We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:53 am

I have notice a lot of people saying if this arc is bad, they are going to quit the show.

I don't understand this logic after 78 episodes. The show isn't changing, it's still the same show with the same pros and cons. Expecting anything different will set yourself up for disappointment. I'm seeing all these theories and knowing the show I'm watching, my mind is blown.

I have enjoyed super for the most part except for Ressurection F, should have skipped it like the manga as it really wasn't needed. That aside, yeah I have had fun with this. Thats really all I want from dragon ball. If I wanted substance storytelling, I wouldn't be watching a show about martial arts monkey alien man.

This is just me though. So you don't have to listen, but I really don't like it when people get mad at a show for not changing despite giving you no reason that it will.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 am

You're 100% right. People seem to have very short memories with this series, and haven't figured out the cycle yet.

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations
3-Insane, misguided fan speculation.
4-"This is the make or break for DBS." (Has literally happened every time)
5-First few episodes are good, collective fanbase orgasm
6-Shit falls apart, nothing makes sense, too much padding, premise gets exhausted
7-SHIDA!!! (the newest addition to the cycle)
8-Arc ends, everyone's happy. Good filler episodes for a few more weeks.
9-NEW ARC ANNOUNCED WTF THAT'S CRAZY SHIT!!!

Mark me. With only a few variations, that will be DBS's cycle forever. Well, except that eventually the hype parts will die down.
Retired.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:14 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're 100% right. People seem to have very short memories with this series, and haven't figured out the cycle yet.

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations
6-Shit falls apart, nothing makes sense, too much padding, premise gets exhausted

Mark me. With only a few variations, that will be DBS's cycle forever. Well, except that eventually the hype parts will die down.
Haha, can i borrow this?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:19 am

Totamo wrote:Haha, can i borrow this?
Go nuts
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:36 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: "This is the make or break for DBS." (Has literally happened every time)
Fucking hell, you just reminded me how I want to bang my head against the wall every time someone says this when we're five fucking arcs in.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:52 am

Doctor. wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: "This is the make or break for DBS." (Has literally happened every time)
Fucking hell, you just reminded me how I want to bang my head against the wall every time someone says this when we're five fucking arcs in.
At this point I think it's a meme of some sort, there's no way people are still saying this unironically.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:54 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:At this point I think it's a meme of some sort, there's no way people are still saying this unironically.
Oh, but they are, occasionally even on the forum.
Retired.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:56 am

Totamo wrote:I have notice a lot of people saying if this arc is bad, they are going to quit the show.

I don't understand this logic after 78 episodes. The show isn't changing, it's still the same show with the same pros and cons. Expecting anything different will set yourself up for disappointment. I'm seeing all these theories and knowing the show I'm watching, my mind is blown.

I have enjoyed super for the most part except for Ressurection F, should have skipped it like the manga as it really wasn't needed. That aside, yeah I have had fun with this. Thats really all I want from dragon ball. If I wanted substance storytelling, I wouldn't be watching a show about martial arts monkey alien man.

This is just me though. So you don't have to listen, but I really don't like it when people get mad at a show for not changing despite giving you no reason that it will.
it did changed in the black goku arc from a terrible animated garbage to amazing

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05 am

Super is evolving, it's slowly turning from a huge disappointment to a smaller one..
People saying "it's a make or break this time" aren't actually saying it for the series but for their own patience in most cases, the only reason they stick around again is because some of it was actually good..
I disagree if I don't like super now I can't ever like it, why? Will trunks ending theme of asspulls be repeated everytime? Is it always a given they will definitely screw up? Can the writers not understand how the character dynamics work?

The show is slowly evolving into a better version of itself, and i will continue to look forward to it as long as my patience dosen't run out even if I don't like it now
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:08 am

gohan_black wrote:It did changed in the black goku arc from a terrible animated garbage to amazing
Not really. I mean, it was definitely a more traditional Z type of arc, and the visuals did improve from the very low bar that had been set beforehand. However, it wasn't anything to write home about, and the action episodes were black hole around which the event horizon noticed tremendous lapses in quality. Need I even mention the specific narrative issues that plagued it? I don't think so, I've done it countless times before, but it suffered from every problem (except tension) the previous DBS arcs did and more. Either way, amazing is giving it far too much credit.
Ki Breaker wrote:I disagree if I don't like super now I can't ever like it...
You can like it more, but more than likely, there will never be a significant reason to change your tune. DBS is DBS, unless there's some kind of groundbreaking shift, that won't change anytime soon.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:24 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:I disagree if I don't like super now I can't ever like it...
You can like it more, but more than likely, there will never be a significant reason to change your tune. DBS is DBS, unless there's some kind of groundbreaking shift, that won't change anytime soon.
There are always certain things that bother someone, for me those are situations where gohan is neglected, goku is complete moron and Vegeta gets body swapped with a guy who has no pride..

The Gohan situation is changing, goku is kind of an asshole instead of a moron right now let's see how it works out, and Vegeta is getting worse..

It's kind of an improvement for two aspects, enough to stick around a little longer, if they don't bring in new aspects I dislike that is..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:24 am

I agree with OP. We're 77 episodes in, and there are people that are still on the "make or break" train. Sure, Super COULD actually produce a somewhat different type of arc compared to the previous ones which could sway the "make or break" people into liking the show, but at this point, the tone and style of the show is practically set in stone. Super has a lot more fans than haters, so it has no reason to do a complete shift in style even if the naysayers are very loud and present on the internet.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:At this point I think it's a meme of some sort, there's no way people are still saying this unironically.
Oh, but they are, occasionally even on the forum.
People have been saying it since U6 arc, yet they are all still here. And what about all the people who were quitting after episode 66?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:13 am

gohan_black wrote:it did changed in the black goku arc from a terrible animated garbage to amazing
No, it was never "terrible animated garbage". Using hyperboles doesn't make it more true.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
gohan_black wrote:it did changed in the black goku arc from a terrible animated garbage to amazing
No, it was never "terrible animated garbage". Using hyperboles doesn't make it more true.
I think the idea he was getting at was that it started as a generally ugly show, which it was. It still is as far as I'm concerned, although the state of the animation has definitely improved.
Retired.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 am

Not really. It had highs and lows just like any other series. Specially when we are talking about Dragon Ball.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:50 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're 100% right. People seem to have very short memories with this series, and haven't figured out the cycle yet.

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations

Not only is this Future Trunks arc exclusive, I think you're self projecting a lot here.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am

kinisking wrote:

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations

Not only is this Future Trunks arc exclusive, I think you're self projecting a lot here.
It was tweaked to account for the FT Arc, but this is hardly exclusive to it. Steps 1-4, most of step 6, and 8-9 happened with the U6 Arc.

I don't think I'm projecting, either, but how would I know? What specifically do you think I'm wrong on?
Retired.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:03 am

kinisking wrote:

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations

I feel like i should farther add that it only fell apart on the last 2 episodes. Most people were actually hyped for the ending, and while i get the disappointment of a lot of people with the ending, most of the arc was pretty good.
The only episodes that i personally hated from the arc are episodes 66 and 64.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:06 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
kinisking wrote:

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations

It was tweaked to account for the FT Arc, but this is hardly exclusive to it. Steps 1-4, most of step 6, and 8-9 happened with the U6 Arc.

I don't think I'm projecting, either, but how would I know? What specifically do you think I'm wrong on?
The part that I bolded ( although I didn't mean to bold hype or shida ). I think you're wrong about too much padding, the premise getting exhausted and just overall shit falling apart. Even the nothing making sense is exaggerated.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.