The full 80 fighter roster...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

The full 80 fighter roster...

Post by cheddarsword » Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 am

I know this has likely been discussed but just in case it hasn't, I personally don't think that we're going to see all 80 fighters with official names.

Think about it. That's a crap ton of copyrighting to do just for one arc and for characters that won't have enough screen time to even be remembered.

The recent display of U10's team seems to point to this, with 9 of them being completely cloaked.

And be honest. How many more Winnie the Pooh Brawler knock offs can you stomach?

And there's also the possibility that a lot of the fighters will just be cloaked or something.

Not to mention the likelihood of copy and paste characters and similar designs. Think about it. You could put Nail in Piccolo's outfit and not be able to tell a difference. The same could happen here.

Universe 6's saiyans? Easy enough. Spikey black hair, black eyes and Sengoku period style armor. Run in through the Clone Machine and there you go!

Now, I do think we'll see some interesting characters from each universe. At least one per. But to expect all 80 to have unique designs and names? Not likely.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: The full 80 fighter roster...

Post by Xeogran » Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 am

Seeing how big this tournament is shaping up, I hope to get atleast like 15-20 unique new worthwhile characters. Even the Otherworld Tournament in Z had some fun concepts and designs, and it was on a much lesser scale.

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am

So far we have

U7 10
U6 7
U11 4
U9 3
U10 1
U4 1

Before the tournament has started we already know 26 of the 80 fighters. 27 if we count the fat Teletubby that's fighting Vegeta in the opener.

supersaiyan1993

Post by supersaiyan1993 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't see why it's so hard to design 80 characters. Most the characters won't get much screen time though and they would be used as fodder.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Optimistically I would guess that the dragging out of these "filler" episodes (both the exhibition match and the recruitment padding) is to give Toriyama and Toyataro time to design decently interesting characters with notable names and by the time this arc is over we'll be able to describe each fighter in at least one sentence.

Realistically we will probably get 10-20 new fighters at most (and that might be generous) and the rest will be fodder and just be seen getting their butts kicked.

I hope I'm wrong though, Super has been around for 2 years now, if Pokemon can crank out over 100 new Pokemon and characters every 3 years it shouldn't be any harder for Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon May 15, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm expecting the vast majority of these characters will be throwaway characters. The type of characters where someone like Piccolo will do his explosive wave attack and blow a dozen of them out the ring or something and we won't even know their names.

The heavy focus is obviously on Universe 11 so we'll probably get to know some of those and of course we know the Universe 6 ones and they'll give time to the other members but I don't expect too much more than that.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 pm

More of them will likely have repeat or similar designs. Just like we had 3 wolves at the exhibition matches, now we have a team of 10 muscle men, then we have a Pride trooper who looks like Beerus, etc.

They can't design 10 unique fighters for each team, that would be too much work. Remember they just recently designed 12 God's, 12 Kai's, and 12 Angels.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 pm

I expect most fighters to be far away looking blobs at best. Maybe a fighter from each team will remain in the ring long enough to get some time, but not much.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon May 15, 2017 2:23 pm

supersaiyan1993 wrote:I don't see why it's so hard to design 80 characters. Most the characters won't get much screen time though and they would be used as fodder.
It wouldn't be hard to do per se. Just use a handful of character types across multiple fighters. But as you said, most of these are going to be throwaway characters. As such, why pile on the copyright fees for characters that are likely to be knocked out in the first few minutes? Not to mention the cost of designing the characters. Even if you don't put a lot of effort into the designs, you're still having to make them, and the company is still having to pay you to do it. Not to mention the time it would take.

And let's not forget that we already got a wealth of new characters in the new Gods of Destruction, their Angels and the Kaioshins. at 3 characters per universe, not counting U6, U7 and U10, that's 27 characters already. I imagine the people in the legal department are screaming their heads off. Nintendo's legal team did the same thing when Sakurai just kept adding in 3rd party stuff to one of the Smash Bros. games.
precita wrote:More of them will likely have repeat or similar designs. Just like we had 3 wolves at the exhibition matches, now we have a team of 10 muscle men, then we have a Pride trooper who looks like Beerus, etc.

They can't design 10 unique fighters for each team, that would be too much work. Remember they just recently designed 12 God's, 12 Kai's, and 12 Angels.
My sentiments exactly.

Though I will say that the Trooper that looks like Beerus actually has features on par with a rodent. A Mouse or Rat actually. And since he's all about speed, it kinda makes sense. Mice are quick little buggers.

Also, take note that the Pride Troopers have the same uniforms, so that's an easy design to replicate across multiple characters. The General guy is different though, but hey, we already expect a few unique characters as it is.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Mon May 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Beerus lookalike is a hare

Also, someone, (maybe the art director?) specifically talked about full new characters roster's design, so I'm sure we'll have every fighter with his unique design

Obviously, the fact most of them will be blown away in under a minute is a given, starting from team 10 as a whole, that muscle fighter's name is a pun for " hopeless team" :lol:

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 pm

MrBlackFox wrote:Beerus lookalike is a hare

Also, someone, (maybe the art director?) specifically talked about full new characters roster's design, so I'm sure we'll have every fighter with his unique design

Obviously, the fact most of them will be blown away in under a minute is a given, starting from team 10 as a whole, that muscle fighter's name is a pun for " hopeless team" :lol:
I thought Toriyama was the art director? Maybe he just laid the story groundwork and is just overseeing everything.

But still, to pump out a full 60+ new characters? I can just see the flood of green... and all for God level fodder no less. Can you say "Bad Business Move?" Whatever.

Also, the Beerus lookalike being a hare makes even more sense than a mouse. Honestly, I thought I saw him with a long thin tail but a quick look through Google Images proves me wrong. Hmm... I wonder if he specializes in kicks? Heh, could be interesting to watch then! I do like me some Tae Kwon Do!

Also, hopeless team? HAHAHA! I can't tell if it's funny because it's true or if it's the fact that the writing team is clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Optimistically I would guess that the dragging out of these "filler" episodes (both the exhibition match and the recruitment padding) is to give Toriyama and Toyataro time to design decently interesting characters with notable names and by the time this arc is over we'll be able to describe each fighter in at least one sentence.
Or to give the arc time to set up and explore all those different participants at least a little bit? GT/early Super arcs had tendency to be very rushed. Obviously no one wants the repeat of Freeza's 5 minutes countdown but a proper buildup is very important in for arc narrative, tension, investement etc. I wouldn't really call it a filler as most of these characters are barely getting 1 episode focused on them or even just a few scenes. But this screentime is important for the payoff in the actual tournament

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 am

Basaku wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Optimistically I would guess that the dragging out of these "filler" episodes (both the exhibition match and the recruitment padding) is to give Toriyama and Toyataro time to design decently interesting characters with notable names and by the time this arc is over we'll be able to describe each fighter in at least one sentence.
Or to give the arc time to set up and explore all those different participants at least a little bit? GT/early Super arcs had tendency to be very rushed. Obviously no one wants the repeat of Freeza's 5 minutes countdown but a proper buildup is very important in for arc narrative, tension, investement etc. I wouldn't really call it a filler as most of these characters are barely getting 1 episode focused on them or even just a few scenes. But this screentime is important for the payoff in the actual tournament
Freeza's 5 minute countdown is only as legendarily bad as it is because the Anime dragged it out longer than it actually was. There's filler in there. I know because i actually owned that part of the manga. From Form 2 Freeza all the way to the beginning of the Android saga.

Still, 5 minutes wouldn't cover it. He f***ed that up.

But GT? Rushed? Not in the first arc. I was rather surprised at how long the Goku Vs. Baby fight went on for. After that though, yeah, rushed is a good way of looking at it. Hell the Super 17 arc was so short that it wasn't necessary. It gave a look at middle age 18 which is odd considering that 17 didn't look like he aged a day...

Anyway though, It does appear to be giving a look at each fighter and their reasons for joining the U7 team. Not to mention bits are being thrown in for the other universes. Primarily U6 so far, with a hint at 10's roster.

I like this approach But it did get predictable:

Goku: Join me!

Fighter: No.

Goku: Convincing speach/event of revelation

Goku: Join me!

Fighter: *sigh* ok...

It went that way with everyone except Gohan and Piccolo.

Vegeta: My kid's about to be born. FIXED BY: Whis

Krillin: Meh, I gave up fighting. FIXED BY: 18

18: I don't trust it plus i have a kid. FIXED BY: MONEY! Also bribing Marron with fun at Bulmas.

17: I don't care. FIXED BY: Intergalactic poachers (WTF!?)

Tien: I has dojo now. FIXED BY: Advent of Yurin making a need for cash.

SPOILER: Unknown reason for denial. FIXED BY: Likely? Bribery of sorts.

...Oh come on, you know that last one will happen. Like I said. Predictable.

Anyway, I still say that at the very least, even if they give fill designs to all of the new fighters, I doubt they'll explore their character much, if at all.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 am

cheddarsword wrote: ...Oh come on, you know that last one will happen. Like I said. Predictable..
I also predict goku opens his mouth to speak, ChiChi is a moron, hit has tokitobashi, You know, while we are all predicting stuff that's not supposed to be unpredictable..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 16, 2017 2:35 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
cheddarsword wrote: ...Oh come on, you know that last one will happen. Like I said. Predictable..
I also predict goku opens his mouth to speak, ChiChi is a moron, hit has tokitobashi, You know, while we are all predicting stuff that's not supposed to be unpredictable..
I'm just saying that if they want to build up the stories of the characters a bit, they picked a boring way of doing it. It's a good concept but it was executed poorly. As a result, it became predictable. I kinda figured 17 would say no before Goku asked him. Same with Tien. Honestly, I started to think Roshi would do the same thing but as soon as he heard "CASH!" he was ready to throw down.

After receiving a Kamehameha to the face.

And being knocked out.

No real backstory.

Of course, Roshi has his own training... Wait, maybe I'm thankful they didn't explain why he was so strong.

But this just proves my point on that one. The writing team is copy and pasting the story of each invite. The only reason that SPOILER's invite is going to be interesting is because of who they are. Not because of how it will play out.

Think about it though. Of all the characters that have followed this process so far, SPOILER is the one character that i would actually expect that behavior from.

So in a word? Predictable.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue May 16, 2017 2:55 am

cheddarsword wrote: So in a word? Predictable.
Like I said, it's not supposed to be not predictable, it's just them being recruited when most have cut ties with each other and fighting all together..
Saying no is the obvious answer they are gonna give, they know they are done with this business and had moved on to a new life..

Which brings me to my next point, this whole thing is idiotic, this is a show, these morons don't need to move on and make a life, it's not necessary for the story progression, because them settling down makes them disappear from the show entirely much less have any development..

I will agree them doing the same thing with everyone is grinding my gears, but it's for an entirely different reason
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue May 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
cheddarsword wrote: So in a word? Predictable.
Like I said, it's not supposed to be not predictable, it's just them being recruited when most have cut ties with each other and fighting all together..
Saying no is the obvious answer they are gonna give, they know they are done with this business and had moved on to a new life..

Which brings me to my next point, this whole thing is idiotic, this is a show, these morons don't need to move on and make a life, it's not necessary for the story progression, because them settling down makes them disappear from the show entirely much less have any development..

I will agree them doing the same thing with everyone is grinding my gears, but it's for an entirely different reason
I'll admit, having the characters move on and do thier own thing is a bit pointless, but in some cases it's understandable. Take Krillin for example. One punch from Goku sent him through Kami knows how many rock walls. And that was Goku at base form. Why should he want to continue fighting and training? To him it seemed pointless.

That being said though, I agree that there was no reason for this. With the tournament approaching, we're getting all these instances of "Surprise, I'm much stronger now for reasons unknown!" so yeah, going their separate ways just to magically be stronger when they all come back together was kinda pointless.