Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Re: Do you see them giving the original DB the Kai treatment?

Post by cheddarsword » Thu May 25, 2017 4:09 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: If he had used his Zechs voice for Vegeta, you probably wouldn't have found him sub-par.
Aye, ye have a good point thar.

As it is though, it's not my taste. In fact, after watching a few dub comparison videos, the entire Ocean dub just... bugs me. From the writing to the VAs to the line delivery. The original Funi dub is good but I gotta say, Kai is my favorite so far.

But THIS... is just epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt_Wa7F3mco
I think you should blame the line delivery on the voice director and the script writer. They tell the voice actors how to say the lines and the scripts could cause the voice actors to elongate their vowels and to speak their lines very fast. And yes, the writing is pretty bad in the Ocean dub, but hey the old Funi dub had its fair share of bad cheesy lines (Cat loves food!). I wouldn't exactly blame the voice actors for the problems the Ocean dub had. IMO, the voice actors working at Ocean are very talented folks.
I guess what I should have said is that the voices don't fit the characters in the Ocean dub as much as the Funi/Kai voices do.

Freeza is especially a victim here. In Kai, we have what sounds like a spoiled brat of a boy that fits Freeza to a T. In the Funi dub, Freeza was voiced by a woman and you can tell. While there's nothing wrong with that, it ends up making a character who has been called male and viewed as such, seem feminine. Maybe that's what they were going for though? The Ocean dub VA makes him sound like a straight up girl! Maybe there IS nothing wrong with the fact alone but it just doesn't fit my vision of who freeza is.

The VAs might be good, (Drummond IS good) but the director wasn't.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm

cheddarsword wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
Aye, ye have a good point thar.

As it is though, it's not my taste. In fact, after watching a few dub comparison videos, the entire Ocean dub just... bugs me. From the writing to the VAs to the line delivery. The original Funi dub is good but I gotta say, Kai is my favorite so far.

But THIS... is just epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt_Wa7F3mco
I think you should blame the line delivery on the voice director and the script writer. They tell the voice actors how to say the lines and the scripts could cause the voice actors to elongate their vowels and to speak their lines very fast. And yes, the writing is pretty bad in the Ocean dub, but hey the old Funi dub had its fair share of bad cheesy lines (Cat loves food!). I wouldn't exactly blame the voice actors for the problems the Ocean dub had. IMO, the voice actors working at Ocean are very talented folks.
I guess what I should have said is that the voices don't fit the characters in the Ocean dub as much as the Funi/Kai voices do.

Freeza is especially a victim here. In Kai, we have what sounds like a spoiled brat of a boy that fits Freeza to a T. In the Funi dub, Freeza was voiced by a woman and you can tell. While there's nothing wrong with that, it ends up making a character who has been called male and viewed as such, seem feminine. Maybe that's what they were going for though? The Ocean dub VA makes him sound like a straight up girl! Maybe there IS nothing wrong with the fact alone but it just doesn't fit my vision of who freeza is.

The VAs might be good, (Drummond IS good) but the director wasn't.
I haven't heard one girl that sounds like Ocean Frieza...
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 am

Even i just want a re-dub from FUNimation because the Japanese version was excellent so no problem at all with it but dub was dumbed down with stupid line and for the most part bad voice acting
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30