So, how long do you think this tournament arc will take?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

So, how long do you think this tournament arc will take?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Given that it's a battle royale, (which consists of one single fight between all characters that participate in it)
I can't see it lasting any longer than 5 episodes tops.

What do you guys think? How many episodes do you think it would take up?

kayojin

Re: So, how long do you think this tournament arc will take?

Post by kayojin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:19 pm

a lot of episodes will be used for establishing all of the new characters from the different universes. the battle royale itself shouldn't be more than 5-10 episodes

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:33 pm

The pacing's been so slow I expect this to last at least until August.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Except a lot of episodes, they are taking their time with this, as they should have till now..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:14 pm

I will subscribe to the 3 episode theory of the actual ToP given the 48 min comment and given Super's production 3 eps seems reasonable. I expect long build up and whether we get something post tournament that is still part of the arc and not SoL remains to be seen but I think we will so much potential for them not to.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:34 pm

I expect 10 episodes, with one for the beginning of the tournament and 2 for the ending. Basically I'm expecting it all to be over or end by episode 100.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:37 pm

When the tournament starts, I expect around 4-5 episodes of the royal, and then 2 episodes covering the finals of the tournament. This is because I'm assuming that by the end of the Ryal, we'll still have some characters left to exploit a loophole in the rules so we can have a non-crowded final match.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Two to three episodes for the battle royale then it leads into something else immediately, either it turns into a normal tournament because multiple universes have the same number of people left at the end of the 48 minutes, or bad shit goes down.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:27 pm

I think it will last a lot (30+ episodes) just because of the fact we got an entire opening for this new arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:39 pm

With how each episode seems to subtract an hour from the 40 hours wait period, it's not too crazy to think that we could actually be in for ~40 episodes even before the actual tournament starts.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Except a lot of episodes, they are taking their time with this, as they should have till now..
This.

Also not to offend any body but that three episode theory makes zero sense given that that almost 90% of the opening is just the tournament arena. Toei who only changes the opening for One Piece after around like 50 would not spend that much on a opening that irrelevant to the arc.

They just changed the opening for super after like 75 episodes and they wouldn't do it for something that will last like four episodes only. :lol:

And 50 perecnt of it is just Goku vs Jiren which will be over two episodes long. Goku vs Beerus was around five episodoes, Goku vs Freeza was like four episodes long, Goku vs Hit was three episodes long,The merged Zamasu fight was three episodes long and all of these were the final fights of the each Super arc.

Also look at how slow they are going with this arc. That should already tell you that royal should already tell you this arc is gonna be long.

The upcoming episode 85 looks to be entirely focused on the new characters, besides just a little fight with Goku and Buu, and Gohan just meeting Piccolo.

And the episode after is just a episode focused on 17.
Last edited by ChaosLordBrandon on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:With how each episode seems to subtract an hour from the 40 hours wait period, it's not too crazy to think that we could actually be in for ~40 episodes even before the actual tournament starts.
And we are talking about anime time here :lol: .

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:45 pm

It's hard to say. It's the main event and if we're getting some build up you would think that it would have quite a few episodes. But with the whole thing being so short (48 minutes) I have a hard time believing it will be more than 4 or 5. I know dragonball time goes however fast it wants to but Supers pacing is a little faster than any of the previous series so tough it's to predict.

If I have to give an answer anyway, I would take a guess at maybe 5. Maybe 6. Assuming all goes as just a normal tournament and nothing happens to disrupt it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:54 pm

People are paying way too much attention to the 48 mintues thing.

Did you know the entire Buu saga too place in around two days at most? and was the longest arc in db?

Fives mintues on Namek.

The entire Marinefold Arc of One Piece to place within like a hour and if we just count the time since the White Beard Pirates got there and count when it ended when Shanks said it was over.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:People are paying way too much attention to the 48 mintues thing.

Did you know the entire Buu saga too place in around two days at most? and was the longest arc in db?

Fives mintues on Namek.

The entire Marinefold Arc of One Piece to place within like a hour and if we just count the time since the White Beard Pirates got there and count when it ended when Shanks said it was over.
well the reason why people think this battle Royale Will be short,is because the concern of the animation,we all know DBS have a rough schedule for the animation,so maybe that's the Reason why people think this will last for 3 episode, but I hope it last for 5 episode, and I'm hoping my prediction happen
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36761&p=1271478#p1271478 just to make this a bit longer, and is just Make sense, since Those universe have decent screetime before the battle Royale, and we will have two matches instead of one, and the tie breaker could also Last for two eps
Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm

I'd say 10-15 episodes. They're gonna milk the shit out of this Battle Royal.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'd say 10-15 episodes. They're gonna milk the shit out of this Battle Royal.
Question is, can they deliver good looking fights all that time..
It's fine if they use tricks to give the illusion of motion, but even with that, how probable is this
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'd say 10-15 episodes. They're gonna milk the shit out of this Battle Royal.
It's fine if they use tricks to give the illusion of motion, but even with that, how probable is this
A huge part of the episodes will be nothing but talking.

Don't know why there seems to be a thing that all of tournament episodes will be 100% percent fighting. most of the Bergamo vs Goku episode was just the people watching talking.

Not to mention things like backstories or just people sitting there talking about how their techniques work like in all shounen anime.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:15 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
A huge part of the episodes will be nothing but talking.

Don't know why there seems to be a thing that all of tournament episodes will be 100% percent fighting. most of the Bergamo vs Goku episode was just the people watching talking.

Not to mention things like backstories or just people sitting there talking about how their techniques work like in all shounen anime.
Totally forgot how it's easy as hell to talk while people are attacking you form all sides, the rof fight was the most talkative fight in the entire series and not the most action packed like a group fight should be right?

Seriously though, when it's a Battle Royale who the hell are they gonna talk to most of the time in the episodes? Plans discussion cam only go so far, continuing this for 15 episodes is no joke..
Even if they talk half the episode away that still is a huge burden, no one thinks it will be 100℅ fighting, but you have to be stupid to not get how big of a deal 15 episodes of battle royal is

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:28 pm

It would be nice to get a sense of just how big the platform will be. City sized? Continent? Planet? Can't really make real predictions without knowing that; the scenarios I envision change greatly depending on that.