We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am

zamasu121 wrote:I feel like i should farther add that it only fell apart on the last 2 episodes.
Just off the top of my head, Episodes 52, 54, 58, 59, 60, 64, parts of 65, and 67 immensely visually suffered as a result of action episodes that were in production around the time. If we're talking script-wise, it's a little harder to pinpoint, since there are problems in almost every single non-action episode.
Retired.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Re: We are 78 episodes in! If you don't like super now, you are never going to like it!

Post by zamasu121 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:15 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:I feel like i should farther add that it only fell apart on the last 2 episodes.
Just off the top of my head, Episodes 52, 54, 58, 59, 60, 64, parts of 65, and 67 immensely visually suffered as a result of action episodes that were in production around the time.
I was talking about the episodes overall quality. Episodes 64 and 66 are bad because they had badly executed asspulls

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 am

I just blame the fandom for hyping things up and saying stuff like this will best arc or this one will best arc the cycle never ends
Mostly active on discord.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:21 am

zamasu121 wrote:I was talking about the episodes overall quality. Episodes 64 and 66 are bad because they had badly executed asspulls
That was the least of episode 64's problems. Bad storyboarding, uninteresting script, bad pacing, ugly palette, etc.
Retired.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:32 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:I was talking about the episodes overall quality. Episodes 64 and 66 are bad because they had badly executed asspulls
That was the least of episode 64's problems. Bad storyboarding, uninteresting script, bad pacing, ugly palette, etc.
That is all correct, but without the mafuba asspull, the episode could at least have been passable.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
gohan_black wrote:it did changed in the black goku arc from a terrible animated garbage to amazing
No, it was never "terrible animated garbage". Using hyperboles doesn't make it more true.
Super was terrible animated garbage numerous times, at times it didn't even have animation.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 am

But you never know... this arc may be... surprisingly deep.

[spoiler]Nahh... that's never gonna happen with Super.[/spoiler]
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:47 am

I can say with a straight face that this arc will be the deciding factor of Super's legacy! 8)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 am

zamasu121 wrote:That is all correct, but without the mafuba asspull, the episode could at least have been passable.
Far from it. Without the Mafuba, it would basically have been a worse version of DBZ episode 269, which was 20 straight minutes of poor direction and trying to create the illusion of something interesting.
Retired.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:49 am

We've hardly had any "new" content anyways. U6 tournament was more of an introduction, and the Future Trunks stuff is just one arc. It's not enough to deduce a "formula" or "trope" of any sort. This new arc really will make it or break it. And it's gonna be huge as hell, you better believe it.
Even Mike said in the latest podcast that it's completely viable that it won't end this year, or at least till the end of this year.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 am

SansrivaaL wrote:I can say with a straight face that this arc will be the deciding factor of Super's legacy! 8)
Until the arc thing happens, and that becomes the thing that will define Super's legacy. :lol:
DBZ Macky wrote:We've hardly had any "new" content anyways. U6 tournament was more of an introduction, and the Future Trunks stuff is just one arc. It's not enough to deduce a "formula" or "trope" of any sort. This new arc really will make it or break it. And it's gonna be huge as hell, you better believe it.
All 4 arcs are a part of Super, like it or not. You can't disqualify that by calling it an "introduction" or a "retelling". Especially so, since the new arcs fall into the same narrative pitfalls that the first two did.

You don't get to say "This time for real" when everyone said the exact same thing about the retellings, the tournament, and the FT Arc over and over and over.
Retired.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:26 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:I can say with a straight face that this arc will be the deciding factor of Super's legacy! 8)
This is where I'm at, and I'm saying this because of how incredibly high the stakes are. The last arc threatened every time timeline and universe, this next arc will also threaten every universe direct with complete destruction. At this point unless there is a threat above Zen'Oh it will be difficult to do anything which is challenging. Not saying impossible, but the level it's escalated to encompasses the entire fictional DB universe and literally threatening the destruction of it. The stakes don't get much higher than that and will definitely be a definitive moment for the series.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Agreed with the OP. At this point you're either invested in the show or not. I feel if you're still watching then, like it or not, you're invested otherwise you would have dropped it.

I've known people who would stick with a show for about 3-10 episodes to see if it gets better. I've stuck with one until 23 episodes before I decided to drop it. I've never known anyone to be on the fence for 70+ episodes of anything.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Agreed with the OP. At this point you're either invested in the show or not. I feel if you're still watching then, like it or not, you're invested otherwise you would have dropped it.

I've known people who would stick with a show for about 3-10 episodes to see if it gets better. I've stuck with one until 23 episodes before I decided to drop it. I've never known anyone to be on the fence for 70+ episodes of anything.
Thing is, people here all of the legitimate complaints, all of the detractors, even people who don't like the show at all. So they'll find a new excuse every arc to say "Oh, that wasn't really Dragon Ball Super, That thing that we're hyped about now is Dragon Ball Super!" I've been tolerant of everyone on this, but quite frankly, it's ridiculous now. Especially since the FT Arc, which by all accounts should be the real DBS, is over, and the only things it did well that the others didn't was tension-building and staff allocation.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Super really only has around 50 something episodes so far, the 26 episodes of movie adaptions were just a waste and not new matieral.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:48 pm

precita wrote:Super really only has around 50 something episodes so far, the 26 episodes of movie adaptions were just a waste and not new matieral.
Excuses, excuses. It's still part of DBS, they made their own changes (albeit for the worse). However, it's still there, and we can't with any honesty write it off just because it's bad.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm

People talk about dropping the show all the time but then don't and come out it lame ass excuses like "this arc could be good", or "it is Dragon Ball I can't not watch it" "It is only 20 mins a week", why watch something that you dislike though? Surely you can save those 20 mins and any other subsequent time discussing it for something better and worthwhile. And the absolute worse are people who make a big deal about disliking/hating, we recently has someone here fill their ego out by announcing in a separate thread they are "dropping" the show.

alexhermit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by alexhermit » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:22 pm

One more Goku going bullet level feat and I'm sure even more fans are gonna drop the series completely. The writers have seriously taken a dump on the inconsistent absurdity of feats. Their trying to make Goku looks vulnerable, so fleshy and weak at times even though he literally survived a cliff fall when he was a baby right on his head. And I'm sure it was his biology that saved him, and not cause he already knew the concept of ki to be able to shield himself.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're 100% right. People seem to have very short memories with this series, and haven't figured out the cycle yet.

1-HYPE!!!
2-High expectations
3-Insane, misguided fan speculation.
4-"This is the make or break for DBS." (Has literally happened every time)
5-First few episodes are good, collective fanbase orgasm
6-Shit falls apart, nothing makes sense, too much padding, premise gets exhausted
7-SHIDA!!! (the newest addition to the cycle)
8-Arc ends, everyone's happy. Good filler episodes for a few more weeks.
9-NEW ARC ANNOUNCED WTF THAT'S CRAZY SHIT!!!

Mark me. With only a few variations, that will be DBS's cycle forever. Well, except that eventually the hype parts will die down.
Accurate.

And i agree, at this point, unless there's something that you like that keeps you watching, at this point if you hate super, like completely, like hating every single episode, you should drop it :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:34 pm

alexhermit wrote:One more Goku going bullet level feat and I'm sure even more fans are gonna drop the series completely. The writers have seriously taken a dump on the inconsistent absurdity of feats. Their trying to make Goku looks vulnerable, so fleshy and weak at times even though he literally survived a cliff fall when he was a baby right on his head. And I'm sure it was his biology that saved him, and not cause he already knew the concept of ki to be able to shield himself.
For god damn fucking sake, it was a fucking little scratch, Goku wasn't even really harmed, hurt or in pain, back then, in the manga, Goku complained when he got shot by Bulma cause it was painful, once he fainted after being shot in the back and i'm pretty sure he also got a little scratch in the last pages of vol 2 from the manga.
Like i could understand this if Goku was harmed in a similar way to Krillin, but this is ridiculous.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: