Why do Vegeta fans get mad whenever Goku gets a kill?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Why do Vegeta fans get mad whenever Goku gets a kill?

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 am

They could very easily allow another character to take the spotlight for an arc and it won't damage the series or Goku. It's all down to choice.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am

I feel like it goes with the mentality that a lot of people let the destination outweighs the journey, especially in the Dragon Ball fandom. Vegeta has a VERY meaty role in every arc he's in but too many people ignore that and focus on how he's never gotten the main kill.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 am

What's the correlation between getting the kill and the character being on the limelight?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:57 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:What's the correlation between getting the kill and the character being on the limelight?
The issue is who is the guy who ultimately saves the day? I think the complaint is not matter the circumstances Goku ultimately has to be behind the reason the world is saved. Even if one character doesn't all the heavy lifting Goku can swoop in in the last second or telepathically phone on his spirit to save the day. Basically no charcter in the series s allowed to kill the big bad solely on their own except Goku. I don't care about it, but others do.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 pm

People in this fandom will get mad at anything. I want Vegeta to play an augmented role and always be relevant but some people seem to want Dragon Ball to be "The Vegeta Show" rather than "The Goku and Vegeta show." I like Vegeta but he gets on my nerves sometimes due to his sheer stupidity in many fights.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:16 am

Vegeta did carry the champa arc I felt. Sure he didn't defeat Hit, but he had the most fights and defeated half the team himself. Even giving advise to Cabba while fighting.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 am

People need to write more fanfics or do fanmangas if they want Vegeta to get the kill.

I kinda like to reference Guardians of the Galaxy (movie). Everybody helps Quill hold the Infinity Stone, but it's Quill who opens his hand to let loose the blast that kills Ronan while everyone else supports him.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Godszgift

Post by Godszgift » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:05 pm

It's not just vegeta fans tbh. Ik gohan fans like myself that get upset too. I know Goku is the main character but Vegeta and everyone else is seen as the butt monkey at times. The black fight is one of Vegeta recent major villan beatdowns. Frieza doesn't count because frieza destroyed the entire world along with him... so yeab

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Godszgift wrote:Frieza doesn't count because frieza destroyed the entire world along with him... so yeab
Time was reset so the destroying part didn't happen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Vegeta's kill count in the Namek Arc is a gravesite.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:51 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:What's the correlation between getting the kill and the character being on the limelight?
The issue is who is the guy who ultimately saves the day? I think the complaint is not matter the circumstances Goku ultimately has to be behind the reason the world is saved. Even if one character doesn't all the heavy lifting Goku can swoop in in the last second or telepathically phone on his spirit to save the day. Basically no charcter in the series s allowed to kill the big bad solely on their own except Goku. I don't care about it, but others do.
But the only "big bad" that Goku has killed on his own is King Piccolo. Piccolo kills Raditz, Vegeta kills Nappa, Freeza kills Vegeta, Future Trunks kills Freeza, Android 17 kills Dr Gero, Cell kills Android 17, Gohan kills Cell, and it took a joint effort of Goku, Vegeta, Fat Boo, Mr Satan, all of Earth, Kibitoshin, the Namekians, and Dende to kill Majin Boo.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Goku defeating Freeza on Namek counts as a "kill" for me even though Freeza didn't die, simply because that's what he intended.

Also I find it amusing that with the new movie/Super, Goku actually does kill Freeza himself once and for all. Always found it weird Freeza's final death came from Future Trunks of all people, a character he had no relation with

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:26 pm

He didn't kill Freeza (which is ridiculous), but he defeated him in decisive fashion. I think you're being too literal regarding the issue of death blows.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 pm

He intended to kill Freeza though, and if Toriyama ended the manga after the Namek saga it would have been considered a death for him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 pm

precita wrote:He intended to kill Freeza though, and if Toriyama ended the manga after the Namek saga it would have been considered a death for him.
But at the end of the day, Freeza didn't die at the hands of Goku. Future Trunks killed him.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm

precita wrote:Always found it weird Freeza's final death came from Future Trunks of all people, a character he had no relation with
He was Vegeta's son and King Vegeta's grandson. Both characters couldn't do it but their son did. I find it fitting that someone from the Vegeta blood line was the one to kill him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:12 pm

But he has the highest kill count... most of them are off screen though. But on screen, he has a lot of kills...
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
precita wrote:He intended to kill Freeza though, and if Toriyama ended the manga after the Namek saga it would have been considered a death for him.
But at the end of the day, Freeza didn't die at the hands of Goku. Future Trunks killed him.
But Freeza isn't that arc's big bad. Goku had already defeated him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.