Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:57 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:As I told Doctor, you ain't gonna make me buy Trunks getting rage boosts and him not being able to combine that vast power and FAIL to kill the Androids
I mean... Gohan didn't.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm probably going to be repeating a lot of points here, but I prefer the anime. Now, to start off giving the manga some points - It's drawn well for the most part. The action scenes have better choreography and flow on average than the anime (Though when the anime puts their backs into it like Vegetto VS Zamasu, it gets really damn good), and overall the manga makes much more sense than the anime. But it does so at the expense of the enjoyment for me.

In the manga, the story shows that Toyotaro strength lies in drawing, not writing. You know how tensionless the ROF arc was? Yeah, that's how it feels for most of the manga for me. Especially in the Hit fight (And when I say tension, I don't mean as in having death overhead at all times, though that sure helps). The biggest gripe for me is the characters, they work in the story, they let the plot progress and don't really ever tempt the veil of OOC. Bu that's really all there is to them. They're there. They exist, but they never give me a reason to care.

When the Black arc was coming to a close, people were speculating that Trunks was going to sacrifice himself to save the day. Now, if that had happened in the anime, I would of been both impressed and sad because my favourite character just got permanently axed off. If it happened in the manga? I'd shrug and go ''Neat, Trunks did something". Because Manga Trunks represents the large problem of the manga when it comes to the cast. They're empty. They feel less like the characters I love, and more akin to an arrow with 'Plot' on it dressed up as them.

When reading the manga, I have little emotional connection to the story. I don't really care about the outcome of the fight, I don't have a giddy feeling to see what a character will do next, I don't have my moments of ''Fuck yeah!'' or ''Awwwww''. As opposed to the Anime, where Toei takes great pleasure in making that black hole I call my heart, and making it their bitch. When Bulma kisses Vegeta on the cheek, it's heartwarming. When Goku is taking care of Pan, it's dawww-worthy. When Vegeta mentors Cabba, I'm sucked in. When Goku goes Kioken against Hit, I'm pumping my fists like back in the Z days. When Trunks breaks down at seeing Present Bulma, alive and well, I feel for him. When Vegeta tells him to not lose hope, I can't stop grinning. And when Trunks delivers the killing blow, despite the bullshit attached (I still don't think it's as bullshit as people say), I'm cheering for him. And when Goku screams that he won't forgive Black, I'm there going ''You done fucked up".

It especially pissed me off in the manga when after Bulma dies (OFF-FUCKING-SCREEN!), Trunks barely seems to care and we get no moment to actually see the effect this situation is having on him. Toei handled this perfectly, getting us to see how broken he's been left, and how those around him help him pick up the pieces. It's a perfect moment of character development (On-Screen character development on Dragonball? That's new).
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:00 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I would be fine with these power-ups if they were earned but they're not. There's literally no good reason for Trunks to suddenly get rage boosts, least of all a new form and there's even less for him to know the effing Spirit Bomb, a technique he's never, ever seen before but somehow creates in a form apparently created by profound rage and anger.
If any Saiyan deserves rage boosts is FT Trunks, after everything he went through. The PTSD he had in beginning when he saw Goku showed how much his psychological state was affected.

And he didn't learn Genkidama. Everyone just subconsciously gave their ki to him. He didn't ask for anything and none of them knew what was happening.
The only ones that knew what was happening and deliberately gave their ki to him were Goku and Vegeta.
It was still bullshit it would've been okay if he and vegito worked together to take down merged zamasu instead of that asspull sword bs plus it doesnt make sense for trunks to get enough energy from a few humans and a worn down vegeta and goku to defeat a guy who was still in good shape.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:As I told Doctor, you ain't gonna make me buy Trunks getting rage boosts and him not being able to combine that vast power and FAIL to kill the Androids
I mean... Gohan didn't.
Which doesn't make sense either, especially because this is a Gohan who never lost his edge the way main timeline Gohan did during the seven years of peace.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

pacz360 wrote: It was still bullshit it would've been okay if he and vegito worked together to take down merged zamasu instead of that asspull sword bs plus it doesnt make sense for trunks to get enough energy from a few humans and a worn down vegeta and goku to defeat a guy who was still in good shape.
When the mafuuba was introduced, I was imagining this ending in Vegetto using it to slam Zamasu into Trunks's killing blow
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ShinTenshin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinTenshin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:
ShinTenshin wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:
It is better for you if you ask Herms. Everyone knows Toriyama is working in the anime, Toyataro is running wild by himself in the manga. Check Kanzenshuu website and you will find out this by yourself.
What did you say ? It was never stated that Toriyama works for Toei, it's a huge lie ! Tori says he write a script that Toei and Toyotaro adapt. Toriyama directly supervise the Manga and he's really happy with it but nothing is said about the Animé, after 2 years, that's really strange. Key17 even state how he was unhappy with the animé version !
Toriyama provides the story and the details for the anime and he said it was the continuation of the manga, so be careful when you call someone a liar. Ask to the owners of the website. Toriyama hasn't nothing to do with the manga plot, it is all toyataro.
" I never thought an artist like you would come along to draw the CONTINUATION OF MY STORY "

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... b-version/

This is the interview of Toriyama in DBSUPER MANGA.
He say that's the continuation of his Manga.
I'm really sorry if i hurt you My Friend, I'm waiting for your link with Toriyama interview for the Animé.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I mean... Gohan didn't.
Which doesn't make sense either, especially because this is a Gohan who never lost his edge the way main timeline Gohan did during the seven years of peace.
Well f.gohan didn't have anyone to help get stronger unlike trunks who went in the past, train with vegeta to the point he could one shot them.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I mean... Gohan didn't.
You know what my answer to all of this is?

[spoiler]Post-Freeza Dragon Ball was a mistake.[/spoiler]

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 pm

The anime is a mess, but at least I can stand it. The manga is just boring and disappointing at every turn. The manga has never made me feel hype. It's a damn flat line the entire way through. The anime has pissed me off and hyped me up. A bad book/movie/show is always better than a boring one. The Beerus fight was better in the anime. The Hit fight was WAY better in the anime. Goku's character in the manga is more consistent, but I don't particular feel anything about it. Look at anime Black compared to Manga Black. Manga Black is chump, a loser. No amount of making sense of his power is going to change that. It makes sense when you think about it dbz was never that strong from a consistency stand point but it had some shine to it. The anime doesn't have the same shine but at least it has a glimmer. The manga isn't even sparking. I like my stories to make sense, but they gotta be interesting too.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
pacz360 wrote: It was still bullshit it would've been okay if he and vegito worked together to take down merged zamasu instead of that asspull sword bs plus it doesnt make sense for trunks to get enough energy from a few humans and a worn down vegeta and goku to defeat a guy who was still in good shape.
When the mafuuba was introduced, I was imagining this ending in Vegetto using it to slam Zamasu into Trunks's killing blow
Exactly that could've been so much better instead of what we got.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I mean... Gohan didn't.
You know what my answer to all of this is?

[spoiler]Post-Freeza Dragon Ball was a mistake.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Super writers are a mistake[/spoiler]

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote: I would say the super manga is way worse than bleach or fariy tail mangas. What makes it worse is how overrated it is. I saw some people were saying it was better than the man One Piece manga in the forneverworld comment section once :lol:

The only character that was actually better in the manga in than the anime, was Goku. that is completely gone with this lastest chapter.

Is it even possblie to call Black and Zamasu characters in the manga? Doors are more interesting characters than their manga counter parts personalities.
Yeah its sad that some of the Spriggans like DiMaria, Brandish got more development than Black and Zamasu despite the Spriggan group being completely shat by Mashima. :lol:

I know Toei isnt perfect they did a great job making Black an entertaining villain, he was that good everyone overlooked the amount of bullshit zenkais he was getting. And it was a great moment when Vegeta beat him down on episode 63, it had a nice build up with the Briefs family putting their trust on Goku and none on Vegeta.

I wish Bulma also traveled to the future, without her, who wouldve fixed the time machine? And everyone wouldve been killed by Zeno.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:11 pm

pacz360 wrote:Both manga and anime are flawed as fuck.
Manga makes guy like hit, black and zamasu look weak while in the anime makes them intimidating,intresting and back up there hype.
While trunks asspull aren't there in the manga which is a plus sadly its makes him and mai look useless in there own arc.
Trunks asspulls had consequences in the anime, Ikari didn't amount to anything, Mafuba failed and caused the fusion and the Spirit Sword made things much worse by allowing Zamasu to ditch his physical body and literally take over the universe and required Zen-Oh to erase the universe.

I don't see how or why Trunks "asspulls" are so frowned upon when they didn't amount to anything and made the situations much worser.

But you are right Trunks is non existing it's all Goku and Vegeta moreso pandering in the Manga.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Manga makes guy like hit, black and zamasu look weak while in the anime makes them intimidating,intresting and back up there hype.
While trunks asspull aren't there in the manga which is a plus sadly its makes him and mai look useless in there own arc.
Trunks asspulls had consequences in the anime, Ikari didn't amount to anything, Mafuba failed and caused the fusion and the Spirit Sword made things much worse by allowing Zamasu to ditch his physical body and literally take over the universe and required Zen-Oh to erase the universe.

I don't see how or why Trunks "asspulls" are so frowned upon when they didn't amount to anything and made the situations much worser.

But you are right Trunks is non existing it's all Goku and Vegeta moreso pandering in the Manga.
The reason it get frowned upon due to lack of explanation.
I don't hate trunks getting ikari but the lacking explanation irks the hell outta me.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:24 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I don't hate trunks getting ikari but the lacking explanation irks the hell outta me.
I mean this is the same franchisee where we still haven't got an actual explanation for SS3 lol.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm

The manga's something I'm able to stomach revisiting, and thus is something I find actually worth buying.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Trunks asspulls had consequences in the anime, Ikari didn't amount to anything, Mafuba failed and caused the fusion and the Spirit Sword made things much worse by allowing Zamasu to ditch his physical body and literally take over the universe and required Zen-Oh to erase the universe.

I mean this is the same franchisee where we still haven't got an actual explanation for SS3 lol.
Goku accomplished the form in the afterlife while dead for seven years while trunks accomplished his form less than a day

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Trunks asspulls had consequences in the anime, Ikari didn't amount to anything, Mafuba failed and caused the fusion and the Spirit Sword made things much worse by allowing Zamasu to ditch his physical body and literally take over the universe and required Zen-Oh to erase the universe.

The issue is the different things that Trunks does in the anime that have no real consequence or relevance. The fact that it's not ok the manga implies it's not part of the outline. So it's very weird to give Trunks all this random stuff when it's not part of the being important part of the plot. That feels more pandering for the sake of relevance than anything. I thought it was generally understood around here that the best way to tell if it's part of the outline or an addition is if it's in both. It seems like there's plenty the anime added outside of the outline from using our standard method of deduction.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Define good shape.

Merged Zamasu took a Father-Son Garlic Gun, Goku's Kamehameha, Goku's Kaioken kick, got beatdown by SSB Vegetto who was was about to give him the final blow and SSI FT Trunks with the power of everyone beat him. When SSI FT Trunks appeared, Merged Zamasu was already worn down.

On top of that, after Goku's Kaioken kick Merged Zamasu started having a big mental breakdown. And Miki's flawless performance helped bring that to life in such a surprising way.

So yeah, Zamasu was already damaged both physically and psychologically. He was in good shape in the previous episode...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Both are garbage but at least the anime has entertained me at times. The manga on the other hand is so goddamn boring.