrote:One of main things i don't like in anime in general, is zero progress in character, ever since Piccolo Jr. arc, Goku become manchild who loves fight, and is ready to spare foe, so that he can fight him again, i was kinda hoping after Golden Freeza, where his actions resulted in Earth destruction, he would evolve, but sadly, he immediaely joke about teaming up with Vegeta and finish threat faster, i would really like Goku to evolve from that phase, he was honestly better when he was kid/teen, he was still naive, but at least then, when someone was evil, he would kill tchem.
I'm guess you just watched episode 77? lol this exact argument is going on in like three other threads here, but maybe it would be a good idea to consolidate this particular grievance in one spot.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Should Goku change his entire personality and most interesting aspect of his character? No, or else you get GT Goku.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 pm

coola wrote:One of main things i don't like in anime in general, is zero progress in character, ever since Piccolo Jr. arc, Goku become manchild who loves fight, and is ready to spare foe, so that he can fight him again, i was kinda hoping after Golden Freeza, where his actions resulted in Earth destruction, he would evolve, but sadly, he immediaely joke about teaming up with Vegeta and finish threat faster, i would really like Goku to evolve from that phase, he was honestly better when he was kid/teen, he was still naive, but at least then, when someone was evil, he would kill tchem.
Actually, Goku began to evolve his sense of responsabilty right since the Cell-saga, when he didn't want to come back to life in order to prevent the future threats.

And ask anyone, but in the Buu Arc he took a real responsability and made a cool-headed judgement when left the world's fate on the next generation... That was my favorite Goku, when was he able to say no to beat Fat Buu!

But in Super he regressed to his 12 years old self... That's my humble opinion...
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
coola wrote: And ask anyone, but in the Buu Arc he took a real responsability and made a cool-headed judgement when left the world's fate on the next generation... That was my favorite Goku, when was he able to say no to beat Fat Buu!

But in Super he regressed to his 12 years old self... That's my humble opinion...
I would agree to that, except he was the one who released Fat Buu, and i think it was pretty douche move to push his sin to 2 kids, one of them was his own son, it wasn't like in Cell Saga, where Gohan rage was only hope to defeat Cell, it was his responsibility, because he didn't want make Vegeta-chan sad. :D
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

? He was responsible in the Saiyan arc, Freeza arc, and Boo arc. This really only a Cell arc and Super thing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Goku told Gohan to kill Cell and he killed Buu and Yakon. He also killed Freeza and Cold in Trunks' timeline so he clearly knew after Freeza tried to kill him that there are those who simply can't be redeemed like Piccolo and Vegeta.

It does seem like he forgot about that in Super cause he let Freeza go and that blew up in his face, litirally. He also didn't learn from that cause he didn't kill Black when had the chance.

I think the reason there isn't any major character development like the original is because the writers want the characters to have a set status quo throughout the entire story.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:57 pm

sintzu wrote:Goku told Gohan to kill Cell and he killed Buu and Yakon. He also killed Freeza and Cold in Trunks' timeline so he clearly knew after Freeza tried to kill him that there are those who simply can't be redeemed like Piccolo and Vegeta.

It does seem like he forgot about that in Super cause he let Freeza go and that blew up in his face, litirally. He also didn't learn from that cause he didn't kill Black when had the chance.

I think the reason there isn't any major character development like the original is because the writers want the characters to have a set status quo throughout the entire story.
Yes but he also gave Cell a Senzu because it would be unfair!! And he wasn't like he was gonna fight it was his son, Goku was extremely foolish and selfish there. Yes he killed Buu because he had no choice got all sentimental about it and started having flashblacks and then reincarnated him. That's not normal.

And he forgot about that because that Goku was from a different timeline. Future Goku doesn't exist he is dead, Goku didn't kill Freeza in this timeline Trunks did. Our timeline Goku didn't go down to Earth and reason with him. He last saw Freeza on Namek until his revival.

Goku hasn't learned from his past experiences he's not going to know.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:02 pm

coola wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:
coola wrote: And ask anyone, but in the Buu Arc he took a real responsability and made a cool-headed judgement when left the world's fate on the next generation... That was my favorite Goku, when was he able to say no to beat Fat Buu!

I would agree to that, except he was the one who released Fat Buu, and i think it was pretty douche move to push his sin to 2 kids, one of them was his own son, it wasn't like in Cell Saga, where Gohan rage was only hope to defeat Cell, it was his responsibility, because he didn't want make Vegeta-chan sad. :D
Yes, that is allright, but I don't really think that he was for the match with Vegeta, either. He, actually, was forced into the match when Vegeta turned into a serial killer yet again...
Last edited by Low Tone G on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 pm

I think Gokû's become too desensitized towards death; partly because the series itself has so many plot devices that can reverse it: all three sets of dragon balls, transferring life as old kai did for Gokû, Whis's time rewind.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: And he forgot about that because that Goku was from a different timeline. Future Goku doesn't exist he is dead, Goku didn't kill Freeza in this timeline Trunks did. Our timeline Goku didn't go down to Earth and reason with him. He last saw Freeza on Namek until his revival.
It's the same Goku. had Trunks hid during that situation then our Goku would've done the same thing that Future Goku did.

I know Goku made mistakes but Post Freeza to Buu Goku seems a lot smarter and more mature compared to Super's Goku.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:07 pm

If he stopped being an irresponsible jerk, he would literally cease being Goku. So I would prefer for that to not happen to him.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: And he forgot about that because that Goku was from a different timeline. Future Goku doesn't exist he is dead, Goku didn't kill Freeza in this timeline Trunks did. Our timeline Goku didn't go down to Earth and reason with him. He last saw Freeza on Namek until his revival.
It's the same Goku. had Trunks hid during that situation then our Goku would've done the same thing that Future Goku did.

I know Goku made mistakes but Post Freeza to Buu Goku seems a lot smarter and more mature compared to Super's Goku.
We don't know what happened though, Goku could have gone down to reason with him but regardless my point is it didn't happen Goku never experienced if had he done you'd have a point but Goku was making tracks to Earth got there and Freeza was already dead. That is a lot different to Goku actually being there experiencing what Freeza and his father were gonna do. It is not that same Goku as future Goku.

Also Goku did tonnes of dumb shit between, not telling Gohan he was the one that would be the one to defeat Cell, the Senzu thing. Or letting his fight with Vegeta purposely drag that lead to Buu's revival, then seemingly thinking he can talk Vegeta down and actually believing after all that Vegeta would co-operate. Then not killing Buu to allow this young generation to handle it, to rely the world on the shoulders of inexperienced kids is not a good call. Then not rescuing his sons and but Satan, he forgot Senzu in the Black arc? Not like he forgot his sons when the Earth was blowing up....

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:50 pm

I think Goku acting in such a flippant manner is what makes him such a unique and endearing character. He never really strays for what he wants deep down, and that's a challenge. Even if the path to that challenge endangers the lives of billions of people. I also really adore it when behaves with such a morally ambiguous attitude because it open avenues in the story that wouldn't be possible if Goku acted like your usual stand-up superhero-esque kind of protagonist. Plus, I love seeing the fandom get their knickers in a twist over Goku doing something so bluntly selfish and possibly destructive. It's just wonderful.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Draconic wrote:Should Goku change his entire personality and most interesting aspect of his character? No, or else you get GT Goku.
This, just this.

I'll never get why some people want Goku to be "generic shonen protagonist C", especially considering how his creator loves to follow his own tropes instead of general ones. Not to mention how many of those people gave Goku a pass for doing the exact same things in the original manga. Anyway, there's a lot of those generic heroes out there if that's more of one's thing.

MathSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MathSSJ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Araki wrote:
Draconic wrote:Should Goku change his entire personality and most interesting aspect of his character? No, or else you get GT Goku.
This, just this.

I'll never get why some people want Goku to be "generic shonen protagonist C", especially considering how his creator loves to follow his own tropes instead of general ones. Not to mention how many of those people gave Goku a pass for doing the exact same things in the original manga. Anyway, there's a lot of those generic heroes out there if that's more of one's thing.
That would require people branching out and searching for new and different media to consume. We can't have that happen, can we? Not in 2017.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Goku fucking pisses me off:

1)He is extremely neglectful of his family, and often will fly off to train without a single thought of his responsibilities as a father, He's incredibly selfish.

2)He takes his guard down in battle one example being when allowed himself to be incapacitated by the weakest Freeza soldier.

3) He indirectly caused Zamasu to go on that mortal purge, all because he wanted to fight Zamasu to test his strength.

4) He hired Hit on himself nearly getting himself killed in the process, making his family and friends worry about his safety, again HE IS AMAZINGLY SELFISH.

5) He told Vegeta this past episode "You're not the one giving birth, so why should it matter"? It shows Vegeta has become a better family man and at least has his priorities straight.

6) He completely IGNORED Beerus' warning. If you counter this by saying Beerus is the dangerous one because he almost wiped out a planet because of a pudding cup, I''ll counter that by gladly pointing out that Whis also warned him too about the dangers of Zeno.

I don't care what anyone says to try to defend this naive, gullible, selfish protagonist of ours, he is partly responsible for this tournament occuring, and if universes explode, blood will be on his hands too.

If I was a Z fighter, I don't care how strong he is, I'd slap him upside his damn head.

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Goku, its just that he really causes more harm than he realizes.
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think Goku acting in such a flippant manner is what makes him such a unique and endearing character. He never really strays for what he wants deep down, and that's a challenge. Even if the path to that challenge endangers the lives of billions of people. I also really adore it when behaves with such a morally ambiguous attitude because it open avenues in the story that wouldn't be possible if Goku acted like your usual stand-up superhero-esque kind of protagonist. Plus, I love seeing the fandom get their knickers in a twist over Goku doing something so bluntly selfish and possibly destructive. It's just wonderful.
Fully agreed with this.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:53 pm

omaro34 wrote:Goku fucking pisses me off:

1)He is extremely neglectful of his family, and often will fly off to train without a single thought of his responsibilities as a father, He's incredibly selfish.

2)He takes his guard down in battle one example being when allowed himself to be incapacitated by the weakest Freeza soldier.

3) He indirectly caused Zamasu to go on that mortal purge, all because he wanted to fight Zamasu to test his strength.

4) He hired Hit on himself nearly getting himself killed in the process, making his family and friends worry about his safety, again HE IS AMAZINGLY SELFISH.

5) He told Vegeta this past episode "You're not the one giving birth, so why should it matter"? It shows Vegeta has become a better family man and at least has his priorities straight.

6) He completely IGNORED Beerus' warning. If you counter this by saying Beerus is the dangerous one because he almost wiped out a planet because of a pudding cup, I''ll counter that by gladly pointing out that Whis also warned him too about the dangers of Zeno.

I don't care what anyone says to try to defend this naive, gullible, selfish protagonist of ours, he is partly responsible for this tournament occuring, and if universes explode, blood will be on his hands too.

If I was a Z fighter, I don't care how strong he is, I'd slap him upside his damn head.

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Goku, its just that he really causes more harm than he realizes.
If they haven't slapped Vegeta for any of his dick actions, they're not going to start now Goku. While they at it, they can slap themselves for not stopping the androids which led to hundreds of deaths in South City.

Blaming him Zamasu, why don't you also blame Trunks for breaking the time taboo that helped create Black? Or how about Vegeta who took too long to kill Freeza that directly led to the Earth being destroyed.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think Gokû's become too desensitized towards death; partly because the series itself has so many plot devices that can reverse it: all three sets of dragon balls, transferring life as old kai did for Gokû, Whis's time rewind.
But that literally the entire case.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.