Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Toriyama scribbled some notes on a napkin that said "PRETTY MAGICAL GIRL THAT TRANSFORMS INTO A FAT GIRL WHO FIGHTS FOR LOVE, IT'S A GAG". Some higher-up at TOEI received the napkin, wiped their mouth with it after eating a nice steak dinner, blowed their nose in it, and gave it to an intern and said "Here, write this character."

That's how I feel about Ribrianne. I have confidence that once she appears in Toyotaro's manga and is hopefully written well, the people who like her in the anime will look at the two side by side and go "Wow, she really was a terribly written character in the anime, wasn't she?"

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:57 pm

I don't mind her or hate her. The joke was funny the first time, but after a while it got old. I hope she is written better in the manga, but I don't have my hopes up.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Asura wrote:Toriyama scribbled some notes on a napkin that said "PRETTY MAGICAL GIRL THAT TRANSFORMS INTO A FAT GIRL WHO FIGHTS FOR LOVE, IT'S A GAG". Some higher-up at TOEI received the napkin, wiped their mouth with it after eating a nice steak dinner, blowed their nose in it, and gave it to an intern and said "Here, write this character."

That's how I feel about Ribrianne. I have confidence that once she appears in Toyotaro's manga and is hopefully written well, the people who like her in the anime will look at the two side by side and go "Wow, she really was a terribly written character in the anime, wasn't she?"
I doubt it, because most of the characters will resemble the Hero Academia ones.

Jiren is one of them already.

The Saiyan Girls will resemble Momo and Bakugou.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Asura wrote:Toriyama scribbled some notes on a napkin that said "PRETTY MAGICAL GIRL THAT TRANSFORMS INTO A FAT GIRL WHO FIGHTS FOR LOVE, IT'S A GAG". Some higher-up at TOEI received the napkin, wiped their mouth with it after eating a nice steak dinner, blowed their nose in it, and gave it to an intern and said "Here, write this character."

Not Really cause their we great things I like about her in the Anime and I don't think the Manga will change my mind much on that. Can it be better, maybe but I don't want to get ahead of myself until it is written and I have to see what it will be about.

Also, by the Napkin joke you said that was funny, I think more thought was put into Brianne then I or anyone originally thought and it came full circle by the end of 117. :wink:

Again go to my posts below links to see what I mean;

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&p=1419493#p1419439

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&p=1419493#p1419474

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&p=1419493#p1419483
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm

majinwarman wrote:I don't mind her or hate her. The joke was funny the first time, but after a while it got old. I hope she is written better in the manga, but I don't have my hopes up.
This is pretty much my stance on her character. I understood the magical girl parody right away and appreciated the joke for what it was. While I have no strong feelings on Ribrianne one way or the other, I felt that she had far overstayed her welcome several episodes ago and was getting to be a little grating. The joke was good for a gag or two, but dragging out her inclusion in the tournament only served to run the joke into the ground. It would be one thing if she played an integral role in the elimination of more characters, but she didn't. As of last episode, it became clear that she was never actually supposed to be a significant threat and only stuck around as long as she did for the sake of comedic relief. While comedic relief characters are fine, they need to be used sparingly or risk becoming an annoyance.

I would like to see how Toyotaro handles Ribrianne too and I hope that he uses her character in such a way as to not be too overbearing or obnoxious, but we'll see. I'm looking forward to seeing how he writes several characters actually. I'm already very happy with the way he's written Belmod and Jiren so far and it gives me hope that he'll do the same with the characterization of a few others. I'm not counting on anything just yet, but I have my fingers crossed.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:22 pm

perucho1990 wrote:

I doubt it, because most of the characters will resemble the Hero Academia ones.

Jiren is one of them already.

The Saiyan Girls will resemble Momo and Bakugou.
I don't follow My Hero Academia; would Caulifla and Kale resembling these characters be a good thing? Are Momo and Bakugou well-liked characters?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Wrote this in the episode thread:

The entire concept of Ribrianne is hilarious, but the execution was so, so bad. This is the sort of character that severely overstayed her welcome and, as lord turbo mentioned, beat a dead horse with the same tired joke over and over. Literally all her lines included "love" in them, and I swear she's had more screen time than Vegeta. Just a cringe-inducing character because they took what should have been a gag, and took the entire concept and character seriously enough to reward her with an abundance of scenes and focused episodes.

Ribrianne should have been a one-off, gags galore character that was immediately eliminated:
>Sailor Moon transformation interrupted once midway
>Sailor Moon transformation executed, only to reveal she turned fat instead.
>Should have been out of shape and easily taken out.

^ That should have been it. A parody of magical girls, 10-15 minutes of screentime max. Funny sequence. And done. No more Ribrianne.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 pm

perucho1990 wrote: The Saiyan Girls will resemble Momo and Bakugou.
Considering Caulifla has that generic smirk Toyotaro likes to give to his villains (Xicor, Goku Black, Merged Zamasu..)I fear what he may do. Especially since I hate all those characters from him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Wrote this in the episode thread:

The entire concept of Ribrianne is hilarious, but the execution was so, so bad. This is the sort of character that severely overstayed her welcome and, as lord turbo mentioned, beat a dead horse with the same tired joke over and over. Literally all her lines included "love" in them, and I swear she's had more screen time than Vegeta. Just a cringe-inducing character because they took what should have been a gag, and took the entire concept and character seriously enough to reward her with an abundance of scenes and focused episodes.

Ribrianne should have been a one-off, gags galore character that was immediately eliminated:
>Sailor Moon transformation interrupted once midway
>Sailor Moon transformation executed, only to reveal she turned fat instead.
>Should have been out of shape and easily taken out.

^ That should have been it. A parody of magical girls, 10-15 minutes of screentime max. Funny sequence. And done. No more Ribrianne.
And I gave a Response to your post on that other Thread about this Topic below, was a nice discussion, Thanks! =)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&p=1419531#p1419531
My #1 in DB!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Pretty mixed.

I have a good feeling Toriyama originally wrote Ribrianne to be a glorified gag character was meant to get eliminated almost instantly but Toei wanted to milk more out her character. I will be very interested to see how the manga handles her, but I still enjoy Ribrianne's character of being a deconstructive parody of the Magical Girl genre, and despite not really being any special in terms of power, I still found Ribrianne an quite entertaining character.

I can certainly see why some fans may not like her, give how repetitive her speeches are, and it also got annoying and grating to me personally after her initial episode in the tournament. I mean, for a character who was billed a key player for Universe 2, she has really not live up to that billing.

But I found her somewhat endearing, at least in her gag character specificity. I especially liked how humble and reflective she was in defeat. But.. yeah... I'm not going miss her terribly. If this is truly it for her as a character.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Chuquita wrote:
I don't follow My Hero Academia; would Caulifla and Kale resembling these characters be a good thing? Are Momo and Bakugou well-liked characters?
Bakugou is pretty much like Caulifla in the sense of wanting/believing to be the strongest in the world only to get humbled by the strongest babyface in the series. Despite that he is one of the popular characters in Hero Academia

Besides design, Momo was similar to Kale in the sense of having inner conflicts.(Momo was never a yandere btw).

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Pretty mixed.

I have a good feeling Toriyama originally wrote Ribrianne to be a glorified gag character was meant to get eliminated almost instantly but Toei wanted to milk more out her character. I will be very interested to see how the manga handles her, but I still enjoy Ribrianne's character of being a deconstructive parody of the Magical Girl genre, and despite not really being any special in terms of power, I still found Ribrianne an quite entertaining character.

I can certainly see why some fans may not like her, give how repetitive her speeches are, and it also got annoying and grating to me personally after her initial episode in the tournament. I mean, for a character who was billed a key player for Universe 2, she has really not live up to that billing.

But I found her somewhat endearing, at least in her gag character specificity. I especially liked how humble and reflective she was in defeat. But.. yeah... I'm not going miss her terribly. If this is truly it for her as a character.
Honestly I think the end of 117 just open of a whole new Arc for Both Brianne and her Friends as well as the end of 116 did for youngster saiyans of U6!

I explain in more detail in the link below;

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40428&start=220#p1419439
My #1 in DB!

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:40 pm

TOEI would be throwing money away to make an arc focused around the magical girls. I need to do more research, but every twitter account with some of the bigger fans/translators has a following completely tired of Ribrianne. You'll see a U6 arc before that, because TOEI doesn't intend to lose money.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:TOEI would be throwing money away to make an arc focused around the magical girls. I need to do more research, but every twitter account with some of the bigger fans/translators has a following completely tired of Ribrianne. You'll see a U6 arc before that, because TOEI doesn't intend to lose money.
I don't think it will be an arc exclusively for the magical girls, the arc will be the explorations of the other Universes and part of that will be the possible learning and training of the next generations of fighters, mainly the U6 Saiyans and the Magical Girls, among other things like Goku discovering why Jiren is so strong.

Also I don't think Twitter is the only thing to consider cause like forums and online in general they are just one small part of the fandom. I think Toei takes allot more into consideration that forum and twitter discussions.
My #1 in DB!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:TOEI would be throwing money away to make an arc focused around the magical girls. I need to do more research, but every twitter account with some of the bigger fans/translators has a following completely tired of Ribrianne. You'll see a U6 arc before that, because TOEI doesn't intend to lose money.
Yeah, if there is a U6 arc in 2018, hopefully it lasts most of 2018, lets try to make Anime 2018 even better :wave:

The only way the Magical girls couldve become relevant was if Brianne turned out pretty imo.

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
I don't think it will be an arc exclusively for the magical girls, the arc will be the explorations of the other Universes and part of that will be the possible learning and training of the next generations of fighters, mainly the U6 Saiyans and the Magical Girls, among other things like Goku discovering why Jiren is so strong.

Also I don't think Twitter is the only thing to consider cause like forums and online in general they are just one small part of the fandom. I think Toei takes allot more into consideration that forum and twitter discussions.
Merchandise sales, T shirts, downloadable content to their video games, episode ratings. I guarantee that anything and everything associated with Ribrianne is not a money maker. And that alone is going to substantiate my argument that you're living on a prayer.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Yeah, if there is a U6 arc in 2018, hopefully it lasts most of 2018, lets try to make Anime 2018 even better :wave:

The only way the Magical girls couldve become relevant was if Brianne turned out pretty imo.
While I think a new transformation should be included, I think if you piggyback off of the development she had by the end of 117 into so deep character development that would add much to Brianne's story and character as well as the other girls. :idea:
My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

Merchandise sales, T shirts, downloadable content to their video games, episode ratings. I guarantee that anything and everything associated with Ribrianne is not a money maker. And that alone is going to substantiate my argument that you're living on a prayer.
Indeed I disagree with all ideals given to you on your views, however I don't live anything that is just hope or pray on a character, but theory and observations of how things might happen and where they can go. I think Brianne will be a longtime project for Toei if they are serious, I don't think any of us can seriously know what the sales for her are right now or anyone else without data and facts from toei and the market itself/whoever monitors sales. I say this will be a longtime thing to observer.
My #1 in DB!

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

While I think a new transformation should be included, I think if you piggyback off of the development she had by the end of 117 into so deep character development that would add much to Brianne's story and character as well as the other girls. :idea:
i'm sorry man. I get it. I'm a big fan of things too, but there comes a time I use common sense and realize what is plausible and what is not. I'm a Vegeta fan. I understand that this show is about Goku and his ability to always ascend pass his limitations. Therefore, Vegeta ain't getting UI, and if he does, it's after Goku beats Jiren, and then he's one step behind again. Given how this past episode absolutely murdered Ribrianne, I fail to see how you can expect anything to come of this. Anyone can take a look and realize it... clear your mind of the biases and realize it. If she comes back it's gonna be a half episode cameo at best, the ratings are going to tank, and TOEI is going to cut ties. It's about money and I promise you, this blob doesn't bring it in.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:54 pm

I hold the belief that any character can be good if properly executed, no matter if their premise is bad. For example, Black has been executed differently in the anime and manga, and most people appear to prefer his anime incarnation because he revels in beauty and retains his calm without losing it once, whereas his manga version takes flak for being a sore loser and for being straightforward. Conversely, I can see some liking Jiren in the manga more for showing more of his personality than in the anime.

The concept that Ribrianne was based on, the magical girl subgenre, is good because not only was it home to a whole universe in Dragon Ball, opening possibilities for an interesting adventure if the main cast ever went there, but it also gave Toei a chance to play with and subvert common aspects of magical girls, such as Ribrianne turning unattractive upon transformation instead of gorgeous.

The problem with Ribrianne is that there were not many (good) jokes relating to her to keep me invested in the character. After having fun with her at first, early signs of my exhaustion with her came after episode 102, when she kept appearing every episode despite doing nothing of worth other than repeating the same jokes and parroting the word "love". Then, she proceeded to distract Goku from more important events going on in the tournament while not giving very interesting battles in return, and turns out that what she wanted to wish to the Super Dragon Balls was selfish. Later on, she finally shows signs of self-doubt, which opened possibilities to expand the character and make her grow into a more formidable opponent, resulting in Rozie finally slapping some sense into her. Unfortunately, it just led to her going back to normal until her eventual defeat humbled her a bit, but it was too late at that point since she won't be appearing much anymore.

Despite being the main player of U2, she only eliminated one fodder character and wasn't a threat to U7. She still did better than Nigrisshi, but that isn't saying much. Even the saiyan girls accomplished more.

Edit: I've imagined if in episode 91, Brianne de Chateau would have been introduced and killed the two drag queens without transforming. People would have gained interest in her and made her their waifu instantly. Then she transforms in episode 102 for the first time, and everyone freaks out that she's the fat girl fighting SSJ Vegeta in the opening. Would have been the most disgusting plot twist ever.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.