Western reactions to Super (Dub version) Funimation UGH!!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: Western reactions to Super (Dub version) Funimation UGH!!

Post by coola » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:09 pm

They might just make him more like TFS version of Goku, he is already dumb as bricks in subbed version, so making him little more dumber in English Funi dub shouldn't be a problem :) And we already had Nappa "I hate media" and Takahata101 recording voice clips for customable character in Nappa voice :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

kinisking wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
kinisking wrote:Goku was barely educated. He knows extremely simple math but not knowing the difference between 100k and a million really isn't that surprising. When would he ever need to use that in his daily life ? I think people have gotten to the point where they just hate whenever Goku is portrayed as even a tiny bit stupid.
Goku has ran 1 million km snake way.
He's gotten a spirit bombs from millions and billions of life forms and acknowledges this. He has had personal experience with very large numbers. That's the problem. Goku knows 1 million is way more than 1000. He's demonstrated it.
Just because he ran a certain amount or got energy from a certain amount of people doesn't mean he fully comprehend how big it is. I don't see the big deal. It's just a joke, and I doubt anyone took it as offensively as you did. You're so intent on super doing bad in Western countries but it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter if people prefer the old Goku, most people aren't going to stop watching just because of that. Heck, super is targeted at a new generation of kids that most likely don't even know the old Goku. Most people won't stop watching the show because of Goku's behavior, especially when most casuals already think he's a dumbass and a bad father due to the memes.
Yes it does, he understood the quantity in miles as he made estimates on how long it would take and how far he's come. He showed a demonstrated understanding of the number being greater than 1000. Shoot we at least know he knows what 1000 is because Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta all reference numbers over 1000. Stop making ridiculous justifications. It's a stupid joke, that's all. The problem isn't the joke itself it's that Goku is consistently the joke at the expense of his own intelligence. Further you never give proof of anything your state. The younger demographic IS NOT watching Super at the same rate the older demographic is. Even if that's the target in the US, it's not gaining most of its viewership from it, in fact the 8PM primetime showing is doing LESS in viewership than the 1130 older demographic. There's proof and stats that this is the case. Look, we keep coming to the point where I state facts and cite sources and someone throws out their "feels". Super isn't failing, but it's nowhere close to a run away success from one of the most popular animated franchises in animation history. It's doing as well as Attack on Titan and a bit better than Kai final chapters. And that's ok too.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:27 pm

coola wrote:They might just make him more like TFS version of Goku, he is already dumb as bricks in subbed version, so making him little more dumber in English Funi dub shouldn't be a problem :) And we already had Nappa "I hate media" and Takahata101 recording voice clips for customable character in Nappa voice :)
I swear, if they use TFS's jokes i will lose it, and in a good way :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

I really hate this dumbing down of Goku. He wasn't like this at all back in the serious arcs of the manga like the Freeza Arc.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Man, first you guys complain about FUNimation making Goku sound too heroic, now you complain about FUNimation making him sound too dumb.

Now, that's funny!
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:Man, first you guys complain about FUNimation making Goku sound too heroic, now you complain about FUNimation making him sound too dumb.

Now, that's funny!
It is ironic, but I'm the only one complaining right now. I am curious to see if there's anyone else who has watched all of the Subs and Dubs like I have for comparison reasons.

I feel like what I did was probably pretty rare and it may take a while for others to catch on as dub people start talking to sub people about different scenes.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:05 pm

I Did not like the dub either but it was probably because I was use to watching Super in Sub, I would usually watch Anime dub. But since I knew that dubs will take too long to release I decided to watch it in sub.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 pm

To be honest I didn't know 100 million was more than 100 thousand either.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Bullza wrote:To be honest I didn't know 100 million was more than 100 thousand either.
This joke isn't really funny.