Dragonball GT DVD release pre green bricks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Dragonball GT DVD release pre green bricks

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Did you not actually read what I said?
I read you, but I wasn't responding to the bulk of your post, only the part that I quoted. I didn't have a problem with the rest of it.
Retired.

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Screencaps don't work for comparisons like this. You can't trust me to give good screencaps, because you could argue I'm using best case scenarios, and I can't trust you to give good screencaps, because I could argue you're using worst case scenarios.
Plus, as many -- including myself, multiple times -- have said, it looks better in motion.
But they don't look good in motion. These problems are noticeable in motion, in fact that's pretty much how screencaps are gathered: something that looks so bad while watching a program that you have to isolate what that flaw is. Maybe they look good to you, but your "experience" watching doesn't trump the objective fact that these discs are ragged.
Robo4900 wrote:That's exactly what I've been arguing all along; if you don't notice/care about this stuff, then it's not a problem. This isn't an objective thing that can be argued. It's like trying to decide if it's worth buying lossless music; people who don't notice the difference are fine with lossy, and no matter how many objective points you bring forward to contest this, ultimately, it's a matter of personal taste.
Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not a problem. By that logic, the millions who bought the Orange Bricks must not have a problem with noticing those discs' problems with cropping and grain removal, and those are pretty objective flaws everyone here agrees on being an issue. Just because people enjoy a mediocre product doesn't make said mediocre product not mediocre. You can scream at the top of your voice IT'S NOT A PROBLEM BECAUSE *I* DON'T CARE all day long, that doesn't change the fact these discs look like butt.
Robo4900 wrote:I think the best solution is: If you watch subbed, buy a GT single for cheap. Watch an episode. If you're fine with watching it like this, continue like this. If the compression bothers you, get the bricks.
I don't see what's so hard about this.
Hey, I'm not telling people what to buy, just proving what the quality is like when you get the singles. If you don't mind obvious substandard compression, get the singles, no one is stopping you and I'm not in charge with telling you how to spend your money.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The Funi OP is sourced from the creditless tape, which looks terrible
Just a nitpick here: it's actually not bad quality at all, it's just ridiculously off-colour.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Puto wrote:Just a nitpick here: it's actually not bad quality at all, it's just ridiculously off-colour.
True, although the overall look isn't that great; for example, you can see some dot crawl, which wouldn't be there if it was from the original film.
Still, point taken. :mrgreen:
Vorige Waffe wrote:But they don't look good in motion. These problems are noticeable in motion, in fact that's pretty much how screencaps are gathered: something that looks so bad while watching a program that you have to isolate what that flaw is. Maybe they look good to you, but your "experience" watching doesn't trump the objective fact that these discs are ragged.
As I've been saying all along this is a subjective matter. Which means, some people will notice it, and some people won't notice it. In future, actually pay attention to what I'm saying, or don't respond at all, please.
Vorige Waffe wrote:Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not a problem. By that logic, the millions who bought the Orange Bricks must not have a problem with noticing those discs' problems with cropping and grain removal, and those are pretty objective flaws everyone here agrees on being an issue. Just because people enjoy a mediocre product doesn't make said mediocre product not mediocre. You can scream at the top of your voice IT'S NOT A PROBLEM BECAUSE *I* DON'T CARE all day long, that doesn't change the fact these discs look like butt.
That's an entirely different scenario.
Poor encoding results in some blocky artefacts that some people will notice. Orange bricks crop off 30% of the image. You can't not notice that.
You're claiming this is about my personal tastes, but it isn't, it's about the fact that not everyone can see macroblocking like that. You've spent this whole discussion assuming your opinion trumps all, while I've been spending the whole discussion trying to tell you that, in fact, some people see things differently from you.
Vorige Waffe wrote:Hey, I'm not telling people what to buy, just proving what the quality is like when you get the singles. If you don't mind obvious substandard compression, get the singles, no one is stopping you and I'm not in charge with telling you how to spend your money.
Sure, and that would be fine, but you're deliberately putting things in a way that de-incentivises people from buying the singles.

Here's how I phrase things: The bricks have DVNR that blur things, which might bother you; and the singles have some poor compression, which might bother you. Look at both and make up your own mind.
And here's how you've been phrasing things: The singles have awful compression that ruins everything. Never buy them. If you can't see the compression, your opinion is wrong.

But if you're willing to go with an agree to disagree, so am I. That was basically what I was going for the entire time anyway.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 pm

I heard some people say that the Madman R4 singles look better than Funi's R1 singles. Combine that with Avisynth and the Srestore script to reverse the NTSC to PAL conversion, and you'd definitely get a picture that is better than the R1 singles macroblocking. I'd imagine that would be most useful for GT (said to use a proto-Dragon Box transfer which can be useful for the kind of thing mentioned here) and for the movies (open matte transfer).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I heard some people say that the Madman R4 singles look better than Funi's R1 singles. Combine that with Avisynth and the Srestore script to reverse the NTSC to PAL conversion, and you'd definitely get a picture that is better than the R1 singles macroblocking. I'd imagine that would be most useful for GT (said to use a proto-Dragon Box transfer which can be useful for the kind of thing mentioned here) and for the movies (open matte transfer).
Most people aren't going to want to bother, though. Many of us would much rather prefer whatever's best out of the box. If we're going to go through all the trouble, you may as well drop $20 on the bricks (yes, the entire series is that cheap now) and find a deal on the GT Dragon Box, then combine them with Dragon Radar
Retired.