Super: Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Super: Yay or Nay?

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm no longer sure if I have the desire to watch Dragon Ball Super. It already has a lot going against it. DB is already plenty long. I've watched it several times through, so I'm a little burned out right now. A slew of series have been revived and so far most of them have been terrible. The first two arcs being retelling of the movies feels like a waste of time. There are a ton of other shows vying for my attention. A number of things on this forum make it sound like the show was written by fans of the show who are more interested in retreading a lot of their favorite moments or characters instead of taking the story into new areas. The one thing that seems promising is the Zamasu arc. From what I've read, it sounds somewhat interesting. I'd be happy to hear anyone's input.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Super: Yay or Nay?

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Give it a shot! Go in with an open mind. The best recommendation I can give you is to watch it for anything but the storytelling, because, while I enjoy it personally, most people would tell you it's absolute trash compared to the original series due to inconsistencies and poor writing (both of which are blown completely out of proportion IMO). If you were to watch just one arc, though, it should be the Zamasu arc. That's where most of the fuss and hype comes from, and it was probably the series' highest point in terms of writing (again, IMO).

Maybe someone else can provide more specific input, but hopefully this helps slightly.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 pm

I say go for it so you can just try it out. Skip the retellings and just start with episode 27 with the Universe 6 arc.

And if you're not liking it, just stop watching.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks, though when you say I should watch it for anything but the storytelling, what aspects are you referring to? The action, humor, music? What do you like?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:21 pm

My opinion is as usual, Super's been doing fine so far, some good some bad, but this particular era is not a material for endless milking and 300+ episodes or something. They need to switch things up sooner rather than later. Being stuck in this 10 year gap is major part of feeling like we're retreading same old despite big lore/universe expansion. "Cast in their prime" excuse is rearing its ugly side. Also, the fanservice needs tighter quality control. It's fine to bring back/reference/canonize some popular stuff from back in the day, but it should be properly justified and thought out, and presented with a unique or fresh take on it. It's fine if Kale get's LSSJ form, but do they really have to practically reanimate the Broly scenes and attacks? Vegetto is cool, but do something interesting with him rather than just bringing him back with blue hair and call it a day.

I say watch it, but be prepared to feel that in big part it's still a nostalgia/greatest hits production and has issues venturing into less safe areas.
Last edited by Basaku on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm

For what it's worth, I haven't watched any of it, and I don't particularly feel like I'm missing out.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm

ABED wrote:Thanks, though when you say I should watch it for anything but the storytelling, what aspects are you referring to? The action, humor, music? What do you like?
In my opinion the action and humour is fine. Music is hit or miss but its pretty solid in the Zamasu arc.

I'll be honest I love Super but if your going in expecting good storytelling you will be disappointed as the series as a whole (even the Zamasu arc) has lacked in this regard. Its more of a fun series, although that may not be to everyone's taste.

Just skip the movie retellings, start from the Champa arc and decide after a couple of episodes, or maybe even that whole arc if you want to keep going. Good luck.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:29 pm

ABED wrote:Thanks, though when you say I should watch it for anything but the storytelling, what aspects are you referring to? The action, humor, music? What do you like?
The humor is a little dull most of the time (though that depends on one's tastes), but the fights are interesting and unique, and the scenarios the characters are placed in can be engaging. I personally love the music, but that may be because I don't compare it to, say, Kikuchi as many watchers I've seen do. The new characters are pretty unique as well, even the "rehash" ones.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Skip the retellings and just start with episode 27 with the Universe 6 arc.
Nitpick: U6 arc starts with episode 28. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:30 pm

ABED, I'm one that was curious about your thoughts when you got around to seeing Super. So, you must... for yourself, of course. :p

But, yeah. The new series is as you said for the most part. It's very safe and clean, and plucks popular elements from the past and spins it into something here. The F.Trunks/Zamasu arc is worthwhile, imo, but that doesn't start up until Ep. #47. Nonsensical things often happen in Super, it's easier to take in if you just turn off the light in your head. Most people, I think, prefer the two films to the retellings -- which are Eps. #1-27. With the retellings, there were some things done that I'd preferred over the films, but there's some poorly handled content added here that didn't exist in the films (particularly in Resurrection 'F"). So, they cancel eachother out in a way, and I think that most people would go with the higher quality animation of the films. I would recommend that you see the retellings from the start because you'd have the benefit of marathoning those episodes.

The soundtrack/sound design is nearly akin to FUNi's old replacement score for the 1999-2001 dub -- it doesn't leave time for a scene to breathe as in the previous series'. The sound design in general is lacking in "oomph!".

There have been some good character additions to this series, so it's got that more-or-less. Being a big fan of the original series, you'll most likely find yourself trying to appreciate the ups, while contending much with the downs. Like I said, most people got to analyze these episodes from top to bottom during the week between each airing -- you have the benefit of marathoning and taking it in as it goes.

It has made improvements in some areas as time went on, although it likes to gloss over story details and get onto the next phase without blinking. It's much faster to the point.

Try it out

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Give it a shot. It's not the exactly the best well-written show around and it has its fair share of bad writing, but it's fun to watch, I enjoy it far more than GT.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Yay!*

Go into it with the realization that it isn't just a sequel series, but an interquel, and it suffers from many of the pitfalls that you'd expect. There are also the initial production problems, which render the first 3 arcs rather lackluster visually. However, despite being a bit of a black sheep, there are also many worthwhile things about the show. The new characters tend to be very interesting and fun. The downtime episodes, especially the comedic ones, are the best Dragon Ball has ever had. Despite lackluster visuals, there's a ton of interesting storyboard concepts. I'd disagree with most people who say the retellings should be skipped, as well. Firstly, there are some changes, if minor ones, that will improve the flow into the newer material. But more importantly, there are gems like Episodes 4, 11, and 14, which each feature either character art, storyboarding, or animation respectively that outshine the movie. You also have the expanded training on Beerus's Planet, which far surpassed what was in the RoF movie.

It's not something that's necessary to keep as close as the original, but it has been and still is interesting enough that you should watch the whole thing at least once.

Though if you're really unsure on whether or not you want to open the can of worms, drop a little cash on the first volume of Toyotaro's manga, which is essentially a small preview of the new material, along with a short, slightly altered telling of BoG serving as a prologue. If you aren't interested in what you see, then Super probably isn't for you.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I will get around to seeing it eventually, but I'm in no rush.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:25 pm

ABED wrote:DB is already plenty long. I've watched it several times through, so I'm a little burned out right now.

...the show was written by fans of the show who are more interested in retreading a lot of their favorite moments or characters instead of taking the story into new areas. The one thing that seems promising is the Zamasu arc. From what I've read, it sounds somewhat interesting.
This right here basically sums up all that needs to be said about Super.

Its a completely needless, thoroughly unnecessary addition to an already VERY over-long and over-stuffed series, one that VERY rarely ever threatens to take things anyplace that's truly new and justify its existence. It DOES have the feel of basically glorified fanfiction (people can carry on all they like about Toriyama's "involvement", but at the end of the day his sum total contribution is bullet-pointed note cards that other, far less talented people have to flesh out: this is BARELY more than what he gave to GT, and to hang onto this reason for Super's existence to me is the height of desperation).

The show overall seems to have been made by and for the sort of fans for whom 11+ years worth of manga anime anime (numbering over 40 tankobon and 400+ episodes and dozens of movies) was somehow not anywhere near enough and want to have their favorite moments and beats from them repeated yet again with a slightly different skin draped over it.

The animation eventually levels out into something that's generally pretty good and consistent, but not before suffering through VAST stretches early on where it looks just downright embarrassing. And the score is a dog throughout as well and is unacceptable considering the standard set by previous series (even GT).

Certain aspects of the Zamasu/Goku Black arc and a recent development in the Tournament of Power arc are about the only things that have even vague notions of doing something genuinely different with DB. These are minor hiccups of semi-originality though: 98% of the time for the most part though, this feels like it came directly out of Fanfiction.net.

This didn't need to exist and shouldn't have existed, and the fans of today who are genuinely crying and screeching for more Dragon Ball are genuinely insane people who want what is an inherently finite work to never, ever end and go on for all eternity until its a sad, hollowed out shell of what it once was. Dragon Ball was TEETERING dangerously on that kind of burnout already back in 1995, and ended just barely in enough time to keep it from tipping over fully.

Super is DB by and for the kinds of relentlessly clingy people who simply don't know when to quit, who cannot let go, and who don't know when to stop consuming something and just move on already.

Dragon Ball Super is the final mint that made the Mr. Creosote that is the rest of the DB franchise around it finally explode.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 pm

ABED wrote:I'm no longer sure if I have the desire to watch Dragon Ball Super. It already has a lot going against it. DB is already plenty long. I've watched it several times through, so I'm a little burned out right now. A slew of series have been revived and so far most of them have been terrible. The first two arcs being retelling of the movies feels like a waste of time. There are a ton of other shows vying for my attention. A number of things on this forum make it sound like the show was written by fans of the show who are more interested in retreading a lot of their favorite moments or characters instead of taking the story into new areas. The one thing that seems promising is the Zamasu arc. From what I've read, it sounds somewhat interesting. I'd be happy to hear anyone's input.
Nay.

As for my personal opinion, I view Super as a failed attempt into rebooting the franchise after the "golden age", which took place more than 15 years ago. The animation, story, atmosphere, and character designs from that era were completely disregarded. The premise behind rebooting the franchise was to "play it safe and give what the fans wanted" (STRONGER enemies, BIGGER explosions, MORE SSJ transformations), which was a terrible idea. Bringing back Freeza with powers that are as strong as "SSJ God" without any logical explanation, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in the history of this franchise (next to SSJG transformations). Goku Black is just a recycled villain from Turles in movie #3 who can turn into SSJG "Rose", which is quite laughable. Aside from having a female Broly, Trunks killing an evil villain using his sword because Vegetto wasn't strong enough, and Goku inviting Freeza into his galactic gang, I'd say this installment of the franchise is an atrocity, and therefore should be ignored indefinitely. If my opinion is too strong and makes you uncomfortable or disrupts the spirit of the Kanzenshuu community, then I will request to have a moderator remove it.

Super:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

DBZ:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Super:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 11 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm

I'll give it a yay. I can't really tell you anything the others haven't already, but If I were in your position I'd probably watch it eventually just to see what I think about it for myself.

It has plenty of fun moments and does a few interesting things later on, which I feel are worth it if the early episodes didn't turn you off by the time you get there.

Though it's nothing to be in any rush for, especially if you're feeling burned out on Dragonball. Watch it whenever you get the urge.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:01 pm

ABED wrote:I'm no longer sure if I have the desire to watch Dragon Ball Super. It already has a lot going against it. DB is already plenty long. I've watched it several times through, so I'm a little burned out right now. A slew of series have been revived and so far most of them have been terrible. The first two arcs being retelling of the movies feels like a waste of time. There are a ton of other shows vying for my attention. A number of things on this forum make it sound like the show was written by fans of the show who are more interested in retreading a lot of their favorite moments or characters instead of taking the story into new areas. The one thing that seems promising is the Zamasu arc. From what I've read, it sounds somewhat interesting. I'd be happy to hear anyone's input.
If you feel burn out then let sometime pass and watch when the burn out wore off.
As for whether DBSuper would be worthwhile for you, I don't know. I personally like it but, I assume you would be a better at judging whether the new material can meet your threshhold.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Start with the U6 Arc and move forward.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Goku Black is just a recycled villain from Turles in movie #3 who can turn into SSJG "Rose"
From what I've heard, isn't his motivation to destroy humans because like Lucifer he sees them as evil and destructive?

Are Goku Black and Zamasu two different characters?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 pm

ABED wrote:
Goku Black is just a recycled villain from Turles in movie #3 who can turn into SSJG "Rose"
From what I've heard, isn't his motivation to destroy humans because like Lucifer he sees them as evil and destructive?

Are Goku Black and Zamasu two different characters?
You'd have to go into spoilers for that, and mystery is kinda an important component to that arc. I'll just go with "Watch to find out!".

Either way, Goku Black is not a Tullece derivative. The only commonality there is "Evil Goku", but the characters act nothing alike, have totally different origins, and their narratives and personalities take entirely different directions. Honestly not sure how that comparison was made with a straight face.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Yay!

Go for it, just try to not let characters being out of character for a long time turn you off, it gets better and very close to what it should be with time..
Skip the retellings, as you said it indeed seems and is a waste of time, what little differences there are can be picked up later..

I personally only rewatch the uni 6 arc and nothing else, everything else was garbage including the Zamasu arc, as to why I am recommending super, is solely because the universe survival arc is going strong, real strong, exactly like what Dragonball should feel like
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker