So I just realized Piccolo never killed anyone in DBZ after Radditz/Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So I just realized Piccolo never killed anyone in DBZ after Radditz/Goku

Post by precita » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm

After Piccolo killed Radditz/Goku at the beginning of DBZ, he never really killed anyone else for the rest of the series.

He dies against Nappa, by the time he shows up in the Namek saga all of Freeza's henchmen are dead. He fights Freeza for a little bit and that's it. In the Cell arc he fights Dr. Gero and 17 but doesn't kill either. He loses to the Cell Jr's like everyone else. Then in the Buu saga he doesn't do any of the major fighting, he almost kills Babidi by slicing him in half but Buu revives him.

While Piccolo did kill some enemies in the movies, and I think he killed some of Garlic Jr's henchmen (I don't remember for sure, correct me if I'm wrong), he has no kills for the rest of the series. So why do people make such a big deal out of "kills" when outside of Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, etc...most of the other characters barely have any kills at all?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: So I just realized Piccolo never killed anyone in DBZ after Radditz/Goku

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Who's making a big deal about Kills?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:28 pm

LordCrumb wrote:Who's making a big deal about Kills?
Vegeta fans who want to see him kill a main villain.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

He killed a Saibaman that tried to attack Gohan.That's something...I guess.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

You could say he killed Nail, I guess. Maybe Kami.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:42 pm

He killed everyone on Earth after telling Super Boo to kill everyone on Earth.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 pm

That's more than what MOST of the cast can say! AND he killed Goku, take that Vegeta!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Pretty normal. Piccolo never sounded like a guy who would kill someone without any good reason to do so after training with Gohan and especially after fusing with Kami.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 am

Unless it was off-screen/panel, we actually don't know that he killed anyone at all throughout the entire series, even before Raditz/Goku. I'm referring, of course, to Piccolo Jr., specifically. Piccolo Sr. killed plenty.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Hell Piccolo never even won a fight in the manga after he killed that Saibaman

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:50 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Hell Piccolo never even won a fight in the manga after he killed that Saibaman
Well, he put up an even match against Dr. Gero and 17, so it doesn't look like he was always losing.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:21 pm

precita wrote:While Piccolo did kill some enemies in the movies, and I think he killed some of Garlic Jr's henchmen (I don't remember for sure, correct me if I'm wrong)
Let's see, across the movies Piccolo kills...

1) Sansho (the large, brutish Garlic Jr henchman)
2) One Bioman (Dr. Wheelo's Saibaimen knockoffs)
3) Dorodabo (Slug's Dodoria-wannabe demon henchman)
4) All three of Coola's Kikosentai (Dore, Naise, Sauza)

So if we take the movies into the tally, that adds an extra 6 kills to Piccolo's body count.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
precita wrote:While Piccolo did kill some enemies in the movies, and I think he killed some of Garlic Jr's henchmen (I don't remember for sure, correct me if I'm wrong)
Let's see, across the movies Piccolo kills...

1) Sansho (the large, brutish Garlic Jr henchman)
2) One Bioman (Dr. Wheelo's Saibaimen knockoffs)
3) Dorodabo (Slug's Dodoria-wannabe demon henchman)
4) All three of Coola's Kikosentai (Dore, Naise, Sauza)

So if we take the movies into the tally, that adds an extra 6 kills to Piccolo's body count.
He takes out a ton of Metal Cooler's robots, if I recall correctly. If we're counting the Bio-men, we might as well count those.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Who killed Garlic Jr's henchmen in the Garlic Jr. saga? I remember Gohan killing at least two of them, I can't recall if he killed them all or if Piccolo killed one of them.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Personally from my perspective, everytime an enemy comes, Piccolo doesn't seem strong enough to kill said enemy. His last chance at killing someone were the Freeza soldiers, or maybe even Sorbet. But he hasn't been getting any spotlight lately, so it makes sense. The saiyans literally took over the story.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Yasai9001 wrote:Personally from my perspective, everytime an enemy comes, Piccolo doesn't seem strong enough to kill said enemy. His last chance at killing someone were the Freeza soldiers, or maybe even Sorbet. But he hasn't been getting any spotlight lately, so it makes sense. The saiyans literally took over the story.
He had a chance to kill Cell and blew it. And he would have killed Babidi if Buu hadn't healed him.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Yasai9001 wrote:Personally from my perspective, everytime an enemy comes, Piccolo doesn't seem strong enough to kill said enemy. His last chance at killing someone were the Freeza soldiers, or maybe even Sorbet. But he hasn't been getting any spotlight lately, so it makes sense. The saiyans literally took over the story.
He had a chance to kill Cell and blew it. And he would have killed Babidi if Buu hadn't healed him.
You're right. But other than that that's it. Piccolo is a smart fighter and hopefully in the future he'll get some spotlight.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:He takes out a ton of Metal Cooler's robots, if I recall correctly. If we're counting the Bio-men, we might as well count those.
I wasn't counting those cause they're just mindless robot drones. That's almost like smashing up vehicles (vehicles that can fight back granted, but still). The Biomen were living creatures. Created in a lab, but still living, breathing, organic beings. Its why I would also count that one Saibaiman Piccolo takes out in the Saiya-jin arc to his manga kill count.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Between this and the Vegeta threads, it seems as though there's a contingent who seem to believe the only way to contribute to the story is to kill the big bad or rack up a body count.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:12 pm

ABED wrote:Between this and the Vegeta threads, it seems as though there's a contingent who seem to believe the only way to contribute to the story is to kill the big bad or rack up a body count.
You're only just now noticing this? Its been a thing in U.S. fandom for years and years. Since the original Cartoon Network airings at least. This idea of "you're only as worthwhile a character as the number of times you've dealt the death blow to a major villain." that's always been heavily prevalent, particularly in dub-centric circles.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread