Thoughts about the recruitment 'arc'

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Thoughts about the recruitment 'arc'

Post by Zagacious » Wed May 17, 2017 5:05 am

Freeza9000 wrote:Mainly the padding in these episodes such as Goku not telling the other fighters (except Gohan, Piccolo, 17) he's recruiting about the stakes of the tournament and what happens to the universe if the team representing it loses. Wouldn't telling the them the stakes make your job easier? It really wouldn't take as long and you wouldn't have to go through all the trouble lying. Not to mention, it would make your fighters more alert of the consequences and take this tournament more seriously instead of just viewing it as some random ass tournament. To make it all worse, they would know of the universal erasure rule anyways when they begin to enter the Tournament of Power with further reiteration of the rules by Daishinkan and more tirades from other universes about Universe 7 putting them at stake. It overall feels like unnecessary padding.

Other instances of padding are 17 originally refusing to enter the Tournament of Power with is then followed by pointless alien poacher bullshit and Yurin attacking Tenshinhan's dojo bullshit that adds nothing to the story. One would think that 17 would actually participate in the tournament after being told the consequences and knowing that he has the chance to protect his family and essentially nature (which he so cherishes) from being erased by participating.

I also don't appreciate Boo being shafted for the same lame goddamn excuse of him falling asleep. This has happened 3 or 4 fucking times now! Though bringing back Freeza may sound like a horrible concept, thinking about it, I am actually interested on how they are going to handle his character in the arc. I would've been less upset and frustrated if this wasn't at the expense of shafting Boo, one of the more interesting characters in the team. I wouldn't mind it if Roshi or Tenshinhan were replaced.
Yes it made no sense that he wouldn't tell them how severe the stakes of the tournament were, because it would have made them want to help immediately instead of what seemed like most of them not taking it seriously. Details like that made me feel like many of them were half effort and serving no purpose other then to stretch out the arc. Considering the recruitment took up about half of the entire tournament arc ,they're probably going to rush the hell out of the actual tournament like they did with the Black Goku arc. I have a feeling when the tournament is over these people that were hyping up and praising the recruitment episodes will feel a little disappointed after we are finished with the tournament in no time and it will feel like it just started.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts about the recruitment 'arc'

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 17, 2017 6:15 am

Zagacious wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:Mainly the padding in these episodes such as Goku not telling the other fighters (except Gohan, Piccolo, 17) he's recruiting about the stakes of the tournament and what happens to the universe if the team representing it loses. Wouldn't telling the them the stakes make your job easier? It really wouldn't take as long and you wouldn't have to go through all the trouble lying. Not to mention, it would make your fighters more alert of the consequences and take this tournament more seriously instead of just viewing it as some random ass tournament. To make it all worse, they would know of the universal erasure rule anyways when they begin to enter the Tournament of Power with further reiteration of the rules by Daishinkan and more tirades from other universes about Universe 7 putting them at stake. It overall feels like unnecessary padding.

Other instances of padding are 17 originally refusing to enter the Tournament of Power with is then followed by pointless alien poacher bullshit and Yurin attacking Tenshinhan's dojo bullshit that adds nothing to the story. One would think that 17 would actually participate in the tournament after being told the consequences and knowing that he has the chance to protect his family and essentially nature (which he so cherishes) from being erased by participating.

I also don't appreciate Boo being shafted for the same lame goddamn excuse of him falling asleep. This has happened 3 or 4 fucking times now! Though bringing back Freeza may sound like a horrible concept, thinking about it, I am actually interested on how they are going to handle his character in the arc. I would've been less upset and frustrated if this wasn't at the expense of shafting Boo, one of the more interesting characters in the team. I wouldn't mind it if Roshi or Tenshinhan were replaced.
Yes it made no sense that he wouldn't tell them how severe the stakes of the tournament were, because it would have made them want to help immediately instead of what seemed like most of them not taking it seriously. Details like that made me feel like many of them were half effort and serving no purpose other then to stretch out the arc. Considering the recruitment took up about half of the entire tournament arc ,they're probably going to rush the hell out of the actual tournament like they did with the Black Goku arc. I have a feeling when the tournament is over these people that were hyping up and praising the recruitment episodes will feel a little disappointed after we are finished with the tournament in no time and it will feel like it just started.
Wait...how do you know the arc is or isnt half over?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"