Website Advice Please

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Website Advice Please

Post by Dayspring » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:45 pm

Hey. I've said this before and I'll say it again: I have absolutely NO website making knowhow (in layout terms), nor do I have funding for a payserver or some website maker program that you have to pay for in order to download it. Does anybody know a freeserver site (like geocities, etc) that has something simple to use (ie: geocities' pagebuilder) but will save any layout related things done to every page so I don't have to redo (ie: "measure" exactly where I dragged every little detail) for each page?

I hope this post made sense. I just want to make a simple website, but want the freedom to add pics as I want, as well as have no problems making a layout.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:24 pm

I think you want to be using Cascasing Style Sheets.

If they're too complicated though, then just do what people do in Word Processor's, DTP programmes, and so on...create a template.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:45 pm

........ah. For lack of a better emoticon: :?:

Please note, the only difference between me and a computer newbie is that the newbie has an excuse for his computer illiteracy.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:51 pm

Ahh. Okay.

Right, you have two choices. You can hardcode everything (you know that text file that comes up if you right-click on a page and select "view source? That's the code), or you can use a WYSIWYG, something like Netscape Composer, Frontpage, or Dreamweaver.

Lots of "proper" wed-designers are going to insist that you type everything out manually. They'll probably insist that you install Linux and listen to vinyl too. Learn a bit, but unless you have the time to sit down and become an expert at HTTP, then it's not really worth it.

There are probably books that'll teach you through the basics of web-design. Most people though pretty much got there by trial and error. Load up Frontpage Express (which should be on your computer), or download Mozilla Composer (which is free), and mess around with it. Remember, web-pages are often works in progress. Concentrate on getting a nice style that can be easily expanded.

Are you sure that your ISP hasn't given you some web-space? Who are you with?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:05 am

"ISP"? :oops:

I know what a WYSIWYG is, which is pretty much what I want to use, but geocities (who "I'm with") uses a program called Pagebuilder, which uses a click and drag function. Fine enough for me, but when it comes to making a layout I have to make sure everything is dragged EXACTLY at the same spot as on every other page. Another option via geocities is PageWizards, which is really crappy because it's one of those "set up a personal site in 6 steps" thingies, so the mainpage will only link to a max of 3 pages.

Craptacular.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:08 am

Dayspring wrote:"ISP"? :oops:
Internet Service Provider?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:09 am

Then use one of those programs I mentioned to you to make your pages, and just upload them to Geocities.

ISP= Internet Service Provider. You know, the people actually GIVING you your internet connection? AOL? One of the other US ones that I don't know the name of?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:14 am

A Canadian one called Videotron. (I should have remembered ISP... :? )
What does that have to do with anything though?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:20 am

Because they usually give you free web-space, that you can use for putting up web-pages. And they might have some tools to help you. Look around on their web-site.

And someone get Julian or Mikeyboy in here. They'll be able to answer DSs questions better. I'm off to bed.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:04 am

Dayspring wrote:"ISP"? :oops:

I know what a WYSIWYG is, which is pretty much what I want to use, but geocities (who "I'm with") uses a program called Pagebuilder, which uses a click and drag function. Fine enough for me, but when it comes to making a layout I have to make sure everything is dragged EXACTLY at the same spot as on every other page. Another option via geocities is PageWizards, which is really crappy because it's one of those "set up a personal site in 6 steps" thingies, so the mainpage will only link to a max of 3 pages.

Craptacular.
Here's what I do. Design your layout page first and call it Layout. Then, with each new page you want to make load the Layout page and edit it in the fashion needed, then save as whichever page it actually is. 8)
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:45 pm

Xyex wrote:Here's what I do. Design your layout page first and call it Layout. Then, with each new page you want to make load the Layout page and edit it in the fashion needed, then save as whichever page it actually is. 8)
Pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest. I started designing our current layout before I was proficient in CSS and Dreamweaver templates (remember, I made the layout a full year before it even went back online :P), so we just do the Save-As method for pages; it does ensure that all pages look the same, so that's cool.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:22 pm

That's what I meant! Template! You see?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:34 am

Ah, that makes sense. Xyex are you using geocities' Pagebuilder though? If yes, then how could you just copy+paste a page? If not, then I'll leave geocities.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:01 pm

Can't you access the raw html? Just copy and paste that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:29 pm

To put raw HTML would force you to use some HTML scriptamabob that's just fucked up if you want to add other things to it. It's a drag and click, so "itty bitty square A" represents the HTML that you added. Not too usedull if you want to add stuff to it. So far it sounds like I should just leave geocities. I DLed Mozilla but haven't installed it yet. I'll see if Mozilla is any better.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:23 pm

Dayspring wrote:Ah, that makes sense. Xyex are you using geocities' Pagebuilder though? If yes, then how could you just copy+paste a page? If not, then I'll leave geocities.
If you mean copy information you already have written and add it to the page... that can only be done throught the HTML editor sadly. That's the main reason I've not worked on any of my websites in some time. It's really annoying having to re-write everything.

From what I heard either Tripod or Angelfire are supposed to be pretty good. I forget which one's supposed to be better though.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:16 pm

http://www.geocities.com/daizenshuu_hope

Here's what I've done with TrellixWeb. Does that look easy (click one of the first three links on the homepage please) to navigate while still looking appealing? Also, I'd like some feedback on the last paragraph of the homepage, please. I lost my train of thought and it sounds like I'm just yelling at the visitors. :oops:

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Never mind, the links don't work properly. :x
I'll fix those later. Check the homepage anyway, please.