Just how "uncut" is uncut DB / DBZ

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soluzar

Just how "uncut" is uncut DB / DBZ

Post by Soluzar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:21 am

Having previously seen the majority of Dragon Ball and DBZ episodes on the TV, or in other ways, I've now re-discovered the series, and intend to begin purchasing the boxed sets. I'm dissapointed to learn that the first saga won't be available uncut on DVD until the licensing issues are resovled, but the rest of the anime seems to be available as part of FUNimation's "uncut" range of DVDs.

I'd like to know just how uncut they are. Does the Japanese version of DB/Z feature a full restoration of the original OP/ED, BGM and insert songs? Is there any "digital paint" censorship of so-called "questionable content" which was included in the Japanese release? Some of the editorials on [URL=http://dbzuncensored.dbzoa.net/]DBZ Uncensored[/quote] seem to suggest that there certain minor elements missing from the DVD release, and so I'd like for someone to clarify this for me.

In all honestly, it doesn't matter that much to me as long as it's more "uncut" than the TV version. I'm aware that FUNi did not even give us the complete number of episodes in the TV broadcast. I'm not quite a perfectionist, but I would like to know exactly what we get for our money. It's not likely that I will invest in any Japanese DVDs, so the next best thing is to ask all of you.

EDIT: Dagnabbit. The "Ask VegitoEX Archives" answered this one. I apologise for not reading the site properly.
Kore wa "signature" ja nai.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:42 am

Two things I can suggest. Firstly, if you're intending on buying the entire series via R1, your best bet would be to wait until next year, as FUNimation are intending on relaunching the series, DVD wise.

Secondly, if all you want is the series, uncut and in Japanese (and of a higher quality than the current R1s), consider purchasing the R3 Hong Kong Toei DVDs from YesAsia.com. No subtitles, nor next episode previews, but a much cheaper alternative to the r2s.

If you collect the current R1 Z boxsets, you'll never ever finish DBZ in it's current form. That's sadly the way it is.

Xyex
I Live Here

Re: Just how "uncut" is uncut DB / DBZ

Post by Xyex » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:02 am

Soluzar wrote: Having previously seen the majority of Dragon Ball and DBZ episodes on the TV, or in other ways, I've now re-discovered the series, and intend to begin purchasing the boxed sets. I'm dissapointed to learn that the first saga won't be available uncut on DVD until the licensing issues are resovled, but the rest of the anime seems to be available as part of FUNimation's "uncut" range of DVDs.
Actually, there are still some epidoses later on that haven't been released yet, I think. Not sure. Either way, though, if you're thinking of getting the Saga sets, don't. They're being 'phased out and replaced' by all appearances. The first box of the Season Sets (which starts with Raditz and goes through to fake namek I believe, and which are all uncut only too, I think) comes out soon. Go for that instead. 35 (I think it was) episodes for, er, what was it? $50? Something like that, ignoring all the pre-order discount offers that are out there.
Soluzar wrote: I'd like to know just how uncut they are. Does the Japanese version of DB/Z feature a full restoration of the original OP/ED, BGM and insert songs? Is there any "digital paint" censorship of so-called "questionable content" which was included in the Japanese release? Some of the editorials on DBZ Uncensored seem to suggest that there certain minor elements missing from the DVD release, and so I'd like for someone to clarify this for me.
While I only actually own one uncut DVD, and that's a movie at that, I can say that the video track and JP audio track (aside from an odd SFX flub on Dead Zone) are untouched. Though, you wont be getting next ep previews, IIRC. I think, though, that they're putting the Eye Cathers back in. Not sure. Someone with one of the UUE discs would have to verify that.
Soluzar wrote:In all honestly, it doesn't matter that much to me as long as it's more "uncut" than the TV version. I'm aware that FUNi did not even give us the complete number of episodes in the TV broadcast. I'm not quite a perfectionist, but I would like to know exactly what we get for our money. It's not likely that I will invest in any Japanese DVDs, so the next best thing is to ask all of you.
You've actually picked what is probably the best time ever to get back into things. The entire series is just about to get a Season Set treatment (or so it would seem, unless they decided to only do 2 seaon sets an leave the rest as sagas, but that would be really odd) starting with the UUE releases. Now, mind you, the UUEs (Sagas 1 & 2) are the re-dub with the FUNi cast, not the original Ocean cast (those exist in edited form only). You'll also like, I think, that the UUEs didn't skip any episodes. Though, they did pretty much keep the script unchanged.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Soluzar

Post by Soluzar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:52 pm

Blitzen wrote:Two things I can suggest. Firstly, if you're intending on buying the entire series via R1, your best bet would be to wait until next year, as FUNimation are intending on relaunching the series, DVD wise.
I had been under the impression that the relaunch was only a repackaging and repricing of the previous DVDs at a lower price. Judging from your post, it seems as though there may be a difference in quality, as well. If that is the case, I'm very glad you brought that to my attention, since I would have been tempted to go for the older, and cheaper releases.

May I presume then that the forthcoming re-release is more of a remastered release than just a new way of packaging the old content?
Secondly, if all you want is the series, uncut and in Japanese (and of a higher quality than the current R1s), consider purchasing the R3 Hong Kong Toei DVDs from YesAsia.com. No subtitles, nor next episode previews, but a much cheaper alternative to the r2s.
Yes, much cheaper than the R2 DVDs. Quite an attractive price, actually. I'd very much like to go for that, except that I'm not under any illusions about my Japanese comprehension. It's still somewhere decidedly short of "intermediate", despite my best efforts.
If you collect the current R1 Z boxsets, you'll never ever finish DBZ in it's current form. That's sadly the way it is.
I hadn't thought of it like that. I suppose if I wait for the new R1 relaunch, I can just buy the packs as they are released. They are supposed to be nice big forty episode boxes this time, aren't they? If they don't get favourable reviews, then I can always pursue the R3 route at that time.
Kore wa "signature" ja nai.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 pm

Soluzar wrote:I had been under the impression that the relaunch was only a repackaging and repricing of the previous DVDs at a lower price. Judging from your post, it seems as though there may be a difference in quality, as well. If that is the case, I'm very glad you brought that to my attention, since I would have been tempted to go for the older, and cheaper releases.

May I presume then that the forthcoming re-release is more of a remastered release than just a new way of packaging the old content?
Given what we have at the moment, it's actually going to be a more episodes @ lower disc ratio, and therefore would in general make it cheaper. Any actual remastering is just speculation though, for the moment. Either way, it'll be a more convienient way of collecting the series, because as Xyex said, the 'saga' sets for Z aswell as other DVDs are essentially being phased out.

Yes, much cheaper than the R2 DVDs. Quite an attractive price, actually. I'd very much like to go for that, except that I'm not under any illusions about my Japanese comprehension. It's still somewhere decidedly short of "intermediate", despite my best efforts.
Well, I'm just suggesting it because if you possibly had Japanese DVDs as an option, you might go for this. Honestly, though, DBZ is not a hard series to understand, and even with a basic understanding of the language, and of what's going on, you'll be fine.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:34 am

Pretty uncut dude, let me give an example. Does anyone remember the controversial "bath battle" with Goten and Trunks vs Goku? Yep, I thought you would, trust me something's are better off blocked.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:47 am

Blitzen wrote:Well, I'm just suggesting it because if you possibly had Japanese DVDs as an option, you might go for this. Honestly, though, DBZ is not a hard series to understand, and even with a basic understanding of the language, and of what's going on, you'll be fine.
Especially what with people having written up "saga guides," episode summaries and so forth for several years now, even before the series went past Seasons 1 and 2 in the dub. :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:10 am

I'd like to add to this topic. It could help people that don't know. Funi's dvds from Season 3 til the end of DBZ are all uncut with the dub that has the music from Bruce Faulconer and the Japanese version with the original OP, ED, and BGM. Some people will say that Funi's uncut dvds still have stuff cut out but I know for a fact that everything is there and nothing is cut out.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:22 am

Strongbad456 wrote:I'd like to add to this topic. It could help people that don't know. Funi's dvds from Season 3 til the end of DBZ are all uncut with the dub that has the music from Bruce Faulconer and the Japanese version with the original OP, ED, and BGM. Some people will say that Funi's uncut dvds still have stuff cut out but I know for a fact that everything is there and nothing is cut out.
Everyone basically knows this.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:I'd like to add to this topic. It could help people that don't know. Funi's dvds from Season 3 til the end of DBZ are all uncut with the dub that has the music from Bruce Faulconer and the Japanese version with the original OP, ED, and BGM. Some people will say that Funi's uncut dvds still have stuff cut out but I know for a fact that everything is there and nothing is cut out.
I actually have heard people try to say this before, but never anywhere around this community. Moreso from people who have no idea at all whatsoever what they are talking about.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:39 pm

the Funimation DVD's are for the most part uncut.

The first 2 released, the "Captain Ginyu Saga" are the most cut of the "uncut" DVDs, as they censor some swearing on the sub track, and dont include eyecatches, or even openings on all of the episodes (Opening-episode-episode-episode-ending format).

As they went on to the sercond set of DVDs (The "Trunks Saga" - yeah they didnt release this stuff chronologically) they uncut their subbed dialogue and fixed opening to episode ratios, but kept out eyecatches.

I forget precisely where, but somewhere along the line they started doing eyecatches (It was in one of the Cell sets).

None of FUNimation's DVD's carry the next episode previews (some of them have the english next episode preview as an extra for the next episode following the last one on that disc only, but even then not all of them do this).

The "uncut" Dub on all FUNimation discs is "visually uncut" - that is they didnt remove or cover any animation in the episodes no matter what was there. The music is still the Falcouner stuff, and the dialogue while "less stupid" then the cut dub, is still not perfectly uncut. For example Hercule does not appear in the uncut dub, Mr. Satan does. However they still won't say damn, or anything of the like.

As for Dragon Ball, they all contain the eyecatches, openings, endings, and the original BGM in both dubbed and subbed form (although a few of the insert songs are removed from the dub). However we only get the first opening and the first ending animations. The dub, while closer then the DBZ dub does vary in quality from exact to "interperative" so to speak. The subbed dialogue is uncut.

I hope that helps you understand how the uncut DB/Z discs go.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Though I can't confirm this for myself, be aware there were reports of the Japanese track on the Dead Zone re-release being alterted. Specifically people have said there was a sound effect inserted where there was none before (yes, on the Japanese track), which wasn't on the Pioneer release.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:47 pm

laserkid wrote: As for Dragon Ball, they all contain the eyecatches, openings, endings, and the original BGM in both dubbed and subbed form (although a few of the insert songs are removed from the dub). However we only get the first opening and the first ending animations. The dub, while closer then the DBZ dub does vary in quality from exact to "interperative" so to speak. The subbed dialogue is uncut.
The openings was something FUni couldn't do anything about. I heard the same happened to Kodocha, which pissed off my friend.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:17 pm

laserkid wrote:As for Dragon Ball, we only get the first opening and the first ending animations.
Second ending animation.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:52 pm

The Japanese track is second to none as far as that goes. There is no reason to assume that the uncut versions of DB and DBZ are any less uncut than the version the Japanese kids saw. The audio is still in mono and not stereo or DD format, but who cares? It's nastalgic in a way and is a nice way of reliving the good old days.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:55 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
laserkid wrote: As for Dragon Ball, they all contain the eyecatches, openings, endings, and the original BGM in both dubbed and subbed form (although a few of the insert songs are removed from the dub). However we only get the first opening and the first ending animations. The dub, while closer then the DBZ dub does vary in quality from exact to "interperative" so to speak. The subbed dialogue is uncut.
The openings was something FUni couldn't do anything about. I heard the same happened to Kodocha, which pissed off my friend.
Don't mistake me for disdaining, just stating the facts. I actually have a rather large love for how Dragon Ball was handled (quirks and all) - unlike my view of DBZ. I was merely trying to be informative.
Adamant wrote:Second ending animation.
My mistake, thanks for the correction.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:25 am

Duo wrote:
I actually have heard people try to say this before, but never anywhere around this community. Moreso from people who have no idea at all whatsoever what they are talking about.
Yeah, they obviously don't have any idea what they're talking about...oh, wait.

Oh, and in addition, FUNi's 'Bardock: Father of Goku' had a similar omission. So did their Trunks: Mysterious Youth release (both cuts seemingly made so that their omission of eyecatches wasn't so damned blatant).

So...yeah. Obviously you don't know for a fact, and obviously people have brought it up. And proven it. Not to be a dick.

-Corey

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:10 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Duo wrote:
Yeah, they obviously don't have any idea what they're talking about...oh, wait.

Oh, and in addition, FUNi's 'Bardock: Father of Goku' had a similar omission. So did their Trunks: Mysterious Youth release (both cuts seemingly made so that their omission of eyecatches wasn't so damned blatant).

So...yeah. Obviously you don't know for a fact, and obviously people have brought it up. And proven it. Not to be a dick.

-Corey
Obviously you're being a typical nit-picking fan. XP Seriously, a half second of removed 'duplicate' footage isn't an issue. :?
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 am

Xyex wrote:Obviously you're being a typical nit-picking fan. XP Seriously, a half second of removed 'duplicate' footage isn't an issue. :?
And this is why I love these threads :lol:

X - "Are FUNi's DVD's uncut?"
Y - "Yes! I can say for certain that they are!"
Z - "Actually...no. They do have cuts. *insert proof*"
Y - "Jeez, half a second of footage isn't an issue."
Z - "...wasn't the question whether the DVD's were uncut though?"
Y - "LOL nit-picking fan."

BTW, it's truthfully anywhere from 5 seconds to 8 seconds as shown above, and sometimes includes actual dialogue. If FUNi's gonna plaster all over their discs that they're uncut and so forth, I expect...well, uncut discs.

I know, I know, I'm "nit-picking". Damn me and my holding a company to their word! :roll:

Just out of curiousity, how much has to be cut for you to consider it to be...well, cut? 10 seconds? 20? A minute?

-Corey

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:13 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Xyex wrote:Obviously you're being a typical nit-picking fan. XP Seriously, a half second of removed 'duplicate' footage isn't an issue. :?
And this is why I love these threads :lol:

X - "Are FUNi's DVD's uncut?"
Y - "Yes! I can say for certain that they are!"
Z - "Actually...no. They do have cuts. *insert proof*"
Y - "Jeez, half a second of footage isn't an issue."
Z - "...wasn't the question whether the DVD's were uncut though?"
Y - "LOL nit-picking fan."

BTW, it's truthfully anywhere from 5 seconds to 8 seconds as shown above, and sometimes includes actual dialogue. If FUNi's gonna plaster all over their discs that they're uncut and so forth, I expect...well, uncut discs.

I know, I know, I'm "nit-picking". Damn me and my holding a company to their word! :roll:

Just out of curiousity, how much has to be cut for you to consider it to be...well, cut? 10 seconds? 20? A minute?

-Corey
Something significant or that wasn't already there 2 seconds earlier. The 'cuts' are simple splicing edits to smooth out the animation. Hell, it's common practice just in basic editing to remove such extraneous material. And, without the eyecatches interupting the flow of the show, the sudden jump and repeat of a previous scene is quite... disrupting. Sailor Moon's TV broadcast included a few such jumps, and I saw them frequently (for obvious reasons) on the handful of Naruto subs I've seen. It's jarring and annoying. Trimming a few seconds of footage that, in no way alters the show, to fix something like that is far from a bad thing, IMO.

But let me guess. You'd complain if they cut out a single frame of animation, wouldn't you? No matter the reason or cause? :?

And anyway, something I forgot to mention in my other post. Neither Duo nor Strongbad456 were refering to footage in their comments. I can tell, simply based off Strongbad456's comment as well as going to a few other boards where such statements as he was commenting on occur, that they were refering purely to dialogue. Namely, the 'swearing cuts' that people who know only the Anime Labs version of the show claim exist enmass through out the series.
<Xyex> Good point.