So is Goku supposed to allow Roshi...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: So is Goku supposed to allow Roshi...

Post by Simere » Sun May 07, 2017 4:53 pm

I find it bizarre you think those two things are similar.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:This was pretty tame to his previous antics by far, he chased a girl around a room so what? This is a cartoon I find it odd there are so many "I found it disturbing" comments. Did you not find it "disturbing" that these zombies were going around destrying houses and potentially injuring or killing people?

I just find it hilarious that in a series where Bulma flashed her naked Vagina people draw the line with Roshi cashing a clothed woman around a room!
Didn't we have Roshi borderline molesting an unconscious girl back in Dragonball?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun May 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:This was pretty tame to his previous antics by far, he chased a girl around a room so what? This is a cartoon I find it odd there are so many "I found it disturbing" comments. Did you not find it "disturbing" that these zombies were going around destrying houses and potentially injuring or killing people?

I just find it hilarious that in a series where Bulma flashed her naked Vagina people draw the line with Roshi cashing a clothed woman around a room!
Man, that was funny. Bulma didn't know that she wasn't wearing her panties, so she showed her vagina to master Roshi. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, I'm sure he is not a rapist, but in this episode he looked like one: https://m.imgur.com/a/CfOt9

I'm not disturbed, but I have eyes and that's what I saw. And I'm not disturbed by DB stuff either, so funny gags.
Heno heno kappa!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 5:19 pm

This is how female characters are treated in countless anime. Nor is it anything new for Dragonball.

Culture shock, the episode. Stop viewing these eps from a western perspective.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 pm

I finally got to watch the episode and I'm not sure its as bad as some people make it. It was pretty bad though...agreed it was a bit drawn out.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun May 07, 2017 5:24 pm

precita wrote:This is how female characters are treated in countless anime. Nor is it anything new for Dragonball.

Groping isn't a positive thing from the "Japanese perspective". Stop viewing anime as a standard for moral norms.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Simere wrote:
precita wrote:This is how female characters are treated in countless anime. Nor is it anything new for Dragonball.

Groping isn't a positive thing from the "Japanese perspective". Stop viewing anime as a standard for moral norms.
I'd agree if I didn't see the same type of humor in countless shows over the last 20+ years of anime. Except nowadays it's usually two female characters groping each other in hot springs or "comparing each others boobs sizes" rather than a guy doing it.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 07, 2017 6:34 pm

This gets trotted out a lot, but I want to point out that "It's a different culture so it's fine" nearly always translates into, "It's a different culture, so despite the fact that people affected by it may not have been given the same platform, I want to believe it's fine." To wit, a few decades back this same type of thing would have been "acceptable" in American culture, despite the fact that, to women, it never really was. It means those with a say think it's fine. This isn't something everyone is cool with in Japan.

I also want to point out that strangeness of the trend that, despite minoring in the language, having done a homestay/study abroad, and being scheduled to teacch there next year, every time an issue like this comes up, I'm told a tremendous amount about Japanese culture by people I'm sure have fewer connections to it.

Not anything against you specifically, precita. It's just the nth time I've seen this type of comment between responses here and on r/dbz (and really anywhere anytime someone questions the gender politics of Japanese media online). It always has this tone of, "Well, listen, you SJW. It might be hard to grasp, but not all cultures are the same." Even ignoring the fallacy of assuming all cultures are accurately represented by their majority, especially when it comes to issues of harassment or inequality, I'm like, "I have lived in the country you're talking about. I had a host sister who spoke fluent English and talked about these things! Stop!"
Yomi wrote:I don't see how someone makes it through dragon ball but gets offended by this white bread nonsense.
I'm confirmed for hating Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun May 07, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:13 pm

I watch Dragonball Super with my 12 year old neice, it's gotten to the point where it's a weekly ritual.

Watching this episode was awkward. Coming in I knew Roshi was going to do something, but I didn't think they would go as far as they did. It wasn't funny in the slightest, and as he was chasing her I was hoping to god they would switch scenes.

Just a bad 20 minutes.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Commodore Krevin

Post by Commodore Krevin » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 am

Perfectly honest I didn't have a problem with this. Even found it somewhat funny and perfectly in keeping with Roshi's character. Even tame compared to some of the stuff he's done.

Just seems weird that for a guy who literally tried to spy on Launch while she was taking a shower to get worked up over a scene, Roshi chasing a clothed woman around a room, that could easily have been in a Tex Avery cartoon.

My two cents of course.

-Respectfully, Commodore Krevin

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 08, 2017 2:33 am

Cursemark505 wrote:As for the OP, this is just a cartoon. It would be better to not take this seriously to the point of bringing in SJW arguments about Sexual assault and rape.
Uragh, this is logic that has become too common. If you're going to argue in rejection of discussing the sexual themes suggested in these older forms of gag humor, then you should have a better justification for it than "Its just a cartoon, move on" as if elements of entertainment worthy of critical analysis have to be approved by people who only challenge the sake of a discussion by advocating an indisputable tolerance for it or anything comparable to social culture. It being a "cartoon" is what keeps this benign commentary an appropriate response to it. What is boiled down to in that statement are straw-protestations.
precita wrote:I'd agree if I didn't see the same type of humor in countless shows over the last 20+ years of anime. Except nowadays it's usually two female characters groping each other in hot springs or "comparing each others boobs sizes" rather than a guy doing it.
Thats not the same thing, those scenarios are usually among characters portrayed to be comfortable enough with each other to do so, and culturally in Japan, bathing with family or people you are comfortable with is already socially acceptable. When that is reflected in real life, it may embarrass the individual but it again is among people they are already friendly with. When males enter a bathhouse or hotspring, that openness is recalled in the presence of boys the girls in those scenarios aren't comfortable being nude or physical around. They also show this by their reaction. Translating that in real life, it would be no different. A stranger would be a pervert. A consensual associate would not be. There is also the fact or who writes those scenarios as well, (I don't know if those scenes happen as much in Shoujo as often as Shounen, so girls groping other girls could just be for the sake of fanservice, but the scenario's factors still apply).
Cipher wrote:I genuinely thought that, in 2017 with a bit less levity (thankfully!) applied to harassment and molestation in Japan, we'd seen the last of Kame-Sennin's more aggressive characteristics being highlighted in kids' TV, but ... here they were, and not in a particularly funny way. On top of that, going from a harassment scene that uncomfortable to lionizing the character within the span of twenty minutes is extremely off-putting.
There are varying degrees of what is considered innocent in Japan and what is acceptable toward what audience, but its hard to tell how far one can go with a gag like that. It does seem contradictory to portray this, while having concern for it being reprehensible in real life subways. (To the point where men and women take different ones because of that severity of the issue). Is it a mixed message? Because to children, they would probably think this was an acceptable way to be around women they are attracted to if at worst they presume she will just scream and run away or tell you not to peak at her panties.. rather than calling the police.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 am

Doctor. wrote:It's a cartoon, being offensive or not should be irrelevant. You've got videogames that glorify violence and murder such as GTA (and we all know kids play these games) and only the most extreme people actually care.
The difference is that the violence in GTA is not something a typical person is going to go out and replicate. You'd have to already be a lunatic or mentally unstable to actually murder someone. Sexual assault, however, is far more commonplace and easier to cover up. It really isn't something a character should get away with doing in a work of entertainment specifically aimed at kids.

Immature children playing GTA is an example of failed parenting. R-rated movies and M-rated games are not made with them in mind, and it isn't the fault of the creators that they fall into the wrong hands. In this case, the failure belonged entirely to the people making Dragon Ball Super. If they were trying to emulate Toriyama's humor, they failed. And in this day age, they probably would have been better off not making the attempt. Kamesennin's antics are played out and boring. They don't add anything of value to the show.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 am

Yeah this was fucking gross, Dragonball should have moved on from this 20 years or so ago.

You don't have to be an “sjw” to be against sexual assault, just a non sociopathic human being, he was trying to grab a woman screaming in fear , just because he lacked the capacity to pull it off this time is irrelevant. If you are running at someone with a knife and get shot by the police, you still get done for attempted assault/murder intention matters morally and legally.

Goku turning a blind eye (as an adult) was bad too that wasn't naievity, you can tell he was just abdicating responsibility out of embarrassment, that was the “gag”...

Horrible episode, This is the person who deserves the spot more than Yamcha.... he then goes on to defeat Tenshinhan!!! WTF.

Worst episode of super so far.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 am

ParkerAL wrote:
Doctor. wrote:It's a cartoon, being offensive or not should be irrelevant. You've got videogames that glorify violence and murder such as GTA (and we all know kids play these games) and only the most extreme people actually care.
The difference is that the violence in GTA is not something a typical person is going to go out and replicate. You'd have to already be a lunatic or mentally unstable to actually murder someone. Sexual assault, however, is far more commonplace and easier to cover up. It really isn't something a character should get away with doing in a work of entertainment specifically aimed at kids.

Immature children playing GTA is an example of failed parenting. R-rated movies and M-rated games are not made with them in mind, and it isn't the fault of the creators that they fall into the wrong hands. In this case, the failure belonged entirely to the people making Dragon Ball Super. If they were trying to emulate Toriyama's humor, they failed. And in this day age, they probably would have been better off not making the attempt. Kamesennin's antics are played out and boring. They don't add anything of value to the show.
Murder isn't the only thing GTA glorifies. You can punch random people in the street, harass women in strip clubs and steal stuff. This is all stuff normal people could do and could hide up as well.

I don't get how Roshi got away with anything considering all his antics got him was a Kamehameha to the face and the show specifically portrayed his antics as something people shouldn't do.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 am

Doctor. wrote:
ParkerAL wrote:

Murder isn't the only thing GTA glorifies. You can punch random people in the street, harass women in strip clubs and steal stuff. This is all stuff normal people could do and could hide up as well.

I don't get how Roshi got away with anything considering all his antics got him was a Kamehameha to the face and the show specifically portrayed his antics as something people shouldn't do.
Even that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to GTA. But once again, sex is always the touchier subject when it comes anything. It's a weird American thing I keep noticing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 08, 2017 7:52 am

ekrolo2 wrote: Even that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to GTA. But once again, sex is always the touchier subject when it comes anything. It's a weird American thing I keep noticing.
You'd expect America to be a little desensitized to this kind of stuff considering how extremely liberal they are with sex, but I guess not.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Even that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to GTA. But once again, sex is always the touchier subject when it comes anything. It's a weird American thing I keep noticing.
You'd expect America to be a little desensitized to this kind of stuff considering how extremely liberal they are with sex, but I guess not.
It's not even a sex a lot of time, it can be as simple as a bit if tame nudity that sets them off. From some of the reactions I've seen, you'd think the people involved were making a kitty porn snuff film.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 am

TBMx wrote:If Super is going for the oblivious Goku who never even kissed his wife, wouldn't he just blindly interrupt Roshi's attempted sexual assuault or rape?
Actaully, I'd say that if anything, having Goku NOT bother to stop Roshi probably demonstrates Goku's lack of understanding of sex more than anything. Goku is an idiot when it comes to sex and probably cares so little about it, including issues like sexual abuse, that he just doesn't care when he sees a man sexually harassing a woman. He doesn't understand the severity of the situation, and so he doesn't interveine. He just sees it as some goofy ass nonsense like when Bulma chases around people to smack them in a comedic fashion. Just a bunch a dumb bullshit that has nothing to do with fighting strong opponents or saving the world and, therefore, something he at most just sorta smiles and shrugs at.

I love Goku, I honestly do, but let us never forget that he is a dumb-ass piece of shit.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:42 am

Puaru wrote:
TBMx wrote:If Super is going for the oblivious Goku who never even kissed his wife, wouldn't he just blindly interrupt Roshi's attempted sexual assuault or rape?
Actaully, I'd say that if anything, having Goku NOT bother to stop Roshi probably demonstrates Goku's lack of understanding of sex more than anything. Goku is an idiot when it comes to sex and probably cares so little about it, including issues like sexual abuse, that he just doesn't care when he sees a man sexually harassing a woman. He doesn't understand the severity of the situation, and so he doesn't interveine. He just sees it as some goofy ass nonsense like when Bulma chases around people to smack them in a comedic fashion. Just a bunch a dumb bullshit that has nothing to do with fighting strong opponents or saving the world and, therefore, something he at most just sorta smiles and shrugs at.

I love Goku, I honestly do, but let us never forget that he is a dumb-ass piece of shit.
You might not entirely be wrong about this since, what little of it he has, Goku's knowledge about women and how relationships work comes from Roshi and Bulma :P

That's hardly gonna imbue you with a multi-layered perspective on the matter.

ckal9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ckal9 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 am

Majin Jator wrote:The episode certainly did a shitty job handling Roshi's perviness. It goes for too long, he doesn't get any kind of slapstick punishment for it, and the other characters didn't seem to care. I never have a problem with Roshi in the original DB, but this was awkward, not funny.

This is how I feel about it. I've never had much of a problem with it before - I haven't found it funny, but I didn't think it was over the top and egregious either. I actually felt pretty uncomfortable watching it in this episode, though. It just seemed to go too far. Let's put it this way: if it is something I would not want to be 'caught watching,' there's probably something not quite right with it.