So is Goku supposed to allow Roshi...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

So is Goku supposed to allow Roshi...

Post by TBMx » Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 am

To attack screaming, terrified women and just walk out? If Super is going for the oblivious Goku who never even kissed his wife, wouldn't he just blindly interrupt Roshi's attempted sexual assuault or rape? And I say attempted rape because the man outright grabbed the protesting woman, carried her over his shoulder to a place where they were alone, dressed her in fetish gear, and literally charged at her in lust despite her screams. Naive Dragonball Super Goku walks in, hears her screams, and walks out to give them some privacy or some shit. That's out of character for Goku, but here within Japanese cartoon humour, the woman shows some agency and hits Roshi with a frying pan or comedically kicks Roshi away. Not this time! Roshi is only stopped because "They popped out". So she's so terrified she loses control of her clothes and exposes herself meaning he actually gets a reward for all that behaviour instead of the aggressive, comedic rejection. Then when she gets her own back on him later, she's portrayed as the villain for pointing out legitimately, that his hands were all over her before.

Not only does this make Goku seriously unlikable, Roshi was alone with Blue haired Launch many times and he never threw himself at her in lust.He never did that to Bulma. Dragonball Super has a tendency of taking the defining trait of most characters and dialing them up to 11, but when they do that with Roshi, it gets real disturbing real fast,

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: So is Goku supposed to allow Roshi...

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 07, 2017 4:46 am

I think it was meant for humor.

Most of the time Roshi has made a pass, he got beaten up by the girl he went for. I'm guessing Goku thought he would be beaten up.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun May 07, 2017 5:12 am

The line between humour and disturbing lies in Roshi getting beaten up by the woman as a catharsis for the audience. If that isn't there, if Roshi actually groped launch and the only thing keeping him from going further was that her clothes actually fell off, that's not humour. Not to well adjusted people anyway.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 07, 2017 5:31 am

Yeah, it sucks and has sucked to some degree since '84. Like many of Dragon Ball's more ... questionable decisions ... Kame-Sennin's antics have always been something I could chalk up to the time and culture. They also to tended to be treated with a lighter hand and were frequently offset, at the very least, by Toriyama's genuinely deft handling of pratfalls and classic joke structure. Kame-Sennin would usually get his comeuppance in immediate and fairly clever ways.

I genuinely thought that, in 2017 with a bit less levity (thankfully!) applied to harassment and molestation in Japan, we'd seen the last of Kame-Sennin's more aggressive characteristics being highlighted in kids' TV, but ... here they were, and not in a particularly funny way. On top of that, going from a harassment scene that uncomfortable to lionizing the character within the span of twenty minutes is extremely off-putting.

Terrible blunder on a writing level, but moreover something I'm rather let down to realize is still such a ripe source for all-ages humor.
TBMx wrote:Not to well adjusted people anyway.
Ah, well, yeah. Let's see how this goes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 07, 2017 5:43 am

Damn it really looked like Roshi was trying to rape that girl. So we can't see blood but we can see these things? I bet many countries will try to censor as many of those scenes as possible.
I wasn't offended but if this gets censored everywhere I would understand why.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sun May 07, 2017 7:22 am

The episode certainly did a shitty job handling Roshi's perviness. It goes for too long, he doesn't get any kind of slapstick punishment for it, and the other characters didn't seem to care. I never have a problem with Roshi in the original DB, but this was awkward, not funny.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 am

...rape a girl? No, he is not supposed to, but it certainly looked like that.

I think Roshi's thing for pretty girls has been always funny, even some things that wouldn't pass in the real world, like "accidentally" touching girls boobs or butts. But he was literally jumping with his open hands into a girl that was escaping from him this time. WTF! Was he going to rape her or what?? Playing in the borders is fine, but... This was so weird, he looked like a rapist.
Last edited by Basako on Sun May 07, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heno heno kappa!

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 am

Roshi's actions in the episode were extreme and anyone seemed to care about it. Definetly not funny at all. The worst part is that there are fans that try to defend that behaviour because the girl was LATER portrayed as a villain.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun May 07, 2017 7:54 am

Well he literally did act like he didn't see anything

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:00 am

It felt out of character for Roshi. He usually cops a feel or makes a pervy suggestion and gets bopped for it, he never actively chases them down trying to pounce. Even with Blue Launch, he dressed her up in Lingerie and was just gonna peep on her as they did exercise and all that

I don't know who wrote this episode, but it didn't feel like Roshi's usual antics

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun May 07, 2017 9:27 am

I think the problem was that the joke went on for too long without and kind of slapstick comeuppance for Roshi. Usually when the girl starts feeling uncomfortable she clobbers him and that's that.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:34 am

OLKv3 wrote:It felt out of character for Roshi. He usually cops a feel or makes a pervy suggestion and gets bopped for it, he never actively chases them down trying to pounce. Even with Blue Launch, he dressed her up in Lingerie and was just gonna peep on her as they did exercise and all that

I don't know who wrote this episode, but it didn't feel like Roshi's usual antics
I've recently been rewatching Dragon ball and I remember him actively chasing down and trying to pounce on women multiple times. I don't know if this was anime-only or not, or if I'm not remembering correctly, but he has done it.

As for the OP, this is just a cartoon. It would be better to not take this seriously to the point of bringing in SJW arguments about Sexual assault and rape.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 am

Give me one example where he has chased down a fleeing screaming woman.

The fact that it's a kid's cartoon is more reason not to include this as it was written. Makes it more misguided, not less.

"SJW" LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu_LCNLillU

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun May 07, 2017 10:31 am

Cursemark505 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:It felt out of character for Roshi. He usually cops a feel or makes a pervy suggestion and gets bopped for it, he never actively chases them down trying to pounce. Even with Blue Launch, he dressed her up in Lingerie and was just gonna peep on her as they did exercise and all that

I've recently been rewatching Dragon ball and I remember him actively chasing down and trying to pounce on women multiple times. I don't know if this was anime-only or not, or if I'm not remembering correctly, but he has done it.

As for the OP, this is just a cartoon. It would be better to not take this seriously to the point of bringing in SJW arguments about Sexual assault and rape.
Like when? I don't remember anything like this. It looked like he was chasing this girl to rape her. Seriously, I'm laughing because I can't believe what they have drawn, I'm sure they had no intention to make Roshi look like a rapist, but they did. Look again dude: http://imgur.com/a/CfOt9
Heno heno kappa!

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun May 07, 2017 10:39 am

I kinda liked the gags but yeah, it was really weird.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 07, 2017 11:13 am

Other than the bad animation and censorship, I think what really hurt this display of debauchery is that Yurin didn't really feel like she was the center of attention. The narrative was "Muten Roushi is being a lech (off screen)". While watching Eromanga-Sensei, which of the things I think that sticks out (other than the gorgeous animation and voice work) is that the girls are themselves both the focus of the scene and taking command of the scene. Sagiri is shy, while Elf-chan is so self-centered she just assumes any lewd happening is intentional. Muten Roushi is of a dying breed of shamelessly and forwardly lewd male characters. While this might work better in a context where the lewd scenes had a sense of pay-off, here in a series neutered by early morning regulation and production committee licensing deals...we're just not going to get any satisfaction. It's half-assed and for that a tremendous shame.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun May 07, 2017 11:14 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I think the problem was that the joke went on for too long without and kind of slapstick comeuppance for Roshi. Usually when the girl starts feeling uncomfortable she clobbers him and that's that.
No the issue is we are not kids anymore.

I would have laugh my ass as a kid if i saw this as, now I still don't give a shit because its just dirty old man humor and i know its just a joke, but the world has become a lot more sensitive.

They are not going to air this in America.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun May 07, 2017 11:16 am

TBMx wrote:Give me one example where he has chased down a fleeing screaming woman.

The fact that it's a kid's cartoon is more reason not to include this as it was written. Makes it more misguided, not less.

"SJW" LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu_LCNLillU
If any child is like at dragon ball for guidance, they are already lost.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 07, 2017 11:19 am

The real problem we should be focusing on is that Roshi didn't get to actually molest the girl.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun May 07, 2017 11:32 am

Totamo wrote: No the issue is we are not kids anymore.

I would have laugh my ass as a kid if i saw this as, now I still don't give a shit because its just dirty old man humor and i know its just a joke, but the world has become a lot more sensitive.

They are not going to air this in America.
I agree, not only the vast majority of Dragon Ball fans outside Japan are now adults, the West has seen a very radical social justice movement since the 90s which has made people very sensitive.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.